CONFIRMED Cameron Archer signs for the Blades - 4 year contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we don’t have that money, we should be asking why. We’ve sold 2 players for around £30m this summer and had a cash injection for getting promoted.

Yeah I was impressed with him last year.

Still not £18m impressed.

Good player. Not £18m.

Jog on Blades !

UTB
Cant disagree he is a good player with potential but echoes here of the Brewster deal, cracking player blah blah get him in potential blah blah - its always a risk and risk has a ceiling. Is he worth more than we sold Ndiaye for - no way, but he might be but not yet.

I do get your point, but we seem to be juggling plates and sometimes when you do that you just end up with a load of smashed plates! 😂 It's a dangerous game which could lead to the well worn phrase being wheeled out again, "we tried....."
I'd rather get Archer in now while we can, get him settled in, and up our chances of scoring and getting points on the board.

If all summer we’d gone to the negotiating table with the attitude that we’ll pay whatever it takes, we’d probably have already spent an extra £10m.

Our current patient approach might be the only reason we’ve still got money in the kitty to sign Archer.

Yes its all opinions, I agree he is a player with potential a very good prospect. Are we in a position to risk probably the whole budget left on an overpriced prospect?
I say no we aren't, we have been there before 3 years ago and look what happened then.
If it is over our price limit then we walk away or do we do what desperate people do, do ....... desperate things

They should give him us for free as belated payment for not kicking up more of a stink about the GLT debacle that kept them up ¯\(ツ)

Yes its all opinions, I agree he is a player with potential a very good prospect. Are we in a position to risk probably the whole budget left on an overpriced prospect?
I say no we aren't, we have been there before 3 years ago and look what happened then.
If it is over our price limit then we walk away or do we do what desperate people do, do ....... desperate things

To play devil's advocate, we've bounced back to the Premier League so that's not a bad result from those signings, and is in fact what many people are wanting us to plan for now.

Yeah I was impressed with him last year.

Still not £18m impressed.

Good player. Not £18m.

Jog on Blades !

UTB
So far we've got inexperienced youngsters and a player who is constantly injured. Plus McB who is a different type of striker and not without his own injury record.

In todays market I feel Archer is probably worth something around that figure tbh.

Whether we can't afford it or are unwilling I don't know.

However, I just wonder what players some expect us to bring in having returned to the PL.

We've signed some promising young players from abroad who will need time but we're woefully short in creative and attacking areas.

I'm just not sure who some think we should sign to make us credible, let alone give us a fighting chance.

If all summer we’d gone to the negotiating table with the attitude that we’ll pay whatever it takes, we’d probably have already spent an extra £10m.

Our current patient approach might be the only reason we’ve still got money in the kitty to sign Archer.
Again, I appreciate your point.
We've saved some money, but we've basically thrown the first match by not having suitable players in place.
I dare say the same will happen tomorrow night as we haven't got the firepower to trouble anyone.
I don't think anyone expects us to get anything against Man City, but how many more matches do we have to forfeit whilst we're saving few quid, and how far adrift will we be when we can actually start competing?
I really feel for Hecky - our tyre kicking is doing him no favours whatsoever.

We signed Brester for £23m and he wasn’t proven at any level but Yoooofffff teams.

Prices have gone up in every aspect of life and not as much as in football, thanks Saudis. We are just in a time warp thinking we can buck the market, someone will step in from ‘t championship and pay it, maybe Leeds.

If we are that skint stop spending, accept the inevitable, go with what we’ve got and develop our Yooffs int PL but please stop embarrassing the club by showing how poorly we are run.
He (Brewster) had the same scoring records as Archer. 11 goals in 22 games. I don't think £8m is an embarrassing opening offer.

£23M for Brewster is embarrassing.

Just pay the man already !
Like it or not we are following the Norwich model. Get promoted, sell your best players, get some money,sign no cunt that would give you a chance of staying up, get relegated and (hopefully) repeat.

We've saved some money, but we've basically thrown the first match by not having suitable players in place.
I dare say the same will happen tomorrow night as we haven't got the firepower to trouble anyone.
I don't think anyone expects us to get anything against Man City, but how many more matches do we have to forfeit whilst we're saving few quid, and how far adrift will we be when we can actually start competing?

I get that, we’d all’ve loved for the transfer business to be completed weeks ago, but it wasn’t.

We’ll find out after match 38 if our strategy was correct, not after match 1 or 2.

That’s what parachute payments are for aren’t they? To pay off high contracts if religated not to buy more players. If your employer hits a rough patch and says sales are down so I’m cutting everyone’s wages but bringing in more people you’d rightly kick off.

We had relegation clauses on all our players other than Berge. We hardly signed anyone (if anyone) after relegation, sold several high value players, and still ended up in financial difficulty.

Relegation clauses are entirely necessary.

Cant disagree he is a good player with potential but echoes here of the Brewster deal, cracking player blah blah get him in potential blah blah - its always a risk and risk has a ceiling. Is he worth more than we sold Ndiaye for - no way, but he might be but not yet.
I agree he is no where near as good as Ndiaye but at the same time we need a player like him .We cant carry on the way we are doing without a new striker . Having said that we dont want ripping off either but time is pressing ,We are paying a price for a slow start to our transfer window ,we dont want to be seen as desperate but in reality we are .We are woefully short of fire power .The way things are going I can see Ossy finding himself playing center forward if the strikers we have fit end up joining our other strikers in the treatment room. It seems when our players get injured we dont see them again for 12 bloody months .

So far we've got inexperienced youngsters and a player who is constantly injured. Plus McB who is a different type of striker and not without his own injury record.

In todays market I feel Archer is probably worth something around that figure tbh.

Whether we can't afford it or are unwilling I don't know.

However, I just wonder what players some expect us to bring in having returned to the PL.

We've signed some promising young players from abroad who will need time but we're woefully short in creative and attacking areas.

I'm just not sure who some think we should sign to make us credible, let alone give us a fighting chance.
I agree he’s a good player. If we had a bigger budget it’s a no brainer.

However.

I am firmly of the opinion that the “profile” of player we need at the top of the pitch would be more capable, much more capable actually, of being an “outlet” ball. A target man.

This doesn’t mean lumping high hopeful balls up to him with the faint hope summat could happen. It DOES however mean someone who is capable of receiving the ball back to goal, holding it up (after successfully controlling under pressure no doubt) and then doing something positive with it, which essentially means retaining possession in the main.

That’s what we need.

Don’t kid yourselves our current #9 is capable here. He isn’t. Sharp was better and that ship has sailed.

Given the difficulties we are likely to encounter throughout the season, a player like Archer would be great, albeit something of a luxury and quite possibly, largely ineffective through no fault of his own !!!!

UTB

The way things are panning out i dont think we will sign Archer .Hope i am wrong

I like Archer but assuming we go down we have to be careful we don't have another Brewster on our hands who has been a financial and playing disaster. Archer has a similar profile in that they both scored lots of goals in the Champ but no idea if they can do it at higher level.

I'd like us to sign him but our approach this summer seems to be building for the probable relegation but getting younger players on longer contracts. If we are spending 18-20 mill on him there is an argument we should have just accepted we might lose this money on Ndiaye & Berge but given ourselves a chance to stay up. Granted we now get longer contracted players but if we go down will Hamer and Archer want to stay?

Yes they are under contract but any fees we get from them would disappear in 12 months of operating costs/money lost from being in the Champ. Also if they bomb the long term contract is more of a hinderance. We wouldn't be able to give Brewster away now.

It's a tough one for the club.

It seeks many on social media have built this lad up as the difference but he's only ever played Champ loans and is very young. I think young strikers in the British leagues sadly fetch a lot more. I hope our scouting network has other options and we don't get drawn into paying too much. Granted I've been critical of Uniteds cheap policy to transfers but we seem to have a new approach and throwing nearly 20 mill on this lad would seem like it mirrors what we did with Brewster and McBurnie? We could be in the same mess as 2 years ago and back to square one.

United don't have time to mess around though. We should have our valuation and if Villa want quite a bit more, we need to move onto our next target. I've heard a lot say there is no one else but that's bonkers...United must be aware of tons of strikers around the World that they have scouted and we are potentially spending 10-14 mill. Its not like Warnock signing frees. Yes that's risky as it's another one from overseas but Brighton, Brentford seem to find gems on such fees?

We will see what happens. I hope we get Archer as like him but I don't see him as this player who's going to dramatically shift things like a few have. He'd help but he is still young. Personally I'd still use a loan on an experienced striker who can hold the ball up as neither Archer or McBurnie are those types?

Exactly this. By the time we get a striker(and someone to create) he'll need to score about 25 goals we'll be that far adrift.

I agree he’s a good player. If we had a bigger budget it’s a no brainer.

However.

I am firmly of the opinion that the “profile” of player we need at the top of the pitch would be more capable, much more capable actually, of being an “outlet” ball. A target man.

This doesn’t mean lumping high hopeful balls up to him with the faint hope summat could happen. It DOES however mean someone who is capable of receiving the ball back to goal, holding it up (after successfully controlling under pressure no doubt) and then doing something positive with it, which essentially means retaining possession in the main.

That’s what we need.

Don’t kid yourselves our current #9 is capable here. He isn’t. Sharp was better and that ship has sailed.

Given the difficulties we are likely to encounter throughout the season, a player like Archer would be great, albeit something of a luxury and quite possibly, largely ineffective through no fault of his own !!!!

UTB
Totally agree. We saw on Saturday balls played over the top does not work. We need to utilise some of the midfielders we have as we may have to score goals in other ways. Keeping it up the top of the field and having midfielders supporting. If Archer or Traore are just chasing long balls, we are not going to keep the ball much.

Totally agree. We saw on Saturday balls played over the top does not work. We need to utilise some of the midfielders we have as we may have to score goals in other ways. Keeping it up the top of the field and having midfielders supporting. If Archer or Traore are just chasing long balls, we are not going to keep the ball much.
You can have some success with quicker players running in behind in the channels.

But in the main that’s not how we build our play up and it would be a seed change to adopt.

These lads just aren’t Tony Agana and Brian Deane isn’t waiting in the middle either !!

UTB

Jimmy - Blades Ramble who is obssessed that we buy Archer has a fingers crossed GIF on Twitter an hour ago and the rabble are now getting excited.
Yeah he seems particularly obsessed by him and has whipped all the fans up that this lad is the next coming of Deane/Agana. I feel for Archer as if he comes the pressure will be huge on a youngish lad. Id like some of the expectation to be tempered if we get him. A lot of the social media followers also seem almost obsessed we have to sign him or we are done for! There are lots of other strikers and we still need some experience at the top of the field IMHO regardless.

I don't know what's funnier, you think these two's 'source' is feeding them every single little update as it comes in like a sky sports news ribbon, or that you lot actually believe either of them.
They've either; got a camera inside Steven Bettis' eyeballs, great hackers of Bramall Lane's internal camera systems, are more linked up than Fabrizio Romano, actually are Steve Bettis 🐍, or they're bullshitting.

Long live EIGHTEEN89, Richard Cadette and (maybe) T_Blade.

FWIW if their source is genuinely keeping them so in the loop, then he must be absolutely fucked bless him
1692283182344.png

If we can't fund this type of signing, I just wonder who we can fund who is likely to have a positive impact or be of use next season either as a player in the Champ, or with their resale value.

Decent strikers don't come remotely cheap. Your Didzys are the huge exception than the rule.

Can't help but think there's better value elsewhere on earth but looks like this is what we want.

Villa see themselves as a club trying to break into the top 4, Cameron Archer is a very very good championship player. He needs to move to further his career villa don’t have to sell for the books.
If they don’t need to balance the books, why are they favouring a buy over a loan? If it’s because they want to maximise the money they can make off him while he has a good rep, maybe they do need to sell….? Something has to give somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom