Worst goals tally ever - can we do it?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Revolution

Reaction score
There are 8 games left, and whilst we have avoided Derby like levels of incompetence in terms of points there is still work to be done on another front, namely to avoid being the lowest scoring side of all time in English league football.

We currently have 17 goals, of course. 10 at home and 7 away. The record lows we could yet beat, or equal, are as follows:

Fewest goals in a season: 18 by Loughborough Town, division 2, 1899-1900 (34 game season)
Fewest goals in a PL season: 20 by Derby County, 2007-8
Fewest home goals in a season: 10 by Man City, 2006-7 and by Huddersfield, 2018-19
Fewest away goals in a PL season: 7 by Norwich in 2019-20
Fewest goals in a season by a Sheffield United side: 32 in 2006-7

We have already beaten the all time fewest goals away record - Loughborough only managed 6.

We have had 2 other seasons when we scored less that a goal a game aside from 2006-7. These were 1990-91 (36 in 38 games) and 1975-6 (33 in 42 games).

It is clear that barring a miracle this team will set a club record for goalscoring incompetence. As for the other records, my guess is that we will score at least once more, but there is a chance we could break Derby's record.

Finally, a look at our goalscorers this season and last:

McGoldrick 6 (last season 2)
Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

With a few exceptions, this is pathetic. The idea that we will score enough goals to finish in the top 6 next season seems deluded in the extreme at the moment.

There are 8 games left, and whilst we have avoided Derby like levels of incompetence in terms of points there is still work to be done on another front, namely to avoid being the lowest scoring side of all time in English league football.

We currently have 17 goals, of course. 10 at home and 7 away. The record lows we could yet beat, or equal, are as follows:

Fewest goals in a season: 18 by Loughborough Town, division 2, 1899-1900 (34 game season)
Fewest home goals in a season: 10 by Man City, 2006-7 and by Huddersfield, 2018-19

We have already beaten the all time fewest goals away record - Loughborough only managed 6.

We have had 2 other seasons when we scored less that a goal a game aside from 2006-7. These were 1990-91 (36 in 38 games) and 1975-6 (33 in 42 games).

It is clear that barring a miracle this team will set a club record for goalscoring incompetence. As for the other records, my guess is that we will score at least once more, but there is a chance we could break Derby's record.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

With a few exceptions, this is pathetic. The idea that we will score enough goals to finish in the top 6 next season seems deluded in the extreme at the moment.
Perhaps unlikely but not deluded.
We have players who have scored a handful in the Premiership who might well score in the Championship but also we should have one or two new players and even with the current squad create far more chances.
Being in the top six also requires a good defence and we might just have that.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

Heavens above that makes grim reading......:oops:

I got carried away and added the bottom set back in late Feb to early March when we were on a ‘good’ run. I realised I was too hasty about a week later, and completely gave up on them all the week after that. We will be the worst in our own history for a lot of things, and probably the worst of all time in the PL for goals. Lovely stuff.

A339D652-D866-4CD1-916A-27F675C7AB0F.jpeg

Been staring down the barrel for our own worst points and goals records for ages. They're both a shoe in now.

We'll avoid all the PL worst records.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

Is the fact the opposition have hit the back of their own net more than McBurnie something to be worried about? :oops:

Oh - one other thing. Rhian Brewster has now tied Rob Hulse's 21st century record for most appearances in a season with a striker without scoring: 21 scoreless games.

In 2007-8 Hulse started 10 times and was a sub 11 times and did not score. Rhian has started 8 and come on 13 times.

Rhian has 8 games (if selected) to take himself off this list. Didzy passed Hulse and then scored last season. Hopefully he will do the same.

Oh - one other thing. Rhian Brewster has now tied Rob Hulse's 21st century record for most appearances in a season with a striker without scoring: 21 scoreless games.

In 2007-8 Hulse started 10 times and was a sub 11 times and did not score. Rhian has started 8 and come on 13 times.

Rhian has 8 games (if selected) to take himself off this list. Didzy passed Hulse and then scored last season. Hopefully he will do the same.
Brewster will smash this record, has he actually had shot on target in the games he's played? I'm guessing he must have but struggling to remember a chance where he's forced the keeper to make a good save 🤔

Norwich City scored 26 goals last season. Pukki got 11, Cantwell 6 and nobody else scored more than once.

They've scored 64 this season.

Which in a normal year is about 15 to 20 short of what you need for automatic promotion. 28 goals conceded is how they are doing it.

We won't get near 64 without a lot of good new players. And we certainly aren't conceding 28.

The idea that we will score enough goals to finish in the top 6 next season seems deluded in the extreme at the moment.
I think New manager/New ideas might change this somewhat. Don’t forget, we have the best english goalscorer this century, a young pair of forwards who’ve bagged a nice ratio of goals to games at championship level and will improve. Norwood is an excellent creator at that level, plus Bogle has loads of goals in him as well

I think New manager/New ideas might change this somewhat. Don’t forget, we have the best english goalscorer this century, a young pair of forwards who’ve bagged a nice ratio of goals to games at championship level and will improve. Norwood is an excellent creator at that level, plus Bogle has loads of goals in him as well

The best English goalscorer this century is 35
There is no guarantee Brewster or McBurnie will improve. McBurnie has definitely regressed.
Norwood's legs look like they have gone
If Bogle scores more than 5 I will be amazed.

I agree, a lot hinges on a new manager and new players.

When you consider that we've scored 92 goals (league 1), then 62 (Championship 1st season back), 78 Championship (2nd season back), then only 39 last season and probably around 20-25 goals this season it's no wonder people are wanting the season to end.

True but I think he can still do a job at that level - he's still in great condition and never relied on his pace before - primitive, but stick him in the 6 yard box and he'll bag
There is no guarantee Brewster or McBurnie will improve. McBurnie has definitely regressed.
I'm not sure on McB regressing - he was playing in the best league in the world and scored 6 last season - yes he's been shite this season, but who hasn't out of our squad - he hasn't particularly improved, personally think regressed is a little harsh.
Fair comment... but again, i wonder if his ping will work at a lower level? (less pressing, more time on the ball?)
Depends how he's used, i could see him creating and scoring with license to get forward
This^ ... being brutal, i feel that Wilder mismanaged the squad this season. Stuck with a tactic proven not to work, stuck with players way out of form, made the wrong decisions time and again

Which in a normal year is about 15 to 20 short of what you need for automatic promotion. 28 goals conceded is how they are doing it.

We won't get near 64 without a lot of good new players. And we certainly aren't conceding 28.

They're still the second highest scorers in the league, despite whatever a normal season is.

And they conceded 75 goals last season. What's changed, apart from the standard of their opponents?

It is not a case of saying we will replicate their numbers, or Watford's, but it says that it is more than possible with a similar squad.

I hope McGoldrick gets a few goals so when we talk about him in the future we can talk about how he was so good he scored more than the rest of the team combined. And we'll all agree never to mention context.

Bogle strikes me as a Kieran Freeman type. Maybe not our strongest full back defensively but likely to pop up in the opposition box on the regular.

There’s no doubt we have an aging squad despite the amount we’ve pissed up the wall on ‘the future’. These players may come good but let’s be honest, without the goals of our 30+ year olds and Mr OG, we’d be struggling to break double figures.

Perhaps more worryingly, of the 17 goals we have scored this season, only 11 have been from open play. I get that they all count but that doesn’t exactly strike the fear of god into opponents that we are going to create anything ourselves.

Maybe a step back in class will help some of our new ‘young starlets’ who let’s be honest, were never ready to come straight in and rectify the already enraging shit show. The problem is, we need them playing together now to help build some momentum. For this reason Brewster has to start the majority of games between now and the rest of the season alongside someone like McGoldrick who is actually going to help get the ball down in the final third so we can play a bit and maybe create a chance for the lad.

You could also make the same argument for McBurnie but only if we’re not smashing balls up to him like prime Tony Pulis. If we’re going to do that in the Championship next season (hopefully the new manager won’t) then we can prepare for mid table.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

It isn't all about our strikers, more relevant is the team as a whole. We have been so bad at the back our wing backs get pegged back which turns 3-5-2 to 5-3-2. Once that happens our midfield three get over run even if they are on form which they are not. The front two whoever they are become isolated and end up feeding off scraps or long balls aimed at McBurnie. All our troubles stem from the defence JOC was a huge loss. Our strikers will score plenty of goals in the championship if we address other areas of the team mainly right and centre midfield and left side of the defence. We need to get our wing backs forward more Bogle is showing promise but I think we need to replace Stevens I hope RND can step up next season.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

Sorry but there are no exceptions for me. If any of those players read your list they should feel a little embarrassed. UTB

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

Next season: New manager, new motivation, some new tactics, new league. Possibly a few new players.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

You missed one depressing stat we look certain to beat; most premier league losses is 29 games held by 3 teams Derby, Ipswich and Sunderland.

We've got 24 already and with 8 to play and most of the squad having downed tools we look like a very good bet for 30 plus losses...

And Hulse had the mitigation of coming back from a very serious injury.

Wow grim reading 40million quids worth of strikers 1 goal between them, never mind they will score a hat full next season

I think new tactics where we actually attack and support the strikers might have a huge effect on these figures. A midfielder who replaces Lundstrum, who passes forwards more than once a game

Reactions: SLB
I think new tactics where we actually attack and support the strikers might have a huge effect on these figures. A midfielder who replaces Lundstrum, who passes forwards more than once a game
Wow, NEW TACTICS WHERE WE ACTUALLY ATTACK! For years I was under the misconception that attacking was part of the game of football, but now I find it is a NEW tactic & one we should incorporate into our game. It is becoming obvious why we are in the position we are in.

Attack what a good idea!

Is the fact the opposition have hit the back of their own net more than McBurnie something to be worried about? :oops:
More than McBurnie, Mousett and Brewster.

And there is still a more realistic chance that "og" could score more League goals this season than McBurnie, Mousett, Brewster, Sharp and McG combined.

Sharp 3 (3)
Bogle 2 (n/a)
Burke 1 (n/a)
Berge 1(1)
Osborn 1(0)
McBurnie 1 (6)
Bryan 1 (n/a)
own goals 1 (3)

Mousset 0(6)
Fleck 0(5)
Lundstram 0(5)
Baldock 0(2)
Stevens 0(2)
Egan 0(2)
Norwood 0(1)
Robinson n/a (1)

Good post apart from the last bit. Why is it deluded to think that strikers who struggle at the top level can’t succeed at the level below?

Back
Top Bottom