Transfer targets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No idea, but answered the question.
For further information I suggest you ask Wilder, he left us plotless.
Well Wilder hardly ever got his number one targets mainly due to other clubs offering Prem wages (Aston Villa for one) which we were not prepared to do. Would like to know how many slipped through the net due to our ridged wages structure and we had to make do with 2nd and 3rd choices. Admitted he made some bad signings but he was the guy responsable for generating the cash we had to spend.

Well Wilder hardly ever got his number one targets mainly due to other clubs offering Prem wages (Aston Villa for one) which we were not prepared to do. Would like to know how many slipped through the net due to our ridged wages structure and we had to make do with 2nd and 3rd choices. Admitted he made some bad signings but he was the guy responsable for generating the cash we had to spend.
Agree but this debate goes round and round, the real problem is that you cannot spend money that you have not got.

Reactions: 10p
Agree but this debate goes round and round, the real problem is that you cannot spend money that you have not got.
I totally agree with that mate you only have to look across the city to what happens when you go down that road but what most fans want to know how have we come to this after 3 or 4 years of comparable success plus parachute payments great season ticket sales and great numbers coming through the gates and for once getting decent money for our goalie. By the way even though the pigs are in a state and players wondering if they are going to get paid this month they seem a lot better at getting their targets in than we do. Now that is embarrassing .

When he sells,the money goes straight into his bank account, not the club’s, my friend.

The loan/mortgage will be paid with the proceeds though so the club will still own the stadium.

Whatever price is agreed will include the cost of the stadium loan. Who in their right mind would pay £115m for a club and take on another £50m owed on a loan??

I totally agree with that mate you only have to look across the city to what happens when you go down that road but what most fans want to know how have we come to this after 3 or 4 years of comparable success plus parachute payments great season ticket sales and great numbers coming through the gates and for once getting decent money for our goalie. By the way even though the pigs are in a state and players wondering if they are going to get paid this month they seem a lot better at getting their targets in than we do. Now that is embarrassing .

It's all in the accounts if you could be bothered to read them but why bother when you can spout crap like that.

Where do you think the money has gone?
look in the accounts and you will see ( yawn )
you must also realise that even though you consider we paid low wages we still have obligations to pay them and our costs are currently very close if not greater than our income.

Wilder was on record multiple times stating he didn't want massive wage disparity in the squad and wouldn't have players earning huge amounts more than all the others so IMHO his complaints about the wage bill were a smokescreen to hide from his stubbornness to change anything after the start we had that 2nd year.

Hell he even said himself it was the best window ever once he'd managed to moan enough that the board forked out £23m for a kid who wasn't ready.

Wilder was on record multiple times stating he didn't want massive wage disparity in the squad and wouldn't have players earning huge amounts more than all the others so IMHO his complaints about the wage bill were a smokescreen to hide from his stubbornness to change anything after the start we had that 2nd year.

Hell he even said himself it was the best window ever once he'd managed to moan enough that the board forked out £23m for a kid who wasn't ready.
Was Wilder top earner and he didn't want competition?

What would you have him do?
I’d like him to sell up and go, but in the mean time be honest with the fans and his managers, about his ambition for the club.
Only last month, Hecky was talking about signing 6 and getting his business done early, so we could have a decent pre-season.Won’t happen.
Last summer Slav was promised money for players, and the pre-season was a shambles, which cost us points that could have got us automatic.Didn’t happen.
At one time, I would have said I’d like him to show a bit of support and actually turn up for a game, but really not bothered, anymore.Will just be pleased to see the back of him.

I note Burnley managed to sign two loan players, one who is very good, without having to wait until the end of the transfer window. Magic.

It really isn't embarrassing. Think of it like this: you live next door to someone. You have a modest car, live within your means, and pay your bills. You don't go on three foreign holidays a year, your motor isn't brand new and specced to the hilt, you don't walk around in Balenciaga trainers at £900 a pair.

Your next door neighbour however is different. Got a massive Audi on HP, huge fuck-off telly, all the latest designer gear, hot tub in the back garden, you name it. What's embarrassing is when the bailiffs come around to take it all away because they've defaulted on their loans, their credit cards and the HP on their car.

I note Burnley managed to sign two loan players, one who is very good, without having to wait until the end of the transfer window. Magic.
Do you mean the two Man City academy players who have joined Vincent Kompany's team?

Wild comparison and totally irrelevant.

I'm as annoyed with the lack of signings as anyone else but City were always going to be sending two hot prospects to Burnley as soon as Kompany was announced as manager

Do you mean the two Man City academy players who have joined Vincent Kompany's team?

Wild comparison and totally irrelevant.

I'm as annoyed with the lack of signings as anyone else but City were always going to be sending two hot prospects to Burnley as soon as Kompany was announced as manager
Just making the point that most loans are done earlier rather than later and it's only players who might make squads who you have to wait on.

Just because it seems to be accepted that we have to wait for loans.

Just making the point that most loans are done earlier rather than later and it's only players who might make squads who you have to wait on.

Other than the two who have gone to Burnley from City, there are only 4 loan transfers in to the Championship so far in this window (unless I'm mistaken).

Swansea, Boro, Reading & Stoke have signed 1 each - none of which are particularly exciting.

We don't have to wait for loans, there are plenty of players we could get on loan right now, but we do have to wait for good  loans

Other than the two who have gone to Burnley from City, there are only 4 loan transfers in to the Championship so far in this window (unless I'm mistaken).

Swansea, Boro, Reading & Stoke have signed 1 each - none of which are particularly exciting.

We don't have to wait for loans, there are plenty of players we could get on loan right now, but we do have to wait for good  loans
yes and no, really.

The best loans, yes, but then you're playing a dangerous game because if you miss out, you're screwed.

You can still get top loans early, you just need to be clever in who you target.

Barnsley's scouting is on a different planet to our though. They seem to consistently sign players no one has heard of who turn out to be really good.
Don’t they use an adapted version of Billy Beanes Moneyball system?

Fair play, it got them out of the Championship 😉

Sort of shot yourself in the foot there.

"It's only players who might make squads who you have to wait on"

So basically you're saying we should be signing players miles away from "squad ready" just to satisfy the bedwetters that want signings RIGHT NOW??

I do wonder whether the issue is at the top and in the hoops the team need to jump through to be able to go after a player. It's clearly not the manager. If it takes 2 weeks to get agreement to bid for a player then it's no wonder we just always seem to have one target.
There is probably an undefined element of stick or twist in all this.

Hecky has been told that he is the one in charge of football and Bettis the business side.

Let's take the example of Max Lowe.

Hecky/Bettis will have a budget to work to. However they probably have an agreement that player sales can add to that budget.

Does he go for Player A, on a free who is a 7/10 performer or does he wait to get the money for Lowe and pay a fee for Player B who is an 8/10 performer?

There is a possibility that Player A gets snapped up while you wait. But by definition, there will be more Player A's on the market than Player B's.

Then there is the variable factor of time. Some players might not even be available yet. Suppose Bournemouth do their business in the next fortnight.

Before any additions further forward they have Lowe, Brooks, Dembele, Anthony, Stanislaus, Marcondes and Christie who could all in some way fulfill part of the gap Gibbs-White leaves.

Add a few more additions and does Dembele become available? Do they want Brooks to have a stint away and build himself up with consistent game time in an environment that suits him? All of a sudden Tom Lawrence on a free from Derby doesn't look so attractive anymore.

All hypathetical. At some point you have to make a move. Just a case of how long you hold your nerve and how many Player A's you are prepared to see join other clubs before you act.

Back
Top Bottom