Jack O’Connell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShropsBlade

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have or heard any information on when JOC could return ?

I know it’s a really slim chance now with how long it’s been that he even trains properly again, but heard no updates.And I live in hope.

Having already been out for so long, it would be a (fantastic!) surprise if JOC made it back. Unfortunately the nature of his injury, coupled with his size/large frame, and the previous setbacks, make it quite a longshot, especially being able to play Champ level or above again.

A real shame if so - he wasn't far away from an England call-up when it all went wrong.

I assumed the "see you in 2022" was an announcement of this season is unlikely

I would imagine he is aiming to be fit for the summer. We also have Davies and Robbo covering his position at the moment so there isn't a hurry to rush him back.

Could someone recap what happened with Jack. He was pretty much ever present, then this.

Could someone recap what happened with Jack. He was pretty much ever present, then this.

Before the return of football he got injured in training when he and Henderson came together.

For some reason he started the restart of the season with the injury and made it worse. He then had an operation, tried to get back to fitness and broke down again. He has since had a 2nd operation and is working his way back to fitness again.

It all looks a bit bleak and it sounds like someone dropped the ball regarding the injury diagnosis in the first place.

He has been a couple of times and he just gets all awkward and moves on.

Depends if there is any news other what has been said at the start of the year. If they don't expect JOC back this season then there isn't much point talking about him. I assume we won't get further updates on Brewster either this season.

Isn't he out of contract too this summer?

The club are unlikely to give him a new deal with the current financial situation. If he's not close to any kind of training by the summer, even a week to week contract is unlikely. That may sound heartless but the reality is a player who has been out for two seasons with all the medical advances is unlikely to play at a good level again.

Sad, sad story but I'll be more surprised now if he plays League football again that not. Love him to prove me wrong but it might have to be down the leagues and elsewhere.

I think it's unlikely considering the wage bill and losses after covid we even retain faves like Didz and Bash (can see Billy getting a year even on a reduced wage) so O' Connell won't be retained I doubt considering his situation.

Knowing our luck we'll release him in the summer and he'll prove his fitness elsewhere, eventually moving for about 20 mill.

In a way I hope he does, for his sake. Genuine talent who should have had a PL career ahead of him.

Good luck Jack.

The club are unlikely to give him a new deal with the current financial situation. If he's not close to any kind of training by the summer, even a week to week contract is unlikely. That may sound heartless but the reality is a player who has been out for two seasons with all the medical advances is unlikely to play at a good level again.

Sad, sad story but I'll be more surprised now if he plays League football again that not. Love him to prove me wrong but it might have to be down the leagues and elsewhere.

I think it's unlikely considering the wage bill and losses after covid we even retain faves like Didz and Bash (can see Billy getting a year even on a reduced wage) so O' Connell won't be retained I doubt considering his situation.

We will see what happens. JOC seems determined to get back to fitness from his most recent message. We gave JOC a squad number at the start of the season so the club must be optimistic he will return but its more of a case of when.

Although I agree the club also can't wait forever for him to get fit as it won't financially make sense to do so.

Before the return of football he got injured in training when he and Henderson came together.

For some reason he started the restart of the season with the injury and made it worse. He then had an operation, tried to get back to fitness and broke down again. He has since had a 2nd operation and is working his way back to fitness again.

It all looks a bit bleak and it sounds like someone dropped the ball regarding the injury diagnosis in the first place.

Ok. Cheers. I remember the part about Henderson now you mention it.

Has anyone ever said anything more specific than "an injury".

I suppose in the end any injury is a private medical matter, but we usually get to know something eg at the moment Didzy has a thigh injury, Brewster has a (hamstring?) tear which is different from his previous injury, Enda has a calf injury, Bogle's knee is an issue etc, but for Jack, he's just got "an injury".

And when journalists ask, unless I've missed something, they ask about Jack's "injury" with no specifics.

It is all very vague.

Ok. Cheers. I remember the part about Henderson now you mention it.

Has anyone ever said anything more specific than "an injury".

I suppose in the end any injury is a private medical matter, but we usually get to know something eg at the moment Didzy has a thigh injury, Brewster has a (hamstring?) tear which is different from his previous injury, Enda has a calf injury, Bogle's knee is an issue etc, but for Jack, he's just got "an injury".

And when journalists ask, unless I've missed something, they ask about Jack's "injury" with no specifics.

It is all very vague.

With Jack it's a knee injury:

Bash said the other day that he's very near to the number of appearances that will automatically trigger another year for him.

If Hecky drops him, then you will know that we are in the financial doodah.

Bash said the other day that he's very near to the number of appearances that will automatically trigger another year for him.

If Hecky drops him, then you will know that we are in the financial doodah.

I thought the club had the option on Sharp, Bash and Didsy.

Surely the most heartbreaking and costly injury in our modern history. Such a unique and immensely good player

The only comfort you could take is that if he stayed fit we would have probably sold him by now. I reckon had he stayed fit Liverpool may have come in for him instead of signing Ben Davies.

Realistically, if he can't get back to our current level or higher, he'll be left with the sensible option of cashing in on his insurance, which I hope will see him right, into a comfortable retirement, as opposed to dropping down the leagues.

Career ending injuries are rare but the only solace is that players' financial protection, due to their wages and loss of earnings, is much improved. When I was younger I remember reading about Brian Smith and Julian Winter and their bleak outlook, when they were told they were finished. It's sad in any profession of course, but for a footballer it really must devastating.

As an aside, I'm sure the club are being intentionally tight lipped as there must be a chance of litigation if the worst comes to the worst. JOC is symbolic of how the wheels span of the club during covid, so sorry for him.

Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have or heard any information on when JOC could return ?

I know it’s a really slim chance now with how long it’s been that he even trains properly again, but heard no updates.And I live in hope.
I have no idea but as there was a misdiagnosis of his injury which meant him having a second operation this could potentially open up the club to a liability claim. You wouldn't want to make any public comments in those circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom