Are we currently towards the end of a long term plan?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MojoMuffin

Reaction score
Bare with me on this. I understand this may be giving credit where it isn't due, but is this just the tough bit of a long term plan which comes to fruition next year?

Is this how the story goes?

1) Relegation from the Premier League in 20/21. Finances are a concern now given we're relegated with the below players that were signed during our top flight tenure, who are possibly on very good wages plus the affects of the covid fall-out. Relegation clauses may have been in-place, but we're still bleeding money.
(Berge, Mcburnie, Moose, Robinson, Freeman, Osborn, Brewster, Ramsdale, Burke, Bogle, Lowe.)

2) Slav gets appointed for a promotion charge in 21/22 and we sell Ramsdale to Arsenal and loan out 4 of the signings made in the Premier League. Slav changes the formation and play style completely, it doesn't go well and is sacked by November with a hefty pay-off from the club.

3) The memorable press conference comes out regarding future strategy in terms of promoting youth from the academy and through UW. Hecky is appointed to run the first team for a 2nd time.

4) After a below par start to the season, Hecky somehow manages to get us into the play-offs, of which we fail to win and remain in the Championship for a second season.

5) True to the future strategy conference, in 22/23 we only sign one player in Anel Ahmedhodzic but replace the expired loan of MGW with the loan signing of Macca from City and give Ndiaye a change to shine in the first team. We also bring in Doyle, Clark and Khadra in on loan whilst Moose, Burke, Freeman and the rolls royce leave on free transfers.

At this point, finances are in a very poor state of which towards the end of a brilliant season we're unable to afford the upkeep of the stadium and are placed under a transfer embargo due to defaulted payments on Ahmedhodzic. Money is scarce, the Prince is skint and we can't even afford to feed our own grass.

6) We are promoted automatically to the Premier League at the end of the 22/23 season. I genuinely think this comes as a surprise to the board and the new transfer strategy was based on a model of us being in the Championship for another 2 or 3 seasons. The promotion funds fill a big hole in the finances and secure a more promising future for the club for the next few years to come.

7) This is where my biggest criticism comes in. Despite boasting what appeared to be a well thought out business model of promoting youth into the first team, we are promoted to the Premier League with an absolute exodus of players looming the following summer with contracts expiring not just throughout the starting 11, but through the youth ranks of which were apparently destined to be our future first team. It's my understanding that we made large efforts on certain players to extend them last summer but failed to do so, ala Ndiaye.

Now, with a caveat to the contract situation, the only thing I can assume is that we simply did not have the money to extend contracts to 10-14 players. Which if so, this is where I may be giving too much credit to this long term plan because the board took one of the riskiest decisions with the club that I've seen in my life time to use non-guaranteed promotion funds to secure the signatures of our future team. It's possible, especially with what we've seen with other teams that we took a massive gamble by making some (contextually for us) big-money loans and signed a promising defender that we couldn't afford to give it one vital last go to get promoted. It paid off and we'll never know what would have happened if we didn't go up. Thank fuck we went up.

8) I still maintain the opinion that this was not the season to splash the cash, of which we were clearly lacking. I think the transfer strategy remains the same but due to the sales of Ndiaye, Berge, two players who did not want to play for us anymore, along with some of the promotion funds, we go for young, promising players. We take a realistic stance on our chance in the Premier League and decide to sign players who would give us a much better chance of promotion next season, rather than relying on young lads from the academy as per the original strategy.

We bring in Hamer, Souza, Trusty, Traore, Slimane and Davies. Players we hope will perform well at this level, but at the very least be up to par in the Championship the following season. We also take a punt at survival with the 2nd loan spell of Macca, a few names to cover injuries and also what could have been a clever deal with Villa to sign Archer with an obligation for them to buy him back upon relegation. We also take a punt on BBD in the JTW. There's absolutely no guarantee all of the players we signed to long term contracts remain with us. That will however be at the clubs discretion and Traore looks to be already out the door. Outside of the signings we have made in the summer, it's anyone's guess who remains and leave. Again though, that will be at the clubs discretion given we're fixing errors made in regards to contracts.

Macca, BBD and Archer will leave but at Championship level, these aren't irreplaceable. O-hare with his contract expiring in the summer could be a decent replacement for Macca rather than another loan for that position. Archer has shown some clinical ability in the top flight and definitely in the Championship, but I do feel there'll be another striker we either sign, loan or give a chance to in our younger lads that can do a job next season.

Now, my point here in regards towards the end of a long term plan - A plan to build a team that can get promoted from the Championship. If the original plan was to build a young squad capable of getting promoted to the Premier League, I do think that plan comes to fruition next year. I think it's come sooner than expected because of an unexpected promotion of which we have taken the opportunity to sign better young players for that promotion push rather than academy lads we would have relied on and had to develop for a few more seasons in the Championship.

I completely understand the frustration of what's happening this season and the embarrassment of results that we've had to watch. I'm just trying to take a step back from the Saturday kick-offs and try and see a bigger picture, particularly the picture that the board painted for us, and based on what we've done so far with players and contracts, this is where I'm at with it. I'm looking forward to next season, genuinely. I know people are pissed off and bored of chucking 50 quid away a weekend to watch us getting spanked to bits at this level, but with the squad we've got and the fact we only sold Ramsdale upon relegation after splashing over 100m, I do think the Prince will try and keep this squad together based on the strategy they went with. Best guess, Anel goes after relegation and a few of the old boys. I don't think we'll do a lot of business in the summer due to what we've done last summer, plus we have brilliant youth in Osula, Brooks, Arblaster etc who could play a big part next season too. There's a lot of unknowns about next season in terms of the sale of the club, coaching team and management which you can't legislate for, but I'm quietly confident we'll be there or thereabouts in terms of a promotion push.

Notes to add:
  • United World is shite.
  • Lower your asking price, Prince.
  • I'm not a clapper or a fanny.

I think a lot of that makes sense. There may well have been an overall strategy along the lines you suggest, but also plenty of ad hoc and opportunistic decision making along the way.

We know we were in a bad financial state following the last relegation. That would have only got worse if we’d stayed in the Championship beyond the end of parachute payments. So last year, the Prince did indeed take a gamble by keeping Berge and Ndiaye in the hope they would help win us promotion. He could have lost that bet (exacerbating the financial issues), but thankfully it paid off.

Once promotion was secured, the Prince was faced with a choice: a) use the money to pay off the debts, spend little, accept we will get relegated barring a miracle; or b) spend the £100m premier league windfall on trying to stay up, still have a high risk of relegation, and continue carrying the debt. (Of course, in reality three were middle paths between a and b). He essentially chose a. That’s never going to be popular with us fans, but in truth was probably the right call for the long term health of the club.

Where the Prince messed it up was in failing to sell the club late last season or over the summer, when its value would have been at its highest. Instead (I don’t know why - I can only assume a lack of due diligence), he wasted time giving a period of exclusivity to Dozy, and when that collapsed he struggled to get another buyer. The value of the club now (relegation certain; a major squad rebuild needed) will be far lower than it was then.

The strategy for next season is much less clear. We don’t have large debts now. So do we try to continue on a break-even basis, trusting that youth and a few low-cost additions to the squad will be enough for promotion? Or do we splash out and start acquiring debt again?

Doubt it, Abdullah’s short term plan was to sell the club, he failed to do so and now I think we’re freewheeling to wherever we end up.

We’ll be back in the Championship with a weaker squad than we got promoted with (assuming the bank is empty and we won’t make expensive signings) and on the back of one of the most demotivating seasons we could possibly have.

Weird plan.

It feels like we are actually in a perpetual cycle of kicking the can down the road to be honest, whilst occasionally being beneficiaries of some force majeure.

Wilder took us up two divisions. It wasn’t really because of investment, and I know the Prince and McCabe put some in, but even then a lot of the initial rebuild came from Calvert-Lewin and Ramsdale being offloaded and the promotion push on the back of selling David Brooks. They lucked out first time with Wilder.

They can claim credit with Hecky because that longish term plan went a little against the grain. But he had to put up with such an absence of backing, that certainly couldn’t have been the plan, and I bet they probably couldn’t believe we finished top two; fails takeovers, embargo’s, only one perm deal etc.

And here we are again, half the squad out of contract, hoping Wilder can somehow through force of will assemble a promotion team from the pieces.

And that’s just me being positive l! 😆

I’m telling you now we will go down and bounce straight up again. We will win the championship I think, our youngsters should thrive next season

If you're right, fruition of the plan will be heavily dependent upon the effectiveness of last Summer's signings and 'ahead of the curve' youth development.

Ironically, given that midfield has been a massive weakness for us, this season, there's a decent argument that it might be our strength, next season. Davies, Hamer and Arblaster should mean decent possession and creativity. Then you're looking at whether Souza, Slimane, Brooks (all playing with the confidence that comes from winning more regularly), plus acquisitions, can mean we consistently boss games.

Add Egan into a back three with Anel and Trusty and there's a foundation for defensive stability, with a decent loan or two to bolster ranks.

The main issue will be scoring goals, without a MGW, N'diaye, McAtee to cause havoc for the opposition. Expecting Osula to contribute double figures is hopeful, rather than optimistic, so getting the recruitment right, up top, will be the key to everything.

Being a football fan is always heavily tainted by optimism and pessimism. It's why last year's promotion never really felt like a cause for celebration, when the Wilder one did. Of course, we couldn't feel more pessimistic than we currently do, being so far out of our depth, but it can change in the space of one transfer window.

I’m telling you now we will go down and bounce straight up again. We will win the championship I think, our youngsters should thrive next season
I said exactly the same when I was 14 in 1976 as Jimmy Sirrel played youngsters like Edwards, Stainrod, Garner, Ludlam and McGeady in the 1st team in the 2nd half of the previous season. I was wrong as it took us back in the top flight 14 years later!

If their plan was to be surprised we got promoted they may I suggest their plan is pretty flawed. We were obviously going to be there or there abouts.

He's been trying to sell and has no money. That's his plan. Sell.

Confident predictions of having to watch the Blades play yet more Premier League football in the near-ish future? I just don't need this level of negativity in my life...

Bare with me on this. I understand this may be giving credit where it isn't due, but is this just the tough bit of a long term plan which comes to fruition next year?

Is this how the story goes?

1) Relegation from the Premier League in 20/21. Finances are a concern now given we're relegated with the below players that were signed during our top flight tenure, who are possibly on very good wages plus the affects of the covid fall-out. Relegation clauses may have been in-place, but we're still bleeding money.
(Berge, Mcburnie, Moose, Robinson, Freeman, Osborn, Brewster, Ramsdale, Burke, Bogle, Lowe.)

2) Slav gets appointed for a promotion charge in 21/22 and we sell Ramsdale to Arsenal and loan out 4 of the signings made in the Premier League. Slav changes the formation and play style completely, it doesn't go well and is sacked by November with a hefty pay-off from the club.

3) The memorable press conference comes out regarding future strategy in terms of promoting youth from the academy and through UW. Hecky is appointed to run the first team for a 2nd time.

4) After a below par start to the season, Hecky somehow manages to get us into the play-offs, of which we fail to win and remain in the Championship for a second season.

5) True to the future strategy conference, in 22/23 we only sign one player in Anel Ahmedhodzic but replace the expired loan of MGW with the loan signing of Macca from City and give Ndiaye a change to shine in the first team. We also bring in Doyle, Clark and Khadra in on loan whilst Moose, Burke, Freeman and the rolls royce leave on free transfers.

At this point, finances are in a very poor state of which towards the end of a brilliant season we're unable to afford the upkeep of the stadium and are placed under a transfer embargo due to defaulted payments on Ahmedhodzic. Money is scarce, the Prince is skint and we can't even afford to feed our own grass.

6) We are promoted automatically to the Premier League at the end of the 22/23 season. I genuinely think this comes as a surprise to the board and the new transfer strategy was based on a model of us being in the Championship for another 2 or 3 seasons. The promotion funds fill a big hole in the finances and secure a more promising future for the club for the next few years to come.

7) This is where my biggest criticism comes in. Despite boasting what appeared to be a well thought out business model of promoting youth into the first team, we are promoted to the Premier League with an absolute exodus of players looming the following summer with contracts expiring not just throughout the starting 11, but through the youth ranks of which were apparently destined to be our future first team. It's my understanding that we made large efforts on certain players to extend them last summer but failed to do so, ala Ndiaye.

Now, with a caveat to the contract situation, the only thing I can assume is that we simply did not have the money to extend contracts to 10-14 players. Which if so, this is where I may be giving too much credit to this long term plan because the board took one of the riskiest decisions with the club that I've seen in my life time to use non-guaranteed promotion funds to secure the signatures of our future team. It's possible, especially with what we've seen with other teams that we took a massive gamble by making some (contextually for us) big-money loans and signed a promising defender that we couldn't afford to give it one vital last go to get promoted. It paid off and we'll never know what would have happened if we didn't go up. Thank fuck we went up.

8) I still maintain the opinion that this was not the season to splash the cash, of which we were clearly lacking. I think the transfer strategy remains the same but due to the sales of Ndiaye, Berge, two players who did not want to play for us anymore, along with some of the promotion funds, we go for young, promising players. We take a realistic stance on our chance in the Premier League and decide to sign players who would give us a much better chance of promotion next season, rather than relying on young lads from the academy as per the original strategy.

We bring in Hamer, Souza, Trusty, Traore, Slimane and Davies. Players we hope will perform well at this level, but at the very least be up to par in the Championship the following season. We also take a punt at survival with the 2nd loan spell of Macca, a few names to cover injuries and also what could have been a clever deal with Villa to sign Archer with an obligation for them to buy him back upon relegation. We also take a punt on BBD in the JTW. There's absolutely no guarantee all of the players we signed to long term contracts remain with us. That will however be at the clubs discretion and Traore looks to be already out the door. Outside of the signings we have made in the summer, it's anyone's guess who remains and leave. Again though, that will be at the clubs discretion given we're fixing errors made in regards to contracts.

Macca, BBD and Archer will leave but at Championship level, these aren't irreplaceable. O-hare with his contract expiring in the summer could be a decent replacement for Macca rather than another loan for that position. Archer has shown some clinical ability in the top flight and definitely in the Championship, but I do feel there'll be another striker we either sign, loan or give a chance to in our younger lads that can do a job next season.

Now, my point here in regards towards the end of a long term plan - A plan to build a team that can get promoted from the Championship. If the original plan was to build a young squad capable of getting promoted to the Premier League, I do think that plan comes to fruition next year. I think it's come sooner than expected because of an unexpected promotion of which we have taken the opportunity to sign better young players for that promotion push rather than academy lads we would have relied on and had to develop for a few more seasons in the Championship.

I completely understand the frustration of what's happening this season and the embarrassment of results that we've had to watch. I'm just trying to take a step back from the Saturday kick-offs and try and see a bigger picture, particularly the picture that the board painted for us, and based on what we've done so far with players and contracts, this is where I'm at with it. I'm looking forward to next season, genuinely. I know people are pissed off and bored of chucking 50 quid away a weekend to watch us getting spanked to bits at this level, but with the squad we've got and the fact we only sold Ramsdale upon relegation after splashing over 100m, I do think the Prince will try and keep this squad together based on the strategy they went with. Best guess, Anel goes after relegation and a few of the old boys. I don't think we'll do a lot of business in the summer due to what we've done last summer, plus we have brilliant youth in Osula, Brooks, Arblaster etc who could play a big part next season too. There's a lot of unknowns about next season in terms of the sale of the club, coaching team and management which you can't legislate for, but I'm quietly confident we'll be there or thereabouts in terms of a promotion push.

Notes to add:
  • United World is shite.
  • Lower your asking price, Prince.
  • I'm not a clapper or a fanny.

A great deal to digest. I am all in favour of promoting and developing the youth, A concern however is your final paragraph.

'..plus we have brilliant youth in Osula, Brooks, Arblaster etc.'

Who else falls into the 'etc.' bracket?

If you did a SWOT analysis on Sheffield United our strengths would be developing academy players something historically been good at for last 20 odd years and developing up and coming future stars on loan from the big 6 clubs.

Our weaknesses would be national and international senior signings, meeting transfer demands and meeting wage demands.

I’m of the belief that the board are strongly committed to working to our strengths and we will see a Cat 1 academy sooner than people may expect with the goal to eventually have one of the top 10 academies in the country .

All youth players released by Prem clubs we are actively monitoring as well as talking to.

A great deal to digest. I am all in favour of promoting and developing the youth, A concern however is your final paragraph.

'..plus we have brilliant youth in Osula, Brooks, Arblaster etc.'

Who else falls into the 'etc.' bracket?
Jebbo (if he signs), Hackford, Onè and hopefully Sam Curtis would be the ones I hope will play their part at Championship level. We've also got Seriki and Buyabu who may be useful when called upon. I'm not saying these are the lads to get us competing for the plays offs or automatic promotion, but I don't think our bench next season will look nearly as ineffective as it does in the Premier League.

Really hope we add to the squad in the summer because at the moment this squad won't even flirt with the top 6 next season after a season like this, they'll be shot to bits. Only way to get a resurgence to go again is to bring in additions. As for Anel, I'd cash in on him. Personally to me hasn't been the same since glandular fever, cash in and reimburse the money into the playing squad. A Centre half, a striker, an attacking midfielder and a couple of wingers (if we are to persist with 4-3-3 next season).

The long long long term plan was there all along.

But the club for next to nothing (cuckoo in the nest) flip it quickly for a huge profit

Really hope we add to the squad in the summer because at the moment this squad won't even flirt with the top 6 next season after a season like this, they'll be shot to bits.

If we kicked off in the Championship tomorrow with this squad, we'd easily make the top 6.
We obviously cant/won't have this squad though. Archer, Brereton-Diaz and McAtee all instantly go back, then we have a number of players out of contract.

Let's say all those are released. Then your point is valid.

But to say THIS squad of players doesn't flirt with top 6 is a ridiculous statement.

If we kicked off in the Championship tomorrow with this squad, we'd easily make the top 6.
We obviously cant/won't have this squad though. Archer, Brereton-Diaz and McAtee all instantly go back, then we have a number of players out of contract.

Let's say all those are released. Then your point is valid.

But to say THIS squad of players doesn't flirt with top 6 is a ridiculous statement.
Not ridiculous just an opinion different to yours and one which I agree with. I think you are over estimating the ability of many of our players.

I think you are over estimating the ability of many of our players.
I don't.
I think many of our fans can't realise the gulf in class between the Championship and the Premier League.

As i've stated many times on here already. Burnley walked the league last season, spent over £100m (NET SPEND) and currently sit 3 points above us.
Do you think Burnley are good enough to finish in the top 6 next season, I bet 90% on here would say yes.

"Worst side ever" I've seen this week. 🤣 It's the blades way.
Glass is always empty. Not even half-empty, it's like someone has given them the pint, then poured it on the floor in front of their eyes.

If this is the worst side we've ever had, what were these?

Speed/Adams Relegation 2011:
(the lineup vs. Barnsley (2-2) which sent us down)
Simonsen
Lowton (21yo) - Lowry - Maguire (17yo) - Mattock
Helge-Riise - Williamson - Montgomery - S.Quinn
Henderson - Slew
Adkins League 1 2016:
(the lineup on the last game of the season (0-2 vs. Scunthorpe))

Long
Baptiste - Edgar - McEverley
Coutts - Basham - Hammond - Woolford - Done
Adams - Sharp
Yeovil Play Off Semi Final 2013:
(the lineup in Play Off leg 1 at home)

Long
Westlake - Collins - Maguire - Hill
Robson - McDonald - Doyle - Murphy
Kitson - Porter
Hull City are currently in the top 6 in the championship with a back 4 of - Lewie Coyle, Alfie Jones, Sean McLoughin & Jacob Greaves.
Greaves is decent, would any of the others get into our leaky defence? Not a chance. And that above is a top 6 championship defence.

Kyle Bartley is still a regular starter for West Brom. Only Leeds and Leicester have conceded less than WBA.

People need to stop wetting the bed

Last edited:

I think a lot of that makes sense. There may well have been an overall strategy along the lines you suggest, but also plenty of ad hoc and opportunistic decision making along the way.

We know we were in a bad financial state following the last relegation. That would have only got worse if we’d stayed in the Championship beyond the end of parachute payments. So last year, the Prince did indeed take a gamble by keeping Berge and Ndiaye in the hope they would help win us promotion. He could have lost that bet (exacerbating the financial issues), but thankfully it paid off.

Once promotion was secured, the Prince was faced with a choice: a) use the money to pay off the debts, spend little, accept we will get relegated barring a miracle; or b) spend the £100m premier league windfall on trying to stay up, still have a high risk of relegation, and continue carrying the debt. (Of course, in reality three were middle paths between a and b). He essentially chose a. That’s never going to be popular with us fans, but in truth was probably the right call for the long term health of the club.

Where the Prince messed it up was in failing to sell the club late last season or over the summer, when its value would have been at its highest. Instead (I don’t know why - I can only assume a lack of due diligence), he wasted time giving a period of exclusivity to Dozy, and when that collapsed he struggled to get another buyer. The value of the club now (relegation certain; a major squad rebuild needed) will be far lower than it was then.

The strategy for next season is much less clear. We don’t have large debts now. So do we try to continue on a break-even basis, trusting that youth and a few low-cost additions to the squad will be enough for promotion? Or do we splash out and start acquiring debt again?

Good post that.

Agree, it was all going so well for the Prince. He thought he’s sold to Dozy and could walk away with his head held high.

It’s like retiring and buying a property abroad. From Jan23 to May23 we were a rudderless ship, Dozy still hadn’t taken control and the Prince was on the beach.

Think this period is when the damage was done because there was no clear well thought out plan regards transfer targets and contracts.

Hecky had a terrible Summer pre-season and when he lost N’Diaye he must have realised we’ve no chance of staying up. My problem with Hecky is that he must have transferred his feelings to the players because they gave up far too early.

Back
Top Bottom