Team for West Ham??

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like all Blades fans I am totally shocked and embarrassed by yesterday's performance and result. Changes must be made as there were warning signs in the previous games, however, it's not realistic to make wholsale changes as we just haven't got the personnel. Obviously Baldock (if fit) and McBurnie have to play. Here's the team I would field against the hammers:

GK. Wes (not good to ship 8 goals and confidence will have took a hit, but there were no obvious errors and he has been excellent so far this season)
RWB. Baldock/Bogle (If Furious isn't fit I just don't see any alternatives).
LWB. Thomas (again no real choice but in fairness he wasn't the worst of the defenders yesterday either)
RCH. Bash (Anel needs dropping - he has been our worst player this season, probably not helped by Egan's form either but there must be changes)
CH. Trusty (I've no idea whether he is any good or not, but if he doesn't play now then what was the point in spendinmg £5 million on him)
LCH. Robbo (amazingly he has been our best defender....shows how bad we have been in that area)
CM. Souza. (Like many on here I have not been impressed but there really doesn't appear to be many choices)
RM. Hamer. (awful yesterday but has some credit in the bank)
LM. McAtee (the least of our problems against the Geordies)
CF. McBurnie (No brainer)
CF Archer (awful yesterday but also has some credit in the bank)

Other options? Maybe play Slimane and drop Souza (with Hamer moving to centre-midfield)

I wouldn't be playing Davies as I thought he was just terrible when he came on.....at least Slimane looked like a footballer.
Not been impressed with Souza?? Yesterday aside for me he's been our best player this season...solid, gets stuck in, rarely gives the ball away, good defensively at corners, im a big fan of his. Hamer and any attacking player is hard to judge so far (bar McBurnie who was outstanding in the games he's played) as we never have the football so all they tend to do is run and block space.

McAtee not good enough then?
Seen it all now!
Who said that?

We need more strength and energy in CM, so i'd choose Slimane to start.
Rather than play 2 strikers, i'd like to see 2x energetic players behind McBurnie.

Hamer and Archer have shown most bite in front of goal for us so far this season, so I would go with Archer over McAtee.

I have also moved Anel into CB. Despite him having a terrible game yesterday, I thought he was fantastic as the central defender against Tottenham. I would feel easier dropping Egan over Anel.

Robinson hasn't done much wrong this season, but i've chosen Trusty over him. We paid £5m for him and we're losing lots of games. He needs to get into the team.

Hopefully i've explained my choices accordingly.

Here’s mine

Baldock - Anel - Trusty - Thomas
Sousa - norwood
McAtee - Hamer - Davies/slimani
Archer

Not been impressed with Souza?? Yesterday aside for me he's been our best player this season...solid, gets stuck in, rarely gives the ball away, good defensively at corners, im a big fan of his. Hamer and any attacking player is hard to judge so far (bar McBurnie who was outstanding in the games he's played) as we never have the football so all they tend to do is run and block space.
I agree how can we pass judgement on the forwards ?They were never given any service against the toon

Egan somehow needs a full reset. He's been an absolute rock over the past few years (albeit in championship), but he looks lost in everything he does this season! He's often out of position, doesn't pick up his marker, doesn't win any defensive headers, and it's a complete waste of time him going up for attacking corners since if he gets his head to the ball it flies into row z of kop! :(
It's just a huge shame that it's come to yesterday's result for the seemingly untouchable Egan to be publicly outed as not being good enough to play in the Premier League and that we haven't tried to strengthen in his position, only in the ones either side of him.

It's long been said on here that he turns like a tanker and is vulnerable to a ball over the top but until yesterday, had always been a bit less shit than some of the others so seemed to get a free pass, much like the last disastrous season at this level.

A result that is a huge wake up call for everyone involved at the club.

Like all Blades fans I am totally shocked and embarrassed by yesterday's performance and result. Changes must be made as there were warning signs in the previous games, however, it's not realistic to make wholsale changes as we just haven't got the personnel. Obviously Baldock (if fit) and McBurnie have to play. Here's the team I would field against the hammers:

GK. Wes (not good to ship 8 goals and confidence will have took a hit, but there were no obvious errors and he has been excellent so far this season)
RWB. Baldock/Bogle (If Furious isn't fit I just don't see any alternatives).
LWB. Thomas (again no real choice but in fairness he wasn't the worst of the defenders yesterday either)
RCH. Bash (Anel needs dropping - he has been our worst player this season, probably not helped by Egan's form either but there must be changes)
CH. Trusty (I've no idea whether he is any good or not, but if he doesn't play now then what was the point in spendinmg £5 million on him)
LCH. Robbo (amazingly he has been our best defender....shows how bad we have been in that area)
CM. Souza. (Like many on here I have not been impressed but there really doesn't appear to be many choices)
RM. Hamer. (awful yesterday but has some credit in the bank)
LM. McAtee (the least of our problems against the Geordies)
CF. McBurnie (No brainer)
CF Archer (awful yesterday but also has some credit in the bank)

Other options? Maybe play Slimane and drop Souza (with Hamer moving to centre-midfield)

I wouldn't be playing Davies as I thought he was just terrible when he came on.....at least Slimane looked like a footballer.
Strange how we all see games different, I and everyone around me thought Souza was our best player and Tom Davies played well when he cam on, but each to our own.
One thing for me is only drop Egan and Norwood, Basham is no longer a viable option, neither is Norwood, from the bench Slimani and Davies must be first choice midfielder substitutes.

Strange how we all see games different, I and everyone around me thought Souza was our best player and Tom Davies played well when he cam on, but each to our own.
One thing for me is only drop Egan and Norwood, Basham is no longer a viable option, neither is Norwood, from the bench Slimani and Davies must be first choice midfielder substitutes.
Fair comments Owd bugger, as you say, we all see things differently. Personally I thought Bash did as well as could be expected in the general mess that was happening around him, and you know that Bash will never stop trying........which wasn't the case with some of the others yesterday. Leaders are required for the next game.

Wes
Baldock Bash Anel JLT Thomas
Bogle Souza Hamer/McAtee
Archer McBurnie

Been worried that this season is one to far for Bash, but in the limited amount of times I’ve seen him, he‘s done OK and he’s got experience. Without the presence of Sharp at the club personalities like him and Baldock are important rather than relying on Norwood to run about pointing at lots of things or Egan who wasn’t great last time we were relegated.

Loved Robinson’s tackle yesterday, not so Trippier’s reaction. If only they had told us they were playing basketball rules in the first half.

On the brighter side at least I’ve not had to consider Oliver Burke this season.

Until we address the problem of conceding from crosses/set pieces no matter what formation we put out and how well we are playing we will ship goals. 75% conceded so far and little in the way of formation change to combat it. Whether we like it or not we have to go back to defending from the back and bring in players with a physical presence who can head the ball rather than wrestle opposition players.

We have to be better in the air at the back so for that reason Egan gets a reprieve from me but he has to seriously consider whether he wants to burn himself out playing for ROI for 90 minutes every match as opposed to putting the interests of SUFC first. Height strength and physicality should be the requirements for getting a place in the next few weeks. Everything every team has had who we've played so far.

Egan can't play in the central role anymore he's too slow. For that reason I'd move him to RCB with Anel, his best position, in the middle. Trusty has to come in at LCB. We have to see if he is up to the task and he provides much needed aerial ability. The wing backs are going to have to concentrate on defending. Bogle is woeful at this as yesterday showed but the only other option is Bash with our best defender Baldock seemingly out for another 2 weeks going on what PH said. The time to try JLT at LWB/LB is now. He's a competitor and his long throws can be a bonus. It may not work but we won't know until we try it.

In the middle Slimane needs to start because of his physicality and potential to nick a goal. We need to stop Hamer being given a roaming role as he looks lost. Play him on the left with Souza in the middle and Slimane wide right. Slimane is capable of playing on the left but I seem to remember Hamer played on the left cutting in from the right for SISU FC. last season. I realise I'm advocating a flat 3 but needs must at the moment. Alternatively go with a 4 in midfield with McAtee wide left and one up front Mcb being the player. Hard on Archer but we have to get something from the next 2 games.

What is certain after yesterdays second half is we don't have the players for four at the back. They looked lost when the formation was changed.

My physical presence team capable of winning headers at the back in a 5-4-1/3-5-1-1 formation and stopping leaking goals is as follows;

Wes
Bogle/Bash Egan Anel Trusty JLT
Slimane Souza Hamer McAtee
Mcb

Hamer Souza Mcatee I keep seeing? Asking for a loss in the midfield battle already. Slimane or Davies need to be decent and keep fit.

Wes

Anel Trusty Robinson

Baldock? Souza Slimane Thomas

Hamer McAtee

McBurnie

Subs;
Davies
Bogle?
Larouci
Egan
Basham
Davies
Norwood
Archer
Traore

Until we address the problem of conceding from crosses/set pieces no matter what formation we put out and how well we are playing we will ship goals. 75% conceded so far and little in the way of formation change to combat it. Whether we like it or not we have to go back to defending from the back and bring in players with a physical presence who can head the ball rather than wrestle opposition players.

We have to be better in the air at the back so for that reason Egan gets a reprieve from me but he has to seriously consider whether he wants to burn himself out playing for ROI for 90 minutes every match as opposed to putting the interests of SUFC first. Height strength and physicality should be the requirements for getting a place in the next few weeks. Everything every team has had who we've played so far.

Egan can't play in the central role anymore he's too slow. For that reason I'd move him to RCB with Anel, his best position, in the middle. Trusty has to come in at LCB. We have to see if he is up to the task and he provides much needed aerial ability. The wing backs are going to have to concentrate on defending. Bogle is woeful at this as yesterday showed but the only other option is Bash with our best defender Baldock seemingly out for another 2 weeks going on what PH said. The time to try JLT at LWB/LB is now. He's a competitor and his long throws can be a bonus. It may not work but we won't know until we try it.

In the middle Slimane needs to start because of his physicality and potential to nick a goal. We need to stop Hamer being given a roaming role as he looks lost. Play him on the left with Souza in the middle and Slimane wide right. Slimane is capable of playing on the left but I seem to remember Hamer played on the left cutting in from the right for SISU FC. last season. I realise I'm advocating a flat 3 but needs must at the moment. Alternatively go with a 4 in midfield with McAtee wide left and one up front Mcb being the player. Hard on Archer but we have to get something from the next 2 games.

What is certain after yesterdays second half is we don't have the players for four at the back. They looked lost when the formation was changed.

My physical presence team capable of winning headers at the back in a 5-4-1/3-5-1-1 formation and stopping leaking goals is as follows;

Wes
Bogle/Bash Egan Anel Trusty JLT
Slimane Souza Hamer McAtee
Mcb
Love these conversations. It's all about opinions and no one is right or wrong. I like the Egan Anel swap. Anel looked great vs Spurs and Everton when played there. No more flying cb's means Egan could do that role especially if covered by Baldock.

Not so sure on the midfield. We definitely need to tighten up but we also need to try to score. 5 cb's and Vini only leaves 3 attacking players and invites constant pressure. JLT at lwb and Bash rwb is not mobile or quick enough. We've got 2 loan lwb and so far Thomas has looked by far the best. Bogle not great Saturday but no one was. His attacking threat still has to be considered and if no Baldock he plays.

Midfield is tricky to set up. For me has to be 3 from Vini, Hamer, Norwood and McAtee. For Saturday id say Norwood misses out. Vini sits in the middle and Hamer on right McAtee left but one always trying to support front 2 of Archer and Oli Mc.
Wes
Bogle Egan Anel Trusty Thomas
Vini
Hamer McAtee
Oli Mc Archer

Love these conversations. It's all about opinions and no one is right or wrong. I like the Egan Anel swap. Anel looked great vs Spurs and Everton when played there. No more flying cb's means Egan could do that role especially if covered by Baldock.

Not so sure on the midfield. We definitely need to tighten up but we also need to try to score. 5 cb's and Vini only leaves 3 attacking players and invites constant pressure. JLT at lwb and Bash rwb is not mobile or quick enough. We've got 2 loan lwb and so far Thomas has looked by far the best. Bogle not great Saturday but no one was. His attacking threat still has to be considered and if no Baldock he plays.

Midfield is tricky to set up. For me has to be 3 from Vini, Hamer, Norwood and McAtee. For Saturday id say Norwood misses out. Vini sits in the middle and Hamer on right McAtee left but one always trying to support front 2 of Archer and Oli Mc.
Wes
Bogle Egan Anel Trusty Thomas
Vini
Hamer McAtee
Oli Mc Archer
Bogle was dog shit yesterday, Baldock is still 10x the player.
Id drop Anel for Bash also.

Souza is poor

Early days but he is miles off it

When Bash played at Spurs we almost won
When Egan played yesterday we conceded 8 and he's the fuckin captain.

Bogle was dog shit yesterday, Baldock is still 10x the player.
Id drop Anel for Bash also.
Like I said all about opinions. Bogle was poor yesterday but the all were bar McAtee for 20 minutes.
Unfortunately these days your getting no more than a 6 from Bash, Anel could produce a 9 out of 10 that's why he plays for me.

Like I said all about opinions. Bogle was poor yesterday but the all were bar McAtee for 20 minutes.
Unfortunately these days your getting no more than a 6 from Bash, Anel could produce a 9 out of 10 that's why he plays for me.
For me Hecky needs to show that nobody is undroppable, Anel doesn't deserve the shirt after his performance, he needs to earn the shirt again for me, as does Egan, Robinson was the best of the 3, but his threat was nullified by the yellow card, for a perfectly good tackle.
Bogle hasn't been the same since his injury, he looks scared to get hurt again and holds off to much, he needs to learn hes not made of glass again, Baldock has to start for his defensive qualities.
Trusty deserves a chance, hes got experience and if he was good enough for Arsenal he must be ok.
Tom Davies also deserves a chance, another with prem experience, can't be worse than Norwood!
Traore should be in the U21s, fucking useless is too polite!

Were reliant on our injured players too, as our recruitment has been half arsed and for me, shows the prince doesn't give a fuck about the prem, just wants rid of the club, but is being greedy with his expectations.

Lots of work to do behind the scenes, first thing, sack the defensive coach, since he's arrived, hes ruined our greatest asset.

For me Hecky needs to show that nobody is undroppable, Anel doesn't deserve the shirt after his performance, he needs to earn the shirt again for me, as does Egan, Robinson was the best of the 3, but his threat was nullified by the yellow card, for a perfectly good tackle.
Bogle hasn't been the same since his injury, he looks scared to get hurt again and holds off to much, he needs to learn hes not made of glass again, Baldock has to start for his defensive qualities.
Trusty deserves a chance, hes got experience and if he was good enough for Arsenal he must be ok.
Tom Davies also deserves a chance, another with prem experience, can't be worse than Norwood!
Traore should be in the U21s, fucking useless is too polite!

Were reliant on our injured players too, as our recruitment has been half arsed and for me, shows the prince doesn't give a fuck about the prem, just wants rid of the club, but is being greedy with his expectations.

Lots of work to do behind the scenes, first thing, sack the defensive coach, since he's arrived, hes ruined our greatest asset.
Trusty wasn't good enough for arsenal, he barely played a game for them and they sold him

Did you actually watch Tom Davies when he came on!!? He looks miles away from starting, he got a couple of assists for Newcastle in the few minutes he was on and was letting players stroll by him, it would have been 12 nil if he'd played 90 mins

I don't think is an individual problem so it does not mean changing a few will work.. I think is an organisation problem. At the Palace game we were frantic at times at the back. Against Everton, we were very open when they countered. Yesterday our midfield was porous.

Egan and Anel were not on the same wavelength and neither were Souza, Norwood or Hamer.
There seems to be no communication and a complete lack of a system in how we are to play and what positions to be in. This needs to be sorted on the training field.

Back
Top Bottom