Transfer targets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The problem with UW is they are trying to copy models (Chelsea, Man City) that are purely money making schemes. The owner club sends players to the feeder clubs to build up their value. They then sell them and recycle the funds. It works because the owner club youth teams are full of players good enough to play for the feeder clubs.

That's not the case here. The Belgian first division (and second division) is eons ahead of the level Uniteds U23s play at.

So the plan was supposed to be that Beerschot is the training ground for foreign signings to then move to United. Literally nobody in world football does this. Reason being it wouldn't work without massive oversight from the parent club. You'd even need to match tactics and formation. Let's be honest, who'd want to support what is ostensibly a reserve teamfor a parent club in another country.

It's absolute amateur hour. They are jyst playing at it to hide their lack of funds and, more importantly lack of any sort of plan or football knowledge.

Fingers crossed both United and Beerschot can get out of this mess sooner rather than later.
The biggest benefit is scouting with the UW group, but I'm not even convinced we share intel. Is Shankland? the only British player they've signed? We signed Berge from Belgium but nothing from France. And given the level which the players now need to be at, unlikely.

It just feels as though no one has thought this through. And again, it doesn't work in a post-Brexit world unless we're a EPL club and both Beerschot and Chateauroux are both doing well in their country's top division.

It would make sense to dump us and buy a German or Dutch team.

I’d assume it would be possibly for the kids to visit here on a short term basis providing they weren’t intending to stay
school trips? Yep. Loan? no. You'd need a visa for a loan.

The biggest benefit is scouting with the UW group, but I'm not even convinced we share intel. Is Shankland? the only British player they've signed? We signed Berge from Belgium but nothing from France. And given the level which the players now need to be at, unlikely.

It just feels as though no one has thought this through. And again, it doesn't work in a post-Brexit world unless we're a EPL club and both Beerschot and Chateauroux are both doing well in their country's top division.

It would make sense to dump us and buy a German or Dutch team.
It's like they sat round and said "wtf can we do. Shall we try what City do?"

It's like they sat round and said "wtf can we do. Shall we try what City do?"
It kind of worked when we were both in our top flights in the EU. Made more sense, but we used it terribly by sending two young players out there who were nowhere near ready.

It's literally not benefited either us or Beerschot on the pitch.

It kind of worked when we were both in our top flights in the EU. Made more sense, but we used it terribly by sending two young players out there who were nowhere near ready.

There doesn't seem to be any real link

school trips? Yep. Loan? no. You'd need a visa for a loan.
So a camp/tournament style event would be possible to help integrate the lads but we’re unlikely to take any Beerschot youngsters on loan anyway as things stand.

So a camp/tournament style event would be possible to help integrate the lads but we’re unlikely to take any Beerschot youngsters on loan anyway as things stand.
I'd guess that is possible but do we even both play the same way? I'm also assuming that their youth team will be significantly below ours in terms of quality.

I'd guess that is possible but do we even both play the same way? I'm also assuming that their youth team will be significantly below ours in terms of quality.
It would be an interesting and fun little camp I think send a few age groups maybe under 14s upward for a week in the summer make mixed teams (in terms of club not age) in the various age groups out of the players from the three academies and play a few games alongside some joint training sessions. Not saying it would bring their development on leaps and bounds but it would be a chance for the lads to bond with each other being away from home and to meet other players and coaches within the group so that hopefully if any do end up being loaned between the teams a few years down the line it’s not a completely strange environment. Stuff like that and summer friendlies between the senior teams would seem like relatively low effort low expense ways of at least looking like we’re operating like a group of clubs.

If they wanted to be more ambitious they could invite other academy teams from the host area to play an actual small friendly tournament.

Last edited:
Looks like Burnley are favourites to sign Twine and Ballard which will be disappointing.

Housing problem is a simple supply/demand equation. Not only has supply minus demolitions failed to keep pace with population growth but demand has been boosted by artificially low interest rates. Not only have low rates made it easy for the buy to let brigade to borrow but has also made the rental yield look attractive versus the risk free rate.

The way to solve this is to increase housing supply, in particular price capped social/affordable housing and make the rental market less attractive to landlords through penalizing second mortgages and more heavily taxing rental income. However that would see a glut of sales putting downward pressure on prices. Good for first time buyers but a potential negative equity problem for more recent buyers
I dread to think what will happen to the younger couples when interest rates go back to normal like they were when us older guys bought their homes . They used to be around 8 or 9 % even went up to 15 for a short time. Hope it never happens but if it did God help them having loaned big amounts.

Saying in football I hate most;" I like to get my business done early so we can have a full pre-season".
Never happens to the Blades , we are always last to the buffet table and end up with the last dumpling in the pot.
Been going on since the fax machine joke, what year was that? . You are spot on , another disappointment in the transfer window of Sheffield United.
Well I did not expect anything else I don't like to say but I have said what was going to happen on here a long time ago and got shot down for it. We have bought our season tickets in anticipation after being told of the plans to allow our manager to invest in the team so he can plan for the up coming season and have the new guys in place for a good pre season training program . Some good players were being lined up some commanding fees some frees but as usual the next thing we know has happened they have signed for other championship clubs repeating whats happened for the last 3 years. Well this guy has not renewed and won't until we start going forward again . At the moment we are going backwards . We have parachute payments we have the biggest gates in the championship great season ticket sales and we can't afford to get free agents on board . God help other lesser clubs how do they cope?

It would be an interesting and fun little camp I think send a few age groups maybe under 14s upward for a week in the summer make mixed teams (in terms of club not age) in the various age groups out of the players from the three academies and play a few games alongside some joint training sessions. Not saying it would bring their development on leaps and bounds but it would be a chance for the lads to bond with each other being away from home and to meet other players and coaches within the group so that hopefully if any do end up being loaned between the teams a few years down the line it’s not a completely strange environment. Stuff like that and summer friendlies between the senior teams would seem like relatively low effort low expense ways of at least looking like we’re operating like a group of clubs.

If they wanted to be more ambitious they could invite other academy teams from the host area to play an actual small friendly tournament.
There's that United World academy thing as well, whatever that is.

There's that United World academy thing as well, whatever that is.
I think we figured out, after some serious sleuthing, that it's basically a couple of rented pitches in a Swiss secondary school.

I'm surprised how fundamentally wrong those moves were.

At right back, they had Jerome Dom, who is about 32 and was one of the more established players. Backing him up was a mid 20s guy, who has been picked for his country. On the flip side they had no left back. Depending if any fancied it, this was one for Lowe, Norrington-Davies or even Boyes. Seriki had hardly any chance of being picked.

Broadbent had never played a senior game at all yet was somehow expected to compete or supplement two established players in Pietermaat, Sanusi, Coulibaly, who was on his second senior club by then.

They've probably spoiled it a bit for the current U23s as there is only negatives experience from their peers.

Then of course the football. I found Belgium football to be less intense. So maybe even on a football level they'd just be better playing lower down our own domestic leagues.

Once you scratch below the surface on the playing side there are quite a few complexities to make this beneficial at all.

As noble as some of it may be, I'm not clear what the revenue generator is here so the clubs will share costs of the additional staff. So is there enough upside to justify and what is a realistic timeframe to judge?

I think we figured out, after some serious sleuthing, that it's basically a couple of rented pitches in a Swiss secondary school.
That's another thing, this whole sorry mess is based in Geneva

Be mindful of the fact that, if you think this is all some sort of master plan, these are the people who admitted they had no plan at all when hiring Slav and only started working one out the week after they sacked him.

Be mindful of the fact that, if you think this is all some sort of master plan, these are the people who admitted they had no plan at all when hiring Slav and only started working one out the week after they sacked him.

And they are the same people that sat in a press conference and said there is no money.

Well I did not expect anything else I don't like to say but I have said what was going to happen on here a long time ago and got shot down for it. We have bought our season tickets in anticipation after being told of the plans to allow our manager to invest in the team so he can plan for the up coming season and have the new guys in place for a good pre season training program . Some good players were being lined up some commanding fees some frees but as usual the next thing we know has happened they have signed for other championship clubs repeating whats happened for the last 3 years. Well this guy has not renewed and won't until we start going forward again . At the moment we are going backwards . We have parachute payments we have the biggest gates in the championship great season ticket sales and we can't afford to get free agents on board . God help other lesser clubs how do they cope?
This is the problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-083519_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-083519_Twitter.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 32
Let's be honest: You're twisting the truth there.

This is the problem
If that is the case why were fans told there would be funds made available to the manager to invest in the team. Reading between the lines the manager seems to be as pissed off as the last two managers were after being told the same story. He has hinted that if players ARE brought in they may not be his choice .

I am getting seriously worried about the new season. No real news on signings of any kind. The UW project is doomed - all the other clubs are relative minnows in their own leagues. Chateauroux is a lovely town in France but it is a realative backwater football wise and the town only has a population of 43K. The Mosborough township in Sheffield has nearly 70K. It is bizarre to think these clubs could provide us Championship level players. Baransley owners have the same philosophy and all their clubs got relagated this last season.

I am getting seriously worried about the new season. No real news on signings of any kind. The UW project is doomed - all the other clubs are relative minnows in their own leagues. Chateauroux is a lovely town in France but it is a realative backwater football wise and the town only has a population of 43K. The Mosborough township in Sheffield has nearly 70K. It is bizarre to think these clubs could provide us Championship level players. Baransley owners have the same philosophy and all their clubs got relagated this last season.
Barnsley's scouting is on a different planet to our though. They seem to consistently sign players no one has heard of who turn out to be really good.

If that is the case why were fans told there would be funds made available to the manager to invest in the team. Reading between the lines the manager seems to be as pissed off as the last two managers were after being told the same story. He has hinted that if players ARE brought in they may not be his choice .
Reading between the lines😂

= saying whatever you think/want to believe personally

Barnsley's scouting is on a different planet to our though. They seem to consistently sign players no one has heard of who turn out to be really good.
It’s because they have the Moneyball guy. Unfortunately they lost a good manager and it all went to shit

I got all excited when I saw Utd and werder Bremen pop up on a feed. Unfortunately it was selling/releasing the great Oli Burke.
I reckon we will get rid of a much as possible and not sign anyone unless on loan then consolidate and build some funds for next season.

Back
Top Bottom