Underwhelming

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think there is something more than just a loss of confidence or relegation hangover, nothing changed under Hecky, nothing has changed under Slav, despite the usual everyone has a clean slate etc
You got to remember that we over achieved in our first season in PL. Our formation was an advantage as other teams had not come across the overlapping centre halves. Second season we were figured out plus a few injuries. Also Fleck and Norwood are on the wane. Hence the need for reinforcements.
Up front we are like a UN peace keeping force...can't fire a shot....we dont have an effective pairing and each player has limitations.The older ones are past it. And the younger ones are showing nothing.
It's like the perfect storm.
Slav is trying to play differently but unless reinforcements arrive it's going to be mid table at the very best.

You got to remember that we over achieved in our first season in PL. Our formation was an advantage as other teams had not come across the overlapping centre halves. Second season we were figured out plus a few injuries. Also Fleck and Norwood are on the wane. Hence the need for reinforcements.
Up front we are like a UN peace keeping force...can't fire a shot....we dont have an effective pairing and each player has limitations.The older ones are past it. And the younger ones are showing nothing.
It's like the perfect storm.
Slav is trying to play differently but unless reinforcements arrive it's going to be mid table at the very best.
Only thing, I would disagree with is the figured out part, I don't think we were, losing JOC was the issue, none of those, that were tried in his role, came close to filling it, in attack or defence, very easy to counter one overlapping fullback, Basham, you know the threat is restricted to one flank, add in Enda, Flecks injuries loss of form and easy as usual with hindsight but even the first game of last season, losing to Wolves, there was an air of resignation about the team, they never once looked either shocked or surprised at losing

Every new system in any sport gets about 3 years being effective before its impact lessens as others figure out ways to counteract it.
Last season other teams attacked us more quickly on the counter and moved the ball through the middle quite a bit. They also boxed us off in the corners as we only attacked down the flanks and if held up we go back down the pitch and across and up the other side.
We only moved the ball though the centre in only a couple of occasions last season. So yes while other issues were there. I believe that our system of playing was rendered ineffective as other teams knew how to cope with and counteract it.

I think there is something more than just a loss of confidence or relegation hangover, nothing changed under Hecky, nothing has changed under Slav, despite the usual everyone has a clean slate etc

It does seem that way, but it's hard to pinpoint what it could be.

Personally I think the loss of JOC (and him not being 100% before that) is still a major factor. Without his commanding presence we have basically lost all effectiveness in attack on our left hand side, and still struggle to defend crosses properly, which has undermined the rest of the defence's confidence.

Davies has big shoes to fill, and in time I think he will be an excellent player for us. JOC however, was a colossus, our version of Van Dyke basically, and look how shit Liverpool were without him, in spite of the other players they had.

It does seem that way, but it's hard to pinpoint what it could be.

Personally I think the loss of JOC (and him not being 100% before that) is still a major factor. Without his commanding presence we have basically lost all effectiveness in attack on our left hand side, and still struggle to defend crosses properly, which has undermined the rest of the defence's confidence.

Davies has big shoes to fill, and in time I think he will be an excellent player for us. JOC however, was a colossus, our version of Van Dyke basically, and look how shit Liverpool were without him, in spite of the other players they had.
I agree re JOC, and Enda, Fleck haven't looked anything like the same players since he has been out, I mistakenly thought Lundstroms departure would make a huge difference, suspected (wrongly it now appears) his refusal to sign a contract, starting most games despite obvious lack of effort etc was the big issue that no one in the team wanted to admit.
Whats also surprising there has been no reaction, like let's do this for JOC, or even let's do this for CW, at some point there is a trigger, we have all seen examples over the years, ref sends someone off, opposition player commits a really bad tackle etc We have had loads from the ghost goal to getting bullied at WBA, nothing seems to reach the players, Egan, Bash can all do interviews and say we have to do better, someone has to go in and shock them out of whatever is holding them back.

I agree re JOC, and Enda, Fleck haven't looked anything like the same players since he has been out, I mistakenly thought Lundstroms departure would make a huge difference, suspected (wrongly it now appears) his refusal to sign a contract, starting most games despite obvious lack of effort etc was the big issue that no one in the team wanted to admit.
Whats also surprising there has been no reaction, like let's do this for JOC, or even let's do this for CW, at some point there is a trigger, we have all seen examples over the years, ref sends someone off, opposition player commits a really bad tackle etc We have had loads from the ghost goal to getting bullied at WBA, nothing seems to reach the players, Egan, Bash can all do interviews and say we have to do better, someone has to go in and shock them out of whatever is holding them back.

That final paragraph absolutely nails it mate, and lays out perfectly why a lot of supporters have come to the conclusion that some of this squad have stopped caring, which is something that I never, ever thought I would say about some of them.

Underwhelmed, overwhelmed
What will it be?
We weren't signing anyone
Now we've signed three

Making good use
Of the system of loans
And now in our pants we've got
Big fucking bones.

Doo de doo de doo, dum di dum di dumdy dumdy....
3 ? 🤔

Got MGW , disappointed missed out on Collado, Dembele and Karamoh.

Did we bring in enough creativity.. hmm not sure

Got MGW , disappointed missed out on Collado, Dembele and Karamoh.

Did we bring in enough creativity.. hmm not sure
Don't think we were actually in for Dembele. Darren Mcanthony said they had no contact from us about him.

Not ideal but Jota and Jordan Ibe both still available on a free so can be signed on short term deals. And rumours Spanish clubs been given longer to submit paperwork due to technical problems in Spain

I'm OK with the window. I'm fine with Olsen. We've sorted out LCB. Conor looks a solid 7/10 signing. MGW may be a bit of a coup. Also, despite sentiment on here, keeping Berge is a happy surprise for me.

On the minus side, Vieira would have been cracking to boss the midfield, all the incomings are loans and we look light on the flanks.

I'll cut the recruitment team a bit of slack. It looks like we genuinely tried in the areas we needed but it doesn't always pan out. On balance, I think we are stronger now than at the end of last season.

I'll cut the recruitment team a bit of slack. It looks like we genuinely tried in the areas we needed but it doesn't always pan out. On balance, I think we are stronger now than at the end of last season.
Looks like a botched effort to me. Not doing due diligence on Visa etc. is gross incompetence

Looks like a botched effort to me. Not doing due diligence on Visa etc. is gross incompetence
You're right to an extent - particularly the French lad. Can't lay the blame for Vieira with the recruitment team and they do seem to have somehow convinced Olsen to sign in the end. If we had landed one of the wingers I'd be thinking we'd had a good window (albeit making us a bit over reliant on loans).

On the basis that Slav plays with two wingers and we have one winger in the club, who isn't wanted, I'd say that not signing any wingers is a bit of a problem! Hopefully the centre midfield will now be more attacking and will compensate, I'd really like to see Slav play with a number 10 Duffy role as this seem the only answer unless we sign free transfer wingers.

On the basis that Slav plays with two wingers and we have one winger in the club, who isn't wanted, I'd say that not signing any wingers is a bit of a problem! Hopefully the centre midfield will now be more attacking and will compensate, I'd really like to see Slav play with a number 10 Duffy role as this seem the only answer unless we sign free transfer wingers.
We can play freeman and Brewster as wingers, don’t understand why Slav hasn’t done it yet, hopefully he will now knowing the wingers he wanted fell through…

Back
Top Bottom