Tom Lawrence

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bit disappointed with this, would have liked Lawrence at the club, however, if Khadra is coming in, plus with Doyle and Coulibaly, he might have struggled for game time in our midfield.

The article this morning suggests we have lost out to Rangers, so we move on

I'm guessing this may have happened a while back, hence the newer rumours emerging now regards Davis and Khadra

Hopefully one of those, but preferably both

I would have liked him but I don’t think he gets in the starting best 11. Would have been a great option though.

I don’t get why some over react to players going to Scotland. They get to play European football, play infront of a huge fan base in Rangers/ Celtic. Score a few goals, challenge for a title, win a cup. I can guarantee Lundstram enjoyed his season last season reaching a final etc than he would have in the championship with us.

The article this morning suggests we have lost out to Rangers, so we move on

I'm guessing this may have happened a while back, hence the newer rumours emerging now regards Davis and Khadra

Hopefully one of those, but preferably both

Do you ever read the threads ?

Do you ever read the threads ?
Ever? o_O:)

Lol yes. Obviously I missed that link from Russ as I just back glanced through them this morning. Only saw Belvedere Blades post that suggests we are now in a battle with Rangers, not the one that suggests we have actually lost out

I will endeavour to do better next time however Frank

Disappointing but not a disaster. Lawrence would have been a nice to have. On the positive side, we’ve got his decision relatively early into the window and are clearly pursuing other (younger) targets. Let’s hope ‘Plan B’ works out.

I do wonder at some thinking signing for us is better than signing for Rangers. You get to play in Europe, likely to win silverware and work is a lot easier.
Depends what your ambition is I guess. By going to Scotland you’re accepting that you aren’t up to making it in a decent league. As you say the payoff is that you play in front of big crowds have a big game every month or so and play in Europe mainly against the lesser sides and earn good money.
There’s nothing wrong with going there but you are effectively retiring from the higher levels of football. The fact that most seem to think McBurnie will end up there next if he doesn’t turn it around with us says it all. GLTTL.

I think hes decent. Bit annoyed that we’ve missed out on him. As long as option B is exciting then i can live with it though.

Disappointing but not a disaster. Lawrence would have been a nice to have. On the positive side, we’ve got his decision relatively early into the window and are clearly pursuing other (younger) targets. Let’s hope ‘Plan B’ works out.

100% my thoughts. Just glad he’s not dragged it on for another 2 weeks.

Depends what your ambition is I guess. By going to Scotland you’re accepting that you aren’t up to making it in a decent league.

When was the last time that someone of Lawrence's age suddenly made a move to a top 5 league and made themselves a first team regular?

At his age, it's all about getting either minutes or money, depends what motivates him. Same at younger ages as well. Would be interesting to see what would have happened to van Dijk if he went straight to Southampton to sit on the bench instead of Celtic first

Would I like him at the Lane, Yes. Is he the next Duffy, No

Not bothered either way, just needs to be quick decision and not protracted

When was the last time that someone of Lawrence's age suddenly made a move to a top 5 league and made themselves a first team regular?

At his age, it's all about getting either minutes or money, depends what motivates him. Same at younger ages as well. Would be interesting to see what would have happened to van Dijk if he went straight to Southampton to sit on the bench instead of Celtic first
That’s kind of the point. If he wanted to play in the PL then he needed to move to a championship side with promotion ambition.
He’s effectively retired from that and he’ll play in front of big crowds and get well paid for playing mainly pub sides alongside other busted flushes and upcoming foreign youngsters.

I would have liked him but I don’t think he gets in the starting best 11. Would have been a great option though.

I don’t get why some over react to players going to Scotland. They get to play European football, play infront of a huge fan base in Rangers/ Celtic. Score a few goals, challenge for a title, win a cup. I can guarantee Lundstram enjoyed his season last season reaching a final etc than he would have in the championship with us.
I can see why he's chosen them over us, no doubt more money and playing in Europe and battling Celtic for the title. I don't think Rangers or Celtic will ever be a big attraction for the better players down south, but for those like Lundstram and Lawrence, particularly the latter at 28, I can see why joining the old firm is as good as it'll get. At least he chose us over other Championship sides which is a good sign for recruitment.

In terms of Lundstram, again you're right that he enjoyed himself more than he would with us in the Champ but I thought he might want to join another PL team and I think he could had he kept up the form he had in the first season, after not signing his contract he wasn't the same player for about 1.5 years!

I can see why he's chosen them over us, no doubt more money and playing in Europe and battling Celtic for the title. I don't think Rangers or Celtic will ever be a big attraction for the better players down south, but for those like Lundstram and Lawrence, particularly the latter at 28, I can see why joining the old firm is as good as it'll get. At least he chose us over other Championship sides which is a good sign for recruitment.

In terms of Lundstram, again you're right that he enjoyed himself more than he would with us in the Champ but I thought he might want to join another PL team and I think he could had he kept up the form he had in the first season, after not signing his contract he wasn't the same player for about 1.5 years!
100% agree. I think the Premiership is more appealing than the Scottish league regardless of what position you're fighting for. For players with only championship options though or Rangers/Celtic this probably put them on the map for a good premiership move in the future. Joe Aribo is going to Southampton which I think is a step up for him.

Lawrence is arguably similar to our other midfielders (better in some aspects possibly). Khadra on the other hand is objectively something different. That low centre of gravity, tricky, bitofadivingshithouse is much more of what we need I think. Him and Davis, Brewster back fit, keep Berge, Whitney floating around, Billy doing his thing and eventually have a fit Bogle - that’s as good a Championship forward line as we could hope for.

Depends what your ambition is I guess. By going to Scotland you’re accepting that you aren’t up to making it in a decent league. As you say the payoff is that you play in front of big crowds have a big game every month or so and play in Europe mainly against the lesser sides and earn good money.
There’s nothing wrong with going there but you are effectively retiring from the higher levels of football. The fact that most seem to think McBurnie will end up there next if he doesn’t turn it around with us says it all. GLTTL.
Not exactly big game a go-go in the Championship though.

I get what you mean. If you're ambition is to play in the EPL, then you're more likely to get noticed in the Championship than the SPL.

Conversely, I suspect a move to a European club is more likely by playing for one of the Old Firm.

At his age, he's not likely to play in the EPL regardless now. He's also a lazy player, and that doesn't matter in Scotland.

Not exactly big game a go-go in the Championship though.

I get what you mean. If you're ambition is to play in the EPL, then you're more likely to get noticed in the Championship than the SPL.

Conversely, I suspect a move to a European club is more likely by playing for one of the Old Firm.

At his age, he's not likely to play in the EPL regardless now. He's also a lazy player, and that doesn't matter in Scotland.
Maybe competitive rather than big would have been more appropriate phrasing. He’s played in the Championship for 10 years and not shone so I totally get why he’s made that decision.
He wants to play each week and earn good money. GLTTL.

Still think we also need a CDM Davis and khedra coming in would be the icing on the cake though

Good move for him tbh. Probably met his wage demands, European football, chance of silverware, easier opposition weekly so will shine

Hopefully he convinces Rangers to put a £25m bid in for McBurnie as well.

I get why players move to Rangers and Celtic, but they're wank.

Back
Top Bottom