Would you want to play for Sheffield United?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
All is obviously not well at the club at the moment, and with so much being said little has been said about the perspective have prospective players may have of us.

I believe these issues are hindering recruitment.

- We do not pay PL wages. So no wonder 'gone to Villa/Fulham' is a thing.

- We have limited ambition. We 'think Burnley' rather than 'think Leicester'. Not particularly inspiring.

- Our training/medical facilities are relatively basic. (Wilder has rightly tried to address this point)

- We do not have a particularly well known coaching staff with pedigree in the top level of the game (with respect to those at the club):

- The players we have are not especially high profile in the game. Would you rather play with Grealish or Norwood? Any ones which are, are (rightly or wrongly understandably or not) sold at pretty much the first opportunity. The fact that big clubs do not see some of ones that are successful like Egan and JOC as worthy for going for would also be a concern. The fact that our relatively high profile signings in Berge and Brewster have not pulled up any trees will also be worrying.

- There does not appear to be a smooth relationship with the board and the manager.

- There is uncertainty with the board regarding the ongoing payments/dispute with Kevin McCabe.

- The sponsorship/commercial deals we have are not particularly high.

- The manager: Publicly calls out players for their mistakes and recently appears to create a culture of fear and harshness when things are not going well.
A significant portion of the fanbase are happy with this approach as 'he says it how it is'. There are other issues as well (not going into them here) though there is also uncertainty about whether the manager is here for the long term.

- The recruitment of other players is quite limited to the British Isles, showing us as being out of date with modern times.

Even small things like pre-season matches are utterly uninspiring. Inter Milan was a great friendly but the exception proves the rule, other sides do glamorous tours to Austria, USA etc. while we go to Matlock and Falkirk.

---

I understand that many of these things cannot be changed easily, but one of them can be and that's our 'vision' and that goes to what Wilder says in press conferences.

Recently he has talked about our model being 17th in the PL, who would want to be a part of that? I think he says that to cover for our shortcomings so I understand that though don't agree with it.

I think one word to sum things up: Uninspiring.

Currently, if I was a football agent I would not recommend my clients to look at Sheffield United and if I was a prospective player who would be good for the club I would be hesitant in coming here.

If SUFC can work on changing that the mentality and recruitment will flourish and we will be in a more positive place going forward.

UTB

Last edited:

Which is why we were probably able to sign Ramsdale. I don't know if we can really go for an Athletic Bilbao policy and be successful.

Yet Martinez, who is a better player and has done better this season goes to Villa.

Which is why we were probably able to sign Ramsdale. I don't know if we can really go for an Athletic Bilbao policy and be successful.

Yet Martinez, who is a better player and has done better this season goes to Villa.

I don't know about all that.

I thought it was a direct question aimed at me. I got up at 04:45 this morning to go and work in the freezing cold for minimum wage.

So I answered yes.

😉

I don't know about all that.

I thought it was a direct question aimed at me. I got up at 04:45 this morning to go and work in the freezing cold for minimum wage.

So I answered yes.

😉

To be fair nice to see some enthusiasm and you could not do far worse than Brewster, at least you would run about a bit to keep yourself warm!

Last edited:
You need to ask? I'd be there like shit off a shovel any Blades would love to pull on the kit and walk out on hallowed ground. But as Crab says I'm also old and more fucked than a factory lass.

I should have added that if you are English and do really well in the PL you are never going to be called up to play for the national team no matter what

(Keane and Ming's over JOC last year for example)

Jesus wept what is all this about talk about bed wetting of the highest order. Fuck me we have had a bad season mistakes have been made the club manager and board should get together get a plan of getting back up it’s as simple as that. Anyone would think we have got golden elephants to the entrance of the south stand.

Yes.

If I was a professional footballer with no strong loyalties, probably not at this moment in time.

No.
Our fans only support when we are winning. Anything else expect a severe slating, no matter the circumstances.

I would deffo turn the Blades down if we could only manage a pre season friendly in Dundee instead of a date at the San Siro

I knew we had a lot of injury problems, but I didn’t realise it was as bad as this?

Go on then, put me down but I must warn you I’m 30 years past my peak and I don't really fancy the lunchtime kick offs, bit early for me, if you could just make a note ( I don't want Wilder going off on one when I’m late) 😉

If I was a much praised footballer with my career heading upwards, I'd go to:
the team with the best chance of winning trophies
the team that offered the best wages
a manger that thought the sun shone out of my arse

That's not Sheffield United right now.

Also probably wouldn't want a manager who expected me to work that hard

Yes, yes, yes

I would sign for Sheffield United immediately. I'd get my last shot at a gravy train payday, and if I had crap games I'd just laugh at the kop and ignore their abuse. Take me off and I'll throw my shirt to the ground and walk on it, then take the piss out of the fans by setting fire to £50 notes just before going bankrupt.

All the best

Lee Hendrie

- We have limited ambition. We 'think Burnley' rather than 'think Leicester'. Not particularly inspiring.
There's a load of nonsense in your OP but I'll start with this one.

If you don't find five seasons in the Premier League on a relative shoestring to be particularly inspiring then you support the wrong club, frankly. We should be so lucky. I think you'll find, though, that the overwhelming majority of professional footballers would give almost anything to be at a club as successful as Burnley.

It makes no difference whether we "think Burnley" or "think Leicester." You can't wish yourself billions of pounds.

I deeply fantasise about it constantly,

to be regarded by everyone as the greatest striker to ever kick a ball,
to have Madrid/City/Barca/Chelsea/Juve all fighting over my signature,
to tell them all to get fucked, im staying here, in League one on £30 a week,
to score a last minute winner against wendy at Hillsborough with a two footed volley from 30 yards,
to celebrate by rodeo riding a massive Yorkshire pig back and forth across leppings lane,
to have women fancy meh coz im famous

Yes because it would be a darn sight better than signing for Leeds ! ;)

- The players we have are not especially high profile in the game. Would you rather play with Grealish or Norwood?

What you on about? Surely everyone* is lining up to play alongside the legendary Lord Lundstram

*by everyone I mean under 16s who have only ever played the fantasy version of football

Is thinking like Burnley necessarily a bad thing? They were up for a season went down, didn’t change anything and came straight back up the season after. They’ve been a permanent fixture for what 4 or 5 seasons now?

Also, look at Norwich. Bottom for most of last season and didn’t look anything. Again, didn’t change anything and look like they will come straight back up.

Of course it won’t be easy and relegation is rarely a good thing; but (and I caveat this by acknowledging that I’m not a Blades fan so don’t know the full ins and outs of it) it seems the clear way forward is to not panic, keep Wilder and come back up stronger.

There's a load of nonsense in your OP but I'll start with this one.

If you don't find five seasons in the Premier League on a relative shoestring to be particularly inspiring then you support the wrong club, frankly. We should be so lucky. I think you'll find, though, that the overwhelming majority of professional footballers would give almost anything to be at a club as successful as Burnley.

It makes no difference whether we "think Burnley" or "think Leicester." You can't wish yourself billions of pounds.

Leicester were clever with their recruitment and scouting.

They bought Vardy, Mahrez and Kante for half the price of McBurnie.

It makes an absolute difference in how clubs promote themselves with regards to recruiting players. Players who will make us better will not want to be like Burnley, they want to play in Europe and for their country and win cups. Until we get this small Sheffield mentality out of our head we will be stuck forever without this.

What has support got to do with anything? I want us to win things not just be happy with being also-rans.

What a stupid fucking question I'd give my left knacker to stick one in at the kop end

Leicester were clever with their recruitment and scouting.

They bought Vardy, Mahrez and Kante for half the price of McBurnie.

It makes an absolute difference in how clubs promote themselves with regards to recruiting players. Players who will make us better will not want to be like Burnley, they want to play in Europe and for their country and win cups. Until we get this small Sheffield mentality out of our head we will be stuck forever without this.

What has support got to do with anything? I want us to win things not just be happy with being also-rans.

If all you're saying is that we need to improve the recruitment model at the club then I think everyone will agree with you. But Leicester's wage bill is the best part of £80 million. They've just built a state of the art training facility. These aren't things that a club can do without billionaire owners. Saying we can get to that level just by "thinking like Leicester" is fantasy at best.

Your attitude toward Burnley is ridiculous and shows how little you understand football outside the top six. You do realize they were in Europe as recently as two years ago? There are about 20 or 30 clubs in the world better placed to attract players than them.

If all you're saying is that we need to improve the recruitment model at the club then I think everyone will agree with you. But Leicester's wage bill is the best part of £80 million. They've just built a state of the art training facility. These aren't things that a club can do without billionaire owners. Saying we can get to that level just by "thinking like Leicester" is fantasy at best.

Your attitude toward Burnley is ridiculous and shows how little you understand football outside the top six. You do realize they were in Europe as recently as two years ago? There are about 20 or 30 clubs in the world better placed to attract players than them.

Yes I have been saying for years that recruitment needs to improve, and of course I'm not alone in that regard.

Though when Kante, Vardy and Mahrez first joined Leicester I doubt they were on much more than Berge, McBurnie and Brewster?

I also think we need billionaire not millionaire owners. Controversially I have stated on here in the past that I wanted McCabe to win the court battle so we could be sold to a billionaire hopefully. The Prince is a great custodian but sadly he just doesn't have enough money.

To be clear I'm not sneering at Burnley, and as I have stated I would love a taste of Europe even if it's like what they had playing Aberdeen. It's just that I think we should market and promote ourselves a bit better rather than saying that that is what we are striving towards.

Back
Top Bottom