Silly Tackles From Silly People

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Worst tackle I saw on TV was by the now ex manager of Wycombe Wanderers Gary Ainsworth or something.He took Ian Knight of SWFC out just below the knee & in slow motion Knight was knocked in a "reverse" cart wheel with his ,broken leg waving about in the wind! The referee didn't even give a foul. The reason I mention an injury to one of our cousins in S6 is that he was transferred to a team that appeared at BDTBL the following season & came on as a sub. He got chased all over the pitch & hardly touched the ball. I think Stancliffe was the main chaser. The injury effectively ended Knights footballing career & imo the referee should never have officiated another match.
Gary Bennett of Chester.
I say that's the worst tackle I've ever seen.
I went with my younger brother(at that time, I was the only Blade in the family, both sides).
Horrific challenge, and you knew it was serious, straight away.

After Holgate's perilous journey to the centre of the kneecap yesterday I've been reminiscing about the tackles we've witnessed in years gone by that have made us look on in disbelief.

My personal favourite goes out to Jay McEveley. When he was here it seemed like a weekly occurrence that he made some sort of full blooded challenge that could go either way. His best effort has to be that fateful day against Coventry though.

View attachment 179506

So what other silly tackles have we seen over the years from silly people? Special mention has to go to the Battle of Bramall Lane. Robinson has also been prone to the odd crunching challenge in the past too (although none specifically spring to mind).
I love how the lino immediately puts his flag up...like anyone anywhere in Sheffield couldn't see how bad it was

The worst one was v Bradford on Easter Monday 1988. He had just come back from a suspension. Two footed waist high tackle in the centre circle against Karl Goddard in the 8th minute of the match. The ref had no option but to give him the red card. Wally's excuse was that he thought Karl was Mick Kennedy who he had battles with in the infamous Wimbledon v Portsmouth matches.
I remember Downes getting sent off at Leeds, for smashing Mark Aizlewood, on a day we lost heavily, and Strachan getting away with murder.

Hazy this but 92-93 probably, Charlie Hartfield in a reserve game at Bramall Lane against Liverpool I think, with them playing quite a few first teamers.

He put in a proper crunching tackle, quality, sent their player flying but won the ball, crowd getting behind him, he sprung to his feet again, smashed into another crunching tackle, absolute blinder clean as a whistle, crowd going mad- he leapt up, dived into a third tackle, mistimed it bloody awful, deserved a 20 match ban and got sent off. I still blame the crowd.

The worst one was v Bradford on Easter Monday 1988. He had just come back from a suspension. Two footed waist high tackle in the centre circle against Karl Goddard in the 8th minute of the match. The ref had no option but to give him the red card. Wally's excuse was that he thought Karl was Mick Kennedy who he had battles with in the infamous Wimbledon v Portsmouth matches.
If I remember rightly the United fans booed him.off the pitch. I also remember Paul Williams made some very poor challenges. That first Bassett team was one of the worst that I have seen.

One for the opposition - David Platt for Forest in 1999 - we had come back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 (Martyn Smith with both???) - and in the last minute Platt just lost it and went through one of our players at knee height.

I have a hazy recollection they were already down to 10 men.

Cant find any video of this game - which is a shame as I recall one of Smiths goals was a wonderful flicked finish.

As I recall, what happened was this: Kozluk had done his usual taking the ball around an attacker thing, in this case Nigel Quashie, who wiped Kozluk out. Devlin steamed in and twatted Quashie, who punched Devlin back. The officials had only seen Quashie retaliate so only he gets sent off. Forest then spent the rest of the game trying to kick the fuck out of Devlin, and when Devlin held the ball in the corner during injury time he presented Platt with an easy target. He went for him, as you say, at knee height.

For what it's worth I think Platt apologised in the dressing room afterwards.

Gary Bennett of Chester.
I say that's the worst tackle I've ever seen.
I went with my younger brother(at that time, I was the only Blade in the family, both sides).
Horrific challenge, and you knew it was serious, straight away.

I remember my Dad saying that this tackle was so bad, when Bennett next played at Bramall Lane he got booed.

I was mascot that day

Yep. Remember this match well. The relegation bound Blades put up an excellent performance against a Bradford side chasing promotion. Andy Barnsley trying to mark the beanpole Ian Ormondroyd lingers in my head.

The other memory I have form that game is Andy Barnsley scoring a ridiculous own goal.

I remember Downes getting sent off at Leeds, for smashing Mark Aizlewood, on a day we lost heavily, and Strachan getting away with murder.
Strachan was a Man U player at the time. He did of course referee our game at Leeds when we lost 4-0 2 seasons later.

Could have picked a number on Diego Maradona as he was routinely booted every game.

Which is why I think he's the greatest. Imagine him playing these days on carpet like pitches, with a load of protection, and god forbid if he played in a team with great players around him.

I reckon he'd even have us with a few more points on the board!

Anybody remember Keith Kettleborough !!!
I remember Keith Kettleborough as the teams hard man. He was nothing to look at i.e. he didn't have the imposing figure etc but cross him or any of his team mates & retribution was inevitable. Usually ruthless - I vaguely remember him breaking someone's leg & walking straight down the tunnel! Not waiting for the ref to "book" him.
Definitely non PC today but I reckon we could do with somebody of his ilk to sort out a few of our own players.
I think he was a milkman in Rotherham when his "minder" were over.

If I remember rightly the United fans booed him.off the pitch. I also remember Paul Williams made some very poor challenges. That first Bassett team was one of the worst that I have seen.
I remember either Paul Williams or Wally Downes (can`t remember which) making a "tackle" outside the Kop penalty area where his left boot made contact with the opponent`s hip, and his right boot got him in the belly. Didn`t get sent off as I remember.

Could have picked a number on Diego Maradona as he was routinely booted every game.

Which is why I think he's the greatest. Imagine him playing these days on carpet like pitches, with a load of protection, and god forbid if he played in a team with great players around him.

I reckon he'd even have us with a few more points on the board!

Back
Top Bottom