Besic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I thought his cameo was very impressive yesterday, and that tactical foul was a sight to behold.

If we can sign him permanently and the price is right we should go for it. He hasn't had many first team chances and has on occasion looked rusty but I do think that now he is up to speed with how we play, he will only get better and better.

What is interesting that with a squad full of characters like we have got, I definitely think a lunatic Bosnian fits in perfectly

A ‘tactical foul’ isn’t that though in the position that he made it. A tactical foul is on the halfway line. They nearly scored from two of the free kicks he gave away. Would you have been so pleased if they had?

Last edited:

Given the next two matches are Arsenal away and City at home, I'd say these are ideal for Besic to get in there.

There's something quite animalistic and aggressive about him yet calm that I think could unsettle Arsenal. He comes over a bit like Villanelle in interviews! Calm but would happily kill for the 3 points 😆

Let's also throw in a bit of praise for Lunny. It's a squad game and players lose form. But if someone offered you 19 very good level performances from Lunny, you'd snatch their arm off. So maybe it's time for him to get a bit of physical and mental rest for a few games and a refreshed Besic to see us through the rest of Jan. Not the end of the world or of JL7.

Likewise McGoldrick. He's had great support and it's far from the end for him. His performances remain far more important than his lack of goals. But he's also looked off this last 2 games. Not a crime to bench him, refresh himself a bit while McBurnie and Mousset give it a go. Again, who would have thought, especially when told of his lack of goals, that he could have had such an inspired first half of the season. In a somewhat symetric sort of way, something quite cool about Mousset and McBurnie starting a few games, vindicating Wilder's bigger money spends, while the old stagers Billy and Didzy come on to close out games.

It’s a team game so if the Gaffer changes it around then we go with it. For some reason our fans have favourites and players that they just don’t give credit even when they perform well.

JL has had his doubters and he’s done well. It’s a squad game and the tight knit group we have we can enhance as fans.

If Besic starts then fantastic let’s get behind him! I do like him he offers something different to JL so it all depends on what CW wants.

He doesn’t half remind me of Charlie Hartfield, Looks, posture and playing style.

You’d be happy for us to spend £8m on him? Everton only paid £4m and considering he seems surplus to requirements there I don’t think they could expect to even get their money back, never mind make a profit.

Exactly, £7/8m?

Too much Championship Manager.

If Everton aren’t willing to sell Besic for less than they bought him for, considering all aspects of the situation, then we shouldn’t be buying him.

Think back to Ryan Leonard’s transfers last year. We sign him for £700k. He plays initially, disappoints, and then finds himself restricted to occasional sub appearances. We sell him the same year for £1m. I’m surprised at the assumption we could get Besic on the cheap. We might if it’s a transfer nearer August, as having under 12 months on his contract may help. But in this window, I think any talk of £2.5m or similar is far off the mark.

If we want the squad to be a proper meritocracy, you’ve got to give the squad players hope that if someone is out of form there is a clear route through to the first team. If you play better in your “cameo” performances than the player you’ve replaced, that should be enough to earn the shirt.

If we want the squad to be a proper meritocracy, you’ve got to give the squad players hope that if someone is out of form there is a clear route through to the first team. If you play better in your “cameo” performances than the player you’ve replaced, that should be enough to earn the shirt.

agreed - wilder has presumably (given results) always played the in form players.

I do feel he is fairly loyal to the starting 11 however, and one or two average performances won’t get you dropped when he has faith. Besic certainly looks closest to competing and breaking into the side.

Wilder looked as angry as I was Friday with Lundstram’s poor pass to Baldock that wasted a chance to seal the game. He was subbed shortly after, and I’m fairly confident Besic will start Saturday.

I think Besic will start on Saturday, but it won’t be the direct swap with Lunny some people are predicting. Yes in terms of personnel, but it will mean the system changes slightly I think. We will play with 2 CDMs (Norwood and Besic) and Fleck just infront of them as a CAM drifting out left during attacks. It may bring out the best in Fleck. With Mcburnie and mousse up top, it would be a throwback to last year’s system.

Interesting that just as a few teams are starting to ‘work us out’ (I use that term loosely because I don’t think they are, they’re just becoming slightly more effective at setting up against us) wilder is here to tweak the system again and keep opponents guessing. Yes we have the famed overlapping centre backs but we also have loads of options now in terms of actually implementing that. Mousset, Mcburnie, fleck, Freeman, Lunny, sharp, mcgoldrick, 352, 3412 etc all pose slightly different threats and are going to make it really difficult for other teams to know how we are going to set up.

FWIW I think we could get Besic for about 3.5 million, all things considered.

I think Besic will start on Saturday, but it won’t be the direct swap with Lunny some people are predicting. Yes in terms of personnel, but it will mean the system changes slightly I think. We will play with 2 CDMs (Norwood and Besic) and Fleck just infront of them as a CAM drifting out left during attacks. It may bring out the best in Fleck. With Mcburnie and mousse up top, it would be a throwback to last year’s system.

Interesting that just as a few teams are starting to ‘work us out’ (I use that term loosely because I don’t think they are, they’re just becoming slightly more effective at setting up against us) wilder is here to tweak the system again and keep opponents guessing. Yes we have the famed overlapping centre backs but we also have loads of options now in terms of actually implementing that. Mousset, Mcburnie, fleck, Freeman, Lunny, sharp, mcgoldrick, 352, 3412 etc all pose slightly different threats and are going to make it really difficult for other teams to know how we are going to set up.

FWIW I think we could get Besic for about 3.5 million, all things considered.
To do what you state above would see Norwood paired with Besic in deep and Fleck in 'the Duffy role'.

Whilst I don't have an issue with this, Chris is extremely regimented about having a combination of right and left footers, even in the middle of the midfield.

If Fleck is out, you don't see Besic getting a sniff. It's Freeman. Because he's left footed.

If he decides to play Fleck in a no 10 role, then I'd maybe expect to see either Freeman or Osborn come in.

As it is, I'd expect to see a flat 3 if it is Fleck, Norwood and Besic.

He really reminds me of Trevor hockey 😊 I am slowly coming round to the idea that this squad and management team are the best we have had in my lifetime
Thought that he was like Trevor Hockey on Friday. Bent over as he goes in for a front on tackle, looking like he is ready to spring for the throat, the gonads or the ankles.......maybe, even the ball!

To do what you state above would see Norwood paired with Besic in deep and Fleck in 'the Duffy role'.

Whilst I don't have an issue with this, Chris is extremely regimented about having a combination of right and left footers, even in the middle of the midfield.

If Fleck is out, you don't see Besic getting a sniff. It's Freeman. Because he's left footed.

If he decides to play Fleck in a no 10 role, then I'd maybe expect to see either Freeman or Osborn come in.

As it is, I'd expect to see a flat 3 if it is Fleck, Norwood and Besic.

Do agree with the left foot/right foot balance thing you’ve mentioned there, I know he does that. Wouldn’t be surprised though to see him tweak the system a little and play Besic shielding the back four and having an almost ‘free role’ defensively and just destroying with fleck and Norwood sat infront, Norwood on the right of the two and fleck on the left. Would probably work against arsenal and City. Also, it would allow Norwood to get into his favourite position in that inside right position on the edge of the box for the cutback where he swings those famous right footed inswingers in.

He’s been on loan at Championship club last season and with us this season and hardly played. No one else wanted him in the summer apparently. Everton have moved on and I guess would be happy to get him off the books. Reckon we could get him for virtually nothing. After all we gave Stears to Huddersfield for nowt didn’t we?

Reckon we could get him for virtually nothing. After all we gave Stears to Huddersfield for nowt didn’t we?

Stearman is a 32 year old centre-back, who was third-choice for one specific position in the team. He has been nowhere near the matchday squad all season, and his contract was due to expire in the summer.

Besic is a 27 year old midfielder, who is second-choice certainly for one position in the XI and arguably two. He is a regular not only in our matchday squad but also for the Bosnian international team. We’ve indicated we value him highly enough to give him one of our two domestic loans for the season. His contract expires summer next year. We are not going to be getting him, if indeed we do get him, for “virtually nothing” this window.

Not sure if this has been widely shared previously, but just spotted this from Besic at Everton – it seems to be as revered by Everton fans as Lundstram’s classic on Grealish.

Apart from United scoring goals, this is why I watch football. The beauty of a ruthless, but legal tackle is one of football's dying arts, unfortunately 🙁

Agreed looked good again for the short time he was on the pitch. With Lundstram’s recent dip in form he can’t be far off getting a start.

Reading between the lines from what wilder says hes looking for another loan which means that either we will sign him or let him go, I think hes shown enough not to be shown the door

Back
Top Bottom