Ian Evatt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

An up and coming manager.

Took Barrow into the League after a 48 year absence and now turning the wreck that was Bolton into promotion contenders.

The wreck that is Sheffield United could do worse than sign him

Evatt:
  • is something of a Wilder disciple. Used overlapping centre backs at Barrow and has acknowledged Wilder's influence on his thinking
  • is very ambitious
  • talks a good game
  • has a bad reputation for criticising players in the media for their mistakes, which got him a lot of negative attention earlier this season
  • is doing a damn good job for the second season in a row.

Took Barrow into the League after a 48 year absence and now turning the wreck that was Bolton into promotion contenders.

He’s done a complete rebuild at Bolton this season as well, had 9 players on the books when he took over and has made some shrewd signings. In my view it’s too early for him to move to us. He’s also not applied (I’m very ITK on this).

Not that it matters, but If I had a binary choice between Evatt and Blessin as our next boss, I would choose Evatt.

Not that it matters, but If I had a binary choice between Evatt and Blessin as our next boss, I would choose Evatt.
Evatt has wheeled and dealed in the conference and League 2, I'm not sure he fits the profile for what our board want from the next manager. You look at his signings this season and he's begged, borrowed and stolen decent League 1 and League 2 players at the end of their contracts, Sarvecic and Doyle being his best 2 signings. He did the same at Barrow but at a lower level.

Might be a shout but depends if he fits in with the board’s vision or if he’s open to working within it.

Chris Wilder clearly wasn’t prepared to. Can’t see the board going down the route of a similar type manager that won’t be open to change if things take a down turn.

Evatt has wheeled and dealed in the conference and League 2, I'm not sure he fits the profile for what our board want from the next manager. You look at his signings this season and he's begged, borrowed and stolen decent League 1 and League 2 players at the end of their contracts, Sarvecic and Doyle being his best 2 signings. He did the same at Barrow but at a lower level.

True.

Blessin has managed for almost one full season (Evatt has done 3) and has never played or managed in the English leagues, and has only short experience of managing in a league where the best teams are Championship standard and the worst are League One/League 2.

If the profile is "no English managerial experience, very little managerial experience at all", Blessin fits the bill.

Not on this occasion.

(Sorry it's the Daily Mail).

True.

Blessin has managed for almost one full season (Evatt has done 3) and has never played or managed in the English leagues, and has only short experience of managing in a league where the best teams are Championship standard and the worst are League One/League 2.

If the profile is "no English managerial experience, very little managerial experience at all", Blessin fits the bill.
I'm just commenting on Evatt, I know nothing about Blessin but a few people seem to have a hard on for him because he's foreign and we've not had a foreign manager before.

I'm fairly confident that whoever comes in will be on their way out within 12 months so it matters little really, maybe let Evatt have another 12 months and pick him up next season. He'd 100% be interested from the horse's mouth.

We're not a wreck ,some good players in that squad just need the right man to do some surgery and put us on the road to recovery .
We are not anywhere near the dire straights Wilder found us in.
We also are more financially sound than we ever have been.
Hopefully the prince uses it Wisely.

I'm just commenting on Evatt, I know nothing about Blessin but a few people seem to have a hard on for him because he's foreign and we've not had a foreign manager before.

I'm fairly confident that whoever comes in will be on their way out within 12 months so it matters little really, maybe let Evatt have another 12 months and pick him up next season. He'd 100% be interested from the horse's mouth.
I agree with that. IMHO the next manager will be gone during next season, possibly before Christmas if he's crap.

I think people are interested in us doing something different but I think most fans are prepared to give him a go more down to what he's managed to do last season, and his work with the younger players, which is an area our previous manager seemed to have an issue with. There is a buzz, one I think needs dampening around our current youth players, but I'd suggest it's that which is making some fans think he would be a good appointment rather than it being because he's foreign. The performances of the youth teams have been the one bright spark on this season and so some fans are clinging to that as being a potential future for us.
If there was an English coach who had the youth background and then in his first season totally turned round a lower league team into top 4 contenders we'd be interested in him too, probably more so than Blessin.
The other issue is the lack of interesting and realistic alternates which seem to be either an expensive coach with two promotions plays good football but no clubs seem interested in, or someone who's star has fallen like Howe. There is no real standout candidate that we simply must talk to.

Think Evatt needs a bit longer yet before we take gamble on a manager who's not managed above League 2. Comparisons to Blessin are interesting because Blessin has only had 1 season as a manager. In truth neither would be my first choice, but I actually think Blessin is doing a cracking job at a small club in Belgium that last season were relegation candidates. One of the questions I have is who brought in the players at Oostende, because recruitment, as we all know, is the most important factor to success, along with a good manager. But even if the players were brought in by the club and Blessin had little say in who came in, he still appears to have done a wonderful job. Evatt in his short career has also excelled but I think he's best off staying where he is for now building a decent reputation in the lower leagues. Oostende are arguably at their pinicle and even though Blessin has only managed for one season I think it's a great move for him and he's a better fit for what the Prince wants.

Blessin will also be far more aware of the foreign player market and there's much more value than here, subject to the brexit recruitment side of it. I'd rather Blessin over Evatt, but my first choice would be Mark Robins given what he's done in his career, and what a great job he's done at Coventry. Not many will have thought of Robins though and I would imagine he'll not be on the shortlist! He's not going to know the foreign transfer market as well as Blesin I guess, but he has years of sustained success. Robins would probably want total control of transfers as would most British managers. Jokonavic is an obvious choice and I'm surprised David Wagner's name hasn't come up yet as an option.

Evatt is one that we’ll still be able to get if he continues to prove himself over the next couple of seasons at Bolton there’s no rush to move on him now.
could be an argument for someone more short-term like Jokanovic who would ultimately steady the ship and try and get us up at the first time of asking. If this failed and he left (let's face it - it's the utd way), we could then look at a long-term rebuild job and go for the likes of Evatt/Blessin (if he's still doing alright)

could be an argument for someone more short-term like Jokanovic who would ultimately steady the ship and try and get us up at the first time of asking. If this failed and he left (let's face it - it's the utd way), we could then look at a long-term rebuild job and go for the likes of Evatt/Blessin (if he's still doing alright)
Think blessin will move this summer from Oostende and will probably then be out of our reach but yeah whoever comes in will have the brief of up in 2 years that’s the reality of being a parachute team after that it becomes a long term project.

I think people are interested in us doing something different but I think most fans are prepared to give him a go more down to what he's managed to do last season, and his work with the younger players, which is an area our previous manager seemed to have an issue with. There is a buzz, one I think needs dampening around our current youth players, but I'd suggest it's that which is making some fans think he would be a good appointment rather than it being because he's foreign. The performances of the youth teams have been the one bright spark on this season and so some fans are clinging to that as being a potential future for us.
If there was an English coach who had the youth background and then in his first season totally turned round a lower league team into top 4 contenders we'd be interested in him too, probably more so than Blessin.
The other issue is the lack of interesting and realistic alternates which seem to be either an expensive coach with two promotions plays good football but no clubs seem interested in, or someone who's star has fallen like Howe. There is no real standout candidate that we simply must talk to.
I agree, a huge dose of realism is needed with the U18's/23's, the Class of 92 they aren't.

I'm not averse to Blessin, I'd rather us go for someone in a job currently and pay a bit of compensation than take any old pile of shit from the out of work managers like teams normally do. I've never understood how out of work/contract players are sniffed at but people think it's perfectly fine to take on an out of work manager?!

Believe he still lives in Chesterfield. Lad I know knows lives near him, still sees him out and about.

Not a bad shout I suppose, but not who I’d want right now.

My worry with Evatt is that we'd be saying we're happy with being parochial little Sheffield United and continuing to try and get to the Premier League on peanuts, doing things the old-fashioned way. What happened with Wilder was a miracle; it's not going to happen again for a long time (I mean the local lad who gets a bunch of average players massively overachieving and going toe-to-toe with teams in the Premier League). If we want to build on what we've done, and continue to grow and take ourselves seriously, we need to look at breaking free of the local-centric, British-first way of thinking. It'll be painful as we'll have to change who we are somewhat, but the alternative is that we accept mediocrity for ever.

My worry with Evatt is that we'd be saying we're happy with being parochial little Sheffield United and continuing to try and get to the Premier League on peanuts, doing things the old-fashioned way. What happened with Wilder was a miracle; it's not going to happen again for a long time (I mean the local lad who gets a bunch of average players massively overachieving and going toe-to-toe with teams in the Premier League). If we want to build on what we've done, and continue to grow and take ourselves seriously, we need to look at breaking free of the local-centric, British-first way of thinking. It'll be painful as we'll have to change who we are somewhat, but the alternative is that we accept mediocrity for ever.
Excellent post 👍

I think if ever there’s a time to move away from this it’s now. While I don’t want a foreigner for the sake of it, we’ve got a foreign owner and various European connections. It would be strange to revert to type and go for a local-ish manager.

Maybe wait for a few years when we’ve been sold to the fans after near bankruptcy for that again 😉

Barrow fan here. Have seen a lot of Ian Evatt over the last couple of years (and was gutted when he left for Bolton).

He’s a very impressive up-and-coming manager. Got an eye for a good player. His teams are both well organised and play nice football.
But he’s not experienced enough for SUFC yet - it’s a bit step up to the Championship, and an even bigger step again to get back up to the Prem.

If Evatt gets Bolton promoted to League 1 and does well there, he’ll be a great prospect with another couple of years of experience.

(Sorry it's the Daily Mail).

He had a point, Crellin had put in some Lee Baxteresque performances and was eventually dropped and replaced by Matt Gills, no spring chicken at 38, but the fans are amazed at how good he’s been.

The only Barrow the Prince is aware of is the one he's used to wheel away with the millions that Chris Wilder's made for him.

Back
Top Bottom