I didn't want him back

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like a lot on here I didn't want him back.
But in two games, he's given us our team back.
The team that doesn't lay down and die. I 'll take that for the rest of this season.
A team that gives its all. We weren't doing that under Hecky.
I still think we'll go back down. But at least we'll go down with a fight and not the whimper we showed over Hecky's last few games.
Let's hope this is not a new/old manager bounce. More of a glimmer of hope for the future.

it's the hope that kills you though.
It could very well be but like many have already said, it's just nice to be excited about watching United again without having to make space behind the sofa.

I think we had too much emotion with both managers, some of us pissed at Wilder and had some love for Hecky considering he picked up the pieces. It's difficult to send one packing and bring back the other. Perhaps Hecky was too nice? Some players knew they had their shirt because there was no other option so effort wasn't quite there whereby Wilder is often known to be the type of manager that tells the players they're only earning it for that game only, next match someone else could be in your position if you're not working hard enough. That was needed in that squad. How often was Ndiaye overlooked and look at the player he was for us, similar feeling to Brooksy, he got his chance and he's impressing in the two games he's got. He played a side footed volley in the box midway through the second half to I think Archer and it was sublime for a lad as inexperienced and young as him, weighted perfectly and accurate.

I suppose you're always going to leave the Lane in tears one way or another...

I wasn’t bothered about having him back but the difference is night and day from the previous dozen matches,there is a system in place,no hoofing from minute 1 from Wes,structure in the midfield,players looking more comfortable and confident,fluidity in and out of position,Anel looks interested,Brooks looks a player,has he learnt from not playing promising fearless youngsters ? Green shoots indeed and still none of the media etc mention we have a huge amount of players out every match,any other team and it’s a crisis. UTB

we are playing a similar system to villa under emery
its a 3-5-2 in possesion and a 4-4-2 out

its very fluid and at times its 4-2-3-1
I only watch sheffield united, apart from whoever they're playing each week. I'm no tactical genius.

It looks to me, as a tactical pleb, that wilder has simplified peoples roles, they look like they have been given straightforward instructions, and specific responsibilities.

Fucking love it.

A fight for survival now. An actual fight.

I was gutted when Wilder left. I felt he needed a break and advocated some type of 'leave' and then come back in the August in the Championship.

This time around I was against the appointment due to the conduct of the Prince. I felt that he was disrepectful to Hecky in the interview when he spent time praising Wilder.

There are still those fans who don't understand the financial significance of gaining promotion last season. There those that do who put it down to it being 'a poor Championship' or 'it was due to Ndiaye'.

Anyway, I'm delighted with the performances. Well done Chris.

(Prince - work on your leadership skills.)

How the league table looked on this date in 1990, when we did the great recovery. We are in a far better position now!
Wilder was part of that team, I believe.

He wants the fans to buy into it. Get the connection back...

So, despite my mixed feelings of his reappointment, I'm fucking in.

I was gutted when Wilder left. I felt he needed a break and advocated some type of 'leave' and then come back in the August in the Championship.

This time around I was against the appointment due to the conduct of the Prince. I felt that he was disrepectful to Hecky in the interview when he spent time praising Wilder.

There are still those fans who don't understand the financial significance of gaining promotion last season. There those that do who put it down to it being 'a poor Championship' or 'it was due to Ndiaye'.

I actually never mentioned that in my original post. I was all for giving him his season in the championship. That season was fucking weird with COVID etc and that's not excuse but he deserves his chance. I said that many times on here too but seemingly he wanted out and Hecky picked up those pieces ... Twice.

Unless his statement was bollocks I genuinely think Hecky understands. Perhaps he just can't quite give the passion and get the reaction out of a squad enough or perhaps it's simply that Wilder has love for the club. I'm adding Macca in there too, noticed when he scored he ran to the crowd smacking his badge. Yeah this club has gotten under many players skins and I'm glad he understands what being part of a club and wearing the badge means to the fans.

Losing 8-0 and 5-0 twice this season, absolutely embarrassed and struggled to watch matches. Wilder was the only man who could come in and give me a feeling we might stay up. Couldn’t give a shit what happened before, he’s a massive blade and he’s got this team putting in the effort. His stints at Boro and Watford didn’t stop me thinking he’s still a good manager and absolutely made for this club.

Yeah. One swallow and all that but so far I have to hold my hands up.

Far from supportive of Wilders return and whilst it's early days, the last two performances have surpassed what I thought was likely

More effort, organisation, and enthusiasm yeah but also better play and composure in certain areas

A few players are doing stuff I wasn't sure they were capable of but the increase in performance this week from last Saturday is almost meteoric.

Don't expect some of the less experienced younger players to have that composure and killer instinct in front of goal yet but with it this week could have been unbelievable.

Long may it continue.

I've said it on many an occasion this season.

I can cope with losing. I can't cope with surrendering. That's not what we do.

We surrendered under Hecky. We don't look like we could surrender now. I honestly think that Wilder is possibly the only man that we could appoint to instil that fight back into us. Can he take us that one stage further and establish us in the EPL? No. But that's not important now because the infrastructure is not there at the minute to support that. We just needed to make sure we weren't the laughing stock. Can he get us promoted after our inevitable relegation? Absolutely
Loving watching the Blades at the minute👊

Last edited:
But in truth if it had have been a good championship and we didn’t have Ndiaye we wouldn’t have won enough points = no promotion 🤷‍♂️
I've said this before. We need to be consistent with our points of view.

Hecky takes no credit for promotion because it was a poor Championship and we had Ndiaye.

And yet ....... Wilder takes no blame for relegation because there were no fans in the ground.

We don't play on a level playing pitch in the Premier league at least let's have one on here.

I was very much of the camp that we needed a change, any change.

To me Wilder always a like a gamble. Which were we going to get?

Wilder Mk1 - untouchable, god-like figure, fire in his belly, gets the club, connects the fans, best we’ve ever had.

Wilder Mk2 - bit of a dick and not very good.

2 games in granted (and it could all unravel), but Wilder Mk1 has turned up and he’s given us fans a very dangerous thing in belief.

We’ll probably still go down, but feels like we’ll put up a fight and punch above our weight, you can’t really ask for more than that.

Overall it is just lovely not to to be fed up on Saturday nights after another rancid interpretation of football.

Will fully admit I wasn't a fan of Wilders appointment, genuinely saw it as a step back and I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but 2 games in it's looking like I was wrong, I'm sure there's more out there.

Perhaps he wants to right the shit way he left the club? Prove a point to us or himself, god knows but he's put some fight in those lads and within 2 games he's managed a positive performance against Liverpool, 3 points and (I think) the first clean sheet?

Does it make me fucking sad that seeing us win today was slightly emotional? It was like being a few years back!
Same. Fair play

It's been mentioned that Wilder and the club thrive from an underdog mentality. Whilst this is true to a degree and particularly so in the Premier League, if we do go down then next season we will not be underdogs but rather expected to dominate and go for promotion.

The last time we were in a similar position in terms of our stature in the division was in League 1 in Wilder's first season, and we all know how that went. Contrary to the underdog title I think if he can manage it right, an energised Blades team going gung-ho back in the Championship could be a sight to behold.

Relax. Still a long way to go before he’s in the good books, short memories and all that. Anyone worth their salt knew we needed to change formation and drop certain players.
What I will say is there isn’t anyone out there we could have appointed better than Chris and Alan to instil some PASSION and know what is needed to put on that shirt.

UTB

Will fully admit I wasn't a fan of Wilders appointment, genuinely saw it as a step back and I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but 2 games in it's looking like I was wrong, I'm sure there's more out there.

Perhaps he wants to right the shit way he left the club? Prove a point to us or himself, god knows but he's put some fight in those lads and within 2 games he's managed a positive performance against Liverpool, 3 points and (I think) the first clean sheet?

Does it make me fucking sad that seeing us win today was slightly emotional? It was like being a few years back!
Takes a real personality to know when you get things wrong.

I understand what you meant today felt like he never had left.

I'm pretty certain Wilder has been waiting in the wings and taking notes on these players ready for when he got the nod to take over. He's playing players where they are comfortable and getting the best from them.
Completely this, how much of a difference in 2 games is remarkable, looking forward to MOTD for once, what a difference only a week makes!

Agree Walthy, wonder why Hecky couldn't reach the same conclusions? Main thing it looked like we had decent players for a change, who wanted to compete......more please. UTB!!! Oh, well done Wilder!
Hecky should have learned when he put McAtee and Doyle in with Norwood going to the bench. We were on a slide from a huge lead those two came in and we started to win again. We should not have given Norwood and Fleck extensions instead go after Doyle or another athletic midfielder.

I'm also in the "didn't want him back" camp. I didn't like how it ended last time, and I felt he had damaged his relationship with the club and fans enormously. I also thought (and still think) he fucked up enormously with the way he blew enormous sums of money on players that, for the most part, failed to deliver on their price tags. In that respect, is he somewhat responsible for the financial state we now find ourselves in? I don't know enough about football finance to answer that, but from a layman's perspective it's easy to say he is.

However.

What I have seen in the last 2 games is going some way to changing my opinion. I thought we were decent against Liverpool the other night. He changed the team, and we had a bit of a go against a team that let's face it, we were always expected to get hammered by. We didn't get hammered. In the end, we were ruing poor refereeing costing us a shot at a barely-deserved point.

Today, I saw a United team that looked like a team again. They ran, they fought, they battled. They threw bodies on the line when it counted, but also played some decent football. We're not world-beaters, and god knows we never will be, but we were deserved winners of a tough game in awful conditions. Wilder has given Brooks a proper chance, and he is grasping it with both hands. He brought on Slimane, who looked comfortable. We won the game with a moment of magic from McAtee, but it took a proper team performance to see it out.

There's a long, long way to go. We will almost certainly be relegated. But for the first time this season, that "almost" is tempered in my head with a tiny little bit of "yeah, but what IF?"

If he keeps us up this season, for me, it eclipses everything he did before. It would be a fucking miracle, and possibly the finest achievement of our club in the last 99 years.

I wanted him back , love the guy , just listened to his interview on shef pissing me sen , Chrissy 💖

He was brilliant, obviously as glad to be back as we are to have him.

His Praise and Grumble comedy slot was not to be missed.

30 mins in.

Not sad in the slightest, many feel the same. You've touched on an important factor - he's reflected on what happened last time around and is clearly driven and motivated by it.
A timid frightened team now brave and determined within a week!

Hecky did a brilliant job under circumstances but you’ve got to admit there was a number of performances last season where we looked poor. Ultimately individual quality would get us results a lot of the time.

I did want Chris Wilder to return, but more than that; this time last week it was evident that a change was needed.
Hecky was a great manager for United and when he looks back in years to come he will see that he served the club well.
But this season has been bad. I didn’t expect much, but we had some awful games and seemed at times to lose heart.
Football players are well paid and enjoy celebrity status, but they are sensitive creatures and they need confidence. Against Bournemouth and Burnley we watched a team incredibly low in confidence. Over the past seven days there has been a major boost in the players’ confidence. And that’s down to Chris Wilder. There’s a long way to go but we aren’t a push over any more and that’s a great thing after weeks of misery.
Well done Chris!!!

Back
Top Bottom