Stats that show where the improvements are coming from (they are there)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Carlton Blade

Reaction score
Number of tackles attempted in the mid and attacking 3rds -18 v Wolves, 20 v Brighton. Highest from any other game is 12. On 7 occasions United attempted less than 10 tackles outside the defensive 3rd. The last 2 games have seen the most attempted tackles total as well.

Shot creating actions against(The two actions directly leading to a shot, such as passes, take-ons and drawing fouls) . Average for the first 8 games - 39. Average for the last 4 games - 20.

Passes leading directly to a shot against. Average for the first 8 games - 18. Average for the last 4 games - 8

Attacking wise, not much other than winning the ball back earlier has changed. 2 of the 4 highest progressive receptions made (Completed passes towards goal at least 10 yards from its furthest point, or any completed pass into the penalty area) are from the last 2 games. The others are West Ham (our best attacking game of the season by a mile if you look at the numbers) and Newcastle where we did a lot of attacking in the first 30 mins.

In short, I think there's has been a noticable upping of the level of aggression and a realisation that sitting off and hoping the other team give us some goals isn't going to cut it. Additionally, defenders are getting closer to attacking players and making it harder for simple passes to lead to shots on goal.

Next step for me, figure out a way to attack when we don't win the ball high up the pitch.

What this says to me is that we're making an effort to play the game further away from our own goal, which can only be a good thing and the results have proven that, alongside the performance at home vs Man Utd which wasn't too bad.

The other thing it's telling me is (and some might not like this) is that a bit of Blackwell-like pragmatism of whacking it upfield, hitting channels and turning defences around might be what's needed for us to get down that end in the first place then worry about playing some decent football once we're down there.

McBurnie is key for this of course because he wins his fair share. Could also be useful for Traore - he's quick if nothing else and could draw some fouls.

What this says to me is that we're making an effort to play the game further away from our own goal, which can only be a good thing and the results have proven that, alongside the performance at home vs Man Utd which wasn't too bad.

The other thing it's telling me is (and some might not like this) is that a bit of Blackwell-like pragmatism of whacking it upfield, hitting channels and turning defences around might be what's needed for us to get down that end in the first place then worry about playing some decent football once we're down there.

McBurnie is key for this of course because he wins his fair share. Could also be useful for Traore - he's quick if nothing else and could draw some fouls.
One thing was clear v Arsenal and in previous games was that our “press” was so deep if it even existent. Newcastle and Arsenal in the second half in particular and v Man City before they scored we played so deep and stood off them. After Arsenal it was reluctantly why I wanted to see Hecky changed because I felt we weren’t competing

We may not have quality in an attacking sense to beat teams, but what we do have in this side is organisation, running and defensive capabilities as a team. Teams don’t survive in this league by sitting deep, you have to attack.

I agree that McBurnie is key. Getting and keeping him fit means that we have a player up top who can hold the ball longer, even if we don’t keep it, we can reset the shape.

Archer has grown a little in this role, but he’s better off a central man. Play him and McAtee or Hamer off McBurnie and we have some creativity from deeper.

I thought it the summer that when a few big lump strikers were going for lower fees to the championship that this could’ve been an area we exploited to use as back up for McBurnie. Hopefully he’s going to get back soon but we should also have an option from the bench anyway

Number of tackles attempted in the mid and attacking 3rds -18 v Wolves, 20 v Brighton. Highest from any other game is 12. On 7 occasions United attempted less than 10 tackles outside the defensive 3rd. The last 2 games have seen the most attempted tackles total as well.

Shot creating actions against(The two actions directly leading to a shot, such as passes, take-ons and drawing fouls) . Average for the first 8 games - 39. Average for the last 4 games - 20.

Passes leading directly to a shot against. Average for the first 8 games - 18. Average for the last 4 games - 8

Attacking wise, not much other than winning the ball back earlier has changed. 2 of the 4 highest progressive receptions made (Completed passes towards goal at least 10 yards from its furthest point, or any completed pass into the penalty area) are from the last 2 games. The others are West Ham (our best attacking game of the season by a mile if you look at the numbers) and Newcastle where we did a lot of attacking in the first 30 mins.

In short, I think there's has been a noticable upping of the level of aggression and a realisation that sitting off and hoping the other team give us some goals isn't going to cut it. Additionally, defenders are getting closer to attacking players and making it harder for simple passes to lead to shots on goal.

Next step for me, figure out a way to attack when we don't win the ball high up the pitch.
V Bournemouth

Tackles attempted in the attacking 3rd - 19
Opposition shot creating actions - 38
Passes leading directly to a shot - 18

Back to square one defensively

Back
Top Bottom