CONFIRMED Louie Marsh signs a new contract and loaned to Doncaster Rovers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ah, I see the "must have loan" merchants are out
It’s a well established and well trodden part of our Youth team pathway.

Obviously there the odd exception, but pretty much every youth player who’s made the grade has had a loan (or loans) as part of their developmental

David Brooks
DCL
Kyle Naughton
Kyle Walker
Matt Lowton
Norrington-Davies
Dan Jebbison
Will Osula
Aaron Ramsdale
Ben Whiteman
Tyler Smith
Regan Slater
Etc etc

So I’d say absolutely a loan is the next step for Marsh.

He should be in the first team, since at present we don't have a goal scorer, to me he looks like a natural goal scorer, scoring all types of goals, he reminds me of Keith Edward's at the same age.

All our great young played senior football at an early age, Tony Currie, Len Badger, Alan Woodward, Simon Stainrod, David Brooks, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire etc you don't learn anything from going out on loan, if you have the talent and skill, he will learn more from the senior professionals, that are at the club now, and by playing games at the highest level

Currie was 18, Marsh is 19.

That's not too young to be in the first team even if he does need to bulk up a bit.
George Best first game for Man U he was 17 he was like a skinned rabbit But what a player.

It’s a well established and well trodden part of our Youth team pathway.

Obviously there the odd exception, but pretty much every youth player who’s made the grade has had a loan (or loans) as part of their developmental

David Brooks
DCL
Kyle Naughton
Kyle Walker
Matt Lowton
Norrington-Davies
Dan Jebbison
Will Osula
Aaron Ramsdale
Ben Whiteman
Tyler Smith
Regan Slater
Etc etc

So I’d say absolutely a loan is the next step for Marsh.
Even Ndiaye went out for a bit way down the pyramid to Hyde I think.

At a guess the plan with Marsh could be an EFL loan with the protection of being able to recall him and then send him out to another EFL club. Probably why we aren't burning one of our cards on him getting any first team minutes with us yet. Some player

He should be in the first team, since at present we don't have a goal scorer, to me he looks like a natural goal scorer, scoring all types of goals, he reminds me of Keith Edward's at the same age.

All our great young played senior football at an early age, Tony Currie, Len Badger, Alan Woodward, Simon Stainrod, David Brooks, Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire etc you don't learn anything from going out on loan, if you have the talent and skill, he will learn more from the senior professionals, that are at the club now, and by playing games at the highest level

What a load of bollocks.

Loans aren’t necessarily to just learn, they’re to mould what you already have, to gain confidence in professional football, to test yourself on a higher platform, to gain experience, to strengthen what you already have, to catch a feeling of what it could be like for United.

Loans are developmental. He should absolutely be on loan somewhere fairly decent. Otherwise, we Chuck him too early and he doesn’t hit fans’ expectations and goes off piste.

Development loans are just a thing, that were never a thing, which have now become a thing, because football thinks it needs new things all the time.

Think back. How long has this idea of development loans been a thing? All them famous Blades of the past, whose development was cemented by a range of loans, yes them, all them from ten years ago or before, that you can't name, because ... well because, they weren't a thing then.

Development loans have gone from - what the fucks that to must have - in next to no time. That's football....

Development loans are just a thing, that were never a thing, which have now become a thing, because football thinks it needs new things all the time.

Think back. How long has this idea of development loans been a thing? All them famous Blades of the past, whose development was cemented by a range of loans, yes them, all them from ten years ago or before, that you can't name, because ... well because, they weren't a thing then.

Development loans have gone from - what the fucks that to must have - in next to no time. That's football....

Agreed

I was telling Yogi this the other day, less than 3% of players who go on "development" loans to a lower tiered team end up being a regular in their teams first team in the future.

Development loans are a myth and you can argue that it actually has more of a negative impact than positive

Until we sort out the striker situation then Marsh has to stay in the first team squad. A loan may come later.

As far as age is concerned - Trevor Francis was 16 when he started scoring golas for fun. 15 goals in 22 games for Brum in his first season.

'If you're good enough then you're old enough'

Agreed

I was telling Yogi this the other day, less than 3% of players who go on "development" loans to a lower tiered team end up being a regular in their teams first team in the future.

Development loans are a myth and you can argue that it actually has more of a negative impact than positive
You can make the argument that the best preparation for playing for Sheffield United first team is playing for Sheffield United first team!

Loans are also a way for clubs to stockpile players because they don't quite have the guts to blood them on their own watch and have them make those mistakes that come with it.

Meanwhile, let's encourage the club to spend 20m on Archer who hasn't kicked a ball in the Premier League in his life (unless I'm mistaken).

I do get if we have the chance to loan in a ready made player who has some track record but we have Osula, Jebbison, Marsh, Hackford and arguably Traore. How many more blockers do we need to put in front of them on the conveyor belt?

George Best first game for Man U he was 17 he was like a skinned rabbit But what a player.
Yep, when defenders were drinking the night before games and on 20 Park drive a day. Completely different game now.(not denying Best was something special). Definitely a loan should be the next step.

Until we sort out the striker situation then Marsh has to stay in the first team squad. A loan may come later.

As far as age is concerned - Trevor Francis was 16 when he started scoring golas for fun. 15 goals in 22 games for Brum in his first season.

Not always the case. I’m sure Louis will be a good player, but I don’t think it’s fair comparing him to Trevor Francis.

Marshy has made rapid progress in the last 12 months,I think Hecki and his coaches will know when it's time to blood him or loan him out.
He has become a good size! Just needs to bulk up a bit ! at present he's a bit lightweight ! as I said Hecki will know.

What I'd say is if a player has the tools at say 19 he won't benefit from playing with a bunch of cloggers ,nurture him in and around the first team ,where he will train with international players and who have far higher levels than say league 2 players .
The lad knows where the onion bag is that's for sure .

Development loans mean players are not available when opportunities arise. I've reminded people "on here" a number of times that Harry Boyes was/is our best LWB, LM prospect. Yet his name rarely crops up, and he's not been able to take advantage in pre season of our thin squad because he's on loan at that club we've all forgotten about.
Development loans are where exciting young players go to die...

He should be pencilled in to start against Lincoln, the on the bench for the Everton game etc, he must be training with the first team so getting to know the system, then if he's good enough,get him in!

Not always the case. I’m sure Louis will be a good player, but I don’t think it’s fair comparing him to Trevor Francis.

I'm not really comparing him with Trevor Francis. I'm trying to point out that age shouldn't be a barrier.

However when you see the name George Best mentioned on a thread about Louie Marsh then the discussion is totally open to any comparisons.

What a load of bollocks.

Loans aren’t necessarily to just learn, they’re to mould what you already have, to gain confidence in professional football, to test yourself on a higher platform, to gain experience, to strengthen what you already have, to catch a feeling of what it could be like for United.

Loans are developmental. He should absolutely be on loan somewhere fairly decent. Otherwise, we Chuck him too early and he doesn’t hit fans’ expectations and goes off piste.
Don't mince your words will you, I learnt to play football with older players, you learn from your elders, he's 19, young people went to war to defend this country younger than 19, my father was 17. The loan system as become a joke, we should be playing our own young lads, that's the only way you gain experience.

Marsh got game time in pre season, and will have been training with the first team squad all summer.

If Hecky thought he had a chance of making the step up, now would have been the time.

Don't mince your words will you, I learnt to play football with older players, you learn from your elders, he's 19, young people went to war to defend this country younger than 19, my father was 17. The loan system as become a joke, we should be playing our own young lads, that's the only way you gain experience.
The vast majority of our young lads end up in non league. Can you imagine us playing Elliot Whitehouse, Matt Harriet, DDG, Jake Eastwood etc in the Premier League against the worldwide best of the best?

Playing our young lads isn't the only way you gain experience, because loans are a thing.

when was the last time we had a academy striker that came out & was a success straight away at Sheffield united. osula could be put its too soon. Hackford, Jebbison arent currently they burst onto the scene but havent done much since, Sharp goes without saying, but wasnt til his 3rd attempt & 12 yrs later

when was the last time we had a academy striker that came out & was a success straight away at Sheffield united. osula could be put its too soon. Hackford, Jebbison arent currently they burst onto the scene but havent done much since, Sharp goes without saying, but wasnt til his 3rd attempt & 12 yrs later
Ndiaye he wasn’t an instant starter but he had success early on and consistently built on that.

I agree. Ultimately, every player is different and basing any decision (loan or no loan), based purely on whichever historical stats you pull up, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best choice for that individual.

Slew.

Came in and did well. If he’d have stayed a bit longer his career could have been totally different, given the good (albeit ultimately disappointing season), we had.

Sharp never really got a chance the first time.

Ndiaye he wasn’t an instant starter but he had success early on and consistently built on that.
i didnt think ndiaye was a striker i thought he was an attacking midfielder/number 10 like juan Mata, David Silva, isco were for spain

i didnt think ndiaye was a striker i thought he was an attacking midfielder/number 10 like juan Mata, David Silva, isco were for spain
He played upfront for the academy and senior sides. He took the Didzy role as a second striker. We also played MGW upfront under Hecky not in midfield

Back
Top Bottom