Which season made you lose interest the most?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I know that a lot of people are gripped by every season we have and fair enough. But sometimes for me, other things in life have just got in the way and the occasional season has slipped by me. So I’m wondering - which season left you feeling disinterested, less likely/inclined to go and led to you looking up other things on the internet than our latest rumours?

For me, this season is a contender. I’m not thrilled with PL football and I’ve spent more than a month of the season on holiday. The games I have been to have seen us lose all four, shipping 18 goals and scoring just one. Not that I’m moaning - it’s been brilliant for years, but the players did appear to have given up in a few of those games.

The championship relegation season was another, but I was living in Australia making games impossible to attend and nigh on impossible to watch. I was oddly regularly there during League One.

Will you risk your Bladey credentials to admit that there’s a year or two where you weren’t that fussed?
I had borderline started to give up with this season. The Wolves game reignited my interest, not because we won but because we battled until the end. During the Covid season, I completely gave up from January onwards, it wasn't the same watching it on TV every week & we played awful.

The Adkins season is 2nd for me. I missed shit loads of games that season purely due to lack of interest. I always remember us beating Crewe 3-2 at The Lane with a late winner and I didn't leave my seat because I was so disinterested. Definitely the closest I've been to packing it in. I wasn't angry when we lost or really happy when we won. Horrible feeling.
Only time I was out of my seat that season was after it ended, I was one of the hardy few who stayed for the Lap of Shame so I could bollock every player to their face.

Only time I was out of my seat that season was after it ended, I was one of the hardy few who stayed for the Lap of Shame so I could bollock every player to their face.
I stayed till the end, never known blades turn on their team and particularly their manager like that, think it was rock bottom (I hope!)

I detest modern football. Its money that buys glory and money brings false support.

I have been falling out of love with football for a long time as the money and media have taken it over it is no longer the game I fell in love with as a kid
These comments are so true. Money now rules. More so now than ever.
If you don't have wealthy owners success is hard to get. Simply because when less wealthy teams unearth a gem ( Ndiaye springs to mind) the rich teams snap them up. You only have to look at the subs benches in the top six to see this.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Robson season. I remember saying at the time, if he's still here when renewals are on I won't renew. I thought his style of play was dire.

This season is not a good feeling.
The inevitable knowledge that after selling two 'quality ' players ( one being of inconsistent 'quality' I know) two weeks before the season began, you just knew an up hill struggle was coming. And so it has come to pass.
But there's always hope. And it's the hope that kills you!

Football is no longer a game for the masses. It's a game for the elite.

COVID was the start of it all, but that just happened to coincide with other factors. The Wilder effect is probably the biggest one, because like it or not, it just isn't as good to be a blade now. Then there's the fact that the Premier League is becoming a joke for clubs outside the top few, compounded by our ownership situation which means we're even further behind budget-wise. Then on a personal level I've also had kids in that timeframe.

I still go to games but it's just not the same, and I don't watch any other football at all now except for Sheffield United and England. That COVID season made me realise I don't actually like watching football on TV, I just did it out of habit.

Last season was the one where it really hit home though. In terms of interest and enjoyment it was way down my list of favourite seasons, despite me only seeing three promotions to the top flight (that I'm old enough to remember). That season has left me wondering whether I'll ever have the same love for it.

Hard to say for me when it comes to United. Whilst I never completely lose interest in us, it does tend to peak and trough depending on how well we are doing. Understandably, I am a bit hot and cold at the moment.

What is much clearer however, is how much I have lost interest in the sport generally. United apart, I literally do not watch anyone else play now. Watching a mid week or Friday evening Championship game on TV used to be a real highlight for me, and was hardwired into my viewing habits. The same with PL weekend games.

No longer. I fucked Sky Sports off about 18 months ago and haven't missed it once.

Has to be the Atkins era for me. Bury away, when we had zero attacks. I didn't even go when we played at Spotland, 5 minutes walk from my house. A far cry from the days when a 400 mile round trip was something I would not even think about. Thank god for Wilder.

I was a season ticket holder until 2013-2014. I remember leaving the 1-1 draw with Oldham on boxing day at half time. I'd just had enough. Left the country in the 2015-2016 season having taken a real break from united, just ignored everything about the team, results etc.

Then decided to watch some matches on ifollow from October 2016 onwards whilst living away. The wilder years really made me feel that the club, team and fans were at one again and it gave me a nice warm tingly feeling and it got me back into it.

Makes me seem like a glory hunter but I've been there through some absolute shite.

David Weir, just can’t remember it. Adkin’s. This season. Probably in reverse order! I loved the season in division 4, shows my age I’m afraid.

Adkins season, and to emphasise, the Adkins season.

It’s the Blades that keep me interested in football though, otherwise my interest in football in general (over and both beer and company at local non-league) continues to diminish.

Hard to say for me when it comes to United. Whilst I never completely lose interest in us, it does tend to peak and trough depending on how well we are doing. Understandably, I am a bit hot and cold at the moment.

What is much clearer however, is how much I have lost interest in the sport generally. United apart, I literally do not watch anyone else play now. Watching a mid week or Friday evening Championship game on TV used to be a real highlight for me, and was hardwired into my viewing habits. The same with PL weekend games.

No longer. I fucked Sky Sports off about 18 months ago and haven't missed it once.
Thinking of ditching sky myself tbh, too woke as well

Thinking of ditching sky myself tbh, too woke as well

I think I got rid just before they started picking pundits based on quotas. That being said most of the old mob were shite as well.

I stayed till the end, never known blades turn on their team and particularly their manager like that, think it was rock bottom (I hope!)

Made what happened the following season all the sweeter though.

After the hopeless 4-0 home defeat to Sunderland under Steve Bruce. I didn’t stay away completely but my enthusiasm didn’t improve again until Warnock took over.

Since lockdown never really got the mojo back, coupled with buying a home for kids sne me and cost of living sky high means I can't afford to go as often, but it doesn't really bother me, maybe it's cos I've given the ale up. Maybe it'll come back one day.
Ha thats a shame mate but i should imagine there are a few in the same boat . A lot of families are having to decide whats important financially and get their priorities sorted . May be one day things will be a bit better for you soon . They say one of those dodgy sticks could be a cheap alternative for you ,not that i would condone it of course .

1980/81 and 1982/83. I was playing football regularly on Saturdays and often didnt bother going to midweek matches if I was free in the evening. Not sure which one was the least games I went to in a season
What did you look up on the Internet?

81/82 season. Disgrace being in fourth division. Completely lost interest until 1989

First time I was old enough (i.e. well into my 20's and not full of blind optimism) to be completely pissed off was 85/86 and the Porterfield replacing Keith Edwards with Peter Withe season. What a fools errand that season turned into and spoiled a nicely crafted legacy he had built over the first four seasons he'd been in charge.
That disaster continued, indeed gathered pace, until Bassett turned everything around with the Deane/Agana season.

As already mentioned Adkins/Covid seasons were other spectacular lows!

Adkins's season almost did for me, I gave away my season ticket with 3 games to go. Some have said to me that it can't have been as bad as the season that we were relegated to Division 4 but for me it was even if the end result wasn't as bad. Just mind numbingly boring every game and by the end the atmosphere at the Lane was getting plain toxic. Zero enjoyment, zero effort, zero hope and a happy clappy manager who should have stuck to Physiotherapy!

The fact that this post exists says it all.

I've started going to Barnet games with my two youngest and we always go in the away end, you mix with real committed proper fans. No glory hunters at the Solihull match but the support was top notch.

I've had a better time there than at the lane this season. It's not just the losing, it runs deeper than that. I stayed at my parents at the weekend and went to york v hartlepool on the Saturday. I really enjoyed it, felt like proper football, made me feel sentimental almost.

Going to barnet v oldham tomorrow and chose wealdstone v barnet over bournemouth at the weekend, even though we've season tickets. My eldest two are going to sheffield (they live in durham & manchester) but they don't enjoy it as much either.

Regardless of where we finish we won't renew for next season, we're wasting too much money not going. I never thought I'd feel so apathetic about United. Or is it the PL / modern football that has caused this?

Even coming on here is a chore. There used to be lots of funny and witty posts, or sensible debates but recently it's all just rather dull.

Around 2011 when we went down to league 1. Micky Adams took charge and we had Bogdanovic or whatever his name was the big poor man's Henderson upfront and I just knew we was heading into obscurity.

The fact that this post exists says it all.

I've started going to Barnet games with my two youngest and we always go in the away end, you mix with real committed proper fans. No glory hunters at the Solihull match but the support was top notch.

I've had a better time there than at the lane this season. It's not just the losing, it runs deeper than that. I stayed at my parents at the weekend and went to york v hartlepool on the Saturday. I really enjoyed it, felt like proper football, made me feel sentimental almost.

Going to barnet v oldham tomorrow and chose wealdstone v barnet over bournemouth at the weekend, even though we've season tickets. My eldest two are going to sheffield (they live in durham & manchester) but they don't enjoy it as much either.

Regardless of where we finish we won't renew for next season, we're wasting too much money not going. I never thought I'd feel so apathetic about United. Or is it the PL / modern football that has caused this?

Even coming on here is a chore. There used to be lots of funny and witty posts, or sensible debates but recently it's all just rather dull
Why go in the away end? I would have thought the folk who choose to support Barnet over Arsenal or Spurs must be "real committed proper fans" too. So you don't actually go to support Barnet at all, just go into the away end to show off that you are actually Sheffield United fans but are slumming it with the lower pyramid commoners ;)

I've watched United in all four divisions but this season has got me wondering whether to renew my season ticket for next season. On the other hand should we be relegated at least the football will be better in the Championship along with more games per season.
From what I have seen so far the Premier league is just a bore fest of possession football and teams not doing any attacking until they get a breakaway. There is no longer any tackles allowed the only contact is shirt pulling and wrestling at corner kicks. No one seems sure of the rules of the game any more and that includes the Referee's and linesmen and that's before VAR get involved to stop the game flowing. To me it is blatantly obvious the big clubs get every decision in their favour it has always been so but this season is worse than it ever has been. It seems to me just having a country or multi billionaire owner is not enough these top clubs want everything in their favour referee's included. I'm also sick to death of kick off times being changed for TV, I don't want to be going to games that kick off at 8:00pm as it means I don't get home until around 11:30pm. Where is this good for schoolkids on a Monday night when they have to be up for school next morning? I hate games on Sunday whatever time they kick off.
I used to look forward to going to the games but what with daft kick off times and a game heavily weighted towards the big spending clubs giving any promoted teams little chance of competing it is becoming more of a chore than an enjoyment especially when it is pissing down with rain or freezing cold, may as well join the TV audience keep warm and dry, save a shit load of money and keep my stress levels down when I see blatant cheating diving and feigning injury from wankers like our visitors on Saturday Bournemouth who would be nowhere near this level without a billionaire behind them.

I’m 21 (22 on Saturday) and been going regularly for the past 14/15 years. Missed about 10 games since Adkins era. No idea if it’s blind faith or just a way of life going now. Don’t think I’ll ever stop going as I get real FOMO. Lost interest in the Adkins season and covid season big time though.

I'll watch Sheff Utd every week but very little football otherwise until the end of the season when it gets to the latter stages of the Champions League, FA Cup etc.

Even the Champions League has lost an awful lot of its shine in recent years and seems to be getting worse.

Its bad when you're hoping Man Utd get taken over by the Qatari's just to bring some competition back into the PL.
Manchester City's dominance has been terrible for the Premier League. It's almost as bad as the Bundesliga.
Nobody will get near them again this season and I'd be surprised if they don't win the CL again.

I had two or three seasons in the last 90s/early 2000s where my attendance dwindled, mainly due to working away from home for long periods. 1999/2000 and 2000/01 I only attended a handful of games. The other season I lost interest was 2010/11 and plenty of Saturdays would see me go to town to go to the match and not even get out of the pub.

As I’ve got older and wiser, I don’t seem to get over excited when times are good, or too angry and pissed off when stuff doesn’t go our way. I just accept it for what it is. I’ve developed a theory that when times are good, I go for the football and the time spent with family and friends at the match is secondary but when times aren’t as good I go because it’s a social event I enjoy and the football is an accessory to that.

I‘ve really enjoyed the last few seasons more (Covid excepted) as I go to the matches with my teenage son and it is the thing we do together,

Back
Top Bottom