Gone Elsewhere Ainsley Maitland-Niles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He says he naturally sees himself as a winger. But Wenger says he is is great defensively as well.

I think he would be perfect as a wing back despite never really having much game time playing there.

Still young enough that he still has something to prove. Not yet in his way down but this next move is critical for him. I like his versatility

Geographically Luton would suit him, but apart from wages (obviously!), I wonder if this will come down to wear Luton and us want to play him.

Despite being a handy utility player, he’ll have a preferred position and will want first team football. He’d be a good addition to our first 11, but where would he play? Probably right midfield in a 3?

He would provide cover for Anel and George but I don’t think he’d be signed to displace them. If we were to lose Berge, that might change our urgency to try and bring AMN in.

Still young enough with plenty of room to improve. Wages might be an issue but I'd say gerrim'in!

Still young enough with plenty of room to improve. Wages might be an issue but I'd say gerrim'in!
Just read Benfica have dropped out cos his wage demands are too high.

If true, we can forget it.
Not sure about that, they have some big players on big wages, but Otamendi is only on about £40k a week, admittedly in the final years of his career. They have about 7 players who are paid above £35k, and I bet AMN doesn't fit the bill as one of their high earners, he'd probably get no more than £25k there, if that. Antonio Silva only earns £25k.

Obviously all the above is found on the internet and so there might be some inaccuracies, but it gives the general jist

Big Clubs in European leagues especially in non big 5 leagues arn't paying nearly as high wages as you'd suspect like Zaha rumoured to have took a paycut to go to Turkey from Palace

Just read Benfica have dropped out cos his wage demands are too high.

If true, we can forget it.
Lets say he wants £60K per week.

Give him a 12 months contract and that equates to £3.12m

There's a lot of footballer there for £3m

This is the very reason we're shopping in the basement, so we can offset the transfer fees to wages

Lets say he wants £60K per week.

Give him a 12 months contract and that equates to £3.12m

There's a lot of footballer there for £3m

This is the very reason we're shopping in the basement, so we can offset the transfer fees to wages
I agree but it's just if the rest of the squad then feels they deserve 60k a week. I get that's the pay modern footballers get but just how it rocks the boat isn't it. Glad it's not a problem I have to sort anyway. I would have happily given Ndiaye that though 😄

I agree but it's just if the rest of the squad then feels they deserve 60k a week. I get that's the pay modern footballers get but just how it rocks the boat isn't it. Glad it's not a problem I have to sort anyway. I would have happily given Ndiaye that though 😄
As I get told at work - "their salary is fuck all to do with you!" 🤣 🤣

Seriously though. He has over 100 Premier League appearances, ex-England International with European Football experience.
He has winners medals for FA Cup and Europa Conference League

The above suggests he deserve more money than a lot of the players in our squad.

I think So'ton paid around £35k week of his wages and Arsenal picked up the rest of the bill (I could be wrong). But if he will accept something similar at around £30k week, he could be a good pickup on the free transfer market and moulded into a RWB with his defensive capabilities rather than an out and out winger.

If we have any chance of staying up then surely we have to pay either a reasonable size transfer fee or if it's a free, a sizable wage, possibly both, I know we ain't rich but somewhere along the line we have to give it a reasonable go especially now we have , albeit sadly, a sizeable, in our current position money from the Illy sale.
'If' we had a budget of around £20 million a few weeks ago and now we have around £20 million for Illy surely we can go for it a bit more?

As I get told at work - "their salary is fuck all to do with you!" 🤣 🤣

Seriously though. He has over 100 Premier League appearances, ex-England International with European Football experience.
He has winners medals for FA Cup and Europa Conference League

The above suggests he deserve more money than a lot of the players in our squad.
Matt that exactly, this isn't a communist state where everyone gets paid the same salary. We have to get away from this idea that we can't pay better players more money, it's just life. Higher performers earn more than lower performers and if they don't they move somewhere where they do. Who thinks Osbourn and Fleck deserve as much as Anel and Berge?

If we have any chance of staying up then surely we have to pay either a reasonable size transfer fee or if it's a free, a sizable wage, possibly both, I know we ain't rich but somewhere along the line we have to give it a reasonable go especially now we have , albeit sadly, a sizeable, in our current position money from the Illy sale.
'If' we had a budget of around £20 million a few weeks ago and now we have around £20 million for Illy surely we can go for it a bit more?
The extra money will help us bring in more players,the wage structure won't change in my opinion.
More players who can give us something we lack is the main thing.
None of who we sign will be here strictly for the money as we haven't got it.
It's career progression we are offering at this stage a wealthy owner changers all that.
With live in hope Boxer !!

There’s not really any such thing as a free transfer anymore. Sure, you’re not paying a transfer fee…but you have to pay a signing on fee and wages. If we’re paying something like AMN wants in wages (£65k per wk) then over a 3 year contract it’ll cost us in excess of £10 million.

You could give him half of that in wages (so he’s not technically our highest paid player) but you’d have to pay at least the other half as a signing on fee.

Is he worth it it? Can we afford it?

Or will he go to Saudi where he’ll probably get twice or three times that?

Thought Sky Sports were reporting that we are leading the race? That's what Yorkshire Live said anyway.

Nixon speaks in riddles.

Q. News on Maitland Niles? - A. No interest that I know of
If it's between us, Luton, a few teams in Turkey and Saudi then I'd say we have a chance. Baring in mind that AMN will know that playing in Turkey isn't going to be as good as the PL, and in Saudi; well at 25 I'd be surprised if he goes there. I know Nevas did but he's not English so for AMN I'd say we have a reasonable chance for sure. Only thing that worries me is whether the unsuccessful relegation scrap with Southampton might put him off coming as he'll know that coming to United will be a scrap too. We've got more balls than Southampton saying that!

If it's between us, Luton, a few teams in Turkey and Saudi then I'd say we have a chance. Baring in mind that AMN will know that playing in Turkey isn't going to be as good as the PL, and in Saudi; well at 25 I'd be surprised if he goes there. I know Nevas did but he's not English so for AMN I'd say we have a reasonable chance for sure. Only thing that worries me is whether the unsuccessful relegation scrap with Southampton might put him off coming as he'll know that coming to United will be a scrap too. We've got more balls than Southampton saying that!
It’s a decent enough signing and an upgrade on the back ups we currently have. I won’t lose sleep if he goes elsewhere though.

Back
Top Bottom