The curious case of Ismaila Coulibaly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't be that great of a standard. Aren't they merging with the Dutch league.
That's been talked about for years, but is about as likely as the Scottish and English leagues merging. When it was talked about a few years back, I understand FIFA said they'd block it as it'd set a precedent where the Portuguese would want to merge with the Spanish, the Austrians with Germans etc etc. and totally screw up the current system.

That's been talked about for years, but is about as likely as the Scottish and English leagues merging. When it was talked about a few years back, I understand FIFA said they'd block it as it'd set a precedent where the Portuguese would want to merge with the Spanish, the Austrians with Germans etc etc. and totally screw up the current system.
The way it was being talked about I thought it was a done deal, just checked apparently a deal 'in principle' has been agreed, that was April this year

If the pyramid thing delivers players for our first XI it’s great. If it doesn’t, it’s just a draw / distraction of resource and manpower to the detriment of SUFC. Currently it’s the latter.

I’m sure it sounded like the dogs proverbials on YouTube interviews though. ;)

Non UK nationals need a Work Permit to work in the UK. Essentially, they always have. Just that the UK being in the EU made it "easier" for EU nationals.

Surely for a British club (i.e. us) in order to sign him (a non-national) in the first place he would've needed a UK work permit then?

I know he never stepped foot here and was loaned straight out to Beerschot but its a little weird if you can do that.

If the rumours were that a year ago that Milan and others were interested and supposedly wanting to pay 10 million + a year ago, then we may have wished we had sold him at the top of his value. Easy in hindsight but us going down and financially needing to claw funds back means this would have been a quicker solution.

He's probably worth no more now than we bought him for, in a side going into the Belgian 2nd Div.

He may be young but if he is struggling to stand out in a really bad league and team, then not sure he's going to come into a hard nosed Champiinship and make an impact?

It sounds like we will have no choice but to recall him or sell him at the end of the season though but 12 months on it seems his star has fallen off a cliff like many other contracted Blades.

Feel for the lad as he seems homesick and will have been crap for him with covid being away from home but saying some days he's had enough of Football at 20 is not someone that seems desperate to go on and be impactful at a high level. Maybe I'm being harsh or he has been misquoted but seems a concerning quote?

We have a habit of young players joining the Blades World and their value not going the right way. Currently not sure anyone would give us more than a few million a piece for McBurnie or Brewster sadly. We'd struggle to give Burke away. That's effectively 50 million thrown away as it stands.

Berge we might make our cash back but clubs will know we are desperate to recoup our money in January.

I'm not convinced this lad is going to be the world beater some envisaged. If he is that good surely we'd bring him back due to the current midfield deficiencies? Maybe the club feel he is short of this level. After all Berge starred at the top of the Belgian League and does not stand out consistently even at this level.

If the pyramid thing delivers players for our first XI it’s great. If it doesn’t, it’s just a draw / distraction of resource and manpower to the detriment of SUFC. Currently it’s the latter.

I am sure the tie in with Ferencvaros sounded equally as attractive or made to sound that way!

Got to know a guy at work, he did a few interviews with ex United players who had been sent over to Ferencvaros, his dad was born over there, told the story of the Ultras breaking into the dressing room and confronting, threatening some players after they had lost a game, made one or two young lads grow up very quickly

Surely for a British club (i.e. us) in order to sign him (a non-national) in the first place he would've needed a UK work permit then?

I know he never stepped foot here and was loaned straight out to Beerschot but its a little weird if you can do that.
We bought him knowing full well he didn't immediately qualify for a Work Permit. We bought him without a hope in hell he could play for us in the short term. We bought him because we thought we were being clever.
I'm sorry, but I think it is commonly accepted & understood that we bought him without a Work Permit.
Bluntly, football clubs can sign whoever they like, put them on a contract, pay them a wage, but in order to play, non UK nationals need a Work Permit

Man owns multiple businesses 🤷‍♂️

If the rumours were that a year ago that Milan and others were interested and supposedly wanting to pay 10 million + a year ago, then we may have wished we had sold him at the top of his value. Easy in hindsight but us going down and financially needing to claw funds back means this would have been a quicker solution.

He's probably worth no more now than we bought him for, in a side going into the Belgian 2nd Div.

He may be young but if he is struggling to stand out in a really bad league and team, then not sure he's going to come into a hard nosed Champiinship and make an impact?

It sounds like we will have no choice but to recall him or sell him at the end of the season though but 12 months on it seems his star has fallen off a cliff like many other contracted Blades.

Feel for the lad as he seems homesick and will have been crap for him with covid being away from home but saying some days he's had enough of Football at 20 is not someone that seems desperate to go on and be impactful at a high level. Maybe I'm being harsh or he has been misquoted but seems a concerning quote?

We have a habit of young players joining the Blades World and their value not going the right way. Currently not sure anyone would give us more than a few million a piece for McBurnie or Brewster sadly. We'd struggle to give Burke away. That's effectively 50 million thrown away as it stands.

Berge we might make our cash back but clubs will know we are desperate to recoup our money in January.

I'm not convinced this lad is going to be the world beater some envisaged. If he is that good surely we'd bring him back due to the current midfield deficiencies? Maybe the club feel he is short of this level. After all Berge starred at the top of the Belgian League and does not stand out consistently even at this level.
Very harsh I'd say. I inow I wouldn't have handled being away from home well at that age. And look at Moose. The fact he's got where he has shows pretty incredible mental strength.

And he's just not and never was our player (I know we 'bought' him).

Not sure the league matters as much as the player. Mahrez, Kante etc

I notice Purple Rain is taking a low profile. Thought he may be all over this thread. Where's he disappeared to?

I thought he was coming back this season to boss the midfield with Sander 😂

Got a feeling he's going to end up playing out his contract at Beerschot and leaving for nowt.

And to think we could have got around 8-10 mill for him at the beginning of the season.

I notice Purple Rain is taking a low profile. Thought he may be all over this thread. Where's he disappeared to?
Not disappeared. Just gutted with the way we are run as a club and all the rest becomes irrelevant if your club is in the wrong hands. You go through all the emotions as a fan of a club in a free fall. I stoped caring about individual players, every one of them has been embarrassing this season so they can all leave but the root of the rot is off course with the ownership, not with the players.
On a positive note, we won our first game yesterday, albeit in the cup. Saturday will be the team’s last chance to turn the season around against one of the weaker opponents in the league. If they don’t win that one then relegation is achieved end of October.

I empathise Purple. Just look at us over the last 18 months. Glad you're still around though.
I know, your situation is even worse with all the PL money you generated and that was wasted. There is no excuse for United not being a top 4 Championship side. And in our case with our fan base we should always be a top 10 side in Belgium. We are both underperforming compared to our status. The owner is hiding from his responsibility. You can have a bad run and some bad luck but what has happened at United and now here and to some extent also already at Chateauroux shows a clear pattern which is a nightmare for the fans involved.

Presume the rumour that we’re going to bring back the player we paid for is a nonsense?
If he doesn’t arrive this month injured or not then in all likelihood he never will

If he can't do better than that feeble sinkhole of a midfield last night then fucking leave him there

I’ll believe it when I see it lots has been said in the last about Coulibaly being on the next plane if the manager wanted him that’s clear not the case if the manager has to wait till the summer so we’ll see if this latest assertion as to what will happen with him holds true

The way things are going, he won't get a work permit.

The way things are going, he won't get a work permit.
That’s my concern as soon as it’s judged to be next season within the Belgium league system whatever arbitrary date that may be he loses a shed load of points and definitely wouldn’t get one.

That’s my concern as soon as it’s judged to be next season within the Belgium league system whatever arbitrary date that may be he loses a shed load of points and definitely wouldn’t get one.
They'll bring him back before he plays a game in the next season. Not even we'd be that stupid. We have an example of what happens if he plays one game next season with the winger we were after from Italy.

They'll bring him back before he plays a game in the next season. Not even we'd be that stupid. We have an example of what happens if he plays one game next season with the winger we were after from Italy.

The situation changes every week (if he isn't picked for matches) not just every season. I don't even think he's a regular starter for them at the moment so may not even be eligible for a permit ATM.

Back
Top Bottom