Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Certain players said nothing at all when Chris Wilder left SUFC, thanks to Chris Wilder and best wishes were not universal.
When your boss departs having fallen out with the owner and board of the place you're still at, with an unknown new boss due in, perhaps you're a bit cautious about public messages of support and thanks for the man who can no longer back you up.

People are saying it is honest, he is genuine, it sheds light on it, etc. There is an assumption by many people that what they are hearing is the complete truth and they now have a more-or-less full understanding of what went on. I am pointing out that this person has form when it comes to being underhand and manipulative in a situation (at the same club no less) where opposing views/goals/desires are at play.

"to slate him"? I don't think you understand my point. I am suggesting that this may not be the purest truth from an honest and genuine man who is as white as the driven snow. People are taking this as gospel and surely if there's one thing we have learnt, it's we shouldn't be quick to trust our owners (or any football club owner).

It's entirely possible to believe that someone is telling the truth in one situation while being capable of sharp practices in another. This interview has the ring of truth about it because it fits with what could be seen happening at the club in the last year or so.

I did not say you mentioned anything about an NDA.
However, you did say that CW would obviously not be able to respond the these quite personal accusations.
Why can’t he?
I am sure he has more important things to do.
The club certainly needs to move on.

Wonder how much is set on Berge's release clause?

Ten bob and a packet of Quavers?

I'm hoping with him costing a reported £18.5m that it's at least £20m.

We've always been pretty decent at sell on clauses and pretty crap with release clauses, possibly due to said player holding all the aces if agreeing to sign

Of course Biggs is moaning, he's been reduced to tweeting opinion emails from McCabes mates.

He's so far out of the loop it's painful.
The Biggs interview on Talk Sport this morning was a painful and embarrassing listen I must say, I thought he came out with a complete load of crap tbh
He sounded like CW personal agent when he should have talked with impartiality and a balanced view from someone who knows so much about the club

The counter argument to that is what would you do if you found out your partner had negotiated to sell the Club to a third party for £80m behind your back when he was only offering you £5m for your 50% stake. As PA said Kevin McCabe was trying to screw me but got screwed.

Yes Justice Fancourt found the creation of the Third Party company was not within the spirit of the ISA but declined to award any damages to KM because PA had rectified the matter at a later date. Even then JF would still have found for PA if this hadn't occurred and awarded damages to the value of the Property Options.

As for the KM scenario I genuinely believe we would have been having these discussions 12 months earlier after CW walked out because Alan Pace at ALK had imposed his recruitment algorithm on him.
Except McCabe wasn't trying to screw the Prince with an underhand move that went against the spirit of the contract he'd signed. He tried to force his hand in the belief that he couldn't afford it. That's not underhand or screwing him, that's triggering the clause that both had agreed to. If I remember the timing correctly it was before promotion looked anything like probable and the Prince got lucky, having done something underhand to prolong the point of having to stump up until the money was in the club.
McCabe miscalculated. I would go so far as to say stupid. That doesn't change what the Prince did - sort of forgotten because he "won". My point in all this is to counter the readiness with which everything the Prince has just said as open, honest, genuine, throwing light on it, etc. etc.
I listed a few of the things that didn't seem to stack up for me. Could it be that it isn't all the straight forward truth some want it to be?

Just listened to the full interview.

The fact CW felt the club needed a “different voice” suggests he had the best interest of the club at heart.

The other issues seem like the age old story of someone not liking where the work anymore. It happens.

I’m no FBI interrogator but I didn’t get the impression PA was lying.

Genuinely feels to me like it was just the right time for CW to go for a number of reasons.

The foundations that CW has laid can allow us to build again. One step back, two steps forward sort of thing.

I’ll never forget the amazing journey and some of the frankly remarkable football we played.

However we’ve poor all season and roughly one third of last season as well.

Really looking forward to seeing what the new man can do with the core of the squad, the new faces he’ll add and the type of football we’ll see.

I wish CW all the best. It’s been emotional.

We go again.

Just listened to the full interview.

The fact CW felt the club needed a “different voice” suggests he had the best interest of the club at heart.

The other issues seem like the age old story of someone not liking where the work anymore. It happens.

I’m no FBI interrogator but I didn’t get the impression PA was lying.

Genuinely feels to me like it was just the right time for CW to go for a number of reasons.

The foundations that CW has laid can allow us to build again. One step back, two steps forward sort of thing.

I’ll never forget the amazing journey and some of the frankly remarkable football we played.

However we’ve poor all season and roughly one third of last season as well.

Really looking forward to seeing what the new man can do with the core of the squad, the new faces he’ll add and the type of football we’ll see.

I wish CW all the best. It’s been emotional.

We go again.

I listened to the interview, but I'm not sure where you got the impression PA was lying from?

I've loved CW's time at the Lane. It will never be forgotten

However, one thing that sits a little uncomfortable with me, if it is correct of course, is that I cannot understand how CW can be on £80k/week, resign and then demand £4m pay off. If this is a sacking, then that is different, but as PA says he has resigned, then that can't be right surely?

If you were a prospective manager and you saw PA’s public statement about the previous manager, after he has departed, what would you think?
I don't think it will make any difference . PA give his version of events. Nothing g inflammatory and probably in response to the rumours on Social Media (in particular from Wilder's mates like Wit and Biggs)which might have caused more damage

When your boss departs having fallen out with the owner and board of the place you're still at, with an unknown new boss due in, perhaps you're a bit cautious about public messages of support and thanks for the man who can no longer back you up.
Sharp's interview after the Leicester game struck me. Yes he was emotional and the interview may have been edited But when given an opportunity to put on record his appreciation of CW, he just said we had some good memories. As I say, it may have been edited but not exactly glowing praise from the club captain

I listened to the interview, but I'm not sure where you got the impression PA was lying from?

I've loved CW's time at the Lane. It will never be forgotten

However, one thing that sits a little uncomfortable with me, if it is correct of course, is that I cannot understand how CW can be on £80k/week, resign and then demand £4m pay off. If this is a sacking, then that is different, but as PA says he has resigned, then that can't be right surely?

One thing peaked my interest "Chris asked for £4 million we were astonished you are the one resigning why should we pay nearly one year of his salary when you are resigning" so he was paid more than £4m a year !!! He also mentioned then said in theory if the top player gets £50000 Chris gets a lot lot more than that. So it sounds about right.

He also said if they fired him his contract said he would get 15 months pay. I liked Chris Wilder but its all sounding a bit sour at the end. I know one side of the argument this is but why would he lie its on the internet for all to see. If its not true it makes PA in a very bad light.

Except McCabe wasn't trying to screw the Prince with an underhand move that went against the spirit of the contract he'd signed. He tried to force his hand in the belief that he couldn't afford it. That's not underhand or screwing him, that's triggering the clause that both had agreed to. If I remember the timing correctly it was before promotion looked anything like probable and the Prince got lucky, having done something underhand to prolong the point of having to stump up until the money was in the club.
McCabe miscalculated. I would go so far as to say stupid. That doesn't change what the Prince did - sort of forgotten because he "won". My point in all this is to counter the readiness with which everything the Prince has just said as open, honest, genuine, throwing light on it, etc. etc.
I listed a few of the things that didn't seem to stack up for me. Could it be that it isn't all the straight forward truth some want it to be?

I take your point about open honesty and being genuine. We are dealing with powerful businessmen here who don't get successful by constantly displaying all those virtues so I form the view that we have just one version of events now out in the open from the Prince.

McCabes actions in negotiating with ALK behind PA's back were referred to in Court. JF questioned KM's honesty as a consequence and that action together with his shocking performance in the witness box were contributory factors in JF finding for PA.

Triggering a clause in the ISA in the knowledge that you had not disclosed a third party interest to your partner for which you would gain significant financial advantage to their detriment is underhanded irrespective of the mechanisms contained within the ISA. They were equally devious when it came down to it. The Prince was just a better poker player.

Complete bollocks.

When I left my job with a bank having put them in a prominent place in my local market place and having made them a lot of money in the process not only did I not ask for a payoff but I had to sell up and down size my property to fund living expenses for myself and my family.

I'm not complaining about any of the above, they were all part of the choice that I made having fallen out of love with the business and having some real issues with my senior line management.

I can just picture the look on my manager's face if I'd asked for a good pay off to fund my decision.

If you decide to walk then you have to be willing to pay the price. Why on earth should anyone else subsidise you, least of all the employer you are walking away from?
The post above is the real world. I too had a very successful 4 years with a Big 4 Professional Services firm. I set up new operations in London and Dusseldorf and began with a third in Washington DC.

I am far from being in the first flush of youth, and one week in 4 in DC with grandchildren and an increasingly ailing mother was more than I could have coped with - so I went to my Directors and said that I would need to leave so that they could get somebody more able to work around the job demands.

They then suggested that I leave - but that I appoint a successor first and that I agree to 30 days a year consultancy to support the new guy. Turned out to be win-win, like most negotiations can, if both sides leave their egos at the door. I. got to leave - but my consultancy reduced the level of downsizing required to pay the bills.

If you read the recent article in The Athletic about managers’ mental health it is clear over the last few months that Chris needed a break. He needed advice to step away for a few months - having been assured and accepted what plans would be in place for next season’s assault.

The problem that you get in many walks of life is that with highly successful, driven people winning at everything is all-important and compromising is losing.

We have benefited enormously, riding on a wave of Chris’s passion and drive. He is financially secure through contracts and whatever settlement was finally agreed. He will get another club and/or become another media darling.

These have been the best years of my 50 years next month of going to Bramall Lane. I can only thank Chris and hope that he gets the high octane future that he deserves.

As ever - Magic can Work in Unusual Ways.

Sharp's interview after the Leicester game struck me. Yes he was emotional and the interview may have been edited But when given an opportunity to put on record his appreciation of CW, he just said we had some good memories. As I say, it may have been edited but not exactly glowing praise from the club captain
I think you're reading too much into it. He's hardly going to dive into the spat between his ex-boss and the owner of his club that still employs him. I also don't think post-match interviews with players ever yield thought-out opinions on anything serious anyway. I don't think you can glean anything either way from this sort of analysis.

I have no Dog in the fight, I’m not a Wikderism cultist who believed he could do no wrong and never be sacked, but I thought he should get at least three months next season to turn things around, there is no question he got things badly wrong this season, but should get some leeway based on his record the previous 5 years.

Having got that out of the way I will say that HRH actually comes off very well in that video, he sounds sensible and rational unlike some other owners I could mention nearby, (of course we have yet to hear CWs side of this)

Also talking a good game is only one side of the coin for The Prince, he has to back that up over the coming seasons with his actions at the club, making the correct appointment, supporting the new manager, improving the training facilities / Academy and the biggest threat of all keeping us at the Lane Once McCabe occupies the corners of the site.
Agree with a lot of that. Making the right appointment is the golden chalice though isn’t it? The rest he should honour as a custodian of the club as he’s said he is, the Prince not Chris 😊

People are saying it is honest, he is genuine, it sheds light on it, etc. There is an assumption by many people that what they are hearing is the complete truth and they now have a more-or-less full understanding of what went on. I am pointing out that this person has form when it comes to being underhand and manipulative in a situation (at the same club no less) where opposing views/goals/desires are at play.

"to slate him"? I don't think you understand my point. I am suggesting that this may not be the purest truth from an honest and genuine man who is as white as the driven snow. People are taking this as gospel and surely if there's one thing we have learnt, it's we shouldn't be quick to trust our owners (or any football club owner).
I don't see how you can arrive at your conclusions given the info available.

It was well known on here that CW didn't like Billy Sharp because Billy took all the adulation from the fans away from him.

I take your point about open honesty and being genuine. We are dealing with powerful businessmen here who don't get successful by constantly displaying all those virtues so I form the view that we have just one version of events now out in the open from the Prince.
Which is really all I'm trying to point out to those who are looking for a good guy - bad guy resolution from this video.

McCabes actions in negotiating with ALK behind PA's back were referred to in Court. JF questioned KM's honesty as a consequence and that action together with his shocking performance in the witness box were contributory factors in JF finding for PA.

Triggering a clause in the ISA in the knowledge that you had not disclosed a third party interest to your partner for which you would gain significant financial advantage to their detriment is underhanded irrespective of the mechanisms contained within the ISA. They were equally devious when it came down to it. The Prince was just a better poker player.
Yes but I'm only looking at it from the point of view of "is the Prince the straight up bloke some seem to think he is?" What KM got up to actually deflects from that question.
I'm not so sure the Prince is a better poker player, I think he got really lucky. What would he have done if he had to stump up and we were mid-table Championship? Where would the money have come from? McCabe could still have won.

Just think it’s a bit tin pot. Washing dirty laundry in public is never a good look IMHO.
Tbh Wilder did it on numerous occasions by stealth when he was making all those sly digs about the lack of this that and the other, Obviously aimed at the board.

I've just posted this on another thread but I'll post it here too:

A question for all those claiming the Prince is honest and genuine. How honest and genuine do you feel it was to secretly move shares into a newly formed paper company just to avoid a clause in a contract that he had previously signed in good faith? (And which was subsequently ruled to have been wrong in court)

I am not saying this should be the only measure that we should guage the Prince by, or necessarily use it as a stick to beat him with at every occasion, but surely it's a gentle warning to everyone to be a little wary?

I'll add a little provocation to that - those throwing everything behind the Prince, would you be saying the same things if Wilder had left and it was McCabe saying these things?

I don't want to come across as being anti-Prince, I've been fairly ok with his stewardship until this debacle, but shouldn't we be a little more cautious? Haven't we learnt from the past? Haven't we laughed at our neighbours when they bought into their great benevolent new leader?
But you are coming over VERY anti prince !

Back
Top Bottom