Wes..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure why it's a debate.

One is here next season, the other won't be.

One has just seen the club spend a couple of million on a transfer fee, the other hasn't.

One has seen the manager call him his number 1, the other has seen him put various material on the internet which could be construed as a dig at the boss.

When both are available, one will play as an automatic choice, the other back up to the season end. I think it's obvious who is going to be the Wilder's automatic choice in between the sticks.

It sends out a message alright, on your toes and if you’re not committed to us then we’ll go with those that are. No resting on your laurels or being pulled along on the others coattails after a good performance. Each individual contributes and should be judged on that, Wes cost us points recently and wont be here next season.
Bullshit. I totally think he needed replacing, but you don’t drop the keeper after your first away win of the season.

Totally agree mate.

I guess my thoughts are we know what Wes is, and that's not really good enough, so what harm really giving Grbic a run.

Agree, not good enough for the PL, still a decent keeper though with the Championship more his level.
Also agree...Grbic needs a longer run, really poor start so far but it's too early to write him off.
However if Grbic continues looks poor then surely his place must be under pressure.

Wes needs to stay.. let’s be fair the amount of shots he’s faced pf course he’s gonna be poorer than last season, in which he performed well, of course with a better defence, Id like to extend his contract for the champ then let them fight for the first team spot.

One has just seen the club spend a couple of million on a transfer fee, the other hasn't.

One has seen the manager call him his number 1, the other has seen him put various material on the internet which could be construed as a dig at the boss.

When both are available, one will play as an automatic choice, the other back up to the season end. I think it's obvious who is going to be the Wilder's automatic choice in between the sticks.

These are all great and obvious reasons omitting one tiny thing: we'd quite like to not lose the next match... and he recently shipped 5 vs Brighton.

Bullshit. I totally think he needed replacing, but you don’t drop the keeper after your first away win of the season.
You’ve failed to explain why? Its not like he’s got a great partnership with the defence, there are no tangible reasons for sticking with Wes blindly in these circumstances.

These are all great and obvious reasons omitting one tiny thing: we'd quite like to not lose the next match... and he recently shipped 5 vs Brighton.
Did you miss the Villa league game or does that one not count, unlike the cup game you’ve chosen to use inorder to make your point?

Wes would not sign his new contract, so we had no choice than to move on. Wilder has ‘history’ of not letting players/agents dictate terms. The only one that contradicted that was Lundstrum…..which still baffles me.

I suspect that Wes is regretting that now, as I bet he will end up on a worse contract than we offered him - probably at a lower end Championship team next season.

Has Wes shown better form? I'd question that. He was in the net for our 8-0 against Newcastle and our 5-0 against Burnley too if we're talking scorelines. Plus a fuckload of errors.

Ivo's had 2 games, has a better pedigree and more importantly will be here long term. He has to play IMO, until we know whether he's actually good or average.
A couple of important points which I feel.you have overlooked, Ivo dives like an 86 year old with a dodgy hip and has the positional sense of a drunken Mexican

We are going to need another new keeper in the summer, Grbic will be a disaster in The Championship.. will cost us vital points

I'm just saying Grbic hasn't hit the ground running, and I've not actually seen him make a save yet., and you can understand having to face brighton again so soon could rattle his confidence.

I think it's a case of "better the devil you know" for now.
Sorry mate, I’m not following any of your logic.
Wes shipped 5 against Arsenal and Burnley and 8 against Newcastle.
I doubt Grbic is having panic flashbacks about Brighton in a cup match with a different defence.

Sorry mate, I’m not following any of your logic.
Wes shipped 5 against Arsenal and Burnley and 8 against Newcastle.
I doubt Grbic is having panic flashbacks about Brighton in a cup match with a different defence.

But.. you have seen Wes make a save right? You can't say that about Grbic currently.

Wes has been a solid keeper over a relatively successful spell for the club. Hope he gets to play out the season but I think that decision has been made at a club level regarding those who won't sign deals. That was the rumour with Berge as well.

I don't agree but if the club has a policy, they should stick to it I suppose

But.. you have seen Wes make a save right? You can't say that about Grbic currently.

Are you suggesting that Grbic has never made a save ever? I’ve personally never seen a lot of things, it doesn’t mean they haven’t happened. Honestly can’t understand the point you’re making here.

Are you suggesting that Grbic has never made a save ever? I’ve personally never seen a lot of things, it doesn’t mean they haven’t happened. Honestly can’t understand the point you’re making here.

I'm suggesting I currently have zero confidence in him and 4/10 confidence in wes. Happy if that situation changes in due course, but not straight after the Luton win.

You’ve failed to explain why? Its not like he’s got a great partnership with the defence, there are no tangible reasons for sticking with Wes blindly in these circumstances.
Probably because we won and he wasn’t at fault at all. It shouldn’t need explaining 😂

One is an attacker😉

I'm suggesting I currently have zero confidence in him and 4/10 confidence in wes. Happy if that situation changes in due course, but not straight after the Luton win.

I assume you had zero confidence in Grbic when he first signed for us then?

I assume you had zero confidence in Grbic when he first signed for us then?

It was low having observed a distinct lack of clean sheets for both atletico Madrid and Lille, abd then lower still having read the View From Lille. It's even lower now.. but it's still early days, things can change. I'd just prefer to blood him once we're 10+ points adrift and the pressure is off.

It was low having observed a distinct lack of clean sheets for both atletico Madrid and Lille, abd then lower still having read the View From Lille. It's even lower now.. but it's still early days, things can change. I'd just prefer to blood him once we're 10+ points adrift and the pressure is off.
Pressure to do what?

None of which are particularly useful ways to judge the quality of a keeper. Obviously the lack of clean sheets might suggest something but unless you’ve actually ‘observed’ them yourself, which I assume you haven’t and apologies if that’s not the case, then it’s very difficult to know whether the lack of clean sheets was the keepers fault or not. For example, Wes did very little wrong yesterday but because of a strange penalty decision from the referee he’s come away from the game without a clean sheet.

I can’t say I’ve looked into his previous career that much. What does his stats look like in terms of clean sheets?

The win yesterday was great but I think some people are getting a bit swept up with the positive vibes wanting Wes back in.

Nothing against him, he was a good servant to the club last season, but he has at least one heart in mouth moment every game. Even yesterday he dropped the ball in a dangerous position. We only got away with it because the ref gave a soft foul.

Have we forgotten about the errors against Bournemouth, Luton and Chelsea? Plus he’s been on the wrong end of batterings at Newcastle and Arsenal himself.

Plus I’ve never seen a keeper handle the ball outside the area or nearly outside the area as much as he does.

I’m sorry but he’s nowhere good enough for the Premier League and I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Grbic to say he’s worse.

Anyone know if Grbic will have been allowed to train whilst in the concussion protocol?

Probably because we won and he wasn’t at fault at all. It shouldn’t need explaining 😂
Ah right. It shouldn’t need explaining but it is being questioned, which undermines your logic somewhat.
Your case would have been strengthened if you’d just answered the question but the fact you’re claiming bullshit and dithering in deflection tells a different story.

Ah right. It shouldn’t need explaining but it is being questioned, which undermines your logic somewhat.
Your case would have been strengthened if you’d just answered the question but the fact you’re claiming bullshit and dithering in deflection tells a different story.

The idea that “you don’t change a winning team” is school boy stuff.

If Wilder thought that Grbic was the best option two games ago nothing that has happened since will have changed that.

None of which are particularly useful ways to judge the quality of a keeper. Obviously the lack of clean sheets might suggest something but unless you’ve actually ‘observed’ them yourself, which I assume you haven’t and apologies if that’s not the case, then it’s very difficult to know whether the lack of clean sheets was the keepers fault or not. For example, Wes did very little wrong yesterday but because of a strange penalty decision from the referee he’s come away from the game without a clean sheet.

I can’t say I’ve looked into his previous career that much. What does his stats look like in terms of clean sheets?
7 clean sheets in 42 appearances over the 21/22 and 22/23 seasons which is poor. He didn't play at all this season before joining us. Playing for Lille who won the title the season previous an Atletico Madrid so he had top defences in front of him. That said, he didn't concede loads either (45 in 42.. I like this stat!) so it's not all bad news.. I just wish he'd made a better first impression, hopefully he makes a much better 2nd impression.

Back
Top Bottom