Player Suggestion Ismaila Cheik Coulibaly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s not the article quoted above that has caused upset, sorry for the confusion. Another article has been published on Thursday where bettis talks about the pyramide structure, using Beerschot as test case for own shirt production and other stuff like we are only there to serve his wishes. Not sure if that article has circulated here.

I totally get that your fans and the other owners of your club wouldn't appreciate the pyramid structure if that wasn't what was thought as the agreed model at your end. However, I would also say that if you have a chairman (the Prince) who owns 3/4 clubs and you're not the biggest of the 4 then it's likely that the top club which in this case would appear to be United (that would be my take with all due respect), that they are the most likely to beneficiary of the best players within the 4 club pyramid. If that was never the agreement then I would say it looks from the outside that, that could well have been the intention by the Prince. I seems from your perspective that, that wasn't the agreement. Maybe this won't end well, but I would have thought you'd get some decnt players on loan from us as a result or from the other teams owned by the Prince.

Looks like he’s scored a few this season, what sort of player is he? Him and Berge in midfield could be exciting

Exactly what I was thinking... not sure if you've seen the league table PurpleRain but our foray into the PL is due to expire this Summer. Knowing this club like I do, I don't envisage us being back for some time.
I think the plan will be to mount an immediate promotion assault like Norwich are doing. Keep the best players and buy some players that are too good for championship. Young players like Brewster and Ramsdale will have lessons learnt and will be better next season. At least that is my expectation. Coulibaly could probably do a job next season in the championship if needed but I trust the group will have enough funds to buy you a more experienced and proven championship midfielder like Swift rather than putting all hope on the shoulders of a 19 year old who is still learning.

Looks like he’s scored a few this season, what sort of player is he? Him and Berge in midfield could be exciting
Box to box type of midfielder, good close control and pops up regularly in the box to score. Most of them rather simple goals. His weak side is that he dwells on the ball too long in his own half and when losing the ball causes problems for his team mates. But only 19 years old. Surely one of the biggest talents in his age category.

I totally get that your fans and the other owners of your club wouldn't appreciate the pyramid structure if that wasn't what was thought as the agreed model at your end. However, I would also say that if you have a chairman (the Prince) who owns 3/4 clubs and you're not the biggest of the 4 then it's likely that the top club which in this case would appear to be United (that would be my take with all due respect), that they are the most likely to beneficiary of the best players within the 4 club pyramid. If that was never the agreement then I would say it looks from the outside that, that could well have been the intention by the Prince. I seems from your perspective that, that wasn't the agreement. Maybe this won't end well, but I would have thought you'd get some decnt players on loan from us as a result or from the other teams owned by the Prince.
I appreciate your comments. It’s also a lot about perception and how you present things. Referring to a pyramid is a disrespectful way of presenting it. Refer to it as a cooperation where we try to strengthen one another where possible and many fans will be in favor and not see an issue. Everyone knows that a PL club is bigger than any club in Belgium, no need in stressing the obvious.

I think the plan will be to mount an immediate promotion assault like Norwich are doing. Keep the best players and buy some players that are too good for championship. Young players like Brewster and Ramsdale will have lessons learnt and will be better next season. At least that is my expectation. Coulibaly could probably do a job next season in the championship if needed but I trust the group will have enough funds to buy you a more experienced and proven championship midfielder like Swift rather than putting all hope on the shoulders of a 19 year old who is still learning.

I think a lot are hoping for that.

But we've been unprecedentedly bad & I can see a pretty severe hangover on the horizon; some divisions in the squad, some confidence lost in the management team by both boardroom and playing staff.

Norwich treated promotion as a free hit. They spent next to nothing & only lost a couple of young defenders from their squad upon being relegated.
On the contrary, we rewarded our entire squad with PL contracts and spent vast sums on transfers.
We will need to bring in a whole new midfield and potentially replace Egan, O'Connell & Berge.

I give us very little hope of "doing a Norwich."
I don't think this project of the Prince's with you guys will last long. I see it unravelling in much the same way as McCabe's experiment did with Central Coast Mariners, Chengdu Blades & Ferencvaros.

If results aren't good next year, Wilder isn't being given funds and he walks (or is sacked) the fans will turn nasty very quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think this project of the Prince's with you guys will last long. I see it unravelling in much the same way as McCabe's experiment did with Central Coast Mariners, Chengdu Blades & Ferencvaros.
The Prince is not McCabe
McCabe used the foreign clubs to further his own business interests in property as well as trying to raise Uniteds profile abroad. The Prince from what I can see is in this for the football. He doesnt totally own Beerschot either

There seems to be more thought behind United World than with what McCabe did. His was just a fucking vanity project, and some half-arsed vision of Sheffield United being a global power in football. "Ere look, we're the only ones to have a club in China!"...yes, Kev. There's a reason for that.

The sticking point for me will be funding and how it's shared. The depth's of HRH's pockets are already being questioned with regards to being competitive in the top flight. Are they deep enough to stretch across four clubs, and possibly more? Is the aim to have a diverse portfolio of clubs to create an interesting prospect for other investors to be brought in?

I can't see the project unravelling in the same way as McCabe's just yet, but I think there are a lot of questions as to what United World really is and what it's aiming to be.

Indeed. This one last week puzzled me a little, though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55543415

Looking at his stature, age, levels played at etc, how did he get the eligible points to arrive here? Came off Charton's bench against Accrington the other day.

Indeed. This one last week puzzled me a little, though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55543415

Looking at his stature, age, levels played at etc, how did he get the eligible points to arrive here? Came off Charton's bench against Accrington the other day.
"Schwartz's transfer is subject to Home Office approval under the EU Settlement Scheme"

Guessing he's applied for leave to remain rather than temporary work status?

"Schwartz's transfer is subject to Home Office approval under the EU Settlement Scheme"

Guessing he's applied for leave to remain rather than temporary work status?

Think it'd have to be ILR if it's a 2 1/2 year contract, wouldn't it?

I'll ask the missus. Her area of expertise.

I'm not sure what agreement we have in place with the EU now tbh

If he was physically in the UK on the 31st December he automatically qualifies for the EU Settlement Scheme.

Plus, I'd suspect that the top scorer in the Danish league for a Champions League club would probably meet the points requirements

I appreciate your comments. It’s also a lot about perception and how you present things. Referring to a pyramid is a disrespectful way of presenting it. Refer to it as a cooperation where we try to strengthen one another where possible and many fans will be in favor and not see an issue. Everyone knows that a PL club is bigger than any club in Belgium, no need in stressing the obvious.
Sorry, I only refer to us as bigger because from your previous posts you seemed miffed that Beerschot was now a potentiaal feeder club to United, which I totally get if that wasn't the agreement, you would be miffed. I don't know if it was the agreement or the Prince's vision or not, but seems that we are looking to loan some of our players to Beerschot and they get experience there. If we ever started signing your better players then that may indicate that it is a feeder club situation, but, then again, if we give the proper value for whatever players that may be then maybe Beerschot will be fine with that, but we'll just have to see how it enfolds as a relationship. I wish you guys all th best and certainly take an interest in how you're doing. It seems a very interesting history that Beerschot has, similarlarities with AFC Wimbledon.

I think a lot are hoping for that.

But we've been unprecedentedly bad & I can see a pretty severe hangover on the horizon; some divisions in the squad, some confidence lost in the management team by both boardroom and playing staff.

Norwich treated promotion as a free hit. They spent next to nothing & only lost a couple of young defenders from their squad upon being relegated.
On the contrary, we rewarded our entire squad with PL contracts and spent vast sums on transfers.
We will need to bring in a whole new midfield and potentially replace Egan, O'Connell & Berge.

I give us very little hope of "doing a Norwich."

If results aren't good next year, Wilder isn't being given funds and he walks (or is sacked) the fans will turn nasty very quickly.
Norwich already had half their squad on Premier League contracts. Their wagebill in the promotion season was £40m (compared to ours which was in the region of £25m) so factor in the standard wage-rise-on-promotion clauses and I would expect thier wages last season to be comfortably more than ours. They were a car crash between 2015 and 2018 - they had a provision of more than £10m for "onorous contracts" and they've repeatedly impaired the value of their older signings.

They've done well though - they kept faith in the academy when they were relegated in 2015 and maintained its Cat1 classification even if it took a fan bond issue to fund it. That's definitely paid off although it probably helps that their catchment is anything but congested; the nearest Cat 1 to them is probably Leicester. To compare, as the crow flies Leicester is 100 miles from Norwich. Within 100 miles of Sheffield there are Cat 1 academies at Leeds, Derby, Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom, Wolves & Burnley - Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle are all within 110 miles. Now I appreciate that there's a lot more people in that 100 mile radius but it's still a stark comparison.

Norwich already had half their squad on Premier League contracts. Their wagebill in the promotion season was £40m (compared to ours which was in the region of £25m) so factor in the standard wage-rise-on-promotion clauses and I would expect thier wages last season to be comfortably more than ours. They were a car crash between 2015 and 2018 - they had a provision of more than £10m for "onorous contracts" and they've repeatedly impaired the value of their older signings.

They've done well though - they kept faith in the academy when they were relegated in 2015 and maintained its Cat1 classification even if it took a fan bond issue to fund it. That's definitely paid off although it probably helps that their catchment is anything but congested; the nearest Cat 1 to them is probably Leicester. To compare, as the crow flies Leicester is 100 miles from Norwich. Within 100 miles of Sheffield there are Cat 1 academies at Leeds, Derby, Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom, Wolves & Burnley - Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle are all within 110 miles. Now I appreciate that there's a lot more people in that 100 mile radius but it's still a stark comparison.
It’s a good point about congestion but out of the current crop only cantwell is what you’d call one of their own. Some like Godfrey even came from that congested area think they got him from York.

It’s a good point about congestion but out of the current crop only cantwell is what you’d call one of their own. Some like Godfrey even came from that congested area think they got him from York.
Good spot. Success begets success though and I'd expect them to have a few good years of bringing players through now they've got the reputation.

Norwich’s wage bill was always more than ours, it probably still is.
We didn’t offer all our squad new contracts and why are we going to be selling all our top players despite us not doing that under the Prince or Wilder especially when we’ve just turned down a quick buck from Milan.
Clearly our current position isn’t quite bad enough to prevent some of us exaggerating it further. Maybe some of us just love misery.

Things don’t have to be quite so extreme.

Last edited:
Good spot. Success begets success though and I'd expect them to have a few good years of bringing players through now they've got the reputation.
Definitely they’ve already brought in the next crop mumba from Sunderland and adshead from Rochdale.

I'm going to have a crack at this random Norwegian footballer recommendation lark.

My vote goes to: Jørgen Strand Larsen

• I've never seen him play. I find this adds to the exotic mystery of this particular recommendation.
  • Nice triple name, tailor made for terrace chants.
  • He plays for Sarpsborg. Deano managed them so that practically makes this kid a Blade already by literally no association.
  • 20 year old striker. 6 ft 4. That's how we like 'em.
  • AC Milan had him on loan one year in case he was good.
  • Finally, and most compelling of all, he has one arm bandaged. He's a Jostein Flo regen. Gerrimsigned.

View attachment 90087
1613211550642.png

His problem in Norway was that he didn't score enough and simply had too few efforts on goal. He's worked on that after his move to Holland and improved. I'd say it was a good spot by Ted Maul .

I'd say it was a good spot by Ted Maul .
Thanks Bergen. I will not rest until we sign every Norwegian that I have either sarcastically dismissed out of hand or plucked from obscurity as if I'm some kind of literal God.

My next tip is Noah Holm:

• Solid biblical name. 'ark at him.
  • Never seen him play
  • GET HIM SIGNED

Here's another, ladies and gentlemen, it's Martin Palumbo:

• very satisfying surname
  • Never seen him play
  • Born in BERGEN. Signing him would be a tribute to our very own Bergen Blade. I am certain that he would make the same positive and constructive contribution to our squad as Bergen Blade does to our forum.

I'm sure you will agree that both of these recommendations would be astute signings of the highest order.

BBC Gossip Section:

Sheffield United's Malian midfielder Ismaila Coulibaly, 20, has impressed on loan at Belgian side Beerschot and may be sold before he ever appears for the Blades. (Daily Mail)

and in the Daily Mail article referenced:

The Blades can recall Coulibaly from Beerschot ahead of next season – but face a fight to keep hold of him in the long run.

Very interesting if true... imo we NEED to recall this lad for next season, he is a position we are desperate for, plus what would we get for him atm? 5-6m? What would we get for him after a good season in the Championship - £20-30m??

BBC Gossip Section:

Sheffield United's Malian midfielder Ismaila Coulibaly, 20, has impressed on loan at Belgian side Beerschot and may be sold before he ever appears for the Blades. (Daily Mail)

The Blades can recall Coulibaly from Beerschot ahead of next season – but face a fight to keep hold of him in the long run.

Very interesting if true... imo we NEED to recall this lad for next season, he is a position we are desperate for, plus what would we get for him atm? 5-6m? What would we get for him after a good season in the Championship - £20-30m??

Of all the players that need to be shown the door at United, a talented lad who hasn't even put on a shirt for us isn't one of them.

Of all the players that need to be shown the door at United, a talented lad who hasn't even put on a shirt for us isn't one of them.
Completely agree, this is a perfect opportunity to blood him through into English footy with being in the Championship again. If he was a striker maybe we could justify him departing if we got silly money offered... but tie in the fact that he is a CM, a key position we will look to strengthen next season, and imo he is an indispensable asset

BBC Gossip Section:

Sell Berge and bring this lad in?

This lad isnt an international and therefore we will have issues with work permits.......
This has been covered quite a few times. Based on the current criteria he would easily make it, based purely on his domestic appearances.
It's only if this changes from Jan '21 that we have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom