Silly Tackles From Silly People

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chief_Froley

Pigs gather, and now my watch begins.
Reaction score
After Holgate's perilous journey to the centre of the kneecap yesterday I've been reminiscing about the tackles we've witnessed in years gone by that have made us look on in disbelief.

My personal favourite goes out to Jay McEveley. When he was here it seemed like a weekly occurrence that he made some sort of full blooded challenge that could go either way. His best effort has to be that fateful day against Coventry though.

86d5c8adc3624d48b876d79ff9fe4471.gif

So what other silly tackles have we seen over the years from silly people? Special mention has to go to the Battle of Bramall Lane. Robinson has also been prone to the odd crunching challenge in the past too (although none specifically spring to mind).

After Holgate's perilous journey to the centre of the kneecap yesterday I've been reminiscing about the tackles we've witnessed in years gone by that have made us look on in disbelief.

My personal favourite goes out to Jay McEveley. When he was here it seemed like a weekly occurrence that he made some sort of full blooded challenge that could go either way. His best effort has to be that fateful day against Coventry though.

View attachment 179506

So what other silly tackles have we seen over the years from silly people? Special mention has to go to the Battle of Bramall Lane. Robinson has also been prone to the odd crunching challenge in the past too (although none specifically spring to mind).

Holgate's is a shit tackle.

Jay Mac should have got a 5 game ban for that tackle.

George Tanner tackle on Macatee last season at Bristol City.

We'd used all our subs and J-Mac ridiculously played on, hobbling at low speed around the Ashton Gate centre circle.

Vinnie Jones on Gary Stevens was a shocker.
Ben Thatcher on the long haired Pompey player who's name escapes me at present.
Roy Keane on Alfie Haaland.
Various John Fashanu elbows.

One for the opposition - David Platt for Forest in 1999 - we had come back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 (Martyn Smith with both???) - and in the last minute Platt just lost it and went through one of our players at knee height.

I have a hazy recollection they were already down to 10 men.

Cant find any video of this game - which is a shame as I recall one of Smiths goals was a wonderful flicked finish.

Madine against Brentford in the Championship Promotion season
Sharp against Southampton in the good PL season

First day of the Premier League when we beat Man Utd 2-1.

Somebody took Ryan Giggs out in the box with a shocker of a tackle at the Bramall Lane end.

No foul was even given.

😅😅

First day of the Premier League when we beat Man Utd 2-1.

Somebody took Ryan Giggs out in the box with a shocker of a tackle at the Bramall Lane end.

No foul was even given.

😅😅

I think it was Tracey actually who came rushing out and murdered him.

Which he always had a habit of doing.

Wally Downes entire career.
The worst one was v Bradford on Easter Monday 1988. He had just come back from a suspension. Two footed waist high tackle in the centre circle against Karl Goddard in the 8th minute of the match. The ref had no option but to give him the red card. Wally's excuse was that he thought Karl was Mick Kennedy who he had battles with in the infamous Wimbledon v Portsmouth matches.

The worst one was v Bradford on Easter Monday 1988. He had just come back from a suspension. Two footed waist high tackle in the centre circle against Karl Goddard in the 8th minute of the match. The ref had no option but to give him the red card. Wally's excuse was that he thought Karl was Mick Kennedy who he had battles with in the infamous Wimbledon v Portsmouth matches.
Yep. Remember this match well. The relegation bound Blades put up an excellent performance against a Bradford side chasing promotion. Andy Barnsley trying to mark the beanpole Ian Ormondroyd lingers in my head.

Worst tackle I saw on TV was by the now ex manager of Wycombe Wanderers Gary Ainsworth or something.He took Ian Knight of SWFC out just below the knee & in slow motion Knight was knocked in a "reverse" cart wheel with his ,broken leg waving about in the wind! The referee didn't even give a foul. The reason I mention an injury to one of our cousins in S6 is that he was transferred to a team that appeared at BDTBL the following season & came on as a sub. He got chased all over the pitch & hardly touched the ball. I think Stancliffe was the main chaser. The injury effectively ended Knights footballing career & imo the referee should never have officiated another match.

Think it was Carl Bradshaws, correct me if I’m wrong on Peter Ndlovu when he was playing for Coventry. Lovely let him know you’re thea early doors challenge!

Worst tackle I saw on TV was by the now ex manager of Wycombe Wanderers Gary Ainsworth or something.He took Ian Knight of SWFC out just below the knee & in slow motion Knight was knocked in a "reverse" cart wheel with his ,broken leg waving about in the wind! The referee didn't even give a foul. The reason I mention an injury to one of our cousins in S6 is that he was transferred to a team that appeared at BDTBL the following season & came on as a sub. He got chased all over the pitch & hardly touched the ball. I think Stancliffe was the main chaser. The injury effectively ended Knights footballing career & imo the referee should never have officiated another match.
I don`t know if you are too young, bacon in disguise, or taking the mick, but of all the Gareth Ainsworth tackles to mention the above (which wasn`t even by Ainsworth*) is not the one any on here would pick

*You are, a brief Wikipedia journey informs me, thinking of Gary Bennett

I don`t know if you are too young, bacon in disguise, or taking the mick, but of all the Gareth Ainsworth tackles to mention the above (which wasn`t even by Ainsworth*) is not the one any on here would pick

*You are, a brief Wikipedia journey informs me, thinking of Gary Bennett
Yes it was Gary Bennett

I was just going to mention him.
From what I remember there was one against someone, possibly Swindon, early in the game in front of the Kop that was terrible. Got sent off, obviously
It was Bradford as I have already explained above. Wally didn't play for us against Swindon

Back
Top Bottom