Would you want to play for Sheffield United?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All is obviously not well at the club at the moment, and with so much being said little has been said about the perspective have prospective players may have of us.

I believe these issues are hindering recruitment.

- We do not pay PL wages. So no wonder 'gone to Villa/Fulham' is a thing.

- We have limited ambition. We 'think Burnley' rather than 'think Leicester'. Not particularly inspiring.

- Our training/medical facilities are relatively basic. (Wilder has rightly tried to address this point)

- We do not have a particularly well known coaching staff with pedigree in the top level of the game (with respect to those at the club):

- The players we have are not especially high profile in the game. Would you rather play with Grealish or Norwood? Any ones which are, are (rightly or wrongly understandably or not) sold at pretty much the first opportunity. The fact that big clubs do not see some of ones that are successful like Egan and JOC as worthy for going for would also be a concern. The fact that our relatively high profile signings in Berge and Brewster have not pulled up any trees will also be worrying.

- There does not appear to be a smooth relationship with the board and the manager.

- There is uncertainty with the board regarding the ongoing payments/dispute with Kevin McCabe.

- The sponsorship/commercial deals we have are not particularly high.

- The manager: Publicly calls out players for their mistakes and recently appears to create a culture of fear and harshness when things are not going well.
A significant portion of the fanbase are happy with this approach as 'he says it how it is'. There are other issues as well (not going into them here) though there is also uncertainty about whether the manager is here for the long term.

- The recruitment of other players is quite limited to the British Isles, showing us as being out of date with modern times.

Even small things like pre-season matches are utterly uninspiring. Inter Milan was a great friendly but the exception proves the rule, other sides do glamorous tours to Austria, USA etc. while we go to Matlock and Falkirk.

---

I understand that many of these things cannot be changed easily, but one of them can be and that's our 'vision' and that goes to what Wilder says in press conferences.

Recently he has talked about our model being 17th in the PL, who would want to be a part of that? I think he says that to cover for our shortcomings so I understand that though don't agree with it.

I think one word to sum things up: Uninspiring.

Currently, if I was a football agent I would not recommend my clients to look at Sheffield United and if I was a prospective player who would be good for the club I would be hesitant in coming here.

If SUFC can work on changing that the mentality and recruitment will flourish and we will be in a more positive place going forward.

UTB
Hi Lunnys agent, how’s things

Yes I have been saying for years that recruitment needs to improve, and of course I'm not alone in that regard.

Though when Kante, Vardy and Mahrez first joined Leicester I doubt they were on much more than Berge, McBurnie and Brewster?

I also think we need billionaire not millionaire owners. Controversially I have stated on here in the past that I wanted McCabe to win the court battle so we could be sold to a billionaire hopefully. The Prince is a great custodian but sadly he just doesn't have enough money.

To be clear I'm not sneering at Burnley, and as I have stated I would love a taste of Europe even if it's like what they had playing Aberdeen. It's just that I think we should market and promote ourselves a bit better rather than saying that that is what we are striving towards.
It's just so lazy and obvious to point to Leicester. They are unique. They are the one example of a middling team who got bought by a billionaire and went on to challenge the big boys. They had a ridiculous run of success in the transfer market--many clubs have tried to emulate it and ended up with a lot of dross. When you hold up Leicester as the standard all you are doing is giving yourself an excuse to knock Sheffield United.

You're now claiming that you weren't sneering at Burnley although you literally said the sort of players who would go to Burnley aren't the sort that would improve us. Presumably that includes the like of Chris Wood, who scored 14 goals last season and is on probably twice as much as our highest earner, and England goalkeeper Nick Pope. This isn't "ambition" on your part--to me it looks very much like the sort of anti-northern arrogance that we've become so familiar with in the Premier League.

Burnley, by the way, have just been bought by the people to whom McCabe wanted to sell us. A hedge fund that has freighted the club with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt. Statistically that is a much likelier outcome than Leicester when you start desperately casting around for someone rich to play with your club. Not for me, thanks.

Hi Lunnys agent, how’s things

Interesting you say that, as before in the 'Confess your unpopular opinions thread' I said that Lundstram was correct in not signing a new deal. He saw this coming.

He will go to Villa/Fulham/Newcastle on 50k a week with a fat signing on bonus as a free transfer English HG player while we go down to the Championship.

It's just so lazy and obvious to point to Leicester. They are unique. They are the one example of a middling team who got bought by a billionaire and went on to challenge the big boys. They had a ridiculous run of success in the transfer market--many clubs have tried to emulate it and ended up with a lot of dross. When you hold up Leicester as the standard all you are doing is giving yourself an excuse to knock Sheffield United.

You're now claiming that you weren't sneering at Burnley although you literally said the sort of players who would go to Burnley aren't the sort that would improve us. Presumably that includes the like of Chris Wood, who scored 14 goals last season and is on probably twice as much as our highest earner, and England goalkeeper Nick Pope. This isn't "ambition" on your part--to me it looks very much like the sort of anti-northern arrogance that we've become so familiar with in the Premier League.

Burnley, by the way, have just been bought by the people to whom McCabe wanted to sell us. A hedge fund that has freighted the club with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt. Statistically that is a much likelier outcome than Leicester when you start desperately casting around for someone rich to play with your club. Not for me, thanks.

Firstly on Burnley's new owner I entirely agree that we appear to have dodged a bullet there, and have said this before.

Nick Pope was a real exception, think he was a Charlton reject that came out of nowhere? Wood was an established Championship striker that has made the step up so I'll give you that.

Leicester are the standard. Their city is no greater than ours and it annoys me to see them where they are. They were in League 1 in administration around a decade ago, (Southampton also and Crystal Palace nearly).

So I think we agree that we need better recruitment and more money. However imho I think there are things we can change in the meantime, mentality and ambition is a part of that.

I hate to think what pommpey would write about my silky skills (or lack of) if I ever turned out in the red and white stripes.

I think he would be fair and at least appreciate that you (and all of us) are giving 100% of what we have, which is more than some certain players are doing at the moment.

I'll only sign a contract if I can have £5k more per week than Lunny and Rodwell's workload.

I’d do it for free I tell thi.

I’d even throw in a guarantee that I will score as many as Brewster baby, if not more. In my first 20 games.

All I’d want is to be able to have my shirt.

Now where do I sign.........................

All is obviously not well at the club at the moment, and with so much being said little has been said about the perspective have prospective players may have of us.

I believe these issues are hindering recruitment.

- We do not pay PL wages. So no wonder 'gone to Villa/Fulham' is a thing.

- We have limited ambition. We 'think Burnley' rather than 'think Leicester'. Not particularly inspiring.

- Our training/medical facilities are relatively basic. (Wilder has rightly tried to address this point)

- We do not have a particularly well known coaching staff with pedigree in the top level of the game (with respect to those at the club):

- The players we have are not especially high profile in the game. Would you rather play with Grealish or Norwood? Any ones which are, are (rightly or wrongly understandably or not) sold at pretty much the first opportunity. The fact that big clubs do not see some of ones that are successful like Egan and JOC as worthy for going for would also be a concern. The fact that our relatively high profile signings in Berge and Brewster have not pulled up any trees will also be worrying.

- There does not appear to be a smooth relationship with the board and the manager.

- There is uncertainty with the board regarding the ongoing payments/dispute with Kevin McCabe.

- The sponsorship/commercial deals we have are not particularly high.

- The manager: Publicly calls out players for their mistakes and recently appears to create a culture of fear and harshness when things are not going well.
A significant portion of the fanbase are happy with this approach as 'he says it how it is'. There are other issues as well (not going into them here) though there is also uncertainty about whether the manager is here for the long term.

- The recruitment of other players is quite limited to the British Isles, showing us as being out of date with modern times.

Even small things like pre-season matches are utterly uninspiring. Inter Milan was a great friendly but the exception proves the rule, other sides do glamorous tours to Austria, USA etc. while we go to Matlock and Falkirk.

---

I understand that many of these things cannot be changed easily, but one of them can be and that's our 'vision' and that goes to what Wilder says in press conferences.

Recently he has talked about our model being 17th in the PL, who would want to be a part of that? I think he says that to cover for our shortcomings so I understand that though don't agree with it.

I think one word to sum things up: Uninspiring.

Currently, if I was a football agent I would not recommend my clients to look at Sheffield United and if I was a prospective player who would be good for the club I would be hesitant in coming here.

If SUFC can work on changing that the mentality and recruitment will flourish and we will be in a more positive place going forward.

UTB

That is quite a post mate.

Which is why we were probably able to sign Ramsdale. I don't know if we can really go for an Athletic Bilbao policy and be successful.

Yet Martinez, who is a better player and has done better this season goes to Villa.

Just sign players of Basque heritage? You do know Bilbao is full of foreigners, outside Wilders field of vision. I believe you may have mentioned it :)

I'd go to a championship club and earn more money

I also might be worth a few quid when it came to selling me to a Premier League club

Funny - this wasn't perceived to be a problem last season and nothing has changed to the points made since then.

Leicester were clever with their recruitment and scouting.

They bought Vardy, Mahrez and Kante for half the price of McBurnie.

It makes an absolute difference in how clubs promote themselves with regards to recruiting players. Players who will make us better will not want to be like Burnley, they want to play in Europe and for their country and win cups. Until we get this small Sheffield mentality out of our head we will be stuck forever without this.

What has support got to do with anything? I want us to win things not just be happy with being also-rans.
Leicester a owners are very rich. They made some astute signings, I'd definitely agree. But Vardy will be on 140k per week.

On the other hand, we finished valve Burnley last season. They spent about 1.5m in the summer. I don't see why we are so far behind them.

Definitely would

But I’d have to stay off this board. 1000 pager at least about why I keep getting picked.

If i was an agent for an up and coming pro footballer and Sheffield United were interested in me..

Probably not. The manager has just said he doesn't know if he will be here next season. We've just come off the worst run of results in our entire history. New signings have a hard time getting into the starting lineup..

I would advise against it at all costs to be honest

If i was an agent for an up and coming pro footballer and Sheffield United were interested in me..

Probably not. The manager has just said he doesn't know if he will be here next season. We've just come off the worst run of results in our entire history. New signings have a hard time getting into the starting lineup..

I would advise against it at all costs to be honest
How did anyone ever sign for us in league one? How do Sheffield Wednesday sign any players? Thing as got to be the most bat shit thread of recent times. It’s a ridiculous question aimed at people wanting to batter the club even more.

Leicester a owners are very rich. They made some astute signings, I'd definitely agree. But Vardy will be on 140k per week.

On the other hand, we finished valve Burnley last season. They spent about 1.5m in the summer. I don't see why we are so far behind them.

The point is when Vardy first joined Leicester he wasn't on 140k a week, same with Kante and Mahrez. They were probably on a similar wage to Berge and McBurnie, probably even less.

If there was another Kante/Mahrez out there we probably wouldn't know about them, and even if we did we would never sign them.

It annoys me that Leicester, who were in administration and in League 1 not long ago managed to get a billionaire owner when their city and club was no more glamorous than ours.

How did anyone ever sign for us in league one? How do Sheffield Wednesday sign any players? Thing as got to be the most bat shit thread of recent times. It’s a ridiculous question aimed at people wanting to batter the club even more.

Because Villa, Fulham etc. aren't in league one or the championship.

I don't think it's a choice I'll ever have to make unfortunately. I am still younger than Jags and probably fitter than Mousset though even with a crisp packet ankle and a glass back.

I think the question should have been phrased "If you were a decent footballer with a choice of signing for us or someone else at a similar level with better facilities and paying higher wages, who would you sign for?"

It's a bit of a rhetorical question but asking fans on a forum if they'd play for the Blades was never going to get a load of negative answers was it?!

If some of us played we would try a lot harder than some of our current players

Back
Top Bottom