McBurnie Drink Driving bust

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Please explain?

my understanding is that the law sets the “acceptable” limit of alcohol in the bloodstream at a level beyond which it is becomes likely that it may have an effect on impairing judgement.

So how does that "acceptable" limit change over time?

Are we getting weaker as humans in our ability to cope with alcohol intake?

Or is it just a nanny state making things stricter and stricter just because they can?

I don't drink by the way. So have no motive in this whatsoever. Just find it interesting as how this limit has changed.

Ahhhh so you're an insider then? Should have known given your sensitivity to criticism of away ticket giveaways....

While you're here then, why not shed some light on how far we cast the net before deciding to spend £20m on McBurnie?

Nope, not an insider in the slightest. My mate is an analyst there, and plays a big role in recruitment process of players. I have a good idea though of how much work goes into it, and the approach that they take.

No idea how far they cast the net, i've never asked and nor am I interested. But they'll have looked at dozens of potential players, as they always do.

Just pulling you up for chatting shit

Nope, not an insider in the slightest. My mate is an analyst there, and plays a big role in recruitment process of players. I have a good idea though of how much work goes into it, and the approach that they take.

No idea how far they cast the net, i've never asked and nor am I interested. But they'll have looked at dozens of potential players, as they always do.

Just pulling you up for chatting shit

So, as far as you are aware, do we scout players in europe?

We were looking at a couple of strikers in Holland and Belgium but nothing ever got particularly close, and we never bid for Sander Berge as was reported - we merely scouted him and his agent got wind of it and decided to issue a 'come and get me' plea using us as a measuring stick of the size of club he would apparently not be interested in.

That can't be right. We can't be looking at players from abroad because we haven't signed any. If we'd scouted players from outside the UK, they'd be here.

If the sentence above sounds like a daft one, that's because it is.

Dunno how thoroughly, or how far across Europe, but yes we do.

Honest question; as far as you know is that our staff going out looking, or the Prince's men suggesting names to us due to their links in Belgium, etc?

Honest question; as far as you know is that our staff going out looking, or the Prince's men suggesting names to us due to their links in Belgium, etc?
Not a clue I just asked the same question you asked when we were first linked with Sander Berge

Not a clue I just asked the same question you asked when we were first linked with Sander Berge

Didn't I see somewhere this summer that we'd started subscribing to some Europe-wide analytics package? I can't find the link now but it would suggest the new regime is interested in expanding our range a bit.

As far as I'm concerned that's his career done at Sheffield United. There is literally no excuse for drinking under influence. Everyone knows what the danger's of it are, and you can ALWAYS get a cab/uber or anything. You're a football player ffs.

Anyone who is successful at a young age, drives a flash car who is a bit brash and loud, is absolutely spot ball to be caught if they drink and drive. Because amongst their community will be people so jealous of their wealth and lifestyle, that many will jump at any opportunity to ‘bring them down to earth’.

I dare bet that West Yorkshire Police switchboard lit up like a Christmas Tree when soft lad left the pub. The same applies to ordinary people in their local, who habitually drink and drive. They need to be everyone’s friend, all of the time or they’ll soon see blue lights in their mirror.

But surely McBurnie, knows that, surely he’s been briefed about the consequences of his success? He just cannot behave as others in his peer group and get away with it. Not that ANY of them should of course, but FFS have half a brain Ollie 🥴

Just because you're over the limit legally doesn't mean you're under the influence of alcohol. Each person is different in how they handle alcohol and how much it will take for it to have an effect. Someone could have 5 pints and be completely fine to get behind the wheel whereas another person might not even be able to handle 1/2 pint.

The limit has been dropped over time. Won't be long until any alcohol is deemed of banning you from driving. Yet other infringements go unpunished.

Just another way to get the boxes ticked for the police.

Really?

Wait until you bury your loved ones because of a selfish arsehole then you might change your mind.

So how does that "acceptable" limit change over time?

Are we getting weaker as humans in our ability to cope with alcohol intake?

Or is it just a nanny state making things stricter and stricter just because they can?

I don't drink by the way. So have no motive in this whatsoever. Just find it interesting as how this limit has changed.

Fair comment.

I honestly don’t know how it changes over time, but I suspect that the tolerance levels will be lowered. This has happened in many fields of medicine for example, where levels of something, previously thought to be ok, are now regarded as dangerous. Take Blood Pressure for example. The level at which intervention is started now is much lower than before.

I do get where you’re coming from with the “nanny state” thing. As a young-minded “old-fart” in my early 60’s, this pisses me off no end. I hate all this nanny-state nonsense and I think a lot of it is driven, not by need, but by a fear of legislation. We are following the US and it’s pathetic!

But when it comes to alcohol the evidence is absolutely conclusive. Even a pint of beer can cause a slowing of reactions and impair judgement. That doesn’t mean a pint will make you drunk or over the limit. But a pint will most likely impair your judgment.

This is my point.

If, as a professional footballer, you are willing to risk that, then I don’t think you value your job enough tbh. And that’s what hurts me most about what McBurnie’s done. He’s shown disregard for our club by doing that. Whether he was 1mcg/ml or 100 mcg/ml IMO.

I don't know what bothers me most....

1/ Drink driving
or
2/ A (under performing) professional sportsman thinking it's acceptable to go out on the lash a couple of days before a big game.

A few years back certain Chris Porter came into my Pub for an event , refused a pint and stuck to coke as he said he never drank during the football season.
Top lad there.

Some people have been far too quick to write him off as a footballer. My view is he still has the ability to come good for us—we better fucking hope he does because any idea of us replacing him in January is fantasy.

But he needs to sort himself out and stop scoring these own goals. He needs to tell his mates in Swansea that he plays for us now and can’t be following them around. He needs to tell his mates in Leeds that he’s an elite athlete and can’t be acting a dickhead on nights out.

The easy thing to do is to squander his chance at the top level, stick to a small time mentality with the same group of mates, and drop back down a level where he knows he can perform. The harder thing to do is grow up a bit and meet the challenge.

Have a triple like

I don't know what bothers me most....

1/ Drink driving
or
2/ A (under performing) professional sportsman thinking it's acceptable to go out on the lash a couple of days before a big game.

A few years back certain Chris Porter came into my Pub for an event , refused a pint and stuck to coke as he said he never drank during the football season.
Top lad there.

but he played like he’d had a drink!😲

Some people have been far too quick to write him off as a footballer. My view is he still has the ability to come good for us—we better fucking hope he does because any idea of us replacing him in January is fantasy.

But he needs to sort himself out and stop scoring these own goals. He needs to tell his mates in Swansea that he plays for us now and can’t be following them around. He needs to tell his mates in Leeds that he’s an elite athlete and can’t be acting a dickhead on nights out.

The easy thing to do is to squander his chance at the top level, stick to a small time mentality with the same group of mates, and drop back down a level where he knows he can perform. The harder thing to do is grow up a bit and meet the challenge.
Agree with all of this apart from the middle paragraph. I don’t think he’s done anything counting to an own goal until this incident. Even the Scotland comment is probably something most players say about international football behind closed doors and he might not know he was on camera. Bit naive but nothing major.

This is something you wouldn’t and don’t want to sweep under the carpet though. Needs to be a wake up call.

Back
Top Bottom