Outgoing? Brewster and Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What also doesn't make sense to me is how the narrative was one of refraining from spending last January, when PL survival felt far-fetched, in order to be able to spend more purposefully this summer. I was fully on board with that idea, it seemed sensible. Then, nothing appears to be materialising now ..
Was that actually the narrative at the time? I don't remember anyone saying "if we don't spend the money now we can spend it next summer" but I might be wrong.

For me, it's just as likely that we didn't spend it then because we knew we couldn't afford it due to relegation being inevitable.

Was that actually the narrative at the time? I don't remember anyone saying "if we don't spend the money now we can spend it next summer" but I might be wrong.

For me, it's just as likely that we didn't spend it then because we knew we couldn't afford it due to relegation being inevitable.

it was mentioned by the Prince in his interview. He went along the lines throwing money at trying to stay in the PL which was not guaranteed weighed up against just a couple of loans and then using the money to rebuild in the summer with relegation. They preferred to not waste anymore money on the PL.

As we know the loans didnt happen either as the two parties could not agree on the transfers.

The decisions Wilder made in swapping Robinson for Burke, signing McBurnie for £20m instead of Maupay, signing Brewster for £24m are some of the worst deals in Premiership history.
A few might not have been first choice don't forget.
Maupay shit on us by all accounts.
Cash, Robinson and a few others (that aren't doing too bad) as well.

but the same problem is happening in the championship as it did in the premier league targets are going to other clubs it has to be a financial problem but after alls said and done you get what you pay for our salary structure is still not ambitious enough says it all about the club when we get shown up for not paying staff minimum wage get your act together prince and bettis or we will be back where we started 9 years ago

but the same problem is happening in the championship as it did in the premier league targets are going to other clubs it has to be a financial problem but after alls said and done you get what you pay for our salary structure is still not ambitious enough says it all about the club when we get shown up for not paying staff minimum wage get your act together prince and bettis or we will be back where we started 9 years ago
I’d disagree it’s the same problem as in the prem but it’s definitely very concerning. All our targets this summer appear to be loans and we’re losing out because I think they’re unrealistic sure they’d be amazing if they came off but they’re not doing. We’re chasing loans that are premier league caliber loans whilst in the championship. Now that’s fine if you’ve got one or two ambitious loan targets which you hope to add to an already solid core and they’re a bonus but we’re trying to desperately plug holes with them and it’s not working. We’ve been unrealistic and we’re paying for it.

The decisions Wilder made in swapping Robinson for Burke, signing McBurnie for £20m instead of Maupay, signing Brewster for £24m are some of the worst deals in Premiership history.
If you think swapping Robinson (who was shocking for us) for Burke plus a few million is one of the worst deals in PL history, you've not been paying much attention.

We didn't sign McBurnie instead of Maupay, Maupay fucked us off for Brighton.

If you think swapping Robinson (who was shocking for us) for Burke plus a few million is one of the worst deals in PL history, you've not been paying much attention.

Not disagreeing with your points raised but there was a reason Robinson was shocking for us and that was because Wilder bought the lad and then tried playing him as an out and out centre forward when he is much better being played on the side of a forward 3. We played him out of position and never got the potential out of him. Bad management, again.

I'd reluctantly welcome offers for Brewster. Just hasn't done and doesn't bring that raw liveliness that protégés should. He's shown a bit of a glimmer these last couple of games to turn and run a man, but that's it. I'd listen to offers for McBurnie first mind. I'd sell Burke. But then we are faced with actively needing to recruit as there is no way Sharp and Didz can shoulder the workload or that Moose can be relied upon. Jebbo would be getting pushed front and centre in the cue for me. If the above funds the recruitment we need, so be it.
I wonder what Brewster's agent is thinking ? His career has clearly stalled at the Lane - sometimes a move is the only thing to get out of a rut - but we've got to be big enough to admit what's in front of our face + take the £ loss on the chin

Haha that £40 mill buy back clause on Brewster must be the greatest bluff I’ve ever seen

Oh no little old Sheffield united we will only sell if there’s a buy back they’ve done us like an absoloute kipper 😄
And we go back to them for Ben Davies ? Are we feckin mad ?

Did Wilder not scout Calum Robinson ?
If he did , why did he buy him in the first place if the lad didn't suit the available vacancy in Wilder's formation ?
Why did Wilder buy Calum Robinson ?
Why did he buy Luke Freeman + hardly ever play him ?
Wilder's strategy on acquisitions since May 2019 was utter bollocks.

My theory is,the squad needed a big shake up that should have begun a while ago.The deadwood is dragging the whole squad down,those that can do it feel like they are just banging their heads against a brick wall because those who can't are making it impossible for them to perform at their desired level.After a while,they just think sod this,I can't work with these,and their heads drop,so from half a team,you go to no functioning team.You bring in good replacements instead of playing dead wood and rejuvenate the ones who's heads have dropped,you then have a fully functioning team with everybody singing from the same hymnsheet.
I don't get why we didn't start offloading players in January.

It seems all we did was accumulate players in the top flight.

There seemed no concept of getting Brewster in so moving out someone else. Selling one player to upgrade to another. We just bought, bought, bought. We must have been the only team to be relegated and still have a full squad.

In Jan we had Stevens, Osborn and Lowe all wingbacks, not to mention RND. Why were we not actively pushing one out?

I just find the whole waste of it all grates on me. All this talk of training facilities. Had we not bothered with Brewster we could have done some amazing work with that cash on the facilities and it would have been lasting.

Also irks Wilder's unwillingness to look at our own youngsters. Months later Jebbison was ahead of Brewster anyway.

Still think Darius Henderson at £2m was £2m overpriced and pound for pound one of the worst signings we've ever made, but yeah, Brewster leaving now for say half what we paid for him - if lucky - would make it the worst signing.

Seriously!? Henderson was a beast

I wonder what Brewster's agent is thinking ? His career has clearly stalled at the Lane - sometimes a move is the only thing to get out of a rut - but we've got to be big enough to admit what's in front of our face + take the £ loss on the chin
i think your right about brewster hes never really looked like he wanted to be here and i think best thing for him and the club might be to let him go out on loan with a view to buy at the end of it and like you say we will have to take a hit on him if we could get 12m for him it will probably be as much as we can hope for

It was one of the worst swaps yes. If you think otherwise you’ve also not been paying much attention.

Plus a few million quid. No chance we swapped him plus a few million quid (by a few I’m presuming you mean £3m)

its probably been mentioned, i cant be arsed to read it all but honestly, who the fuck would want to buy either of those two???

I think some of the lower PL teams would take Brewster,maybe Newcastle or Burnley and play him off the bench.What they would pay is another matter,any body interested would have the advantage over us.

Seriously!? Henderson was a beast
Donkey in my view! £2m doesn't sound a lot now, but back when we signed him it was a huge fee for us. He was injury prone, his heading was wayward and I don't remember him justifying his fee. He scored 20 in 70, that's ok, but he was brought into replace Beattie who was one of the best centre forwards we've ever had in my view. All about opinions though.

Donkey in my view! £2m doesn't sound a lot now, but back when we signed him it was a huge fee for us. He was injury prone, his heading was wayward and I don't remember him justifying his fee. He scored 20 in 70, that's ok, but he was brought into replace Beattie who was one of the best centre forwards we've ever had in my view. All about opinions though.

He was only bought after he smashed Utd's defence around whilst playing for Watford - that obviously impressed Warnock.

Despite the odd red card and occasional goal, he never really lived up to his transfer fee or expectations.

They can both take a hike for me.

Burke's already had more clubs than Tiger Woods where after a season, every manager he plays under realises that while he's an athlete, he's a dreadful footballer.

Brewster is one of these who gets hyped up yet other than half a season at Swansea, he's barely played any men's football but because he was on Liverpool's books, we've paid through the nose for him where if he was any good, he'd be back there playing like Harvey Elliott is.

There are plenty of other young lads at Liverpool who won't make it but people will be duped into thinking they're decent players because they were there once when a few might have a decent career at Tranmere or Southport if they're lucky.

Jack Robinson debuted there as a 16 year old before being fairly swiftly moved on from every club he's been at since. Plenty of long-ish loan spells but nobody at Wolves, Blackpool or Huddersfield bust a gut to keep him and he barely played at QPR either. Why? Because he's crap but because Chris Wilder managed to fix Coutts and Basham, he seemed to think that anyone he signed could be transformed into a decent footballer.

While we're taking the piss out of Darius Henderson, yes, he was big lump and a walking red card but he's got a goalscoring record that most of the strikers on our books can only dream of.

Who would take Brewster? He hasn’t scored in a league game ,shows no discernible football skills.
His agent (and Liverpool)is probably thanking his lucky stars that there was an idiot like Wilder around.
He is another Jordon Slew ,Under 19 international ,scored a few goals as a teenager,got a big money transfer. Now scored 14 goals in an 11 year career.
Its all very sad but it’s our bed so we will have to lie in it.

Did Wilder not scout Calum Robinson ?
If he did , why did he buy him in the first place if the lad didn't suit the available vacancy in Wilder's formation ?
Why did Wilder buy Calum Robinson ?
Why did he buy Luke Freeman + hardly ever play him ?
Wilder's strategy on acquisitions since May 2019 was utter bollocks.
Wilder thought he could convert him into a striker, which is where he played against us the other day.
We bought him because he was going for cheap and wanted a trickier option upfront.
We bought Luke Freeman because he was cheap and one of the best attacking midfielders in the Championship. We switched to a flat 3 in midfield, but he wanted the option of switching back to playing with a number 10.

I'm not arguing it all went well because it clearly didn't.

It was one of the worst swaps yes. If you think otherwise you’ve also not been paying much attention.

Plus a few million quid. No chance we swapped him plus a few million quid (by a few I’m presuming you mean £3m)
So we've moved the goalposts from worst signing to worst swap. I'm going by what was reported at the time of the deal which suggested a couple of million.

Didn't Man U swap Mkhitaryan for Sanchez, who they paid 560k a week and the signing on fee was about £10mill. He did less for Man U than Burke has done for us.

Not disagreeing with your points raised but there was a reason Robinson was shocking for us and that was because Wilder bought the lad and then tried playing him as an out and out centre forward when he is much better being played on the side of a forward 3. We played him out of position and never got the potential out of him. Bad management, again.
True to an extent, aye.

He is playing upfront for West Brom now though, so he has managed to transition into a striker.

Who would take Brewster? He hasn’t scored in a league game ,shows no discernible football skills.
His agent (and Liverpool)is probably thanking his lucky stars that there was an idiot like Wilder around.
He is another Jordon Slew ,Under 19 international ,scored a few goals as a teenager,got a big money transfer. Now scored 14 goals in an 11 year career.
Its all very sad but it’s our bed so we will have to lie in it.
i think somebody might take a gamble on him but only on loan with a possible view to buy if hes a success

So we've moved the goalposts from worst signing to worst swap. I'm going by what was reported at the time of the deal which suggested a couple of million.

Didn't Man U swap Mkhitaryan for Sanchez, who they paid 560k a week and the signing on fee was about £10mill. He did less for Man U than Burke has done for us.
Mate, you’re literally out for an argument. My initial point was referring to a swap deal no goal posts moved? Was it or was it not a swap deal?

And I referred to it as one of the worst, you’ve referred to another. Well done 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom