McBurnie Drink Driving bust

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Name me some strikers that create their own chances, when totally isolated for most of the game.
Infact, scrap that, name me strikers that create their own chances, isolated or not. £20mil, £5mil, £50mil - choice is yours.
Mane, Kane, Salah, Lacazette, Porter.(goal machine), aguero. In fact name me one that doesn't look capable of creating a chance for themselves. It's your opinion, that's fair enough, but it appears that you won't accept any criticism of Mcburnie. Criticism that in my opinion is justified.

Agree with all of this apart from the middle paragraph. I don’t think he’s done anything counting to an own goal until this incident. Even the Scotland comment is probably something most players say about international football behind closed doors and he might not know he was on camera. Bit naive but nothing major.

This is something you wouldn’t and don’t want to sweep under the carpet though. Needs to be a wake up call.

We can agree to differ on the middle paragraph. In isolation each of these things are meaningless, but they're starting to add up a bit. And he should know that football supporters are a passionate and irrational breed and he needs to do some work to get our more excitable elements onside.

Mane, Kane, Salah, Lacazette, Porter.(goal machine), aguero. In fact name me one that doesn't look capable of creating a chance for themselves. It's your opinion, that's fair enough, but it appears that you won't accept any criticism of Mcburnie. Criticism that in my opinion is justified.
You’re comparing strikers with wingers? And strikers with absolutely crazy pace at that.

Show me a goal Kane or Aguero have created for themselves recently. Lacazette too for that matter.
But no, you’re right, Oli should be crossing the ball from the right, pausing time, and running into the box to meet the header and crash it into the far corner.

I will of course accept criticism of McBurnie, I’m not his mum, just not unfair or nonsense criticism. Which this is.

I don't know what bothers me most....

1/ Drink driving
or
2/ A (under performing) professional sportsman thinking it's acceptable to go out on the lash a couple of days before a big game.

A few years back certain Chris Porter came into my Pub for an event , refused a pint and stuck to coke as he said he never drank during the football season.
Top lad there.

It should be number 1

Can someone add a little clarification? Was the fee £17mil or £20mil?

If it's the former the addition of a few millions seems to cast an even darker shadow over this bit of human fragility.....I'm just happy that we never accepted the guillotine as a form of public disgrace.

Reading the posts there is a huge variance of opinion on the seriousness of drink driving

Often the view of seriousness depends on the context. For example I worked in the motor industry which for obvious reasons has strong views on serious driving offences such as careless, dangerous or drink driving to the extent it was written in my contract that if found guilty I would be sacked - with very few exceptions offenders were

I obviously don’t know the clubs view on drink driving or how they will react but I do wonder if the new Muslim owners will be much more concerned about ‘alcohol related crimes’ and as such expect a strong response from the club?

There's loads of people on this thread talking about drinking the morning after driving, and saying that's what McBurnie did.

Obviously I wasn't there, but the newspaper articles indicate he was pulled over in the early hours, having just left a Wetherspoons after a night out.

Sources told how McBurnie, who has scored one goal this season, was seen in The Podger pub in Garforth, West Yorks., on Thursday night.

One source added: "He left there and went on to the Wetherspoons nearby.

"After spending some time in the pub he left and was then pulled over by police officers who arrested him."

Again that isn't what I said, what I've done is make people look at themselves and how they may have broken the law before hammering drink drivers for doing the same. Do you have trouble reading?

I can read just fine, except when I'm drunk, or driving, but never both at the same time. Your post still comes across as saying people who accidentally drive whilst still over the limit the next morning can't complain about fuckwits like McBurnie who knowingly drive home from wherever they've been drinking when booking a taxi even long distance would be absolutely no expense compared to what they're earning.

It's like the nobheads who said we've all done what Ched did if we've ever had a drunken shag. No that's absolutely not comparable to him taking it upon himself to go and help himself to shag the drunk tart his mates just picked up

I can read just fine, except when I'm drunk, or driving, but never both at the same time. Your post still comes across as saying people who accidentally drive whilst still over the limit the next morning aren't any better than fuckwits like McBurnie who knowingly drive home from wherever they've been drinking when booking a taxi even long distance would be absolutely no expense compared to what they're earning.

It's like the nobheads who said we've all done what Ched did if we've ever had a drunken shag. No that's absolutely not comparable to him taking it upon himself to go and help himself to shag the drunk tart his mates just picked up
What are you on about?
All I’ve said is people need to look a bit closer to home before pointing the finger.

Being a £20 million signing for a club with relatively meager funds can have two effects. The player can shoulder the responsibility and look to pay back the faith shown in him or he can think he is 'Billy big bollocks' and give it large. McBurnie's behaviour seems to be leaning more to the latter than the former

[

Absolute nonsense. Despite the only people being privy to the knowledge of who we're looking at being Chris and his team, you're adamant that we're only looking in the UK and Ireland purely based on the fact that we haven't signed anyone from elsewhere (barring the Dutch 'keeper). It's extremely flimsy.

Verrips is a point as well. Whilst he might only be a bit-part player, does his signing not suggest that we're doing exactly what you believe we aren't? Did we blindly take a punt, or did we have staff doing their homework on the lad?

I don't understand how the other poster pointing out that you don't have a clue about this suggests that they do, or that they have some insider knowledge of how we target players. The truth is that none of us do, barring maybe our seasonal friend Mr. Cadette.
I get the feeling Van Winkle will now take charge of European scouting since he is a director with good contacts

Some people have been far too quick to write him off as a footballer. My view is he still has the ability to come good for us—we better fucking hope he does because any idea of us replacing him in January is fantasy.

But he needs to sort himself out and stop scoring these own goals. He needs to tell his mates in Swansea that he plays for us now and can’t be following them around. He needs to tell his mates in Leeds that he’s an elite athlete and can’t be acting a dickhead on nights out.

The easy thing to do is to squander his chance at the top level, stick to a small time mentality with the same group of mates, and drop back down a level where he knows he can perform. The harder thing to do is grow up a bit and meet the challenge.

It might just be me but he has looked very good when given the right service theres not one striker who would have scored away at watford in the world

I now realise that absolute proof is required to back every comment made on a messageboard and luckily I've now realised I have it:

View attachment 62938

Hopefully this gives me a stay of execution.

Didn't you ask for proof in the post below?! Some hypocrisy on show here.

While you're here then, why not shed some light on how far we cast the net before deciding to spend £20m on McBurnie?

One way is ~238,855 miles. Average taxi price £1.60 per mile = £382,168, or £764,336 round trip.

A taxi to the moon and back is ridiculously/sickeningly affordable for him :oops:

Yes but he'd have to build a taxi capable of flying to the moon first

It might just be me but he has looked very good when given the right service theres not one striker who would have scored away at watford in the world

He's had a couple of flashes of looking quite good--thought he did well again Liverpool, too--and other spells (probably longer ones, in fairness) of not looking great. I think you're right that he hasn't been helped by playing in a team that's been quite cautious at times. I'm not saying the guy is above criticism, I'm saying it's far too early to be saying we should get rid, he's crap, etc etc.

Sobering information.

Until the early 80’s, the general consensus of opinion seemed to be that a good night‘s kip followed by a big breakfast would be enough to see off any amount of booze the following morning, so there must have been plenty driving about over the limit me included back in the day. Since then because I need to drive for my job, I’ve stuck to the rule that if I’m working the next day or have to be on the road AM, I just have one pint and when I am out on the pop, it’s either a nominated driver or a taxi. No exceptions.

What does surprise me is how many do still risk driving the following morning today when there’s much more information around about how long alcohol stays in the bloodstream. In any event, there’s no excuse for any right minded person going out on piss and getting straight into a car.
When I was working on the post I never had a drink in the evening if I was working the following morning.

You’re comparing strikers with wingers? And strikers with absolutely crazy pace at that.

Show me a goal Kane or Aguero have created for themselves recently. Lacazette too for that matter.
But no, you’re right, Oli should be crossing the ball from the right, pausing time, and running into the box to meet the header and crash it into the far corner.

I will of course accept criticism of McBurnie, I’m not his mum, just not unfair or nonsense criticism. Which this is.
Impressive argument . I expect him to be able to look like he can beat a man and get a shot away. No need to be facetious. If you accept criticism of Mcburnie, accept this. He doesn't look anywhere near a premier league centre forward.

Impressive argument . I expect him to be able to look like he can beat a man and get a shot away. No need to be facetious. If you accept criticism of Mcburnie, accept this. He doesn't look anywhere near a premier league centre forward.
Show me strikers creating their own chances

I wouldn't be so sure. I've been driving nearly 40 years and admittedly only been pulled over once, but there was nothing wrong with the car and I was driving pretty normally, the copper said he stopped me as I was doing 32 on a 30 stretch! I hadn't had a drink at all that night btw, and he said he knew that soon as I got out the car cos they can always smell it. Still got breathalysed though.

I guess my experience comes from the fact that I'm still quite young and used to finish work at around half 10 at night. Young lad driving around in a hatchback at that time, I would have thought I'd have been a prime target for a pull but never. I am almost certain though that I've been followed while they've done checks on me with the insurance and that, fortunately they pulled off further down the road after probably realising everything was above board.

Think I'm keeping my powder dry until the pics from #nightoutwithTommy come out.

Some people have been far too quick to write him off as a footballer. My view is he still has the ability to come good for us—we better fucking hope he does because any idea of us replacing him in January is fantasy.

But he needs to sort himself out and stop scoring these own goals. He needs to tell his mates in Swansea that he plays for us now and can’t be following them around. He needs to tell his mates in Leeds that he’s an elite athlete and can’t be acting a dickhead on nights out.

The easy thing to do is to squander his chance at the top level, stick to a small time mentality with the same group of mates, and drop back down a level where he knows he can perform. The harder thing to do is grow up a bit and meet the challenge.
The best post on this thread mate!

Back
Top Bottom