The Ramsdale Effect - Should this now be the season's focus...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Aaron Ramsdale had a dreadful first half to the season with us when he joined, but by the end managed to turn his form around to the point where we pretty much recouped the money we paid for him.

It sounds like we will need to generate serious transfer funds in the summer to address our financial issues. With a lot of our best players out of contract, most of our assets will be the players we recruited last summer.

With that in mind should our main aim now to just pick these players constantly week by week and try to play them in the positions that will highlight their talent (I appreciate we probably are already doing that in most cases).

Out of the bunch below - what transfer fee do you think we'd generate based on their season with us so far ?!

Souza
Hamer
Trusty
Traore
Slimani
Archer - (probably irrelevant if it is true he's going back to Villa)

Hamer and Vinni was out of what we got for Illi and Berge, J-mac and Archer will be going back plus we'll have parachute payments so can't see it being too bad financially.

Think we'll need the likes of Brooks and Jebbison to hit the standard to make up the numbers though.

Hamer and Vinni was out of what we got for Illi and Berge, J-mac and Archer will be going back plus we'll have parachute payments so can't see it being too bad financially.

Think we'll need the likes of Brooks and Jebbison to hit the standard to make up the numbers though.
Bringing in 8 -10 players wont be cheap if we want some quality for the Championships and the ones we have bought aint at the moment worth what we paid

Aaron Ramsdale had a dreadful first half to the season with us when he joined, but by the end managed to turn his form around to the point where we pretty much recouped the money we paid for him.

It sounds like we will need to generate serious transfer funds in the summer to address our financial issues. With a lot of our best players out of contract, most of our assets will be the players we recruited last summer.

With that in mind should our main aim now to just pick these players constantly week by week and try to play them in the positions that will highlight their talent (I appreciate we probably are already doing that in most cases).

Out of the bunch below - what transfer fee do you think we'd generate based on their season with us so far ?!

Souza
Hamer
Trusty
Traore
Slimani
Sell them all to Sainsburys, nectar points is all we'll get with that lot .

Souza
Hamer
Trusty
Traore
Slimani

I was delighted to recoup the Ramsdale money, but mainly because he clearly wasn't worth the money. We've spent next to nothing this season once you look at Archer as a loan,and we've got parachute payments coming. I don't think we need to be selling off anyone that's actually decent.. but sadly I dont think anyone is decent beyond the loanees.

Souza has improved a bit, and it would be nice to see what he's like in the championship, but at the same time.. if someone offers £10 million , I think we have to take it.

I was delighted to recoup the Ramsdale money, but mainly because he clearly wasn't worth the money. We've spent next to nothing this season once you look at Archer as a loan,and we've got parachute payments coming. I don't think we need to be selling off anyone that's actually decent.. but sadly I dont think anyone is decent beyond the loanees.

Souza has improved a bit, and it would be nice to see what he's like in the championship, but at the same time.. if someone offers £10 million , I think we have to take it.

What would we do with it? Rhetorical question, I admit..

Bringing in 8 -10 players wont be cheap if we want some quality for the Championships and the ones we have bought aint at the moment worth what we paid
We don't need to bring in 8-10 players next season, we can add quality from the championship on the cheap if needs be. We only need 4 or 5 and then we have u21s and add couple loans.

Think we'll morph into the Standard championship club living off free transfers and loans as long as we don't gamble too much on going back up.
But with what could be be available why not?

There's a good 4 or 5 we could try and pursue that are coming to end of their contracts, who would be good enough and make us into a stronger squad to challenge for the top 2 next season.

But with what could be be available why not?

There's a good 4 or 5 we could try and pursue that are coming to end of their contracts, who would be good enough and make us into a stronger squad to challenge for the top 2 next season.

They would want high wages for a long period, after when parachute payments have ended.

How we're this skint after 3 years in the Premier league starting with a mostly free transfers like Didsy and Fleck I'll never know!

Transfer fees aren't what they were - lots of players see their contracts out. We'll lose out by this, but there'll be plenty of opportunities. And I'd suspect we'll be one of the big payers, in the championship.

They would want high wages for a long period, after when parachute payments have ended.

How we're this skint after 3 years in the Premier league starting with a mostly free transfers like Didsy and Fleck I'll never know!
Genuine question, but who says we're skint?

Not sure about high wages, we could offer them probably more than their current teams paying and also the lure of potential top 2 finish and chance of premier league. If they buy into that.

Quite a few wannabe football manager accountants often post about how skint we are and the Prince isn't as bad as he seems, that spreads and lots seem to follow that theory so I'm just going along with it. If you don't you get the usual "av yew read de finahsul staytmenmints"

Well it's understandable given last seasons embargo for non payment, and this seasons lack of spending to know that we were skint, however surely we've done enough to balance the books now considering this years TV money and the parachute payments? Accounts expert Sean Thornton might be able to shed more light?

Well it's understandable given last seasons embargo for non payment, and this seasons lack of spending to know that we were skint, however surely we've done enough to balance the books now considering this years TV money and the parachute payments? Accounts expert Sean Thornton might be able to shed more light?
I'll have a look in a bit. Am good with that sort of fing.

Souza
Hamer
Trusty
Traore
Slimani
The reason clubs usually need to raise a decent chunk of cash (£30m is often stated) is because their wage bill remains high while their revenue takes a £50m+ cut. United don't have this issue as all the PL legacy are ending so the need to raise as much cash isn't there.

I think Souza will go for a profit and they'll try to move Hamer for about the same fee (probably unsuccessfully).

That’s my thinking 👍

I would start playing Brooks, Osula, Brewster combined with Hamer Souza Trusty and Anel.
We need to get to a point where we are confident Brooks and Osula can develop into dependable players for us. See what we can sell and change how we recruit. After years of a lack of quality players from Ireland there has been a lot of quality coming through that other clubs have picked up cheaply. We brought in the lad from St Pats which is positive. We need to look to Scandinavian leagues, Belgium and Holland etc.

If we’re going down the road of admitting we are going down and planning for next season in the championship then can we now sack Wilder?

Wilders doing right. he’s blood the kids in, he’s demanded they all contracted down. I want him to step away at the end of the season, knowing he’s contributed a strong base for next. Let’s get a manager in, and look at Leeds as inspiration for next season.

Wilders doing right. he’s blood the kids in, he’s demanded they all contracted down. I want him to step away at the end of the season, knowing he’s contributed a strong base for next. Let’s get a manager in, and look at Leeds as inspiration for next season.
He came in to manage us in the championship next season, not a chance he'll step away.

I think Souza will go for a profit and they'll try to move Hamer for about the same fee (probably unsuccessfully).

Transfer markt have Souza at costing us £12.5m and worth £12m, which I would say is about right, even if someone comes in with a £15m bid if he’s happy to stay id keep him

He will be a monster in the Championship, and his personality will be infectious in a winning team

Transfer markt have Souza at costing us £12.5m and worth £12m, which I would say is about right, even if someone comes in with a £15m bid if he’s happy to stay id keep him

He will be a monster in the Championship, and his personality will be infectious in a winning team
He cost less than 50% of that.

Hmm ..whilever were up for sale the concern in the back of my mind is that we’ll clear the decks & back fill with the kids & free transfers

Back
Top Bottom