The curious case of Ismaila Coulibaly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Addison

Reaction score

The latest on IC reveals the player doesn't know what is happening. A 6 Foot box to box midfielder playing in a standard equivalent to the Championship. A position we are in desperate in need of reinforcing.

There has been little in the way of information about IC from the Club ever since we were told he'd been signed and sent on a 3 year loan to Beerschot. Covid may have initially hampered any official visit to Sheffield but we a now 18 months down the line and he's never set foot in BDTBL or the Academy. Never trained or met any of his team mates at Academy or first team level.

We don't know what length or type of contact he is on. We are told the likes of AC Milan last year were prepared to offer £10 million euros for him and that JVW commented the Club were not interested as they saw a player with the potential to increase his value.

Have the Club given him a new contact to protect their asset? How long is left on his contract? What are the terms of the loan agreement with Beerschot? Is it a rolling year on year loan? Can we recall him in January now that he has enough eligible work permit points to play over here? Are Beerschot paying any loan fee or are they getting IC for free? All questions you would expect to be put to the Club by the media.

If Beerschot get relegated there are only 2 options. Bring him to the club at the end of the season or sell him. If he kicks a ball for Beerschot in the second tier of Belgian football that will negate all the work permit points he has accumulated and kill his career over here.

At a time when we are struggling financially off the pitch and in midfield on the pitch this arrangement with one of our fellow United World clubs is increasingly open to question as there is no longer any visible benefit to SUFC.

The latest on IC reveals the player doesn't know what is happening. A 6 Foot box to box midfielder playing in a standard equivalent to the Championship. A position we are in desperate in need of reinforcing.

There has been little in the way of information about IC from the Club ever since we were told he'd been signed and sent on a 3 year loan to Beerschot. Covid may have initially hampered any official visit to Sheffield but we a now 18 months down the line and he's never set foot in BDTBL or the Academy. Never trained or met any of his team mates at Academy or first team level.

We don't know what length or type of contact he is on. We are told the likes of AC Milan last year were prepared to offer £10 million euros for him and that JVW commented the Club were not interested as they saw a player with the potential to increase his value.

Have the Club given him a new contact to protect their asset? How long is left on his contract? What are the terms of the loan agreement with Beerschot? Is it a rolling year on year loan? Can we recall him in January now that he has enough eligible work permit points to play over here? Are Beerschot paying any loan fee or are they getting IC for free? All questions you would expect to be put to the Club by the media.

If Beerschot get relegated there are only 2 options. Bring him to the club at the end of the season or sell him. If he kicks a ball for Beerschot in the second tier of Belgian football that will negate all the work permit points he has accumulated and kill his career over here.

At a time when we are struggling financially off the pitch and in midfield on the pitch this arrangement with one of our fellow United World clubs is increasingly open to question as there is no longer any visible benefit to SUFC.
Very interesting post and some excellent questions - do we though really need a box to box midfield player, who we already own and AC Milan bid (allegedly) 10 m euros for - in our team at the moment . Cant we just carry on with Fleck , Norwood and the loanees who seem to be adding so much value?

I am going to openly question whether Coulibaly has enough Work Permit points to allow him to be brought back to Utd. There is a lot of shit talked about what is actually quite a straightforward process.
You earn points over a rolling 12 month period.
One of the ways you earn points is minutes played.
And minutes played change every Matchday (obvs).
So Work Permit points can change every Matchday.
So, you can have enough Work Permit points last Saturday, but if you don't get picked, you might not have enough Work Permit points next Saturday. It's a dynamic, ever changing, calculation. You can have HAD (past tense) enough points some time ago, but not HAVE (current tense) enough points today. I think this is overlooked in some reports.
As an Under 21 player Coulibaly earned 5 points as soon as he made his Beerschot debut. But that was in October 2000, that's over 12 months ago, those have expired, he lost one third of the points he needs at a stroke three weeks ago.
He needs to make up those 5 points from somewhere else. And that will have to be from minutes played.

He needs to have played 40% of Beerschot's minutes in the last rolling 12 months.

Now, I'm not close to that data, maybe he has, but to me looking in from outside, I'm thinking "has he?"

(I'm no supporter of this rich man's plaything portfolio of clubs trying to be clever and bend some rules and traffic players. So, I'm "amused" when they fuck it all up because they're too busy high fiving each other rather than paying attention to the actual fucking detail)

I would say the belgian league is better than the champ club brugge drew against PSG and Beat RB Leipzig and there 2nd in the League

Couple of top Belgian clubs would stand up in the Prem. Two or three below that would compete in the Championship. The rest? EFL League 1 standard down to Vanarama standard. And look where Beerschot are. Think Chezzy vs Notts County for a lower end of the Belgian League scrap. If in doubt, watch 'em play....

I am going to openly question whether Coulibaly has enough Work Permit points to allow him to be brought back to Utd. There is a lot of shit talked about what is actually quite a straightforward process.
So, you can have enough Work Permit points last Saturday, but if you don't get picked, you might not have enough Work Permit points next Saturday. It's a dynamic, ever changing, calculation. You can have HAD (past tense) enough points some time ago, but not HAVE (current tense) enough points today. I think this is overlooked in some reports.
As an Under 21 player Coulibaly earned 5 points as soon as he made his Beerschot debut. But that was in October 2000, that's over 12 months ago, those have expired, he lost one third of the points he needs at a stroke three weeks ago.
He needs to make up those 5 points from somewhere else. And that will have to be from minutes played.

He needs to have played 40% of Beerschot's minutes in the last rolling 12 months.

Now, I'm not close to that data, maybe he has, but to me looking in from outside, I'm thinking "has he?"

(I'm no supporter of this rich man's plaything portfolio of clubs trying to be clever and bend some rules and traffic players. So, I'm "amused" when they fuck it all up because they're too busy high fiving each other rather than paying attention to the actual fucking detail)

He's played 11 out of 12 games this season for a total of 879 minutes of a possible 1080 available.

Last season he appeared in 22 out of 34 games, for a total of 1637 minutes out of a possible 3060.

I don't have the exact rolling stats for 12 months but based on him playing most of the minutes this season I'd imagine he's over 40% at present but would need to continue playing until we can feasibly bring him back in January to stay comfortably over the threshold.

I would say the belgian league is better than the champ club brugge drew against PSG and Beat RB Leipzig and there 2nd in the League
That’s like saying the Scottish Prem is better than the championship after Rangers had a good result in Europe, despite the fact Ross County at the other end would struggle against most teams in Graves Park.

He's played 11 out of 12 games this season for a total of 879 minutes of a possible 1080 available.

Last season he appeared in 22 out of 34 games, for a total of 1637 minutes out of a possible 3060.

I don't have the exact rolling stats for 12 months but based on him playing most of the minutes this season I'd imagine he's over 40% at present but would need to continue playing until we can feasibly bring him back in January to stay comfortably over the threshold.
Thank you so much for that. I had no real idea. But ignorantly assumed it was much less than that.

If he's our player (we are his parent club?) then points wise regarding immigration shouldn't matter should it? He's our own player but on loan to them so this shouldn't apply to Coulibaly, but if they do then that is silly and just makes no sense whatsoever why the rules would apply in this way?

Very interesting post and some excellent questions - do we though really need a box to box midfield player, who we already own and AC Milan bid (allegedly) 10 m euros for - in our team at the moment . Cant we just carry on with Fleck , Norwood and the loanees who seem to be adding so much value?

After an initial great start, his stats are now distinctly poor, in a distinctly poor league.

So could it just be that the Belgian league is shite, as evidenced by our other players from that league, that AC Milan didn't really offer that much whatever was said on Twatter, and those in the know have decided that our current lot are just better?

If he's our player (we are his parent club?) then points wise regarding immigration shouldn't matter should it? He's our own player but on loan to them so this shouldn't apply to Coulibaly, but if they do then that is silly and just makes no sense whatsoever why the rules would apply in this way?

Yes it does, though I don't know the ins and outs of it. Man U and Chelsea have a fairly long history of signing non-EU players and loaning them straight to Royal Antwerp & Vitesse Arnhem respectively until they met the previous work permit requirements.

Beerschot, seem to be in free fall, doing are very good impersonation of us last season, the question is, if we can (legally) bring home over in the Jan window, his 'stock' will have fallen playing with/for a relegated side, can't see them escaping relegation, Inter won't be back with an improved bid, if they are interested it will be at a much lower figure with Beerschot in a lower tier.
So merely from a financial point, bring him over, if he is good enough for a place in the squad then fine, if not he has 6 months with the squad and Slav has a closer look re stick/twist next summer.
The other positive, he doesn't have the nightmare or losing week in week out issues that he currently has

2000 you say. I challenge your 12 months and raise you 21 years. His dribbling skills at birth have clearly been seen as major positive, but surely the Belgium league can't be up to much if a newborn is making his debut 😍😎🤣😊😭

I don't believe there was ever any intention that he would come here. My bet is the plan is to sell for a profit, Unitedget to keep the money originally put in and the rest going to the ongoing costs of United World

He definitely should come back to us in Jan, SJ can have a look at him. And if he can't make a first team appearance we could loan him out again, to a club were be may collect enough points to get a WP.

Yes, Inter are going to put in a £10m bid for him on the strength of his performances(?) for Beerschot. And Napoli are going to pay £50m for Berge on the strength of his performances(?) for us. And we are going to get a unicorn to breed with a mermaid to create a sort of horny fish horse midfield general. And Bayern will pay £50m..... nay £100m to us for him/her/it/they......

Sander Berge looked good in that league and was touted as the next big thing. He's big but that's about it...

Sander Berge looked good in that league and was touted as the next big thing. He's big but that's about it...
I was wondering if the Berge situation had any bearing,, tough in the PL, but even more so in the Championship tackles flying in, the numerous ' dark arts' being practiced and no VAR protection. Not seen enough of Coulibaly to have an idea if he would be up for the fight.

Can't remember the lads name,,the guy Arsenal bought from a Belgian side, Purple Rain mentioned Coulibaly ran rings round him last season,, looked way out of his depth in his first Arsenal appearance, but outstanding a few games later

Non UK nationals need a Work Permit to work in the UK. Essentially, they always have. Just that the UK being in the EU made it "easier" for EU nationals.

Yes, Inter are going to put in a £10m bid for him on the strength of his performances(?) for Beerschot. And Napoli are going to pay £50m for Berge on the strength of his performances(?) for us. And we are going to get a unicorn to breed with a mermaid to create a sort of horny fish horse midfield general. And Bayern will pay £50m..... nay £100m to us for him/her/it/they......
"tell them to pay the £35M, or do one".

That worked well for us. :)

He definitely should come back to us in Jan, SJ can have a look at him. And if he can't make a first team appearance we could loan him out again, to a club were be may collect enough points to get a WP.
It is very very difficult for players to earn enough Work Permit points if they are playing below the English Premier League, the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Portuguese Primeira Liga, Eredivisie, Belgian First Division A, Turkish Super Lig, the English Championship, Russian Premier League, Campeonato Brasileiro Série A, Primera División of Argentina, Liga MX and the Scottish Premiership.

In some of those leagues, players would still need 80% of minutes to qualify.

I was wondering if the Berge situation had any bearing,, tough in the PL, but even more so in the Championship tackles flying in, the numerous ' dark arts' being practiced and no VAR protection. Not seen enough of Coulibaly to have an idea if he would be up for the fight.

Can't remember the lads name,,the guy Arsenal bought from a Belgian side, Purple Rain mentioned Coulibaly ran rings round him last season,, looked way out of his depth in his first Arsenal appearance, but outstanding a few games later
Lokonga there’s more than a few decent young players plying their trade over in Belgium currently many of whom will go on to have champions league level careers. I agree with others who state that Coulibaly seem to have been a purely financial acquisition at no point during his time with beerschot have we acted like he’s our player not only has he never set foot in this country or at shirecliffe he’s also not joined the club for any preseason camps abroad. However like all big picture projects that United world conducts it looks like going down the swanny when beerschot get relegated.

Lokonga there’s more than a few decent young players plying their trade over in Belgium currently many of whom will go on to have champions league level careers. I agree with others who state that Coulibaly seem to have been a purely financial acquisition at no point during his time with beerschot have we acted like he’s our player not only has he never set foot in this country or at shirecliffe he’s also not joined the club for any preseason camps abroad. However like all big picture projects that United world conducts it looks like going down the swanny when beerschot get relegated.
It's difficult it's okay to argue its a pyramid and we are at the top, but if, and at this stage it's a big if, we bring him over and he is good enough, Beerschot supporters will think they have been short changed a bit, turning down a bid from Inter, relegation and 'jewel in the crown' gone for very little

It's difficult it's okay to argue its a pyramid and we are at the top, but if, and at this stage it's a big if, we bring him over and he is good enough, Beerschot supporters will think they have been short changed a bit, turning down a bid from Inter, relegation and 'jewel in the crown' gone for very little
Not really they’ve had him for the price of a loan fee for 18 months where had United not bought him he’d have gone elsewhere and they’d have not had him at all. It would probably be the final nail in their coffin but the lid looks pretty firmly closed now.

Oh yeah. Absolutely. It's Anti Football. The Indian team, United World changed their name, their kit & the town they play in. Anti Football.

Isn't it a bit like Scotland, Rangers, Celtic, and a bunch of pub teams?

Similar id say the quality is better though teams like anderlecht/club brugge / anderlecht / genk all get to the group stage of the CL reguarly

Back
Top Bottom