Contract situation end of 22-23 season - help?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
In years past this excellent forum has had a pinned post about the current squad and it's contract situation. I cannot see anything this year (probably as so many are out of contract!) but wondered if anyone can help clarify situation with all the players?

I know we have a good idea on some who are definitely out of contract but there are loads of others that seem to be up or have options maybe - including young players like Jebbison and Osula who I have seen nothing to suggest they have signed new deals since the last ones they signed (first pro contracts) which is a worry and shows the uncertainty behind the scenes may mean we lose some players sadly we wanted to keep?

I am going to be writing my end of season review come mid May so be useful if anyone can give some clarity in years/any contracts signed that may seem some here longer? Some of below may be wrong - I am sure the two young keepers Amissah and Wharton have another year and also believe Arblaster, Brooks and Peck had longer deals when they signed first pro deal - certainly Arblaster signed a longer contract this season?

We have 14 senior players out of contact I believe?

You would hope/expect we would extend the likes of Foderingham, Robinson, Norwood, McBurnie and the two youngters Jebbison and Osula but the other 8 maybe not so certain - I would expect Eastwood (although never seems to leave!), Davies, Stevens, O'Connell, Osborn, Fleck to move on but they may give Davies and Osborn a year maybe as back up? I can see them giving Sharp another year (player/coach type role?) and possibly Coulibaly but he needs game time somewhere.

Can people help and check below - no doubt a lot may be inaccurate?!

Goalkeepers

Wes Foderingham Out of contract (2023) - club option 1 year
Adam Davies Out of contract (2023)
Jake Eastwood Out of contract (2023)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Marcus Dewhurst Out of contract (2023)
Dylan Wharton 1 year (2024)
Jordan Amissah 1 year (2024)

Defence

Jack Robinson Out of contract (2023)
Jack O’Connell Out of contract (2023)
Enda Stevens Out of contract (2023)
Chris Basham 1 year (2024)
John Egan 1 year (2024)
George Baldock 1 year (2024)
Max Lowe 1 year (2024)
Jayden Bogle 1 year (2024)
Rhys Norrington Davies 1 year (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out

Kyron Gordon Out of contract (2023)
Femi Seriki Out of contract (2023)
Harry Boyes Out of contract (2023)
Niksoen Gomis Out of contract (2023)
Joe Starbuck Out of contract (2023)
Sai Sachdev 1 year (2024)
Miguel Freckleton 2 years (2025)

Return to loan club:

Ciaran Clark to Newcastle (Out of contact)

Midfield

Ben Osborn Out of contract (2023)
Ollie Norwood Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year
John Fleck Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year
Ismael Coulibaly Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year
Sander Berge 1 year (2024)

Zak Brunt Out of contract (2023)
Harrison Neal Out of contract (2023)
George Broadbent Out of contract (2023)
Frankie Maguire Out of contract (2023)
Andre Brooks 1 year (2024)
Sydie Peck 1 year (2024)
Oliver Arblaster 2 years (2025)

Return to loan club:

Tommy Doyle to Man City
James McAtee to Man City

Attack

Billy Sharp Out of contract (2023) - club option 1 year
Oli McBurnie Out of contract (2023)
Daniel Jebbison Out of contract (2023)
Will Osula Out of contract (2023)
Iliman Ndiaye 1 year (2024)
Rhian Brewster 2 years (2025)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Louie Marsh 1 year (2024)

In years past this excellent forum has had a pinned post about the current squad and it's contract situation. I cannot see anything this year (probably as so many are out of contract!) but wondered if anyone can help clarify situation with all the players?

I know we have a good idea on some who are definitely out of contract but there are loads of others that seem to be up or have options maybe - including young players like Jebbison and Osula who I have seen nothing to suggest they have signed new deals since the last ones they signed (first pro contracts) which is a worry and shows the uncertainty behind the scenes may mean we lose some players sadly we wanted to keep?

I am going to be writing my end of season review come mid May so be useful if anyone can give some clarity in years/any contracts signed that may seem some here longer? Some of below may be wrong - I am sure the two young keepers Amissah and Wharton have another year and also believe Arblaster, Brooks and Peck had longer deals when they signed first pro deal - certainly Arblaster signed a longer contract this season?

We have 14 senior players out of contact I believe?

You would hope/expect we would extend the likes of Foderingham, Robinson, Norwood, McBurnie and the two youngters Jebbison and Osula but the other 8 maybe not so certain - I would expect Eastwood (although never seems to leave!), Davies, Stevens, O'Connell, Osborn, Fleck to move on but they may give Davies and Osborn a year maybe as back up? I can see them giving Sharp another year (player/coach type role?) and possibly Coulibaly but he needs game time somewhere.

Can people help and check below - no doubt a lot may be inaccurate?!

Goalkeepers

Adam Davies Out of contract (2023)

Defence

John Egan 1 year (2024)
Max Lowe 1 year (2024)

Joe Starbuck Out of contract (2023)

Return to loan club:

Midfield

Sydie Peck 1 year (2024)

Return to loan club:

Tommy Doyle to Man City
James McAtee to Man City

Attack

There has to be things going on behind the scenes with the work involved sorting that lot out.
We may still be in embargo ! That doasnt stop negotiations.
The embargo has to go obviously ! I think that is already in hand surely.

I’m trying to think whether you’ve missed anyone… Finley Potter is on loan at Barnet and doing well. Not sure what his contract situation is.

Jebbo and Osula out of contract this summer?? Surely they have at least another season, or at the very least, the club has a year's option on them both.

Buggering hell...I know a few we're coming up but not that many.

Could be a majority literally playing for their future though!

A lot of this is integral on if we get promotion or not, I don’t see many being offered new contracts

Half of the additional income we'll get from promotion will be gone on simply renewing deals won't it. Ffs

I missed Anel off

2026 I believe

Updated with Ahmedhozic, Davies (1 more year), Starbuck (1 more year) and added Potter

Still 13 out of contact of the senior player - now highlighted including 3 going out on loan - that is 13 out of 25 senior players so half the squad!

Goalkeepers

Adam Davies 1 year (2024)

Defence

John Egan 1 year (2024)
Max Lowe 1 year (2024)

Joe Starbuck 1 year (2024)
Finley Potter 1 year (2024)
Anel Ahmedhodzic 3 years (2026)

Return to loan club:

Midfield

Sydie Peck 1 year (2024)

Return to loan club:

Tommy Doyle to Man City
James McAtee to Man City

Attack

Players who have been through our Academy are registered with us until they are 24. We will receive a transfer fee if another club wants to sign any of these players if we refuse to release them.

Players who have been through our Academy are registered with us until they are 24. We will receive a transfer fee if another club wants to sign any of these players if we refuse to release them.

The likes of Jebbison and Osula could still sign for another club though if their contract is up. Granted we may hold a registration which means would get a fee.

Worryingly though the two strikers would not command that much of a fee as it would be on 'potential' rather than what they have done (limited appearances) so you hope United can get them tied down to longer 'pro deals' as much as the registration gives us a fall back of course.

I am surprised United did not get these two sorted out especially when you saw what nearly happened with NDiaye and we have other youngsters on longer deals.

I assume some of the other younger players Dewhurst, Gordon, Seriki, Broadbent, Brunt, Maguire - we can just release their registration as not sure we would get much/any of a fee for the above and this would allow them to find new clubs? If we retain their registration then this could prohibit clubs from signing them as they would not want to pay a fee.

Guess why we may hold onto some of the lads that we feel may have a chance, Boyes and Neal who have been playing at the higher level than the rest (League One)?

Last edited:
Yeah don’t worry I’m sure the Blades have got players lined up for prem season.

1- fods
2 Baldock/ bogle
3-
4 anel
5 egan
6-

7-
8 berg
11-

9 -
10nydieeeeee

Five openings for prem class players.
Tough tackling midfield
MGW ( player of his Ilk) in the other role
We really could do with a Billy style GOALSCORER.
Left back and centre back Prem class would then give us a good defence.

It’s really poor to have got in the situation where so many are up.

I think Ferguson wrote in his autobiography about not letting too many deals run out at once.

Apparently the money owed to the EFL is not so much and the takings from the Cup Semi Final should be enough to get us out of it.

I do hope then the club is going to resolve a raft of these.

The intelligent thing to do for Schriber and co would be to have them agreed but just waiting for the embargo to be released to announce them.

The incredibly dumb thing to do would have been to just tell yourself that there is nothing we can do due to the embargo and then just leave all the work to pile up.

I really do hope United have been better than that.

Alex Ferguson said in his autobiography that he never forgot receiving very good advice from Jimmy Sirrel "Never allow too many players to have their contracts running out at the same time"

This.

The lack of permanent signings in the last 3 windows (outside of Davies and Anel) was always going to come back and bit us.

We'll end up offering contract to players we probably wouldn't do otherwise, just because of the sheer amount of new players we need to sign. And if we get promoted the youngsters will not be able to step up.

We're in this situation because of the really poor financial management when we were in the EPL.

Alex Ferguson said in his autobiography that he never forgot receiving very good advice from Jimmy Sirrel "Never allow too many players to have their contracts running out at the same time"
It can be difficult though. This season's squad has been good enough to mount a real promotion challenge and this suggests that we've been right to keep them on so far. The alternative may have been a rebuild at the expense of an auto promotion spot.

But a number of the current players are unlikely to excel at PL level, especially with a few being above 30 and this suggests that we need to replace them this summer. I think the club will offer extensions to a some for continuity reasons, but we can't do it for sentimental reasons. We must avoid having players like Fleck and Stevens stick around on decent wages, while not contributing a lot.

Updated with Ahmedhozic, Davies (1 more year), Starbuck (1 more year) and added Potter

Still 13 out of contact of the senior player - now highlighted including 3 going out on loan - that is 13 out of 25 senior players so half the squad!

Goalkeepers

Adam Davies 1 year (2024)

Defence

John Egan 1 year (2024)
Max Lowe 1 year (2024)

Joe Starbuck 1 year (2024)
Finley Potter 1 year (2024)
Anel Ahmedhodzic 3 years (2026)

Return to loan club:

Midfield

Sydie Peck 1 year (2024)

Return to loan club:

Tommy Doyle to Man City
James McAtee to Man City

Attack

It's a terrible situation we've got ourselves in.

I suspect, if we don't go up, almost all will be offered a new contract. Maybe not Sharp and Stevens, but everyone else. We then have the problem of losing Ndiaye, Berge, Anel and having to replace them with not a lot of money. At least a few of the youngsters should be able to step up (Jebbo, Osula, Arblaster, Amissah, Boyes)

If we do go up, I suspect we'll be offering a surprising number a new contract as well, given the amount we need to replace. Going up will likely mean that none of the kids, outside of maybe Jebbo, will be able to step up.

There's another huge issue as well, given how many players have a contract that runs out in 2024. We'll need to try and tie those down as well, so lots of pressure on the money we'll have. It's going to be hard to keep some of them if we don't go up and I doubt some will sign a new contract.

The list is quite worrying:

Baldock
Lowe
Bogle
RND
Egan
Berge
Ndiaye

Several of those could easily be poached.

The sheer number of changes needed are scary.

-----------------------------------------GK/GK
------Furious/Bogle-----Anel/RCB-----Egan/CB-----RND/LCB------LWB/Lowe
-----------------------------Berge/CM-------------CM/CM
------------------------------------------CM/CM
----------------------------Ndiaye/Brewster----------McBurnie/Jebbo

It's a terrible situation we've got ourselves in.

I suspect, if we don't go up, almost all will be offered a new contract. Maybe not Sharp and Stevens, but everyone else. We then have the problem of losing Ndiaye, Berge, Anel and having to replace them with not a lot of money. At least a few of the youngsters should be able to step up (Jebbo, Osula, Arblaster, Amissah, Boyes)

If we do go up, I suspect we'll be offering a surprising number a new contract as well, given the amount we need to replace. Going up will likely mean that none of the kids, outside of maybe Jebbo, will be able to step up.

There's another huge issue as well, given how many players have a contract that runs out in 2024. We'll need to try and tie those down as well, so lots of pressure on the money we'll have. It's going to be hard to keep some of them if we don't go up and I doubt some will sign a new contract.

The list is quite worrying:

Baldock
Lowe
Bogle
RND
Egan
Berge
Ndiaye

Several of those could easily be poached.

The sheer number of changes needed are scary.

-----------------------------------------GK/GK
------Furious/Bogle-----Anel/RCB-----Egan/CB-----RND/LCB------LWB/Lowe
-----------------------------Berge/CM-------------CM/CM
------------------------------------------CM/CM
----------------------------Ndiaye/Brewster----------McBurnie/Jebbo
Wouldn't mind Lowe being poached.

I think next season whichever division we are in will have to be a restart, most of the out of contract players will need to go, will be loans, out of contract players, free transfer, academy players etc
If we stay in the championship we will need to sell big time to balance the books with reduced parachute payments by 20 million and this years loss
All subject to whatever happens with the takeover obviously

It's going to be a interesting summer if we go up and see where we go shopping for new players.
The predictable better championship players like last time?
Chair at QPR? Too many teams with more money might go after Gyokeres.
Has out foreign scouting improved with the signing of Anel or just that he was known to Lester?
If Bournemouth went down Billing would be a good fit in midfield but yet again would probably cost too much and be on a decent wage.
Couple of players who were good prospects but seem to have gone stale are Dan James who's done nothing at Leeds and on the bench on loan to Fulham. He could play just behind a lone striker along with Ndiaye.
Neil Maupay as a replacement for Billy? He was poor at Brighton and now struggling for games at Everton.

I think Ferguson wrote in his autobiography about not letting too many deals run out at once.

Apparently the money owed to the EFL is not so much and the takings from the Cup Semi Final should be enough to get us out of it.

I do hope then the club is going to resolve a raft of these.

The intelligent thing to do for Schriber and co would be to have them agreed but just waiting for the embargo to be released to announce them.

The incredibly dumb thing to do would have been to just tell yourself that there is nothing we can do due to the embargo and then just leave all the work to pile up.

I really do hope United have been better than that.
Is it really a suprise given how poorly we've been ran the last couple of years?

Our prospects of having a competitive squad may improve if Dozy actually takes over and is prepared to invest more than simply the PL income.

Yes we've been run so badly there's only one other team in the Division that wouldn't jump at the chance of changing places with us in the League, and, a good half dozen or so desperately........ :rolleyes:
That's called good management, and because we've largely retained our premier League squad. When fans refer to us being poorly run, it's in reference to goings on above playing team level.

Cast your mind back to 2019 and how few new signings we needed to make in order to finish 9th.
Now think about starting in the PL with the current squad ...
It is unlikely that the PL income alone will produce a squad capable of avoiding relegation.
To survive , we need a buyer who will invest some of his own dosh , at least initially , with which targets can be acquired , leaving the PL income to cover wages.
The Prince knows this , which is why he's selling - I hope someone has explained it to Dozy.

Back
Top Bottom