CONFIRMED Cameron Archer signs for the Blades - 4 year contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MagnifiqueShorehamStreet hit the nail on the head even though he was joking. At the sums we are prepared to pay to compete in the hardest most prestigious league in the world we will keep getting rejected. We will end up going that far down the list with low ball bids we will end up approaching LA Galaxy for Billy Sharp.

Not saying don’t negotiate but £8-10m is embarrassing. Go £14 as a start.
£14? 🤣

I like Archer but assuming we go down we have to be careful we don't have another Brewster on our hands who has been a financial and playing disaster. Archer has a similar profile in that they both scored lots of goals in the Champ but no idea if they can do it at higher level.

I'd like us to sign him but our approach this summer seems to be building for the probable relegation but getting younger players on longer contracts. If we are spending 18-20 mill on him there is an argument we should have just accepted we might lose this money on Ndiaye & Berge but given ourselves a chance to stay up. Granted we now get longer contracted players but if we go down will Hamer and Archer want to stay?

Yes they are under contract but any fees we get from them would disappear in 12 months of operating costs/money lost from being in the Champ. Also if they bomb the long term contract is more of a hinderance. We wouldn't be able to give Brewster away now.

It's a tough one for the club.

It seeks many on social media have built this lad up as the difference but he's only ever played Champ loans and is very young. I think young strikers in the British leagues sadly fetch a lot more. I hope our scouting network has other options and we don't get drawn into paying too much. Granted I've been critical of Uniteds cheap policy to transfers but we seem to have a new approach and throwing nearly 20 mill on this lad would seem like it mirrors what we did with Brewster and McBurnie? We could be in the same mess as 2 years ago and back to square one.

United don't have time to mess around though. We should have our valuation and if Villa want quite a bit more, we need to move onto our next target. I've heard a lot say there is no one else but that's bonkers...United must be aware of tons of strikers around the World that they have scouted and we are potentially spending 10-14 mill. Its not like Warnock signing frees. Yes that's risky as it's another one from overseas but Brighton, Brentford seem to find gems on such fees?

We will see what happens. I hope we get Archer as like him but I don't see him as this player who's going to dramatically shift things like a few have. He'd help but he is still young. Personally I'd still use a loan on an experienced striker who can hold the ball up as neither Archer or McBurnie are those types?
He's not that young - 22 in December and other than last season hasn't pulled up many trees.
Definitely a risk and sadly unlikely to have Ndiaye's ability but will cost more. Lack of longer term planning left us where we are though so options are relatively limited.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. July 31st makes sense, as would a deadline set before the start of the season, or one tied to the end transfer window. Not one which expires on a Wednesday in the second week of the season.

Well it made sense to me.
It must’ve been agreed by all parties. I guess his agent felt July 31st was too early as business doesn’t ramp up till mid August.
And then the club will have said it has to at least give us time to find a replacement.
Compromise 👍

Archer has 4 years left on his contract which in effect nearly doubles his real value. At market rates, I'd say he'd be worth late teens and there's no way anybody is going to pay £30M + for him despite the fact he's done everything asked of him in his 2 loans so far, coupled with a great scoring record for England U21s. I suspect a loan and loan fee will be the outcome which will suit all parties.

I find it odd that Villa are looking to sell him to be honest. To me, he'd be ideal in their squad where you can name 9 subs this season.

Whilst I understand that worry about the alleged asking price I’m not sure where we find a striker that’s even remotely a proven commodity for anywhere in the 8-12 million pound range.

Not one with a resale value which is a key component of our decision making. I'm sure that if we offered that sum to West Ham for Michail Antonio they'd accept it but he'd be 36 and practically worthless at the end of a three year deal.

This doesn’t mean lumping high hopeful balls up to him with the faint hope summat could happen. It DOES however mean someone who is capable of receiving the ball back to goal, holding it up (after successfully controlling under pressure no doubt) and then doing something positive with it, which essentially means retaining possession in the main.

Don’t kid yourselves our current #9 is capable here. He isn’t. Sharp was better and that ship has sailed.

I know you've long since made up your mind but it's myopic in the extreme to suggest that Billy Sharp was better than Oli McBurnie last season. The only thing Sharp was better at was staying fit. He had my full support whenever he stepped on the pitch but it was clear that his all-round performances had started to decline.

We wanna get a wiggle on before forest get the dough for Johnson.

Anything Forest get for Johnson is going to disappear into a big black hole in their accounts under the heading "trade creditors".

Last edited:
Yeah he seems particularly obsessed by him and has whipped all the fans up that this lad is the next coming of Deane/Agana. I feel for Archer as if he comes the pressure will be huge on a youngish lad. Id like some of the expectation to be tempered if we get him. A lot of the social media followers also seem almost obsessed we have to sign him or we are done for! There are lots of other strikers and we still need some experience at the top of the field IMHO regardless.
Totally agree. However, I was fairly sure Brewster would do well for us and that was before the middle aged men with professional microphones. With any substantial fee there will always expectation - and unfortunately with Sheffield United, they rarely succeed.

If we do end up buying Archer, I just hope we play to his strength this time round. As I’m still not sure we did with Brewster until Hecky came in.

We’ll seemingly always overpay for potential unless we significantly invest in our scouting/recruitment set up. We’ve come into money in this window and had to revert procuring the best talent from the championship as that’s clearly what we know best and trust.

But honestly, I really can’t believe that we will meet the demands of Villa, as there appears to be an unbelievable amount of similarities with the Brewster deal and profiles.

Reactions: BV
Not one with a resale value which is a key component of our decision making. I'm sure that if we offered that sum to West Ham for Michail Antonio they'd accept it but he'd be 36 and practically worthless at the end of a three year deal.

I know you've long since made up your mind but it's myopic in the extreme to suggest that Billy Sharp was better than Oli McBurnie last season. The only thing Sharp was better at was staying fit. He had my full support whenever he stepped on the pitch but it was clear that his all-round performances had started to decline.

Anything Forest get for Johnson is going to disappear into a big black hole in their accounts under the heading "trade creditors".
Is that what I said ?

No it wasn’t.

Please keep up !!

UTB

Yeah if we were to target an older player you’re taking the gamble then that the player you’re bringing in doesn’t hit the cliff that sooner or later all players reach

I’m not saying Rifleman is a liar or anything like that at all but I just find it hard to believe that we’d be stupid enough to have gone into negations with Villa expecting anything less than £16m to be an accepted by Villa let alone £8m or £10m. I mean we signed mousset for £10m and Brewster for £23m and archer has a better record than either of them two probably combined. My point is that I assume If were negotiating its because we think we can get a deal done as it’s pretty obvious £15m would be the absolute lowest we would have been able to do and even that would probably be with future clauses

Is that what I said ?

No it wasn’t.

Please keep up !!

UTB
I cut your quote a paragraph too low, apologies. Fixed on the edit.

It is exactly what you said and my point stands: Sharp was demonstrably worse than McBurnie is almost every aspect of his play last season. There's a reason that he was only approached by one Championship side following his release and that was a local team widely regarded as one of the weakest in the division.

The objective team at whoscored.com had Sharp rated at 6.35 last season, in 355th place of 376 players who made a minimum of 20 appearances. McBurnie was 21st with a rating of 7.05.

Maybe it's you who needs to keep up?

I cut your quote a paragraph too low, apologies. Fixed on the edit.

It is exactly what you said and my point stands: Sharp was demonstrably worse than McBurnie is almost every aspect of his play last season. There's a reason that he was only approached by one Championship side following his release and that was a local team widely regarded as one of the weakest in the division.

The objective team at whoscored.com had Sharp rated at 6.35 last season, in 355th place of 376 players who made a minimum of 20 appearances. McBurnie was 21st with a rating of 7.05.

Maybe it's you who needs to keep up?
I am not known for my patience so arguing with someone who misquotes me, twice on the trot, and still perseveres with the misquote, is something I won’t be entertaining.

Have a nice day 😃.

UTB

I’m not saying Rifleman is a liar or anything like that at all but I just find it hard to believe that we’d be stupid enough to have gone into negations with Villa expecting anything less than £16m to be an accepted by Villa let alone £8m or £10m. I mean we signed mousset for £10m and Brewster for £23m and archer has a better record than either of them two probably combined. My point is that I assume If were negotiating its because we think we can get a deal done as it’s pretty obvious £15m would be the absolute lowest we would have been able to do and even that would probably be with future clauses
We did the exact same thing with Akpom.

We did the exact same thing with Akpom.
Didn’t Akpom only go for around £12-13m in the end? Im not saying you’re wrong, all im saying is we must be confident or else why bother negotiating. Archer was always going to cost more. He’s a young English striker who has been really successful in the championships for two years and is tied down to a long term deal whereas Akpom had one good year and was refusing to sign a contract

I get that, we’d all’ve loved for the transfer business to be completed weeks ago, but it wasn’t.

We’ll find out after match 38 if our strategy was correct, not after match 1 or 2.
I suspect we'll find out by match 30. Maybe 32 if we get lucky

They want £18mil and I can have a sneaky feeling we can't afford that...

So we're playing the season with McBurnie and Osula then!

Can't see any link to Che being true, not when Everton, Palace and Wolves are sniffing anyway....plus he doesn't like us and we don't like him!

Back
Top Bottom