Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This comes a cross as two ambitious men who both wanted what’s best for this club but had irreconcilable differences in how to do that. One has left us in a very healthy position and some great years and memories the other must now make good decisions to help to realise his goals. I’m much more optimistic about next year today than I was yesterday onwards and upwards.

I believe everything the Prince has said here. Not once does he slag Wilder off. Barely discredits him at all. Just constructively points out that recruitment needed to be better. That’s called an appraisal by your gaffer. Even football managers have those and are answerable for their decisions.

Yes, Wilder will be entitled to his view at some point but I don’t see what there is to argue with. It seems pretty straight forward to me and based on what the Prince tells us.....

• Wilder wanted to resign since December
  • He has held on hoping to negotiate the payoff he wants
  • The owner didn’t want him to resign or to sack him
  • He’s left and they came to a settlement
  • Prince still had faith in him but wanted to review recruitment with Chris and come to a better working arrangement as £120m hadn’t been spent well

In a nutshell I think the manager was given full control of the job and painted himself into a corner. Has resigned to preserve his reputation. It’s understandable, at the point we reached I don’t blame him but I’m happy that the Prince has come out and defended both himself and the reputation of club, which was frankly being tarnished for the sake of preserving the re
Post of the day by a long chalk. Sums it up perfectly.

I don’t get the concept of resigning from a job and the company then have to pay YOU compensation.

I’m pretty sure if I were to resign I’d have to work a months notice to get a months salary and that‘d be it.
Depends. If the Company put you in a position where there was a breach of trust and confidence in your contract, then you could resign (or work under protest) and claim constructive unfair dismissal. In other words, actions that make your position untenable.

Name me one club that doesn't have recruitment team ? No club in the world has solely the manager picking signings
According to some of our fans we didn't have one. Wilder sat with a list of all the British players under 25 years old and threw a dart for who he wanted to sign.

It wasn’t actually an interview was it, the owner just made a series of statements and wasn’t challenged on any of them. He mentioned CW’s lawyer wanting £4m but wasn’t asked what the final settlement was...all that guff about not wanting to criticise CW got a bit ‘Brutus is an honourable man’ for me. Fair play though, he has got his version of events out there and we can all make our own minds up.

As you say, we haven’t learnt anything about the future but there was one cause for optimism. PA is a businessman and he wants to make money out of SUFC; as he said himself, you don’t make any money in the Championship. Hopefully they will all be going flat out to get us promoted next season.
The interviewer I suspect was intelligent enough to realise that it was not a question that could be asked. PA will be bound by the terms of the compromise settlement/NDA not to make reference to the actual amount. In a subtle way by mentioning CW initially asked for £4m he was letting the public know the settlement was less than this and not anywhere near the £7m that some media outlets have reported.

I've just posted this on another thread but I'll post it here too:

A question for all those claiming the Prince is honest and genuine. How honest and genuine do you feel it was to secretly move shares into a newly formed paper company just to avoid a clause in a contract that he had previously signed in good faith? (And which was subsequently ruled to have been wrong in court)

I am not saying this should be the only measure that we should guage the Prince by, or necessarily use it as a stick to beat him with at every occasion, but surely it's a gentle warning to everyone to be a little wary?

I'll add a little provocation to that - those throwing everything behind the Prince, would you be saying the same things if Wilder had left and it was McCabe saying these things?

I don't want to come across as being anti-Prince, I've been fairly ok with his stewardship until this debacle, but shouldn't we be a little more cautious? Haven't we learnt from the past? Haven't we laughed at our neighbours when they bought into their great benevolent new leader?

Some clear picture has been shed by the owner. Its sad that it came to this. The club has to move on from this now.

A question for all those claiming the Prince is honest and genuine. How honest and genuine do you feel it was to secretly move shares into a newly formed paper company just to avoid a clause in a contract that he had previously signed in good faith? (And which was subsequently ruled to have been wrong in court)

I am not saying this should be the only measure that we should guage the Prince by, or necessarily use it as a stick to beat him with at every occasion, but surely it's a gentle warning to everyone to be a little wary?

I'll add a little provocation to that - those throwing everything behind the Prince, would you be saying the same things if Wilder had left and it was McCabe saying these things?

I don't want to come across as being anti-Prince, I've been fairly ok with his stewardship until this debacle, but shouldn't we be a little more cautious? Haven't we learnt from the past? Haven't we laughed at our neighbours when they bought into their great benevolent new leader?

If you were a prospective manager and you saw PA’s public statement about the previous manager, after he has departed, what would you think?

No one is really claiming he's a saint though, are they? I think the strongest sentiment I've seen expressed about this interview is that it has the ring of truth and has maybe made a few people reconsider their whole-hearted support for Wilder's side of the narrative.

Reactions: SLB

If you were a prospective manager and you saw PA’s public statement about the previous manager, after he has departed, what would you think?
Possibly - "I can't believe they made him change his mind twice about resigning, even though the club hadn't won a game all season at that point".

I'd think he'd be a decent owner to work under, what with having public slating sessions aimed at him by the manager and local press for months and only now has he put across his side of the story in a pretty respectful and dignified way all things considered.

We're yet to hear Wilder's side but if everything the Prince has said is true, then I can't help feeling let down by Chris.
Sure, he must have been under enormous pressure given our results record and it can't have been nice having to face the press after every week and attempt not to say the same things over and over again.

However he was getting paid a lot to take that responsibility and ultimately when the chips were down, it appeared he wanted out, despite having the backing of the board and the majority of the fan base. He lead us to believe he was a fighter and you'd think after years of struggles at places like Halifax, he would have come through this and been there to lead our promotion challenge next season.

The Prince's views on our recruitment are revealing. I agree with him that we should have had more options rather than narrowly looking at one player, but it's interesting he said the board made 'recommendations' to the manager. One wonders how those 'recommendations' were sourced? Were they scouted using the clubs own resource or by another means? We'll never know if any of those recommendations would have made any difference.

Hopefully one day, we'll get to hear Wilder's version of events. I still wish him all the best and hope that one day he returns to the Lane and we can show our appreciation for the great times he gave us.

You have somewhat of a point, but if that's the only material you have to slate him for then it tells its own story.

Id imagine any legal team could pick apart anything slanderous or untruthful in this interview if they wanted to. Its on record now.

I don't think we'll hear any more.

I retract my previous comment.

I'd probably think that was a fair appraisal of his performance this season, it didn't take one iota away from what he's achieved overall. It would however make me realise that if I'm successful in getting this job, I'd better brush up on my recruitment flexibility and re- evaluate my team working skills.

The counter argument to that is what would you do if you found out your partner had negotiated to sell the Club to a third party for £80m behind your back when he was only offering you £5m for your 50% stake. As PA said Kevin McCabe was trying to screw me but got screwed.

Yes Justice Fancourt found the creation of the Third Party company was not within the spirit of the ISA but declined to award any damages to KM because PA had rectified the matter at a later date. Even then JF would still have found for PA if this hadn't occurred and awarded damages to the value of the Property Options.

As for the KM scenario I genuinely believe we would have been having these discussions 12 months earlier after CW walked out because Alan Pace at ALK had imposed his recruitment algorithm on him.

One other thing I will take is that PA is a proper football fan and comes across very knowledgeable and passionate, I couldn't help but think about the contrast with the baffled indifference you get from a certain Thai gentleman across the city.

I posted something similar in the Shoutbox earlier, you couldn’t imagine Mester Chanseeeeri saying anything football related, although he did once speak uncommon sense when he said:-

“Actually, Sheffield W*dnesday not that big” 🙂

No one is really claiming he's a saint though, are they? I think the strongest sentiment I've seen expressed about this interview is that it has the ring of truth and has maybe made a few people reconsider their whole-hearted support for Wilder's side of the narrative.
People are saying it is honest, he is genuine, it sheds light on it, etc. There is an assumption by many people that what they are hearing is the complete truth and they now have a more-or-less full understanding of what went on. I am pointing out that this person has form when it comes to being underhand and manipulative in a situation (at the same club no less) where opposing views/goals/desires are at play.

You have somewhat of a point, but if that's the only material you have to slate him for then it tells its own story.
"to slate him"? I don't think you understand my point. I am suggesting that this may not be the purest truth from an honest and genuine man who is as white as the driven snow. People are taking this as gospel and surely if there's one thing we have learnt, it's we shouldn't be quick to trust our owners (or any football club owner).

So, What difference would it make if we found out HRH was telling pokies ?
Would everybody
!/ stay away ?
2/ refuse to buy a season ticket ?.
3/ try to drive HRH out.?
4/ meet in the carpark and commit Harry Curry.?

Football is now big business and the business world is not about "who's the nice guy", it's all about who wins, and HRH is a winner, (ask Mr McCabe,)
And I can't remember us ever having one of those in charge in my life time, so lets just shut up sit back and see where it takes us........ :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom