Board cost us a point today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hey !!!! What's the worse that can happen ?
We go down to the Championship with a better team than we came up with
fresh relegation payments, and a new premiership record...

Sorted 🙈👍

The side won't look anything like that come September (thankfully), so there's no point getting wound up about it.

I think that may genuinely be the worst front 5 we've put out since the Adkins days though.
It's annoying though to be starting a season with a team that is much worse than finished last season. The sales of Illy and Berge obviously put a massive spanner in the works. Hopefully this week will bring in some decent additions.

If we take the assumption of the board costing us a point, which I don’t necessarily disagree with the premise of.

We also have to accept that it’s the boards fault for this being the 3rd season in the Premier League in 5 years. You’ve got to go back 25 years for the prior 3 seasons in the top flight.

🤷🏼‍♂️

You like listening to the board don't you? Ndiaye and Berge have not been signing new contracts all along, no secret. Should've sold them weeks ago or got replacements in first. Instead the board sanctioned their departures days before the start of the season and them blamed them for doing what they were always going to do, hence today's debacle. Read the original post again and have a think.

There is no webuyanyplayer.com, we can’t just decide to sell a player and he’s out the door the next day.

I suppose we could drop our asking price, but I’m not sure that’s a very good idea to miss out on millions in transfer fee so we can get rid of a player quicker.

I'm not sure what could have been sorted out months or even weeks ago that would have resulted us having better prospects for the season overall now. Our priorities changed when NDiaye left. It's not great losing early points but blowing it all early would have given us less chance of bringing in the genuine quality needed to replace him and Berge now plus other positions. It's catch 22 situation caused in the main by our low transfer budget and then losing our 2 key midfield players late in the window, but at least we seem to be addressing the problem. The next 2 weeks will tell.
Don't sell a star player without having the alternative/replacement locked in and ready to go. Utter incompetence from the suits has hurt the club on its first day back in the most competitive and lucrative league on the planet.

Its hard enough to be a success at this level without ballsing up the absolute basics

If we take the assumption of the board costing us a point, which I don’t necessarily disagree with the premise of.

We also have to accept that it’s the boards fault for this being the 3rd season in the Premier League in 5 years. You’ve got to go back 25 years for the prior 3 seasons in the top flight.

🤷🏼‍♂️
To be fair, it was a different board that got us there last time.

🤷🏼‍♂️
The board already has the credit from the fans for that, todays shambles is still an absolute joke and thoroughly avoidable.

Delighted with the signing of Hamer, its an upgrade on Berge for our style of play imo, but the've not brought in one attacker or number 10 since we sold N'Diaye and its ridiculous that they haven't

They’ve been linked with moves away all summer. NDiaye told the club he wasn’t signing a new deal straight after the Portugal tour, The Princes words.

So we’ve had around 3/4 weeks to prepare for life without NDiaye if you isolate his position as the key role we were missing today for creativity.

I’m not a football scout so I’ll resist chucking a load of ‘unrealistic’ names on here. That’s for the professionals to do.

My expectation of being ready is to have as close to 85-90% of your starting 11 pretty much there for the first game of the season give or take 2/3 late bargains that you can do.

If you base these expectations recent previous Premiership seasons

1st season this is what we did - Top half finish
2nd season this is what we didn’t do - Relegation

Our attack today was nowhere near good enough. By the time it is good enough we could have lost a few valuable points. That’s just a fact.
You are bang on. Managers work on 2/3 transfer windows ahead. Ndiaye and Berge were living last year and Hecky alluded to it more recently in an interview and the only thing he said that was a surprise is that it hadn’t happened sooner. Any transfer windows are approached way in advance of that window and it is done (depending on budgets) of which Hecky hasn’t had one prior to these sales and the money generated as still not been spent. Bearing all this in mind you either accept the fact that the team that walked on the field reflected the ambition of the board to this point or blame it on Osborn or the management team. I know where i stand on the issue.

Don't sell a star player without having the alternative/replacement locked in and ready to go. Utter incompetence from the suits has hurt the club on its first day back in the most competitive and lucrative league on the planet.

Its hard enough to be a success at this level without ballsing up the absolute basics

It’s like banging your head against a brick wall this thread.

“just get a new player to replace Ndiaye before today”

It’s not as easy as that!! Fuckkkkkkk!

Do you genuinely think they haven’t tried??? You can’t just buy players, there’s a process, a protocol and laws to abide by. The other club we’re buying off has to be involved, the other player ffs has to agree to talk to you.

I’m not sure where this fashionable sentiment of “we should’ve just bought someone” has come from.

Tbh, I can't imagine that Ndiaye and Berge (especially Ndiaye) would have had an impact on that game today, given that most of our attacks were playing balls over the top. Our best chance (Osula 2nd half) came from Wes picking Traore out with a long ball.

I would say this is 60% the boards fault and 40% Hecky. Hecky wanted to sign Osborne, Norwood, Fleck and Bash. I think all of us knew seeing those three starting would be create absolutely nothing. Better off going with the kids - Harrison, Brooks and Arblaster imo. Or just toss Souza and Anis in.
Souza was never going to start with his lack of a preseason, apparently he's been training alone all summer.

Tbh, I can't imagine that Ndiaye and Berge (especially Ndiaye) would have had an impact on that game today, given that most of our attacks were playing balls over the top. Our best chance (Osula 2nd half) came from Wes picking Traore out with a long ball.
We could have had Haarland and Kane up front and they would have done f all. NO service , no chances. Midfield has been a problem since our last relagation year. Hopefully been addressed with Souza, Hamer, Slimane, maybe Doyle and A.N.Other

There is no webuyanyplayer.com, we can’t just decide to sell a player and he’s out the door the next day.

I suppose we could drop our asking price, but I’m not sure that’s a very good idea to miss out on millions in transfer fee so we can get rid of a player quicker.

People do talk as if we should have just put Sander Berge on eBay for a tenner in June to get him sold fast.

We could have had Haarland and Kane up front and they would have done f all. NO service , no chances. Midfield has been a problem since our last relagation year. Hopefully been addressed with Souza, Hamer, Slimane, maybe Doyle and A.N.Other
Good thing is, we know now that we've got some reinforcements in midfield, obviously hard to judge Slimane and Souza after that 10-15 minute cameo, same with Larouci.

But, with 5/6 days before we play Forest on Friday hopefully we can get them along with Hamer up to speed and capable into stepping into that midfield for the Forest game.

Obviously we could do with more in midfield but those three as a midfield trio could work, not to mention Hamer has already had a proper preseason with Coventry so should be up to speed, fitness wise.

On 13th March 2021 Chris Wilder left Sheffield United and the search for a new manager began. Slavisa Jokanovic was appointed manager on 27th May. A terrible pre-season then occurred where the Blades only played two matches and signed no new players. It was only when Jokanovic slated the board and owners in the media during the last week of the transfer window for going against their word in backing him, that we then brought in some players on loan, having only brought in Ben Davies on loan prior to this. He also demanded that the board sorted out Ndiaye's contract as they had frozen him out of the club and wouldn't let him play until he signed a contract.

The following summer we made one permanent signing in Anel Ahmedhodzic and the remaining players that summer were all brought in on loan. An embargo occurred in January due to poor financial management causing a collapse in contract talks resulting in this summers sales of Ndiaye and Berge. Arguably Ndiaye would've left anyway due it being Marseille, but we would have received a substantially higher bid. Another costly error.

This summer they took far too long to bring in players with Traore, Slimane, Souza linked for weeks before being unveiled. We were told that deals can take weeks or months from start to finish. All of a sudden with Ndiaye and Berge sold transfers seem to speed up and happen really quickly, pondering the question, do they really take that long or were the board stalling and delaying? Gustavo Hamer was clearly never a target that we were in talks to sign until we sold those two, as we didn't have the money to buy him, but the transfer appeared out of the blue and completed in relatively quick time after we sold Ndiaye.

100% the board cost us points today due to their continual amateur approach to running a football club, and continual making of costly mistakes that have a huge impact on Hecky and the team. If I was as bad at my job as they are at theirs I'd be sacked. Sadly they get paid probably 2-3 times my salary to be this bad at their jobs, but it's okay because HRH will come out and admit that mistakes have been made, but they're clearly not learning from them as they keep making more of them.

Every other team seem to get players in and put them into their starting line ups except us. The scary thing is that Hecky says some of the new signings aren't ready as they haven't had a pre-season then only gives them 20 minutes. With that pitiful amount of time will we ever see them before the woeful midfield three of Basham, Norwood and Osborn cause too much damage? Thank God at least one of them will be replaced with Hamer against Forest, though I'd rather see all three out of the line up. We need to look forwards not back, and stop relying on the old guard.

I feel for Hecky, I really do, as he's employed by a bunch of incompetent chimps who make costly error after error after error, which have terrible impacts on him. I'm amazed he's stayed as professional as he has in pre-season as he'd have been well within his wrath to come out and slate them in the media. What are they going to do, sack him for telling the truth? Accuse him of bringing the clubs reputation into disrepute, when that's what they do with their muppet show running of this club?

I get that the Prince is trying to sell as he doesn't have the money to prop us up, so he's trying to run us on the money we do have in the interim, as painful as that may seem, but he needs to employ some football people on the board, as the current people running the club are next to useless.

That starting line up today was an embarrassment and I've have been angry if it had started in the Championship, let alone a Premier League match.

Last edited:
On 13th March 2021 Chris Wilder left Sheffield United and the search for a new manager began. Slavisa Jokanovic was appointed manager on 27th May. A terrible pre-season then occurred where the Blades only played two matches and signed no new players. It was only when Jokanovic slated the board and owners in the media during the last week of the transfer window for going against their word in backing him, that we then brought in some players on loan, having only brought in Ben Davies on loan prior to this. He also demanded that the board sorted out Ndiaye's contract as they had frozen him out of the club and wouldn't let him play until he signed a contract.

The following summer we made one permanent signing in Anel Ahmedhodzic and the remaining players that summer were all brought in on loan. An embargo occurred in January due to poor financial management causing a collapse in contract talks resulting in this summers sales of Ndiaye and Berge. Arguably Ndiaye would've left anyway due it being Marseille, but we would have received a substantially higher bid. Another costly error.

This summer they took far too long to bring in players with Traore, Slimane, Souza linked for weeks before being unveiled. We were told that deals can take weeks or months from start to finish. All of a sudden with Ndiaye and Berge sold transfers seem to speed up and happen really quickly, pondering the question, do they really take that long or were the board stalling and delaying? Gustavo Hamer was clearly never a target that we were in talks to sign until we sold those two, as we didn't have the money to buy him, but the transfer appeared out of the blue and completed in relatively quick time after we sold Ndiaye.

100% the board cost us points today due to their continual amateur approach to running a football club, and continual making of costly mistakes that have a huge impact on Hecky and the team. If I was as bad at my job as they are at theirs I'd be sacked. Sadly they get paid probably 2-3 times my salary to be this bad at their jobs, but it's okay because HRH will come out and admit that mistakes have been made, but they're clearly not learning from them as they keep making more of them.

Every other team seem to get players in and put them into their starting line ups except us. The scary thing is that Hecky says some of the new signings aren't ready as they haven't had a pre-season then only gives them 20 minutes. With that pitiful amount of time will we ever see them before the woeful midfield three of Basham, Norwood and Osborn cause too much damage? Thank God at least one of them will be replaced with Hamer against Forest, though I'd rather see all three out of the line up. We need to look forwards not back, and stop relying on the old guard.

I feel for Hecky, I really do, as he's employed by a bunch of incompetent chimps who make costly error after error after error, which have terrible impacts on him. I'm amazed he's stayed as professional as he has in pre-season as he'd have been well within his wrath to come out and slate them in the media. What are they going to do, sack him for telling the truth? Accuse him of bringing the clubs reputation into disrepute, when that's what they do with their muppet show running of this club?

I get that the Prince is trying to sell as he doesn't have the money to prop us up, so he's trying to run us on the money we do have in the interim, as painful as that may seem, but he needs to employ some football people on the board, as the current people running the club are next to useless.

That starting line up today was an embarrassment and I've have been angry if it had started in the Championship, let alone a Premier League match.
“All of a sudden with Ndiaye and Berge sold transfers seem to speed up and happen really quickly, pondering the question, do they really take that long or were the board stalling and delaying?”

Surely you know about cash flow?

The Prince wants to stay on after he has sold the club, but there is a problem. People who are interested in buying the club may not want the prince to stay. I suspect that he won't sell if they don't want him to stay, delaying any sale.in other words, he is dictating who to sell to. He needs to sell the club asap and move on.

It’s one thing not getting signings over the line, but to cause an absolute clusterfuck of a situation by not getting alternatives/replacements ready for when you sell your 2 star players and leave us with probably barely even a championship level midfield and attack is an absolute disgrace.

They did well today in the way a league one team does well in a cup match with home advantage.

There are positives from the match but the 2007 relegation shows how big one point can be in the Prem.

Disgraceful, the board and recruitment teams needs to get its arse in gear because I’m still in utter disbelief this has happened.
What would you for Mr Millionaire.

Ok Reece I've read every one of your posts on this thread. Christ knows how have you only managed 800+ posts in 14 years before this but anyway pal we're right behind you.... so what's your plan? What do you want us 'dickheads' to do? Let's sort it once and for all eh? There's obviously no point in just ranting a raving Is there? Your call.

Well said sir

I sense frustration in your writing. Join the thousands. I hope we look back and remember when we had that team and we'll laugh as we sit in the top half of the Premier League, again

Ok Reece I've read every one of your posts on this thread. Christ knows how have you only managed 800+ posts in 14 years before this but anyway pal we're right behind you.... so what's your plan? What do you want us 'dickheads' to do? Let's sort it once and for all eh? There's obviously no point in just ranting a raving Is there? Your call.
‘Us’ dickheads??? I’m on about the board for Christ sake not the fans.

What do I want them to do? Think I might have mentioned it the other 10 ten times over the last week that I’ve said crazy things like ‘don’t sell your star players without replacements/alternative signings lined up and ready to go’

This is one of the aforementioned basics I’ve gone on about

It's a long season, to use everyone's favourite cliche, as Aston Villa showed last time.

We're shopping in a place where everyone else has more money, so our new players are going to have to come in later in the day.

We'll have to wait and see what happens but I can't be the only one who thinks we've probably traded signifcantly up by replacing Berge with Hamer? And that was done within a couple of days. I'm not sure how much more quickly you'd expect it?

As for trying to replace a forward player of Ndaiye's quality... it's an altogether different propostion attempting to replace any striker.

Relax a bit.
Interesting that Ndiaye and Berge have not had such a positive effect on results a their new clubs!

Even Souza, Trusty and Hamer will take time to adjust, and adapt to a new club. ………

Others like Slimane, Traore and Larouci could take even longer? Positive change will take time, we need to be patient.

I think Ndiaye would have improved us massively, Traore had 2 or 3 opportunities to run at their defence and chose not to. Ndiaye would have just gone and there’d have been an end product.

What do I want them to do? Think I might have mentioned it the other 10 ten times over the last week that I’ve said crazy things like ‘don’t sell your star players without replacements/alternative signings lined up and ready to go’
Berge joined Burnley on the 9th.
Hamer was done on the 11th.
If that's not "lined up and ready to go" can you please explain what is?

There can't and won't be a "replacement" for Ndiaye because he was that good. We'll need 2 or 3 players to give us what he offered.

Which board member chose to select the worst midfield ever seen in the Premier League when two of the new signings were sitting on the bench? Fine, they might not have been able to play but we conceded with them on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom