Outgoing? Brewster and Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mate, you’re literally out for an argument. My initial point was referring to a swap deal no goal posts moved? Was it or was it not a swap deal?

And I referred to it as one of the worst, you’ve referred to another. Well done 👍🏻
Your OP said 'some of the worst deals' but fair enough.

I just don't like the rewriting of history. People don't like Wilder now, fair enough. But there's no need to exaggerate how bad a manager he was, we were shit enough last season without needing to resort to hyperbole.

Your OP said 'some of the worst deals' but fair enough.

I just don't like the rewriting of history. People don't like Wilder now, fair enough. But there's no need to exaggerate how bad a manager he was, we were shit enough last season without needing to resort to hyperbole.
He was the best manager Ive witnessed at United. Played the best football for 2 seasons when we were promoted. Connected with the fans more than anyone I’ve ever experienced.

His signings in the premiership just didn’t work at all unfortunately and that one in particular in my opinion was bizarre when Robinson was signed for the situation we’re in now.

Seriously!? Henderson was a beast

If a donkey is a beast then yes, Henderson was a beast.

He was only bought after he smashed Utd's defence around whilst playing for Watford - that obviously impressed Warnock.

Despite the odd red card and occasional goal, he never really lived up to his transfer fee or expectations.
Blackwell rather than Warnock. We bought Henderson in the summer of 2008.
...but he did score goals !!
7 goals in 37 appearances in his first season, 12 in 35 appearances in his second season then 2 in 8 in his final season.

I distinctly remember reading the BBC Football headline that we'd signed Henderson. I was gutted. I was also right to be gutted, he was rubbish. More interested in wrestling centre halves and getting sent off than playing football.

7 goals in 37 appearances in his first season, 12 in 35 appearances in his second season then 2 in 8 in his final season.

I distinctly remember reading the BBC Football headline that we'd signed Henderson. I was gutted. I was also right to be gutted, he was rubbish. More interested in wrestling centre halves and getting sent off than playing football.

"...7 goals in 37 appearances in his first season..."

Average of a goal every five games, not great.

"...12 in 35 appearances in his second season..."

Average of a goal every three games, not too bad.

"...then 2 in 8 in his final season..."

Average of a goal every four games, not great.

The thing is, I think we would all walk barefoot over broken glass for our current strikers to get close to that.

A donkey is also known as a beast of burden in some endz, just so you know 😉

Its not like he was bought to be a fox in box, he was a battering ram, i bet defenders hated playing against him

That’s one every four games, which while not great is better than anybody we have at present other than Billy ?

Agree Henderson was Gash! The wrestling feature of his game reminds me of McBurnie.

View attachment 119624

But ive not seen McBurnie win one his wrestling matches yet! You got in a tussle with old Eeyore and your career was ended. Like comparing the Cat Weasel to Ultimate Warrior!

McBurnie/Cat Weasel 😂

A donkey is also known as a beast of burden in some endz, just so you know 😉

Its not like he was bought to be a fox in box, he was a battering ram, i bet defenders hated playing against him

Matt Killgallon did when we played Watford, Darius put the fear of God up him at Vickerage Road when he came on as sub..

I wonder what Brewster's agent is thinking ? His career has clearly stalled at the Lane - sometimes a move is the only thing to get out of a rut - but we've got to be big enough to admit what's in front of our face + take the £ loss on the chin
I really thought that Brewster would be a success here and still hope that he will be. Looking at the goals he scored at Swansea and England it seems as though his strengths are running from deep with the ball and scoring. He hits the ball hard and early. (Well he did when he was confident). He has a good understanding of football when he has the ball, and has made some super passes. His best game for us was when he played against Swansea, as the wide of 3, though he ended up playing too much in defence, as there was no midfield. His weakness is now his confidence and he really doesn’t make the runs of a nr 9. He either doesn’t know or he is hiding. Remember watching DCL for Everton at the start, he hid and didn’t attack the space but that has changed and the goals have come. Can Brewster learn this or is it best to persevere with him as wide left of 3?

I really thought that Brewster would be a success here and still hope that he will be. Looking at the goals he scored at Swansea and England it seems as though his strengths are running from deep with the ball and scoring. He hits the ball hard and early. (Well he did when he was confident). He has a good understanding of football when he has the ball, and has made some super passes. His best game for us was when he played against Swansea, as the wide of 3, though he ended up playing too much in defence, as there was no midfield. His weakness is now his confidence and he really doesn’t make the runs of a nr 9. He either doesn’t know or he is hiding. Remember watching DCL for Everton at the start, he hid and didn’t attack the space but that has changed and the goals have come. Can Brewster learn this or is it best to persevere with him as wide left of 3?
Currently Brewster might be our best options from wide left didzy certainly hasn’t been effective when played out there.

That’s one every four games, which while not great is better than anybody we have at present other than Billy ?
Those were Championship seasons. I don't have the time to split sub appearances out (sorry) but these are the second tier records for us and in total for our recognised first team strikers, excluding Ty Smith and Daniel Jebbison as they've not made a league appearance at second tier level.

Second tier records for United
Sharp 45 goals in 131 appearances (37 in 78 in this spell with us)
McGoldrick 15 in 49
McBurnie 0 in 4
Brewster 0 in 3
Burke 0 in 3
Mousset 0 in 1

Total second tier records
Sharp 115 in 326 appearances
McGoldrick 75 in 322
McBurnie 31 in 63
Brewster 10 in 23
Burke 6 in 33 (7 in 64 if you include his spell in the SPL)
Mousset 0 in 1

Average of a goal every four games, not great.

The thing is, I think we would all walk barefoot over broken glass for our current strikers to get close to that.

It certainly shows how badly off we currently are if nostalgia for Darius bloody Henderson is in the air.

The most flattering thing I remember anyone ever saying about the big lummox was at an away game somewhere, where the bloke behind me said to his mate, “He dunt know his arse from his elbow”, and his mate replied, “Well he certainly knows where his elbow is”.

Fucking useless.

We may be struggling at the mo. More reason than ever to beware bad nostalgia.

I really really wouldn’t mind a focal point like Henderson up front with the lack of creativity we have… that’s saying summat

Who would take Brewster? He hasn’t scored in a league game ,shows no discernible football skills.
His agent (and Liverpool)is probably thanking his lucky stars that there was an idiot like Wilder around.
He is another Jordon Slew ,Under 19 international ,scored a few goals as a teenager,got a big money transfer. Now scored 14 goals in an 11 year career.
Its all very sad but it’s our bed so we will have to lie in it.
He can lie in it whilst we play Jebbo ahead of him ...
Instead of doing that which is staring us in the face ,
Blades management seems to be trying to hide their embarrassment by playing him ahead of Jebbo , due to the money wasted on him.
I have no truck with transfer fees & where players came from - just play the better player please , the one who looks on the up , not on the slide.

thats correct and i didnt blame the club one bit for not paying it however maupay is so far in front of mcburnie quality wise with hindsight now maybe we should have paid it 🤔
Maupay would have been even worse than McBurnie under Wilder's second season tactics. Hoofing it at an isolated McBurnie is one thing, hoofing it to an isolated Maupay another entirely.

FWIW I don't think either is PL class.

Back
Top Bottom