Jack O’Connell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Doesn't seem to effect* McBurnie.

Never sure whether it's affect or effect.
have an effect on; make a difference to.
"the dampness began to affect my health"

So it would be affect on the case of the above. Though rather unhelpfully the dictionary uses effect in the description.

To have an impact on might be better.

So it would be affect on the case of the above. Though rather unhelpfully the dictionary uses effect in the description.

Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

You're spot on.

I just really hope the club continue to look out for him.

We're not obliged to, but I think it's the right thing to do. Coaching badges, training courses, some sort of role in health & conditioning, whatever it is to smooth his transition into life after football. If indeed that is what awaits.
Doesn’t he already have a degree finished a couple of years ago ? I think he is already thinking about his future with or without a return.

Especially when there’s a perfectly good verb with exactly the same root. “We need to better provision legacy services in order to leverage our full portfolio across verticals”. Yeah, thanks boss.
It’s amazing how these purveyors of bullshit and twattery believe that mangling the English language makes them sound intelligent.

I’m starting to think that the resistance to working from home is rooted in a fear that it may expose many middle managers as being more or less pointless. If people work autonomously, they naturally have to become more autonomous and, in many cases, could just report directly to senior management. Do companies really need layers of line management who, in reality, are little more than office supervisors?

Did O'Connell mention how his court case against the club was progressing?

I saw it mentioned on here so assumed it just be true

He said he wanted to be back playing and wearing that new away kit.

From what I've been told I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't get back on the pitch to give it a crack before he calls it a day.

The impression I got was that he rushed himself back last time and JOC seemed to admit that. I wonder if the 2nd op he had to have was because he tried to comeback too soon?

Even Duffy pre-match said he has been telling Jack to take his time to get himself right.

The impression I got was that he rushed himself back last time and JOC seemed to admit that. I wonder if the 2nd op he had to have was because he tried to comeback too soon?

Even Duffy pre-match said he has been telling Jack to take his time to get himself right.
Maybe. Either way, I don't think it's over yet.

Maybe. Either way, I don't think it's over yet.

One thing is for sure he is being talked about by the club a bit more this season and he is being asked directly about his fitness on SUTV. It's been radio silence for most of the past 2 years, everyone seems a bit more positive about him getting back to fitness.

From what I've been told I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't get back on the pitch to give it a crack before he calls it a day.
I think he owes it to himself to give it his absolute best shot at getting back to fitness. If he can’t, he retires with no regrets but you don’t want to get to 40 and start thinking “maybe I could’ve tried a bit harder”. He’ll know that. He might not ever get back to what he was but there are players making a living that aren’t half as good as he was. Look at Coutts, he had a couple of really bad injuries, one before he joined us and the leg break and he still managed to get back to a standard where he could carry on playing professionally.

Love to be wrong but I just can't see Jack ever having the career he would have pre-injury.

However, I'd really like to think he still has a chance of playing pro football again.

I read an article that said he isn’t up to running yet. Yikes 2 years and he can’t run yet. I suspect he won’t be back but hope to be wrong.

Wish you had been my teacher - i could never get this right either - it has always been a guess - goodness knows what affect this has had on my life

I read an article that said he isn’t up to running yet. Yikes 2 years and he can’t run yet. I suspect he won’t be back but hope to be wrong.

Yeah but I also got the impression he tried to rush back first time round which just set him back to square one. How long has been injured since he second op?

Yeah but I also got the impression he tried to rush back first time round which just set him back to square one. How long has been injured since he second op?
Don’t know how long but tragic story.

Helping the coaches run the gym as well as rehabbing and talking to Hecky about ‘what may come best’

There has to be a chance he can return otherwise he would have retired and taken the pay out.

There has to be a chance he can return otherwise he would have retired and taken the pay out.
They don’t get payouts for injuries like this though I don’t think. We didn’t get anything for Ebbrell I think because it was ultimately his decision.

Have a car crash and lose a leg or something and sure, club and player will get one. But long term injuries like this I think is more complicated.

Unless you mean mutually consenting his contract, in which case yes good point.

Helping the coaches run the gym as well as rehabbing and talking to Hecky about ‘what may come best’

Not sure what to make of that article. JOC believes he can return to playing, he said as much the other week himself but that reads like he isn't returning.

When's JOC's contract up? Surely he'll just run it down and finish his career playing in League 1 or 2

They don’t get payouts for injuries like this though I don’t think. We didn’t get anything for Ebbrell I think because it was ultimately his decision.

Have a car crash and lose a leg or something and sure, club and player will get one. But long term injuries like this I think is more complicated.

Unless you mean mutually consenting his contract, in which case yes good point.
We didn't get anything for Ebbrell as we signed him despite his medical picking up an underlying ankle issue. His subsequent retirement was caused by that issue.

Back
Top Bottom