Transfer targets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I got all excited when I saw Utd and werder Bremen pop up on a feed. Unfortunately it was selling/releasing the great Oli Burke.
I reckon we will get rid of a much as possible and not sign anyone unless on loan then consolidate and build some funds for next season.
Some more dead wood removed from the pay roll .As for building funds for next season I shall believe it when it happens .

Maybe Burke going will start to unclog the transfer constipation.

I can't believe he'd be included in any one-in, one-out scenario though as expected to leave regardless one way of another.

Maybe Burke going will start to unclog the transfer constipation.

I can't believe he'd be included in any one-in, one-out scenario though as expected to leave regardless one way of another.
Sunderland beat Blades to Ballard,was he even on the radar?

Sunderland beat Blades to Ballard,was he even on the radar?
The owners have no ambition for the club, except to sell it to the highest bidder, and get out of town.
We shouldn’t even Entertain the idea that they‘re going to invest to get into the Prem. It will be freebies, and last minute punts, unless they sell Berge and then they will use a small bit of the money to sign someone they will say they’ve been tracking for months.
Until they go, we’re,at best, treading water.

The owners have no ambition for the club, except to sell it to the highest bidder, and get out of town.
We shouldn’t even Entertain the idea that they‘re going to invest to get into the Prem. It will be freebies, and last minute punts, unless they sell Berge and then they will use a small bit of the money to sign someone they will say they’ve been tracking for months.
The owners spent a huge chunk of money on Berge, Mousset, McBurnie, Brewster, Freeman, Robinson etc.

I can completely understand why they are tight with their money right now.

I keep seeing we are after this free agent or that player for a fee.
Betsis saying we need to get player s in early to have a good preseason etc.
Anybody else think like me and we ll get no one we really want and end up with last minute underwhelming deals in

posted june 11th 2022
posted june 11th 2021
posted june 11th 2020
posted june 11th 2019
posted june 11th 2018
posted june 11th 2017
posted june 11th 2016
posted june 11th 2015
posted june 11th 1985
posted june 11th 1984

Barnsley's scouting is on a different planet to our though. They seem to consistently sign players no one has heard of who turn out to be really good.
But who on here would be bothered to wait for them to turn out to be really good?
",Never heard of 'im- typical total lack of ambition from our cheapskate club - Prince out!"

Now that sums it up . Spot on mate.

I think a even better example is Brentford.
If ever there was a great example on how to run a club and be successful with limited funds and fans Brentford has to be the one. Plus they are always selling players making big bucks but they always seem to be replacing them with even better players. Wish we could nick their chief scout he always seems to come up with the goods. If they had our following and gates they would be up there with the big boys. They would certainly not be looking for freebies or any waif or strays .

If ever there was a great example on how to run a club and be successful with limited funds and fans Brentford has to be the one. Plus they are always selling players making big bucks but they always seem to be replacing them with even better players. Wish we could nick their chief scout he always seems to come up with the goods. If they had our following and gates they would be up there with the big boys. They would certainly not be looking for freebies or any waif or strays .
They have an entire business worth tens of millions of pounds based around signing players for profit, tons of analysts and all sorts of nerds working for em etc. There isn't just a bloke in an office going "Lets sign this young lad form Spanish div 3 for 100k, seen him on Champ man"

They have an entire business worth tens of millions of pounds based around signing players for profit, tons of analysts and all sorts of nerds working for em etc. There isn't just a bloke in an office going "Lets sign this young lad form Spanish div 3 for 100k, seen him on Champ man"
I did not expect any thing else. I was trying to point out how a club like Brentford can be run successfully both financially AND on the pitch without gates that we enjoy. Not at any time did I ever believe there was one little man sat in an office telling the club to sign him or we should go for him . Brentford is a prime example of ALL the management team and board members getting their heads together and no doubt discussing the way forward and what is best for the club both financially AND on the pitch. They are shit hot at finding those gems and also developing talent selling at a big profit knowing they have another little gem to take the place of that player. Their success is down to ALL departments working in harmony AND NOT JUST ONE LITTLE GUY pulling the strings.

I did not expect any thing else. I was trying to point out how a club like Brentford can be run successfully both financially AND on the pitch without gates that we enjoy. Not at any time did I ever believe there was one little man sat in an office telling the club to sign him or we should go for him . Brentford is a prime example of ALL the management team and board members getting their heads together and no doubt discussing the way forward and what is best for the club both financially AND on the pitch. They are shit hot at finding those gems and also developing talent selling at a big profit knowing they have another little gem to take the place of that player. Their success is down to ALL departments working in harmony AND NOT JUST ONE LITTLE GUY pulling the strings.
Not really. At Brentford there is a very rich owner who has invested huge sums into a new ground and considerable sums into players at the championship level. So it is one little guy. But with loads of money. Without the money you can't staff all the departments or secure the up and coming players. You need money and a good organisation.

yeah, we don't have a 10th of that kind of money.

We need to be more Barnsley at the moment
You are right unfortunately . We could have been in the Brentford position if after developing some great talent in our Academy we did not sell them for peanuts. The Prem is littered with our Academy players who we let go for a fraction of their worth.

Not really. At Brentford there is a very rich owner who has invested huge sums into a new ground and considerable sums into players at the championship level. So it is one little guy. But with loads of money. Without the money you can't staff all the departments or secure the up and coming players. You need money and a good organisation.
Yes I agree there is great organisation at Brentford . There is a good organisation at Shirecliffe to turning out great talent on a regular basis but un like Brentford we were led to believe some time ago that we had a guy who was more than capable of and had the funds to take this club forward . Well were we told porkies ? Were we duped and conned ? Something is not right . For me alarm bells started to ring when the joint owner had to jump in to give an emergency loan to the club to cover the months wages when it was someone else 's responsabilty to make sure the funds were in place.

Yes we were led to believe we were getting a guy very much the same.

Brentford aren't the fairytale people think. They have a wealthy owner. Benham uses his businesses analytics staff and infrastructure (not cheap!) to sign players for his hobby. This is financially beyond the purview of most clubs, including them, if the money was coming out of club coffers. They are a stat obsessed club that has a depth and breadth that most can dream of.

I agree,treading water is the best way to put it.

Would you not say that spending big on analytics is better and cheaper in the long run than taking an educated gamble?
Depends it’s certainly something we need to do or end up being seriously left behind but it will become a game of finishing returns now as more and more clubs adopt it as a method. Brentford moved early and made a killing identifying market inefficiencies but others have taken notice and moved the same way. Eventually it won’t become an advantage but rather something you have to do to keep up with everyone else. Liverpool are also well publicised as using a heavily analytically driven approach now.

When people were kicking off at the start of June about no signings, In said it was far too early to worry, and I'd only be concerned if the case was the same in July.

It is a now July.

What an absolute shambles this club is. Seemingly making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

This myopic and snail-paced recruitment policy has to change or we'll be down before we're up again.

We seemingly spend weeks chasing one or two targets and let those drag on for far too long.

If there is no one in before we go to Portugal then heads need to roll. Whether that's the recruitment team or the Board, I don't know.

When people were kicking off at the start of June about no signings, In said it was far too early to worry, and I'd only be concerned if the case was the same in July.

It is a now July.

What an absolute shambles this club is. Seemingly making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

This myopic and snail-paced recruitment policy has to change or we'll be down before we're up again.

We seemingly spend weeks chasing one or two targets and let those drag on for far too long.

If there is no one in before we go to Portugal then heads need to roll. Whether that's the recruitment team or the Board, I don't know.

Last few seasons most of our signings were made mid-late July.

We hardly ever sign anyone early. In 18/19 we signed Egan on the 19th of July. There was disappointment the season before, but I don’t remember posters saying “heads will roll” ffs.

Last few seasons most of our signings were made mid-late July.

We hardly ever sign anyone early. In 18/19 we signed Egan on the 19th of July. There was disappointment the season before, but I don’t remember posters saying “heads will roll” ffs.
Have you noticed the season is starting earlier by any chance?

And by heads will roll, there is clearly an issue with either the recruitment team and/or the approval process at the top

Have you noticed the season is starting earlier by any chance?

And by heads will roll, there is clearly an issue with either the recruitment team and/or the approval process at the top
I think the recruitment team is missing a vital component if I’m honest and that’s oversight and leadership. We have a manager who knows what he wants and a scouting department who are good at identifying players presumably to meet those requirements alongside a board that are at least competent when it comes to negotiating deals.

What we don’t seem to do very well is to know when to move on and then have a list of alternatives that we move on to quickly and this is an issue that has persisted across various managers now so I can only assume there is no one in place to make that call.

The consequences of this are two fold firstly we over pay for players when it becomes obvious to the selling club we only have one target. Second we make panic buys sometimes for big money even if the alternative player is stylistically completely different from the main target.

I still don’t think our recruitment record is terrible as when we get our man they’re often very good but we do seem to be very reactive in the market rather than proactive.

I think the recruitment team is missing a vital component if I’m honest and that’s oversight and leadership. We have a manager who knows what he wants and a scouting department who are good at identifying players presumably to meet those requirements alongside a board that are at least competent when it comes to negotiating deals.

What we don’t seem to do very well is to know when to move on and then have a list of alternatives that we move on to quickly and this is an issue that has persisted across various managers now so I can only assume there is no one in place to make that call.

The consequences of this are two fold firstly we over pay for players when it becomes obvious to the selling club we only have one target. Second we make panic buys sometimes for big money even if the alternative player is stylistically completely different from the main target.

I still don’t think our recruitment record is terrible as when we get our man they’re often very good but we do seem to be very reactive in the market rather than proactive.
I do wonder whether the issue is at the top and in the hoops the team need to jump through to be able to go after a player. It's clearly not the manager. If it takes 2 weeks to get agreement to bid for a player then it's no wonder we just always seem to have one target.

Could be worse guys, we could be birmingham who currently only have 12 players on the books

Back
Top Bottom