Ian Evatt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He had a point, Crellin had put in some Lee Baxteresque performances and was eventually dropped and replaced by Matt Gills, no spring chicken at 38, but the fans are amazed at how good he’s been.

I'm sure he did have a point. The key is when to do it and who to do it to. Wilder was pretty good at it from the perspective of keeping Dean Henderson on his game.

Barrow fan here. Have seen a lot of Ian Evatt over the last couple of years (and was gutted when he left for Bolton).

He’s a very impressive up-and-coming manager. Got an eye for a good player. His teams are both well organised and play nice football.
But he’s not experienced enough for SUFC yet - it’s a bit step up to the Championship, and an even bigger step again to get back up to the Prem.

If Evatt gets Bolton promoted to League 1 and does well there, he’ll be a great prospect with another couple of years of experience.

Thanks for the input. My girlfriend's family are from Penny Bridge and they nip to Holker Street on occasion. We always look out for Barrow's results on a Saturday. Looks like you'll be staying up (touch wood)!

We talk about signing players from lower leagues and how we should aim higher - then people on here promoting managers from lower leagues !! - we need to aim higher fps
I think and hope the Prince gets it !!

We talk about signing players from lower leagues and how we should aim higher - then people on here promoting managers from lower leagues !! - we need to aim higher fps
I think and hope the Prince gets it !!
You're right. We should never have signed lower league Wilder.

If the club were going down from Champ to L1, Evatt would be well placed as would Paul Cook. However, being a division above and with the expectation to compete right from the start, I think the risk is too high. That's not to say there is not a risk with any other potential manager especially unproven ones like Terry but getting one with experience of the division, working to similar structures within the club, level of players etc. would go someway to reduce the risk of failure

Last edited:
Lightening strikes about once a decade for us im not expecting a return to the premier league soon in fact I think that there’ll be a European super League before we get in the premier league.

If the club were going down from Champ to L1, Evatt would be well placed as would Paul Cook. However, being a division above and with the expectation to compete right from the start, I think the risk is too high. That's not to say there is not a risk with any other potential manager especially unproven ones like Terry but getting one with experience of the division, working to similar structures within the club, level of players etc. would go someway to reduce the risk of failure
Paul Cook 😱, bigger pisshead than Robson.

derekacorah

After we employ our next manager will you be able to tell us who did apply for the job?
No, my knowledge is Evatt related only unfortunately.

That's quite a high bar you're setting with Robson!

I'm not sure m/any currently contracted managers will have formally applied for the role.

Barrow fan here. Have seen a lot of Ian Evatt over the last couple of years (and was gutted when he left for Bolton).

He’s a very impressive up-and-coming manager. Got an eye for a good player. His teams are both well organised and play nice football.
But he’s not experienced enough for SUFC yet - it’s a bit step up to the Championship, and an even bigger step again to get back up to the Prem.

If Evatt gets Bolton promoted to League 1 and does well there, he’ll be a great prospect with another couple of years of experience.
That's a magnificent user name to use on an SUFC Forum pal. The very best local condiment

Although he’s not relevant as he’s too far down the leagues but Michael Flynn of Newport is spoken very highly of but I’m sure that we’d feel underwhelmed by him.

I like Evatt. I heard him do a full podcast with Tifo football about 18 months ago and was very impressed with him. His Barrow side were nicknamed ‘Barrowcelona’ by all that watched them, as they played brilliant football and went on to win the league, massively punching above their weight.

Then he took the Bolton job, denied himself the dream of managing his Barrow side in the football league and you can see why. Got decent budget and players and a clean slate at Bolton, they got off to a horrendous start and it all looked like a huge mistake, but he showed mettle and character and good management to steady the ship and now they look unstoppable. Fair play to him.

I don’t think the job is right for him at this time as much as I rate him, we need a ‘been there done that’ type of super manager for this level to get us back up in my opinion. I do think though if we have 2 or 3 years treading water and the parachute payments all dry up, he could be the perfect manager to freshen everything up and give us that spark.

Paul Cook does like a drink yes. My favourite Paul Cook story is the one where he was staying at Casa Hotel opposite the new Chesterfield ground during his role as manager there. He apparently got so bladdered he fell asleep in the lift and shit himself.

The away fans the next game sang to the tune of ‘stuck in an elevator’ by Aerosmith ‘Cook in an elevator.. shitting himself as it’s going down’.

I'm just commenting on Evatt, I know nothing about Blessin but a few people seem to have a hard on for him because he's foreign and we've not had a foreign manager before.

I'm fairly confident that whoever comes in will be on their way out within 12 months so it matters little really, maybe let Evatt have another 12 months and pick him up next season. He'd 100% be interested from the horse's mouth.
Why are you convinced the new manager will not last a year?

Paul Cook does like a drink yes. My favourite Paul Cook story is the one where he was staying at Casa Hotel opposite the new Chesterfield ground during his role as manager there. He apparently got so bladdered he fell asleep in the lift and shit himself.

The away fans the next game sang to the tune of ‘stuck in an elevator’ by Aerosmith ‘Cook in an elevator.. shitting himself as it’s going down’.
I’ve heard the same story from the nephew of the owner of Casa. There’s something in it but I don’t think it’s 100% true.

Why are you convinced the new manager will not last a year?
Post Bassett and Warnock we’ve been a bit shit at picking decent managers and keeping them if we’ve had one. I’m expecting the post-Wilder years to be similar. It’s the ‘Blades way’.

Post Bassett and Warnock we’ve been a bit shit at picking decent managers and keeping them if we’ve had one. I’m expecting the post-Wilder years to be similar. It’s the ‘Blades way’.
It’s not just us either. A lot of clubs that go down end up having more than one manager before they come back up. Villa immediately springs to mind. It’ll be the same for Bournemouth or Swansea if they go up this time. Hopefully we’ll do a “Watford” but I wouldn’t put my mortgage on it.

I’d get Evatt in if Hecky goes.

He’s rebuilt Bolton, we’ll need a rebuild. He’s local and it would be a step up for him, fairly certain he’d be interested in the position as well.

He told me last summer to lump on Bolton going up and based on current form he wasn’t wrong!

I’d get Evatt in if Hecky goes.

He’s rebuilt Bolton, we’ll need a rebuild. He’s local and it would be a step up for him, fairly certain he’d be interested in the position as well.

He told me last summer to lump on Bolton going up and based on current form he wasn’t wrong!

Erm…..

Endorsements from two well respected posters noted, but is it not a huge step up for him? Has he even coached / assisted at PL or Champ level?

Endorsements from two well respected posters noted, but is it not a huge step up for him? Has he even coached / assisted at PL or Champ level?
It’s a huge step up if you consider us a prem team but we’re looking less and less like one.

What he’s done with no money is his biggest selling point for me given what our budgets are likely to be for the foreseeable.

I think I’d take an up and comer like Evatt or Elliott at Notts County over a washed up Champ/PL manager with 13 sackings under their belt. Wilder was unproven and that turned out ok.

I suspect we’ll go foreign again next time though, trendy innit!

Back
Top Bottom