Uniteds African connections

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Asa

Reaction score
Can you remember "Boots for Afica" campain years ago? Well my old manager Dave McCarthy ran a gift stop at Sheffield F.c, it was one of the best stations in the country as got lots of donations from in and around Sheffield including from united , United donated lots of boots and football kits. A year or so afterwards Sheffield f.c played inter Milan at the lane and McCarthy worked closely with United to make it happen for Sheffield fc 150th year! Shortly afterwards United offered Mac a full time job as operations manager and also offered Lee Walshaw (ex Blade) a coaching role which they sent Wally to Africa and India with other coaches and teachers to help train children all through United. Obviously it's well documented that our new chairman is heavily involved with grass routes football in Africa, point being, I bet this is why he choose United?? Don't know for sure but it's a good guess ?!?! Hopefully it will turn out as a great move from the Blades??

Can you remember "Boots for Afica" campain years ago? Well my old manager Dave McCarthy ran a gift stop at Sheffield F.c, it was one of the best stations in the country as got lots of donations from in and around Sheffield including from united , United donated lots of boots and football kits. A year or so afterwards Sheffield f.c played inter Milan at the lane and McCarthy worked closely with United to make it happen for Sheffield fc 150th year! Shortly afterwards United offered Mac a full time job as operations manager and also offered Lee Walshaw (ex Blade) a coaching role which they sent Wally to Africa and India with other coaches and teachers to help train children all through United. Obviously it's well documented that our new chairman is heavily involved with grass routes football in Africa, point being, I bet this is why he choose United?? Don't know for sure but it's a good guess ?!?! Hopefully it will turn out as a great move from the Blades??
There’s also the recent positive coverage of the club that Ndiaye has generated at the World Cup which won’t have hurt.

While circular red cards are a hot topic

Suffo (🇨🇲) got one in the Battle of Bramall Lane 👹

GXX4SAB6VVBPVCV5ABJUNF2NIM.jpg

United played a team of black players from Africa in 1899 (at The Lane). Their country declared war on Britain while they were over here. But, the Captain of the black African team made it clear he and the players supported Britain in that war, not the country they were born in.
I wrote about it for The Pinch.

I decided to stick my blades shirt on to go for a run when I was in Dubai a few years ago. As I was heading down in the lift a Nigerian fella got in and said “shiffild?” As he looked at my shirt. I replied “Sheffield United”. He nodded and acknowledged. We said nothing more as the lift headed to ground level.

I was nearest to the controls, so when the doors opened I pressed the open button to hold the doors and said to him and the other guests in the lift “after you”.

I thought, hopefully this will turn out as a great move for the Blades as I left the lift.

It was too hot to run, don’t know what is was thinking

I also worked with a football mad Nigerian when I was in Iraq. He knew nothing of the Blades since we were only Premier League for one season when we worked together, but I educated him continually

Back
Top Bottom