Executive management

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's easy to say that without seeing the day to day running of the club. I'm certain PH has mentioned that he leads on transfer negotiations, bet he has overall responsibility for all of the budgets and will set strategic direction for all areas of the club. l'm sure he has lots of areas of responsibility.

To be clear I'm not saying he does any of it well, we seem to be badly managed in every area except for the management of the squad. Fan experience seems very low on the agenda of the club, ticketing, kits, match day catering, open days gone, very little happens that isn't completely necessary and what does happen seems disjointed and poorly coordinated.
Funny really the guy doing a great job the manager will be the guy who gets the sack when things goes tits up .As you say only part of the club which is running well .

I love the uneducated fools slagging the board at any opportunity. Without the fantastic ownership, constantly putting money into the club and not making a single penny or a single selfish decision we wouldn’t have a club. Meanwhile Steve bettis has managed us through a crisis superbly. Again, with a lesser CEO we wouldn’t have a club.

Anyway keep slagging until one day we go bust.
Never change United fans

I love the uneducated fools slagging the board at any opportunity. Without the fantastic ownership, constantly putting money into the club and not making a single penny or a single selfish decision we wouldn’t have a club. Meanwhile Steve bettis has managed us through a crisis superbly. Again, with a lesser CEO we wouldn’t have a club.

Anyway keep slagging until one day we go bust.
Never change United fans

Ironic or what?

Genuinely don’t mind Bettis. Come across well at Press Conferences. No idea of his efficacy, really.

100% agree . WTF has this bloke being doing while shit has hit the fan (fans) Feel sorry for Hecky . Stealing a wage IMO

We have nobody in senior management who knows what 'good' looks like in how to run a premier league football club in this day and age.

The only real way to change that is to headhunt someone from a top premiership side who understands what structure you need in place to be successful. Someone who will tell the owner how it is and what we need to do to progress to the next level.

Until we do that we will continue to be run like a first division team
Who would leave a job with a top PL club and join a club who within 10 months could be in the Championship ?
Maybe get someone in who knows how to run a company with a turnover exceeding £100m, leaving in place those already here who know a reasonable amount about running a football club.

I reckon that, at the very heart of the shitshow that has been our preparation for a return to the PL, sits Stephen Bettis. The Prince cops a lot of flack, some of it well-deserved, some of it less so. But I’d have thought that much of the failure to prepare for this season, sits squarely with Bettis. We read a lot about how well-managed clubs, such as Brighton, are planning 4-5 transfer windows in advance. How they maximise the on-sale value of their squad. How they are rigorous and targeted in their recruitment. These are all strategic and medium-term management issues - areas which sit with the Chief Executive. Of course, he can’t make Ndiaye or Berge sign if they don’t want to. But for crying out loud, these issues did not jump out from behind a bush with just days to go before the new season! Even the very basics - having agreements for replacement in place BEFORE announcing the departures to the world - weren’t done, so ratcheting up the prices we needed to pay.
The squad needs new blood for sure, but if I were the Prince, or any new owner, I’d be looking beyond the playing and coaching staff, and installing professional and competent executive management.

What’s Bettis done wrong you crackpot

If anything Bettis wants a medal for putting up with the shitshow behind the scenes

We planned to keep berge and ndiaye then Poundland prince sold them on a whim as if they were fantasy football transfers

And now we are pissing about signing a replacement

There’s a lot of supposition on this thread. I don’t think Bettis is faultless but there’s a lot of speculation about the inner workings and approval channels of the club.

A company of £100m+ t/o in any other industry would probably be fairly stable and staff up accordingly, we can go from sub £30m to £150m with a good or bad season or two on the pitch. It’s hard to scale up/down quickly on the admin side accordingly. Must be a nightmare to run.
Contractors would help get around that risk though and you could bring in some expertise. Get them on a fixed term deal.

Maybe we do that. Like you say, we don’t really know.

It’s difficult to comment when we don’t no what their scope is.

Whatever it is, it hasn’t been done with the urgency required this window. I’ve never known us enter a season with seemingly so much still to do.

Some is getting done but are we so confident that we will write off 10% of the season while we get our ducks in line?

Agree....not sure how anyone can be strongly blamed when we don't know the true story.
As mentioned......the buck stops with the Prince.

However the Prince would probably provide the excuse.....that he has sold the club so as you would expect took his eye off the ball.
Bettis could use the excuse.....we've identified targets and done preliminary work before the season ended
but until we knew the budget then nothing could be done with any authority.
So there probably are some....part valid excuses.

However the criticism is still fair......it's quite incredible that we're still in pre-season....with a severely weaker team than last season.
Strange that the national media have no awareness of this. All the Palace fans and experts were expecting a really tough game at Bramall Lane last week
and post match they think they played really well.....however they have no awareness that altho the defence was reasonably strong we put out a reserve side.

Ironic or what?

No nuance of thought.
It's the fashion these days...comes from social media....massive exaggeration and controversy gets attention and clicks.
So everything is either great (the best ever) or terrible (the worse ever)
What label are we going to stick on the Prince this week?

As ever the truth lies somewhere in between.

We’ve no idea what he does or what he has to do in order to keep the club functioning.

I’d argue based on what’s in the public domain that he’s trying to keep a business going with no money that’s in a permanent holding pattern while the owner is trying to sell up.

A family member was recently in the same position at a small business. Owner had other businesses and spent a lot of time on holiday etc. Was working all hours god sends, phone never off etc just to keep the lights on. Was obvs getting paid but still a tricky situation to be in and deliver a good end product for the punters.

I think most opinions on Bettis are based on the fact he’s from the south.

I believe the majority of us haven’t a clue how the infrastructure of our club works and is Bettis really as bad as some are painting
No I’d say he’s not and is doing his best in a tricky spot. Still we should be trying to get one or two more people in to help him out and one should definitely be on the football side of things

Back
Top Bottom