CONFIRMED Aaron Ramsdale leaves for Bournemouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are you sure the club didn't offer him a good contract recently?

I'm not, but if that's the straw you're going to try to clutch to in an attempt to defend this particular transfer, no doubt you will confirm this is what happened.

We may as well close the academy. Complete waste of time and money
Not a waste of time for those that work there or those who've become professional footballers after being there and all those who watch the games and take pleasure from the success these kids have.
Certainly not a waste of time when we get into the FA Youth Cup final and have a massive turn out to watch them.

If a club has little community involvement, what's the point? We may as well all support Man U. I'm proud of the academy, one of the few things we do well (along with the other stuff we do to engage with the community).

Waste of money? Well I'd be surprised if it wasn't breaking even at least and we still need the facilities. If it is costing us serious money then you have a point but I've yet to see anything that indicates it is.

Sheffield United FC are a Third Divsion Club - AFC Bournemouth are a Premier League Club who generate around £100 million more than we do year on year
It's a no brainer for Bournmouth - If he makes it he will be worth up to £8-10 million if he doesn't he will still have a Premier League Club on his CV and they will get more than their money back ! - Same scenario as Everton with DCL - Until we start playing at a decent standard we will always lose our youngsters to clubs playing at a higher level !

1ir9zv.jpg

If we got £1.25m as it is imagine what we could have fetched had he been on a 3-4 year contract. £4m-£5m easy.

Aaron Ramsdsle signed a youth contract, it was during that time that he started impressing and attracting the attentions of clubs higher up the food chain. He also has an agent.

If you was an agent would you advise him to sign a contract for 3 or 4 years in the knowledge that he could get a move to a club higher up the food chain, on better wages and with better short to medium term prospects of success.

If you was a footballer what would you do.

That is the reality of modern professional football. I think we have done decent business here because he wasn't going to sign a contract and we would have lost him during the summer for a lot less.

On the SUFC site today :
"Boss Chris Wilder explained: "There's been interest in Aaron for quite a while and despite rejecting smaller offers, this bid was too good to turn down. The bid exceeded the club's valuation.
"We are in the game of winning football matches and being a sustainable business - as we stand Aaron's transfer does not affect our challenge for promotion. Simon Moore is in possession of the goalkeeper's shirt at the moment and in George Long and Jake Eastwood we have adequate cover.
"A number of discussions have taken place since the substantial bid was submitted and we felt agreeing to the sale is the best decision for the club in terms of the initial fee and the associated add-ons. Also, it is opportunity for Aaron that we cannot deny him and we wish him well for the future."

If the bid exceeded the amount that the club valued him at then it might be good business for all involved especially if we are going to need a transfer kitty to be able to buy more players capable of competing in the Championship next year. Would anyone rather he sold the likes of Billy Sharpe instead?

On the SUFC site today :
"Boss Chris Wilder explained: "There's been interest in Aaron for quite a while and despite rejecting smaller offers, this bid was too good to turn down. The bid exceeded the club's valuation.
"We are in the game of winning football matches and being a sustainable business - as we stand Aaron's transfer does not affect our challenge for promotion. Simon Moore is in possession of the goalkeeper's shirt at the moment and in George Long and Jake Eastwood we have adequate cover.
"A number of discussions have taken place since the substantial bid was submitted and we felt agreeing to the sale is the best decision for the club in terms of the initial fee and the associated add-ons. Also, it is opportunity for Aaron that we cannot deny him and we wish him well for the future."

If the bid exceeded the amount that the club valued him at then it might be good business for all involved especially if we are going to need a transfer kitty to be able to buy more players capable of competing in the Championship next year. Would anyone rather he sold the likes of Billy Sharpe instead?
as beighton blade used to say on bmad same owd same owd

Its a tough one. DCL, Che Adams and now Ramsdale weren't putting pressure on the club to move, but with interest, the club will have a value for NOW. Its not to say that we couldn't get more in the summer, but it frees up positions and money with the summer in mind.

Selling young, fringe players is a little bit daft on one hand, but on the other it means that we earn money fairly easily.

I hope that this policy of selling young talent is not something we'll continue if we go up, but if its relatively good money for a fringe player, is it a bad thing? Not sure myself.

This is a misguided strategy. You have to sell with the players potential in mind and have a fee and/or add ons that reflect this.The buying club assumes the majority of the risk risk. The contractual situation with Ramsdale admittedly made this more difficult. SUFC ultimately have to take responsibility for his contract entering the last six months.

Last edited:
On the SUFC site today :

If we had a Sharpe to sell that could generate a couple of million, get the bugger sold I say!

This is a misguided strategy. You have to sell with the players potential in mind and have a fee and/or add ons that reflect this.The buying club assumes the majority of the risk risk. The contractual situation with Ramsdale admittedly made this more difficult. SUFC ultimately have to take responsibility for his contract entering the last six months.

I don't think its really down to the contractual situation, rather the situation which allows us to cash in now, for the benefit of now.

I think its a lets do what we can to get out of league 1 strategy.

Which quite frankly is the right one for right now.

VENTU
Not a waste of time for those that work there or those who've become professional footballers after being there and all those who watch the games and take pleasure from the success these kids have.
Certainly not a waste of time when we get into the FA Youth Cup final and have a massive turn out to watch them.

If a club has little community involvement, what's the point? We may as well all support Man U. I'm proud of the academy, one of the few things we do well (along with the other stuff we do to engage with the community).

Waste of money? Well I'd be surprised if it wasn't breaking even at least and we still need the facilities. If it is costing us serious money then you have a point but I've yet to see anything that indicates it is.

Great post. People should also know that many of the facilities are regularly used by the first team too, yet partly subsidised by grants for academy purposes. We would have to invest in a single purpose facility without the grants if we abolished Shirecliffe/adapted its purpose.I've been told that the running costs are around two million but only around half come from club coffers. In a bumper sales year DCL, Che, Ramsdale, the academy has more than paid for itself. If we get significant add ons for said players ( personallyvery optimistic re DL, Ramsdale) it would pay for the academy for many years to come.

I don't think you get it though pal - I really don't.

What deal do you think Rammy was on? £2k a week? Maybe not even that. If he'd got a 5 year contract it wouldn't have made one iota of difference.

You can't tie any player down to a deal if a bigger offer comes in and he wants to go.

Well do excuse my ignorance, but I naively thought, that whilst a longer deal may not alter the will of the player to join a team in a higher league, it would strengthen the selling clubs position when negotiating the associated transfer fee?

But what do I know, maybe I just don't get it, eh, pal :mad:

I agree, but then again, we were told that the game had changed and "we no longer have to sell our best young players".
If you watch the 18s& 23s Ramsdale is a real prospect!!sure United would rather have kept him for he will be worth far more than we got in a few years from now ( not withstanding unforseen events ).
What would he be on at Bramall lane ? 2-3-4 thousand!!,he will be getting a lot more than that at a premiership club, He's gone for the money and even if he had a 10 year contract!! Could we really stand in his way.
United will surely have offered him a contract when it was obviouse he was going to be a special keeper,his handlers are not daft and would have held out for a premier club to come knocking and right on que they were there sniffing around and not just Ramsdale either ( we have a few nuggets coming through..)
But do you know what !! ! Let's all blame Mccabe for cashing in.

I agree with all of that. My only concern is EPPP. Apparently, several young stars have already been poached (12-15 year olds) by the likes of City for pittance. You have to wonder whether the academy can continue to produce million pound players when they can be nabbed at a younger age for nearly nowt.

I hope we can become category A sooner rather than later, so that we can be the ones doing the poaching.

If you watch the 18s& 23s Ramsdale is a real prospect!!sure United would rather have kept him for he will be worth far more than we got in a few years from now ( not withstanding unforseen events ).
What would he be on at Bramall lane ? 2-3-4 thousand!!,he will be getting a lot more than that at a premiership club, He's gone for the money and even if he had a 10 year contract!! Could we really stand in his way.
United will surely have offered him a contract when it was obviouse he was going to be a special keeper,his handlers are not daft and would have held out for a premier club to come knocking and right on que they were there sniffing around and not just Ramsdale either ( we have a few nuggets coming through..)

I watch the U18 and U23s regular and have been tipping Ramsdale and DCL for the PL for years. I think Ramsdale would've been on a lot less than the figures you quote at United, but would have wanted a senior players wage to consider signing again.. We couldn't have stood in his way (or indeed any young players) but we could have strengthened our negotiating position. Its about realising value so we can improve our own position - I don't think we have with this transfer.. Ultimately any young player that you think has Pl potential has to be signed to a long deal because the potential upside is huge when compared to the negligible cost. Anybody who watched Rambo knew within a few months that he was destined for bigger things, its inconceivable that we have somehow arrived at this situation.

Last edited:
I agree with all of that. My only concern is EPPP. Apparently, several young stars have already been poached (12-15 year olds) by the likes of City for pittance. You have to wonder whether the academy can continue to produce million pound players when they can be nabbed at a younger age for nearly nowt.

I hope we can become category A sooner rather than later, so that we can be the ones doing the poaching.

To combat thisUnited have adapted the academy into one which targets older players who have fallen by the wayside (Hirst, Ramsdale, Whiteman, Brookes, Che Adams, Kirmani Smith etc). They finish their youth development at Shirecliffe before, hopefully, progressing to the seniors or making the club money. We sometimes pay fees for these players, particularly if there sourced from non league and already on pro/semi pro deals. the traditional rout has many pitfalls due to EPPP as you've stated but we still had DCL break through recently.

I'd be amazed if our Under 23 prospects are getting that kind of money. Even the top ones.

Bet a fair few of the first team squad aren't earning that much.

I agree although I think they'll still be able to poach off us. Most of the time it's a big gamble anyway, trying to guess which 14 year old is going to make it as a pro.

If I was advising a kid it would probably be 'do the big club academy until you're 16 and then consider going to a smaller academy as you'll struggle to get a look in at the likes of City, if they even offer you a contract'.

And if I were City's owners, I'd be a lot more bothered about the cost of the academy than we should be. They've spent tens of millions and have virtually nothing to show for it yet.

We can just continue to pick up kids like Brooks and Ramsdale after they've been released from other academies and develop them, along with kids who might not look great at 14 but improve as they get older and ones that think 'sod City, I'll stick with United as I'm doing well and I'd rather go to a PL club with a price tag because then they might actually play me'.

I watch the U18 and U23s regular and have been tipping Ramsdale and DCL for the PL for years. I think Ramsdale would've been on a lot less than the figures you quote at United, but would have wanted a senior players wage to consider signing again.. We couldn't have stood in his way (or indeed any young players) but we could have strengthened our negotiating position. Its about realising value so we can improve our own position - I don't think we have with this transfer.. Ultimately any young player that you think has Pl potential has to be signed to a long deal because the potential upside is huge when compared to the negligible cost. Anybody who watched Rambo knew within a few months that he was destined for bigger things and its inconceivable that we have somehow arrived at this situation.
Sure United are savvy enough to know this but agents are cunning people and also know when a player is good enough for premiership.
I could rephrase cunning to mean something else but I will refrain from that

Perhaps if we were a Premier League club attracting 11,000 fans per week we could afford to keep him on much higher wages and a longer contract !

Back
Top Bottom