How optimistic do you feel compared to May?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How optimistic are you now?

• More

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • Less

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • The same

Votes: 32 34.0%

• Total voters

blader

Reaction score
We are now very close to the start of season, do you feel we are now better or worse than you expected us to be at this stage in May?

Less I'm afraid. I think our first 11 is looking much weaker then the end of last season. Still time i know, but I'm not holding my breath.

Im the same. I'm not massively optimistic for automatic. We had a slightly skewed side with Coady and Brayford performing out of their socks in the second half of the season. We won't be that good I dont think.

BUT I think it's a weaker league this year. AND hopefully we wont have the ridiculous Mogodon-infused start to the season like we did last time.

So you never know.

I'm still waiting for that one signing that makes us all think 'yep quality player we've signed there'.....

I think we will hover around the top 6 for the first half of the season, but will absoloutely storm the 2nd half and win the league. This isn't blind optimism nor based on last year's 2nd half season run. I just think we have more strength in depth than other squads, I think we have one of the fittest squads in the league, and I think we will, for a change, have a belter of a January transfer window.
W26 D14 L6 Pts92. GF71 GA39.

Optimistic? what does tha mean? :eek:)

Im feeling the same really. Hoped we could have signed a couple of goal getters, but not to be at present,
although hopefully McNulty will come could.

Not very, so about par for the course at this time of the footballing year.

Get a decent striker in and we will be fine
Get Brayford in as well and we can rest easy

Think we seem slightly weaker at the moment but once the new lads have a few games experience together we'll be better…

Unfortunately, I'm slightly less optimistic. Coady, Maguire and Brayford in our starting 11 will be missed.

In the same breath, I have faith that NC has recruited enough talent to fill their shoes. Last year was probably the proudest I've been as a Blade since we got promoted to the premier league.

I'm looking forward to seeing Diego, Reed and Wallace play this season.

Although last year we had a tremendous run after the Crewe game with some great performances from 'the missing players', I feel we're better equipped for the long slog that is L1.
We've brought in experienced players, who once they've gelled, should have enough to pull us through. We've also, for the first time in awhile, got decent competition for places... In addition to this we've signed two promising youngsters in McNulty and McGahey who could make the difference if things go well.
This is without even mentioning the fact that we now seem to have a host of academy prospects ready and fighting for a first team squad place.

I do get the feeling that we are 'on the up' and if we can get 'this striker or two' in and Freeman/one more defender we will have a very strong L1 squad.

UTB and bring it on!

I currently think top 6 finish, the squad looks better but still missing one or two who would deliver a top two finish, I reckon there will be a few teams that will struggle this year.

Right now, less so. There's no real obvious "top" quality in those we've bought it - certainly nothing that many would class as "game changing". Short of us signing a really top striker (and there is time), I'd say we're a fair bit weaker than last season on the face of it - and it will really be down to whether the manager has got it right with the wheeling and dealing.

He could well have done, but if we get promoted there's no doubt where the praise should be heaped, and it's not in the boardroom.

UTB

I have the same optimism. I saw what we were capable in the second half of the season and I have full faith in everything Nigel Clough does.

I have the same optimism. I saw what we were capable in the second half of the season and I have full faith in everything Nigel Clough does.

BUT, 3 key players in the 2nd half of the season were Coady, Brayford and Maguire. They've been replaced by lots of potential, but not pure quality. Given the promise of investment, a money spinning cup run, a significant boost in season ticket sales and £2.5M from the sale of Maguire - can you really say that you're not a tad disappointed and are still as optimistic at this point?

If Clough is given a budget of £50, we might all have faith that he'll return value on that £50, but it won't be getting us promoted.

UTB

I pretty much feel the same as before, with Maguire now gone we need a replacement in Centre-back and that illusive striker.
If we get them two in I think we will be ready for the new season.

I think I am more confident but only because I think we have played some good stuff at times in the friendlies. If we can consistently play as we have done in spells with getting it out wide and getting plenty of balls in the box the I think we will romp a few teams this season. As everyone says though that elusive striker that we need would make me much more confident.

UTB!

Chezzy Blade

I feel the same. We're a top 6 side this season, and with a good run of results we're top 2.

Less

I think We'll miss Coady massively, sure if we have money we could put a bid in to test Liverpools resolve? Also we've known for ages, as has Clough himself that we are short of a quality striker, and while I know they don't grow on trees, the fact that despite having all this time to scout for one and look at bringing one in, we look likely to be relying on an unproven scot and a young lad from derby reserves worries me.

Still McNulty could be a Gem, and we'll romp the league :)

Less

I think We'll miss Coady massively, sure if we have money we could put a bid in to test Liverpools resolve? Also we've known for ages, as has Clough himself that we are short of a quality striker, and while I know they don't grow on trees, the fact that despite having all this time to scout for one and look at bringing one in, we look likely to be relying on an unproven scot and a young lad from derby reserves worries me.

Still McNulty could be a Gem, and we'll romp the league :)

Has been widely reported that the scousers will part with Coady for the right cash, guessing Clough just doesnt think he is worth the right cash.

Has been widely reported that the scousers will part with Coady for the right cash, guessing Clough just doesnt think he is worth the right cash.

Or Coady doesnt want to go to us permanently?

Back
Top Bottom