Ian Evatt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
Hopefully Bolton don’t get promoted so we can appoint him in the summer.

Let him have a crack with a young squad. He’s worked wonders at Bolton on not much budget.

We need a young, fresh manager. Thanks but no thanks Chris, you’ve done all you can with this shitshow but we need something else.

Of course we have an owner that doesn’t have a semblance of a clue, who wants to fuck off, whose idea of a Premier League season is to sell your two best players. That’s the kicker.

If we are becoming a Category A academy I think he’d jump at it.
I’m not so sure. What does that mean in real terms for a first team manager? It maybe gets him a better crop of youngsters in 5 years time. In reality he’ll be judged after year 3 if your looking at it optimistically more likely half way through year two if your being realistic. Us having a better crop of youngsters in 4/5 years shouldn’t really factor into his decision making.

How attractive we are or not to a prospective manager will be based on the players we’ll have under contract for him to work with and any assurances he’s been made regarding recruitment. As it stands we won’t have much in terms of players under contract and our recent track record of managers being given resources to recruit with is poor.

Last edited:
Plays good football as well and can manage it on a tiny budget.

Why was Graham Potter in the crowd anyway? We can dream but, just thought it was odd.

I think we should settle on Nathan Jones or Alex Neil and aim to finish 14th every season

We’re going to make any perfectly serviceable manager look out of his depth if we fail to give them the tools for the job.

We are a Championship team in all but name.

Both Hecky and Wilder are perfectly reasonable options at the level below.

With at least 4 promotions to his name, you’ll struggle to get one with more accomplishments than Wilder.

We have inferior players.

The solution at the moment starts by accepting the next few months are going to be unsatisfactory because unless Forest and Everton get all their points taken away, we aren’t doing anything other than deservedly finishing bottom.

The dye was cast before kick off. We ended up making a call on certain players because we’d allowed their deals to run down and we spend most of the summer unsatisfactorily resolving that and in doing so also failed to replace like for like or adopt a style which would successfully accommodate the newbies.

I really don’t see the point in talking about management changes. Whether we play 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or any other formation, you will still have players who can’t weight a pass well enough, can’t track their man well enough or simply make poor decisions when push comes to shove.

The manager, whoever that is, simply does not have the resources to make a fist of the job. Every team we play we are outmatched in terms of quality.

The first stage to most problems is acceptance. We are going down. We are going to finish 20th. We are going to lose quite a few matches. We can still have a good season next year.

There’s almost no point moaning until we get back to the Championship but it all boils down to the same thing, resources being inferior to the opponents. Luton is the exception and they at least had momentum through continuity when the first investments we had to make were to replace key blocks in the team.

No Manager guarantees anything. But Wilder will be hurting, probably a little embarrassed too today, but he has the track record better than anyone to set us up for a good season next year.

There’s no point in flushing more money away because the current incumbent keeps getting shot every time he turns up with a knife to a gunfight!

We need to realise we are a basket case club. I’d rather a supporter like Wilder run us as he may be the only one who actually cares at the entire football club.
You need to realise how highly our club is regarded in the football world. Other people rate it far more highly than “fans” like you do.

How do I know this? Because through my work I regularly meet & talk to people in football from the PL downwards. This includes directors, managers & other people in very senior positions. I’m meeting with a manager & assistant manager this coming Wednesday.

You might regard the club you claim to support as a “basket case” but that doesn’t chime with the views of people in the real world whose opinions actually count.

You need to realise how highly our club is regarded in the football world. Other people rate it far more highly than “fans” like you do.

How do I know this? Because through my work I regularly meet & talk to people in football from the PL downwards. This includes directors, managers & other people in very senior positions. I’m meeting with a manager & assistant manager this coming Wednesday.

You might regard the club you claim to support as a “basket case” but that doesn’t chime with the views of people in the real world whose opinions actually count.
I get why you’d say this if you work in them circles but the only highly regarded part of Utd is what the academy churns out as those who rate us highly will look to sign our best academy players as proved over the years.

We’re going to make any perfectly serviceable manager look out of his depth if we fail to give them the tools for the job.

With at least 4 promotions to his name, you’ll struggle to get one with more accomplishments than Wilder.

The solution at the moment starts by accepting the next few months are going to be unsatisfactory because unless Forest and Everton get all their points taken away, we aren’t doing anything other than deservedly finishing bottom.

The dye was cast before kick off. We ended up making a call on certain players because we’d allowed their deals to run down and we spend most of the summer unsatisfactorily resolving that and in doing so also failed to replace like for like or adopt a style which would successfully accommodate the newbies.

I really don’t see the point in talking about management changes. Whether we play 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or any other formation, you will still have players who can’t weight a pass well enough, can’t track their man well enough or simply make poor decisions when push comes to shove.

The manager, whoever that is, simply does not have the resources to make a fist of the job. Every team we play we are outmatched in terms of quality.

The first stage to most problems is acceptance. We are going down. We are going to finish 20th. We are going to lose quite a few matches. We can still have a good season next year.

There’s almost no point moaning until we get back to the Championship but it all boils down to the same thing, resources being inferior to the opponents. Luton is the exception and they at least had momentum through continuity when the first investments we had to make were to replace key blocks in the team.

No Manager guarantees anything. But Wilder will be hurting, probably a little embarrassed too today, but he has the track record better than anyone to set us up for a good season next year.

There’s no point in flushing more money away because the current incumbent keeps getting shot every time he turns up with a knife to a gunfight!
Wow, common sense, a rare commodity these days. Agree totally.

I get why you’d say this if you work in them circles but the only highly regarded part of Utd is what the academy churns out as those who rate us highly will look to sign our best academy players as proved over the years.
The academy is indeed very highly rated, understandably, but it is far from being the only thing about the club that’s admired in the football world. I’ve got better things to do with my Sunday morning than trot out one of my long posts, maybe later, but I will say that anyone thinking that Sheffield United wouldn’t be attractive to a decent manager is wide of the mark to the point of delusion.

Watching Sky's pre-match coverage last night and listening to commentary you can hear that those is the industry see the wood for the trees. Everyone hopes a newly promoted team will come into the PL and shake things up. However, there's clearly a deep understanding, within the game, that the PL is an uneven playing field and the gap between the top 15 and the rest is growing. I'm 100% sure the industry as a whole sees us as a power house but also see's the reality of our (and Burnley, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, West Brom, Watford etc) situation. We can't compete. It's the reality for those teams that have become almost too good for the Championship but not good enough to survive in the PL.

European Super League for the top 6 and let the rest of the pyramid sort it's self out ;)

The academy is indeed very highly rated, understandably, but it is far from being the only thing about the club that’s admired in the football world. I’ve got better things to do with my Sunday morning than trot out one of my long posts, maybe later, but I will say that anyone thinking that Sheffield United wouldn’t be attractive to a decent manager is wide of the mark to the point of delusion.
Our academy is good. Probably among the top 10 in terms of success in recent years it's still far from good enough to be something to lean on heavily. If we include D. Brooks and ndayie who joined in their late teens there's still only a handful of players who are playing championship or higher which is what we need in a player.

We are a top 5/6 championship club who has potential to establish in the premier league but not with a owner with funds towards the bottom of the championship level.

Bra-chuffing-vo.

Champers ❤️

What’s happening now is why we shouldn’t have appointed Wilder until the summer. It’s turning rotten before it’s even started. He should have been a new start and breath of fresh air in the summer. Now, he’s just going to be another remnant from a nightmare of a season.
He’s also a terrible loser and we were guaranteed to lose a hell of a lot of games between his appointment and the end of the season.

What’s happening now is why we shouldn’t have appointed Wilder until the summer. It’s turning rotten before it’s even started. He should have been a new start and breath of fresh air in the summer. Now, he’s just going to be another remnant from a nightmare of a season.
He’s also a terrible loser and we were guaranteed to lose a hell of a lot of games between his appointment and the end of the season.
Shouldn't have been appointed a second time full stop, he's sadly yesterday's hero

Well said. The delight some posters are seemingly taking from our plight makes me genuinely hope they’re pigs on the wind up.

That ship will probably have sailed come the summer. Not sure we’ll be a tempting enough proposition for him to leave what he’s building at Hull to start at square one here.
He can bring Billy back with him to reinstate some leadership qualities.Albeit off the pitch.😜

Back
Top Bottom