Mail Sport: Sheffield United consider move to bring Chris Wilder back as manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A few things:

Week by week, game by game this squad is improving. Why change now?

With all the forrins we have in the squad, who plays?

Name me a manager with a worse last 3 appointments record (ex-rusties don't count).

How many go back and are more successful 2nd time around?

Weers money coming from? (binning off the entire coaching team will cost)

What happens if/when new owners/funders arrive? (they almost always want their appointment)

What is the rationale and target for this, that isn't achievable at the moment?

Why are Blades (fans and the club) so colloquial? If change is deemed necessary (it isn't in my opinion) can we have a bit of imagination and scope?

Jesus! Does anyone imagine that Wilder as DOF would be able to contain himself and not undermine Hecky? It would be another appalling decision designed to make Hecky's job even harder than it currently is. Hecky may not be the longterm candidate to manage this club, but the guy is currently meant to work under a set of circumstances that makes working at this level virtually impossible.

A few things:

Name me a manager with a worse last 3 appointments record (ex-rusties don't count).

What happens if/when new owners/funders arrive? (they almost always want their appointment)

Why are Blades (fans and the club) so colloquial? If change is deemed necessary (it isn't in my opinion) can we have a bit of imagination and scope?
Covered all salient points I think. Something that many posters fail to consider. Excellent post mate.

Winning one nil for 97 mins with three of the biggest chances of the game
Thing is though, shots into the keepers arms or into the fans behind the goal are not cumulative. Add them all up they count for nothing.

That was our plan. Restrict them to pot shots from distance.

Can't go on forever but 97 mins is already some going. We were just not smart after their equaliser. We should have been hoofing it miles away and parking the bus for 5 mins. It would still have been a good point. Very regrettable there was any room at all in the centre of our area.

Never go back .
70% possession 28 shots 620 passes 15 corners they ran fucking rings around us, the score line doesn't reflect how negative boring an poor we was with the ball. Constantly time wasting, we won't go anywhere fast If we carry on with these tactics. I don't expect us to go toe to toe with teams like spurs but we have to be braver and more controlled with the ball.
You haven't got a scooby doo

A few things:

Not a big fan of Hecky but during current uncertain circumstances he’s doing as good a job as anyone until off field is resolved.
If we get wealthy owners and there’s big money to spend on the squad I’d make it worth his while to walk and bring in a more talented proven head coach (don’t ask me who I’ve no feckin idea).

Jesus! Does anyone imagine that Wilder as DOF would be able to contain himself and not undermine Hecky? It would be another appalling decision designed to make Hecky's job even harder than it currently is. Hecky may not be the longterm candidate to manage this club, but the guy is currently meant to work under a set of circumstances that makes working at this level virtually impossible.
Hecky has done a great job under great pressure .All the shit that he has put up with and the rumours regarding the ownership and the embargo he has been brill . Went a few windows without being able to add to the squad and was still successful in getting to the prem (A LEAGUE THAT STINKS IN MY OPINION ) saving the club from melt down . Although I liked Wilder Hecky as shown he is right for the job to. Has had only limited funds to work with and brought in ten players some who look real quality he deserves some loyalty and support . We all knew this year would be really hard holding our own in this bent league and I can not think of anyone else who could do better without spending mega bucks which of course will never happen.

What do we do if we keep losing just keep losing?
Don't think there is a choice mate unless we have new owners with mega bucks . We just can not compete with clubs who spend 80 mill on just one player and then go out and spend another 50 mill on another one or two . We are living a millionaires life style with a fiver in our pocket ,

What's your solution? If you can name a miracle worker, one that falls within our fiscal limitations, then please provide the name of said saviour?
But if we keep losing fans will eventually get frustrated or do we keep it same. Or does Wilder come in at some point down line.

What do we do if we keep losing just keep losing?
Put bluntly, yes. Survival this season was always going to be a long shot even before Ndiaye went what with the ownership circus and no money. We keep the manager that has gradually been improving the squad despite all the shit off the field, who recognises and brings in talented youngsters etc and hope we can rebuild even better in the championship.

Rather that than some insane manager hail mary appointment because we suddenly thought we should be staying up.

For the record Wilder stayed with the Prince in his American home in May this year. This is when Prince and Wilder fixed their relationship.

Prince has made it clear to Wilder that should we start slow he would be interested in bringing Wilder back. Wilder was and is open to it.

He's also agreed with Sharp about a coaching role once he's completed his contract in MLS.

But if we keep losing fans will eventually get frustrated or do we keep it same. Or does Wilder come in at some point down line.
If we continue to lose then it may well be the case that Hecky's position becomes untenable, but why anyone imagines that Wilder, who has failed to repeat his success here at other clubs, would be an ideal fit escapes me. Nowhere has the name of Knill been mentioned, thus Wilder assumes the role of sole reason why we'd make a return to successful ways. We're only a few games into this season, at no time have we been thrashed (losing by the odd goal suggests we're not far off correcting these results), so kneejerk-ism, screaming for change, strikes me as entirely the result of wondering why things might have been any different given our parlous attempts in the transfer market?

For the record Wilder stayed with the Prince in his American home in May this year. This is when Prince and Wilder fixed their relationship.

Prince has made it clear to Wilder that should we start slow he would be interested in bringing Wilder back. Wilder was and is open to it.

He's also agreed with Sharp about a coaching role once he's completed his contract in MLS.
Bullshit alert,

Where exactly do you get this information from ?

There's absolutely zero chance this is anything other than the Daily Mail just making something up for a bit of engagement.

Bullshit alert,
Okay 🤷🏼‍♂️

This article backs up that they met in May.

“Chris Wilder thought the same. I met him maybe three weeks ago for lunch and we had a nice chat and reflected on that season. Playing without the fans was a big reason we got relegated. Hopefully, this time our fans will be there and this time we are there to stay, hopefully."

Where exactly do you get this information from ?

I know a member of Billy Sharps family. Billy and Chris Wilder have remained in contact ever since he left.

Last edited:
I've always felt Wilder should never have been let go in the first place but two wrongs don't make a right.

Hecky has more than earned the right to stay on - we've been very fine margins away from having 7 points right now, which would be one more than Man United.

And sacking him isn't suddenly going to make five multi-million pound footballers magically appear on our bench, the lack of which is what has cost us.

Let's be honest if we lose our next 4 or 5 the Prince will probably sack hecky anyway.

Back
Top Bottom