Do you think it right that Luton were allowed to postpone a Premier fixture

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

VictoryBlade

BobbyJ
Reaction score
So Luton have been allowed to postpone a fixture because their ground is not up to standard as yet. The potential impact is they have more time together to train and bed in new players. The thing for me is that if they couldn't comply with Premiership rules surely they should not have been allowed to enter that particular league? Or am i being too hard? The fact they are frantically trying to get the ground up to scratch is irrelevant as it wasn't ready for the new season. The alternative is they should have forfeited the points or play all games away till the stadium is ready. The fact Burnley agreed is also irrelevant as they are not the rule makers of the league. Luton to the Premiership is a fairy story, but do you think the authorities would have given us so much leeway? Thoughts people?

I believe they asked to play their game away at Burnley (basically swap the two H&A fixtures around) and Burnley said no. I assume it's because a postponement suited Burnley too, for the reasons you stated. Fair enough from Burnley.

I think they should have had to forfeit the game. But I am in a grumpy mood today. I ran out of fuel in the lawnmower and took it particularly bad.

Last edited:
So Luton have been allowed to postpone a fixture because their ground is not up to standard as yet. The potential impact is they have more time together to train and bed in new players. The thing for me is that if they couldn't comply with Premiership rules surely they should not have been allowed to enter that particular league? Or am i being too hard? The fact they are frantically trying to get the ground up to scratch is irrelevant as it wasn't ready for the new season. The alternative is they should have forfeited the points or play all games away till the stadium is ready. The fact Burnley agreed is also irrelevant as they are not the rule makers of the league. Luton to the Premiership is a fairy story, but do you think the authorities would have given us so much leeway? Thoughts people?
The older ones amongst us remember that Luton had a very healthy relationship with the top division many years ago, they have over achieved (like us) by getting into the Premier league, it's a fairy story about a bunch of cheats, but not unexpected..

I don't know the full extent of the work, but last season they were knocking on the door, that's when the work should have started... Its no excuse today.

Not being funny they'll get favours, they always have, if it'd been us we'd be looking at a points deduction..

Not something that bothers me tbh.

Having a ground that has to meet a certain standard goes right down the pyramid and considering where Luton have come from in recent years, I think it's understandable they've had a bigger challenge than others to get it ready.

Doubt there's anything underhand about it.

The older ones amongst us remember that Luton had a very healthy relationship with the top division many years ago, they have over achieved (like us) by getting into the Premier league, it's a fairy story about a bunch of cheats, but not unexpected..

I don't know the full extent of the work, but last season they were knocking on the door, that's when the work should have started... Its no excuse today.

Not being funny they'll get favours, they always have, if it'd been us we'd be looking at a points deduction..
Not sure Luton, who have never played in the PL before are going to be getting preferential treatment. Anyone who helped them out 30+ years ago is long gone.

Luton have been hammered by points deductions more than anyone

Apparently they are 'building a new stand' though apart from a few pics of scaffolding I can't see anything about this and the reason is given as 'updating the press box', assuming for VAR. Looking at how we are struggling to get up to speed it does seem to be giving them an edge.

This is our biggest concern….🙄

When you look at the pictures of the ground you can imagine it needs a few tweaks to deal with the inevitably bigger crowds. Think it's just one of those things

When you drop down the league's they don't think twice about barring you from promotion if you don't meet the standards. Had it a few times when playing North East Prem/County Amateur/Senior etc. Even conference sides have been denied promotions in the past. Fulham got away with that shitty away end with terracing for years somehow.

At the very least they should've been made to switch the fixture to Turf Moor.

If we have a reliance on Luton then we are already in bother.

The fact the PL has stringent and potentially unreasonable requests is what makes it difficult.

In simple terms, when they are moving to a new ground in 12 months, forcing them to spend 10m anyway in throwaway enhancements seems folly given the current state of the economy and somewhat needy from the PL.

Surely there were ways around this to avoid such a ludicrous waste of cash.

On one hand, having more games after the window could be an advantage. But then again, a fixture backlog may not be.

If the PL insists on certain standards then it needs to give promoted clubs time to achieve them. Otherwise it’s stopping clubs like Luton with poor facilities from having a fair crack of the whip.

It’s annoying because they’re probably worse than us but we’ve lost 2 games and they’ve only lost 1 🤣

If the PL insists on certain standards then it needs to give promoted clubs time to achieve them. Otherwise it’s stopping clubs like Luton with poor facilities from having a fair crack of the whip.

Why should any club get additional time?

When would you let them start at home, September, October, November....?

You know the requirements when you are in the Championship so it's not like it has come as a surprise.

The rules are there and apply to all. They've already had a couple of weeks leeway, which is very generous IMHO.

Why should any club get additional time?

When would you let them start at home, September, October, November....?

You know the requirements when you are in the Championship so it's not like it has come as a surprise.

The rules are there and apply to all. They've already had a couple of weeks leeway, which is very generous IMHO.
I’m not aware of the time restrictions but I’m assuming that tarting up Kenilworth Rd takes a bit longer than the City Ground or BDTBL for example. It is taking the piss a bit and I think they should probably be made to play elsewhere or reverse the fixture, but I can sympathise having been a couple of times to their ground.

There'll be positives and negatives to them not playing any home games at the moment, so for me there's no one big advantage that Luton are gaining here.

For example, as for their players staying fresher/more time on the training ground, that is all well and good but it also means they're not getting as big a picture to where they're at by playing league matches (as they're only playing half of the matches they should be at the moment). If this was in the Championship then I'd agree they're getting more advantage than not, but with less matches in this league then it's probably having more of a negative impact like I've just explained.

Not sure Luton, who have never played in the PL before are going to be getting preferential treatment. Anyone who helped them out 30+ years ago is long gone.
Not relevant to what you said but reminded me that they got relegated during the last season of the old first division along with World Cup Winners West Ham I always forget that they weren't founding members of the PL. Love owt like that me.

I don’t think it’s a failing on the part of Luton. What they’ve achieved in great, and going from NL to the PL is fantastic. Nobody could really expect them to have a ground that is PL ready in the time frame they had, and it was daft to expect them to prepare the ground to be PL ready on the off chance they went up last season.

I think the PL should have taken all this in to account and allowed them a bit of grace, by either extending the time frame to get their ground round ready and letting them play a couple of game at home even though it’s not up to PL spec, or letting them have the first 2 or 3 games away from home.

TBH they did us all a favour by not having the ground ready. Dont think my sides could cope with all the banter from newly discovered Arsenal fans making jokes about Tottenham penalties ending up in Ednas flower bed

I don’t think it’s a failing on the part of Luton. What they’ve achieved in great, and going from NL to the PL is fantastic. Nobody could really expect them to have a ground that is PL ready in the time frame they had, and it was daft to expect them to prepare the ground to be PL ready on the off chance they went up last season.

I think the PL should have taken all this in to account and allowed them a bit of grace, by either extending the time frame to get their ground round ready and letting them play a couple of game at home even though it’s not up to PL spec, or letting them have the first 2 or 3 games away from home.

They have already had some 'grace'. They requested an away match to open, which they got.

Poor Luton eh? Perhaps they should have been given a few extra points too, as a start to help the poor little darlings along.

I’m not aware of the time restrictions but I’m assuming that tarting up Kenilworth Rd takes a bit longer than the City Ground or BDTBL for example. It is taking the piss a bit and I think they should probably be made to play elsewhere or reverse the fixture, but I can sympathise having been a couple of times to their ground.

I think they should have had to play at Watford or Milton Keynes.

Oh shut up and go back to your room and finish your homework

Back
Top Bottom