Worst goals tally ever - can we do it?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Most defeats in season: 3 clubs 29 - we have 28. 2 to play.

Most home defeats in season: Sunderland 14 - 13 with 1 to play.

Most away defeats in season: Burnley 17 - 15 with 1 to play. ✔

Fewest goals scored: Derby 20 - 19 with 2 to play.

Most goals conceded: Derby 89 - 62 with 2 to play.

Most goals conceded at home: Derby and Wolves 43 - we have 27.

Most goals conceded away: Wigan 55 - we have 35.

And it seems to have fallen off the list, but we passed Norwich’s record low of 7 away goals last night. Indeed, if we score at Newcastle we will pass the club record low of 8, which was set in our last PL relegation season.

We have moved up the table for the worst ever Premier League teams we now rank sixth worst one more win moves us above Norwich who ended with 22pts last season.

We have moved up the table for the worst ever Premier League teams we now rank sixth worst one more win moves us above Norwich who ended with 22pts last season.

I was thinking that yesterday, too. This season has felt oh so long and joyless, like an unprecedented soul-sapping torture. We also seemed miles away from ever scoring in most matches. Put differently, if you had polled me at any point whether our team this year might beat last year’s Norwich, I would have said no chance at least ever since West Brom away. They had proper players and looked coherent, not an unmitigated mass of defensive sludge with occasional bombscare match losing mad moments.

And yet we may get more points after all. So: Is all of this purely subjective? Did we not just suffer an unprecedented shit show and did they pretty much suffer the same way???

😱😱😱🥶💦

I was thinking that yesterday, too. This season has felt oh so long and joyless, like an unprecedented soul-sapping torture. We also seemed miles away from ever scoring in most matches. Put differently, if you had polled me at any point whether our team this year might beat last year’s Norwich, I would have said no chance at least ever since West Brom away. They had proper players and looked coherent, not an unmitigated mass of defensive sludge with occasional bombscare match losing mad moments.

And yet we may get more points after all. So: Is all of this purely subjective? Did we not just suffer an unprecedented shit show and did they pretty much suffer the same way???

😱😱😱🥶💦

It has been a bizarre ride. The team has been absolutely dreadful in about half of its fixtures, and hardly ever looks like scoring - and yet we have won 6 games now.

Indeed, our record since we won our first match is W6 D0 L13: that's relegation form, but it's 3rd bottom form.

2 points from the 1st 17 games was unprecedented, which added to the feeling of doom.

I suppose one thing that all of this proves is that Derby's 2007-8 was really, really special in its own way.

Most defeats in season: 3 clubs 29 - we have 28. 2 to play.

Most away defeats in season: Burnley 17 - 15 with 1 to play. ✔

Fewest goals scored: Derby 20 - 19 with 2 to play.

Most goals conceded: Derby 89 - 62 with 2 to play.

Most goals conceded at home: Derby and Wolves 43 - we have 27.

Most goals conceded away: Wigan 55 - we have 35.
Thanks for the update.

So I make it we can still sadly set the most defeats in a season and lowest ever scorers. Come on lads! Couple of more results and we are not on that list....checks notes next game Newcastle....oh

Second half of the season we've managed 15 points with two games to go. Basically this second half of the season has been more or less on pace for 17th/18th in a normal season. But with Brighton already on 38 pts the bar to survive is surprisingly high this season, could be over 40pts which hasn't happened for a long time.

For some reason I thought Norwich got 24 points last season but they did only get 21. We also now have more wins on the board they got last season as well.

Bizarre season. If only we had turned so many of those 1-0 defeats into a few wins and draws. :(

Norwich's last 10 games or so where they just gave up and lost them all we're equally as pathetic as we have been for most of this season, but I feel like they had a better season even if we get more points than them because they had their exciting patch where they played great football and beat the champions, and really, they expected it.

They spent zero quid and just had a go, knowing that really they're just going to pay off the debt collectors and try again.

We were challenging for Europe, spaffed a load on players and we're expecting to be adjusting to Premier League life and slowly building.

Fair play to the players for getting to 20 though, I said a couple of months ago when we were on 5 points, that if we got 20 we should have an open top bus parade, that's how unlikely it seemed.

20 points+ is bad, but after the first half of the season at least gives a little positivity for next season.

Second half of the season we've managed 15 points with two games to go. Basically this second half of the season has been more or less on pace for 17th/18th in a normal season. But with Brighton already on 38 pts the bar to survive is surprisingly high this season, could be over 40pts which hasn't happened for a long time.
But if Newcastle only had 34 points, they’d still be mathematically safe now.

I've written above about Burke and Brewster. Now I'll tackle Mousset.

Lys Mousset has featured in 41 league games for us, but crammed 90 to 95 per cent of his achievements into the first 11 games, between September and November 2019. These games featured:

• a lively cameo at Chelsea, where he had a hand in the own goal equaliser
  • the second goal at Everton
  • the winner against Arsenal
  • the equaliser at West Ham
  • a hand in all 3 goals against Burnley
  • the second goal against Man Utd, and a big hand in the first
  • the opening goal at Wolves

A couple of thoughts about this spell:

- I had the Everton goal in my mind before watching this weekend's game there. I was thinking about how exciting that moment was. We had dug deep and held a tactically unimaginative and off form Everton at bay whilst taking the lead with a fluke goal. But that second goal, featuring Mousset's perfectly timed run onto Lundstram's through ball, accelerating past the defence and slipping the ball home as Pickford came out, was something we hadn't really seen before from our team that season, well as we had played: it was pure Premier League class. And on it went over the next 2 months or so.

- That rich spell of form from Mousset was vitally important: it secured points against good teams, and ensured that we were in great shape as Christmas approached. We were never really in relegation trouble and he played a big hand in that. As I have said elsewhere, this begs the question of whether the Mousset deal was good value for us. He has contributed nothing this season in the league. His most notably achievement is an awful miss against WBA. Some of his performances have been atrocious. He looks fat, unfit, has lost his pace, and has barely had a shooting chance. And yet there is an argument that 9 million quid is the going rate for 6 goals and a handful of assists these days, and at this point, we are playing with house money.

Mousset has been a waste of wages this year, but he is one of the reasons we were here for a second season. I should try to remember that when I criticise him.

So exciting! It's going to the wire!

One game to go, and one goal required to tie Derby and two (ha!) to avoid the embarrassment.

We tied the club record for low away goals - a mighty 8. This team equals the 2006-7 team, another group who couldn't score to save their lives.

Here's hoping Peacock-Farrell plays for Burnley on Sunday.

One game to go, and one goal required to tie Derby and two (ha!) to avoid the embarrassment.

We tied the club record for low away goals - a mighty 8. This team equals the 2006-7 team, another group who couldn't score to save their lives.

Don't think it matters what keepers are playing, majority of games we play could be goalie wag such is the pathetic number of efforts on target we have.

So this is it:

We need 1 goal to avoid the worse total and join Derby on 20 goals.

We need to avoid defeat to become the only team ever in Premier League history to lose 30 games in a season.....

Burnley have lost their last 4 home games, including shipping 7 in 2 games but away from home they are a tough nut to crack. Will the Blades be geed on by 5500 fans or will those fans be a hinderence!?!

Comeon Blades thats not have those unwanted records.

That Norris lad didnt look much cop last night either.

Most defeats in season: 3 clubs 29 - we have 29. 1 to play.

Fewest goals scored: Derby 20 - 19 with 1 to play.

🙄🙄🙄

Forty million pounds.

54 combined appearances.

One (fortuitous) goal.

Zero assists.

More questions than answers !

Lest we forget the lessons 😉👀.

UTB

Last edited:
I now turn to the fourth horseman of the goalscoring apocalypse, Oli McBurnie.

There are two Ollie McBurnies. There is the one you can see on the highlight reels on Youtube for Swansea. Energetic, pacy, getting in good positions, finishing well and regularly, a thorn in the side of Sheffield United....

And there is the other one. The one that plays for us. 7 goals in 59 league games. One in 23 this season. One good game in 10 (last season it was one in 5). Can't hold the ball up. Poor ball control when it matters. Makes poor in game decisions. Misses good chances. Heads at the keeper with alarming regularity. Has acquired the habits of committing stupid fouls at the start of the game (presumably under orders) and diving. It is said he needs good service but never seems to be where he should be when the ball comes in. He makes good defensive headers and wins the ball in the air quite well, though. If only he was within 20 yards of a teammate when he did it.

McBurnie may, however, be more self aware than would appear from some of the non-footballing headlines he generates. When Wilder went he said to him on Instagram "sorry we let you down in the end". Damn right you did.

Which McBurnie will we see next season?

Today's the day! Throw away your history books boys and girls because today is the day we rewrite history!!

Back
Top Bottom