What I really resent about this season...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kozzy_is_my_Dad

No excuses, no dickheads.
Reaction score
The more this season goes on, the more I resent the fact that the Prince hasn't even attempted to make us competitive. Between games that involve drubbings and games that are wholly non-events, there are very few games where we are competitive, or the match is entertaining or memorable. West Ham being one of very few. Wolves the other?

We're at real risk of being a laughing stock, or utterly forgettable, or just looking like we aren't taking seriously the opportunity to be in the best league in the world. When in reality, we are a cracking fanbase with pride, who deserve better. Even our self-deprecating sense of humour is being stretched this season. What's more, the players are professionals, and they have pride too. But what can you do, if you haven't been given the tools to put up a credible fight?

Our season is in stark contrast to Luton's, who are on the journey you expect - understandably towards the bottom of the table, but plucky, having a go, plenty of memorable match days, in with a shout if they can just pull it off.

Did I expect to stay up? No. But I expected it to be fun, to be more competitive that it has been, to show signs of building for next season, to hear positive news of a sale and hope for the future of the club. To avoid it often being humiliating, or simply boring.

There's shoots of hope under Wilder, some slight improvement (just by rough observation), but nothing more. I at least feel a greater sense of togetherness and fight.

But overall, it pains me that the Prince's fantastic leadership has led many to apathy, and that we're just forgettable side in a non-event of a season. Where's the pride in that? The blame lies solely at his door.

Valid points in many ways.

However, if you owned a business and ploughed in millions of pounds, only to see the management you “entrust” to run it, spunk a more than significant portion of said investment …………..?

PL recruitment 4/5 years ago was dogshit.

You reap wot you sow.

UTB

I agree on pretty much everything you’ve said. The only defence for the prince is he isn’t in charge of recruitment and the players we’ve signed just aren’t good enough, that’s a scouting issue.

You look at Slimane, Traore, Larrouci players that we attempted to sign with potential future resale value who are so far away from what we needed.

Hopefully Grbic was just having an off day today and doesn’t get put in the category of the rest of our foreign signings.

It’s interesting how much blame Mark Hudson got for the defence, yet Matt Duke comes under no fire & our keepers are struggling just as much as the defence.

The Prince has to be blamed for everything else though, allowing all of our squad to be out of contract & selling your two best players so close to the start of the season was suicidal.

We’ll go down as one of the worst premier league teams and he’s massively to blame.

It’s a good OP but the counter points are right, it’s not his fault he hasn’t got loads of cash to throw at the club.

The bit he’s got majorly wrong is the whole process around selling the club, we’ve had 2 criminals so far and then he’s realised that it might be a good idea to use a broker. The valuation seems pie in the sky and the internal due diligence seems to be non-existent.

It’s a good OP but the counter points are right, it’s not his fault he hasn’t got loads of cash to throw at the club.

The bit he’s got majorly wrong is the whole process around selling the club, we’ve had 2 criminals so far and then he’s realised that it might be a good idea to use a broker. The valuation seems pie in the sky and the internal due diligence seems to be non-existent.
That's fair comment mate, and I agree. I'm a tad flouncy because it's driven by resentment and frustration, and not everything is in his control - largely, he can't spend what he hasn't got...

But he can get the sale of the club right, on all the ways you describe. Lower your price, be realistic and see where that takes us...

It doesn't come as much of a suprise to me as we was often told last season how we need to go up just so we don't end up in big trouble financially.

I don't see much changing next season. Other than our two seasons in the top flight last time our transfer strategy under the Prince has always been loan signings or sell to buy. We've barely invested or spent anything.

We got relegated last time, received parachute payments, the players reportedly had pay cuts built into their contracts that reduced with each season we failed to go up, and all we saw was Anel come in for £4mil. That's about it. Any other teams coming down reinvest the parachute payments to build a team to go straight back up. We spent nothing.

Even this summer we more or less broke even in the transfer market thanks to selling Ndiaye and Berge.

We have regressed on the field constantly as we don't build teams. We retain the tried and tested unreliable out of form players of yester year, and supplement them with loan signings, who often go on to be our best and most reliable players. Norwood, Fleck and Osborn getting new deals last summer was the opening punchline to a terrible joke, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Norwood get another year for next season. Let him sign a pre-contract deal with another club now. Better yet, if they want him next summer, let them have him now, if he's willing to drop down to League One where he belongs.

Our squad is a mess.

My biggest fear for next season isn't not going up. It's how many of the 16 out of contract get new deals and we continue to see the same crap in red and white shirts with better players belonging to other clubs.

This started when we borrowed a goalkeeper for 3 out of 4 seasons and the policy hasn't changed since.

Only Sheffield United could win £110mil on Euro Millions and somehow be skinter in receiving it.

The Prince needs to reduce his asking price and go. He's taken us as far as he can attempting to run the club on it's own finances, but football finance is too broken and too corrupt for this to work. He'd be lucky to get £100mil at the moment when 16 assets can walk for free in the summer and the main sellable asset is allegedly a useless, sulking Bosnian centre back.

I don't see much changing next season. Other than our two seasons in the top flight last time our transfer strategy under the Prince has always been loan signings or sell to buy. We've barely invested or spent anything.

We got relegated last time, received parachute payments, the players reportedly had pay cuts built into their contracts that reduced with each season we failed to go up, and all we saw was Anel come in for £4mil. That's about it. Any other teams coming down reinvest the parachute payments to build a team to go straight back up. We spent nothing.

Even this summer we more or less broke even in the transfer market thanks to selling Ndiaye and Berge.

We have regressed on the field constantly as we don't build teams. We retain the tried and tested unreliable out of form players of yester year, and supplement them with loan signings, who often go on to be our best and most reliable players. Norwood, Fleck and Osborn getting new deals last summer was the opening punchline to a terrible joke, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Norwood get another year for next season. Let him sign a pre-contract deal with another club now. Better yet, if they want him next summer, let them have him now, if he's willing to drop down to League One where he belongs.

Our squad is a mess.

My biggest fear for next season isn't not going up. It's how many of the 16 out of contract get new deals and we continue to see the same crap in red and white shirts with better players belonging to other clubs.

This started when we borrowed a goalkeeper for 3 out of 4 seasons and the policy hasn't changed since.

Only Sheffield United could win £110mil on Euro Millions and somehow be skinter in receiving it.

The Prince needs to reduce his asking price and go. He's taken us as far as he can attempting to run the club on it's own finances, but football finance is too broken and too corrupt for this to work. He'd be lucky to get £100mil at the moment when 16 assets can walk for free in the summer and the main sellable asset is allegedly a useless, sulking Bosnian centre back.

Good post, but who are the 16 player assets who are out of contract in the summer? I know we are trying to get the young lads signed up (Arblaster and Jebbo) and maybe a deal for Baldock and Bogle, but other than that I'd like us to get rid of the rest. Start afresh and see CW having a busy summer with recruitment.

I'm just tired.

I'm tired of the effort needed to get to and from games, with almost weekly train cancellations ( didn't actually get home one week and had to stay in Leeds overnight )

I'm tired of trying to talk up our chances in the pub pre-match when my heart isn't in it.

I'm tired of leaving after the 4th goal and going to drown sorrows

I'm tired of having to resort to gallows humour when chatting with opposing fans

I'm tired of watching players I wish weren't here and tired of adding to the list every week.

On seeing the Arsenal game moved to Monday night, "fuck" was joined with "thank" rather than bookended by "for" and "sake".

Tired.

I'm just tired.

I'm tired of the effort needed to get to and from games, with almost weekly train cancellations ( didn't actually get home one week and had to stay in Leeds overnight )

I'm tired of trying to talk up our chances in the pub pre-match when my heart isn't in it.

I'm tired of having to resort to gallows humour when chatting with opposing fans

I'm tired of watching players I wish weren't here and tired of adding to the list every week.

On seeing the Arsenal game moved to Monday night, "fuck" was joined with "thank" rather than bookended by "for" and "sake".

Tired.
This post was sponsored by Red Bull.

I remember having a conversation with some younger fans before we went up in 2019. They were too young to really remember the Warnock Prem season and I remember saying how everything in the Premier League seems more exciting. There's a bigger buzz around matchdays, the atmosphere is a level above, you look forward to games more, every goal means SO much more.

That was true for the following season, but this year there has been NONE of that. It's such a massive shame as we don't get this regularly as a club, and the last two times were robbed from us.

To be honest the signs were there last season for me, it was downright weird how lacking that promotion felt. The club has had a bit of a cloud over it for a while now and it can be sensed through the supporters.

These borderline impossible Premier League seasons are incredibly deflating. But as I say to my young boy - we're in the top 20 teams in the country; we're better than most clubs.

Still crossing fingers for a miracle this season.

But otherwise I'll try to think optimistically about a summer 'squad refresh' for a new era.

I'm just tired.

Tired.
I know this is heartfelt, but my mind went here…
IMG_0998.gif

To add to that even if he had cash we wouldnt be able to spend loads due to FFP (or whatever ot is called now)

Look at Newcastle, endless cash, they are having to sell their star players so they dont fall foul of the FFP rules.

If only we was living in a fifa/champ manager world 💲💲💲

Reason i dislike this season is it seems to have generated a lot of ill feelings in fans, generated a lot of hate. Things could be a whole heap worse, we could be a Wigan or Reading, who are in a real bad place, or even worse we could support Wednesday.

For me take the positives no matter how small - Wilder, premier league money and a really promising youth team.

Bizarrely I’m a lot more positive than most on the thread.

It was obvious how little chance we stood the moment we sold Ndiaye. We’re over the worst of the end days of Hecky’s regime. Wilder is certainly improving us with an eye on next season. I expect a few good results before the season ends.

There’s plenty more to do and it certainly won’t keep us up, but I enjoy watching Brooks, Osula, McAtee and few others. There’s a lot of promise in the squad.

The Prince’s comedic attempts at selling really do piss me off. But there’s not a deal we can do about that. I’ll enjoy what I can in the meantime.

The more this season goes on, the more I resent the fact that the Prince hasn't even attempted to make us competitive. Between games that involve drubbings and games that are wholly non-events, there are very few games where we are competitive, or the match is entertaining or memorable. West Ham being one of very few. Wolves the other?

We're at real risk of being a laughing stock, or utterly forgettable, or just looking like we aren't taking seriously the opportunity to be in the best league in the world. When in reality, we are a cracking fanbase with pride, who deserve better. Even our self-deprecating sense of humour is being stretched this season. What's more, the players are professionals, and they have pride too. But what can you do, if you haven't been given the tools to put up a credible fight?

Our season is in stark contrast to Luton's, who are on the journey you expect - understandably towards the bottom of the table, but plucky, having a go, plenty of memorable match days, in with a shout if they can just pull it off.

Did I expect to stay up? No. But I expected it to be fun, to be more competitive that it has been, to show signs of building for next season, to hear positive news of a sale and hope for the future of the club. To avoid it often being humiliating, or simply boring.

There's shoots of hope under Wilder, some slight improvement (just by rough observation), but nothing more. I at least feel a greater sense of togetherness and fight.

But overall, it pains me that the Prince's fantastic leadership has led many to apathy, and that we're just forgettable side in a non-event of a season. Where's the pride in that? The blame lies solely at his door.
🎯

Our squad is a mess.

That just about sums it up for me, but what I can't get my head round is why this skint prince wanted it in the first place you don't buy something you know you can't afford to run. It's fucking madness !! If he's still here next season I really fear for us and especially if this shit recruitment team is.

Considering this is a season where we've been knocked out of the League Cup by a team two divisions below, knocked out of the FA Cup early, and facing relegation potentially finishing bottom, I'm quite relaxed.

I think it boils down to the fact I've never once believed we could stay up. Obviously not happy with it all but I simply think we're nowhere near good enough.

It's hard to blame players too much and no manager would keep us up imho.

I was frustrated with how ill prepared we were for the Palace game but I can't say I blame the owner for not spending more.

The main negative for me is that if there's no change in ownership by next season, then how much appetite will there be amongst the fanbase in general to get promoted again.

Last season didn't feel quite the same as 2019 and was more about the financial wellbeing of the club. That will still apply but after this campaign, how many will be desperate for a repeat.

I remember having a conversation with some younger fans before we went up in 2019. They were too young to really remember the Warnock Prem season and I remember saying how everything in the Premier League seems more exciting. There's a bigger buzz around matchdays, the atmosphere is a level above, you look forward to games more, every goal means SO much more.

That was true for the following season, but this year there has been NONE of that. It's such a massive shame as we don't get this regularly as a club, and the last two times were robbed from us.

To be honest the signs were there last season for me, it was downright weird how lacking that promotion felt. The club has had a bit of a cloud over it for a while now and it can be sensed through the supporters.
Agreed, the promotion was so so weird. Almost like the squad knew they had to be promoted but would probably have taken another season in the Championship if offered. Also agree with the atmosphere around match days now, just feels like you're all marching in to a machine gun battle armed with pencil sharpener.

All it will take (he says like it's easy) is just a small run of 2 or 3 games with convincing wins and the atmosphere literally everywhere will change both inside the club and out. I'm just not sure where that comes from, the squad, the club, the fans and even the opposite teams are all traveling to the Lane on match day thinking "united will lose this" well that's how it feels anyway.

I genuinely thought abject capitulations like yesterday were a thing of the past.

I agree on pretty much everything you’ve said. The only defence for the prince is he isn’t in charge of recruitment and the players we’ve signed just aren’t good enough, that’s a scouting issue.

You look at Slimane, Traore, Larrouci players that we attempted to sign with potential future resale value who are so far away from what we needed.

Hopefully Grbic was just having an off day today and doesn’t get put in the category of the rest of our foreign signings.

It’s interesting how much blame Mark Hudson got for the defence, yet Matt Duke comes under no fire & our keepers are struggling just as much as the defence.

The Prince has to be blamed for everything else though, allowing all of our squad to be out of contract & selling your two best players so close to the start of the season was suicidal.

We’ll go down as one of the worst premier league teams and he’s massively to blame.
Well they won't be good enough will that paying 3 or 5 million and think they are prem league quality is a very big ask .

It’s been an absolute amateur shit show from pre-season to present sadly . We got promoted in April & then let 4 months dwindle away while allowing 2 players dictate whether they wanted to stay or not instead of setting a deadline. I feel sorry for Hecky got us up then ended up with a weaker squad as he was given a paupers budget on an absolute hiding to nothing .
I’d love to know how much the owners pocketed out of this season even after clearing debt & current wage bill he’s hit the jackpot .
I almost feels like been mugged this season , we’re not even remotely competitive , I personally think the current squad would be mid table Championship next season .
Worryingly Bertie said in his interview at the start of the season that we’d only have to sell one player if we went down ?? .. well not see the true picture until the accounts are published unfortunately.
There’s a malaise that’s been set in a while and I’m concerned that we will be the next PL reject sat at the the wrong end Championship or god forbid lower ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom