Time to sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And the defending, Christ. What can he actually do about it

I know everybody is either hurt, angry, frustrated, all three and plus one or more of several other negative emotions, but....

that's the barmiest thing I've read yet. That's his fucking job. If he can't do that he should fuck off pronto. If he had a scintilla of personal pride, he would.

Yeah we’ve been relegated and it’s all Wilders fault. Can’t be arsed reading through all this bullshit. Turn off your phones and tablets, have a drink and go to bed

Just reading some of these comments and the amount of disrespect towards Wilder is disgusting. We are way better under Wilder than Hecky. Although results say otherwise the performance and especially level of effort has increased massively. Give Wilder time and stop moaning.

Just reading some of these comments and the amount of disrespect towards Wilder is disgusting. We are way better under Wilder than Hecky. Although results say otherwise the performance and especially level of effort has increased massively. Give Wilder time and stop moaning.
Didn't want him back.
Prepared to give him the rest of this season (time!).
We are not "way better", we are shite.
Performance and effort are no different, end results are the same.
It won't work, emotion and "bein reyt Bladey" are no substitute for skill.
He really needs to bugger off again.

I have no problem with that opinion.

I personally don’t think it’s enough making Arblaster captain if you’re going to surround him with dross and play tactics that just lead to drubbings every week. I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest for wanting to play for someone more progressive.

What tactics would you go with?

I’m not necessarily a Wilder fan but can’t see where we’ve got the players to make the tactics relevant really.

We are not sustainable at the top level with this owner. The owner knows that and has the club for sale. The manager was put there by the owner [the new owner will pick his own man] midway through a season where the squad was woefully lacking in all areas.

Sacking him now would be the biggest chance of spiralling down the leagues because we would probably get it wrong.

I don’t believe CW is the man to bring us success in the PL but I believe he can take us back there next season. As ever though, we need to keep the long term in mind. We need a structure in place. Brighton will already know who they want when De Zerbi leaves - as they did when Potter left. That sort of structure and planning brings you success.

You can’t be serious

Hecky 14 games, 5 points. 0.35 PPG

Wilder 31 games, 11 points. 0.35 PPG

Their points per game is identical.

We conceded 4+ goals in 3 games under Hecky.

We've conceded 4+ goals in 6 games under Wilder (7 if you include the FA Cup), though it feels like a lot more.

We scored 11 goals under Hecky. 0.78 GPG.

We've scored 23 goals under Wilder. 0.74 GPG.

Our goals per game is very slightly worse under Wilder, but realistically, they're the same.

We conceded 39 goals under Hecky. 3.45 GPG.

We've conceded 58 goals under Wilder. 1.87 GPG.

Bizarrely, despite the drubbings, we've been better defensively under Wilder, though nothing to really celebrate.

Saying Wilder has been better than Hecky is polishing a turd. It might look shiny and better but it's still a turd. Neither have done a good job, they've both been as crap as each other.

If he's going to let the injury prone players go then why is he trying to convince McBurnie to stay?
Objectively McB should be let go coz he's hardly ever fit , not even when he's in the team.

But when your strikers are :

Sick note Brewster
Tiny Traore
Mystery Jebbo
Barn door Osula

Maybe Wilder needs to play McB along a bit until he sees what he can recruit.

What worries me is Wilder's comment about McB being a "culture-carrier".
Sounds like he's keeping him despite his frequent unavailability.

What's our time limit for exercising our option ?

Hecky 14 games, 5 points. 0.35 PPG

Wilder 31 games, 11 points. 0.35 PPG

Their points per game is identical.

We conceded 4+ goals in 3 games under Hecky.

We've conceded 4+ goals in 6 games under Wilder (7 if you include the FA Cup), though it feels like a lot more.

We scored 11 goals under Hecky. 0.78 GPG.

We've scored 23 goals under Wilder. 0.74 GPG.

Our goals per game is very slightly worse under Wilder, but realistically, they're the same.

We conceded 39 goals under Hecky. 3.45 GPG.

We've conceded 58 goals under Wilder. 1.87 GPG.

Bizarrely, despite the drubbings, we've been better defensively under Wilder, though nothing to really celebrate.

Saying Wilder has been better than Hecky is polishing a turd. It might look shiny and better but it's still a turd. Neither have done a good job, they've both been as crap as each other.
Wilder is 21 games not 31 games. Hence all your numbers are wrong.

Wilder ppg 0.53
Wilder goals per game 1.09
Wilder goals against 2.76

There is an improvement under Wilder. It’s certainly noticeable up front, but not at the back where the defence looks worse, but that’s what you get when you play Grbic.

Listened to his interview, as predicted he said “this football club” enough to make it known to everyone who isn’t already bored of it that he’s a fan of Sheffield United.

He talks about getting the fans onside and getting the players and culture right. He also said this when he was reappointed, the players, with the odd exception haven’t even tried for the majority of his time as manager.

He goes on about finishing 9th, that was 3 seasons ago, when we had a unique mix of players. He did admit he won’t be able to repeat that but said “he knows what good looks like”. This is bloke who thought £22m for Brewster was a step in the right direction.

As a squad we’re unfit, not arsed enough, not good enough, poor at defending, tactically inept and have been hammered on numerous occasions as a result.

The chairman takes 90% of the blame, but the managers between them take the other 10% and neither is better or worse than the other for me.

My choice as a realistic replacement would be someone like Ian Evatt, he’s never had money to play with and won promotions with different clubs.

Last edited:
I don’t get this idea that we’re somehow going to now free fall through the divisions because our championship squad can’t compete at the top level.

We’re not good enough for the Prem, we are good enough for the championship.

Now we’re playing the pigs too I want someone in charge who can get them fired up for these games, instead of meekly feeding off scraps from the big boys table.
People have to reset their ambitions.

The squad was poorly managed in the summer, partly due to tight-fisted recruitment (and now we know why, hence the -2) and partly based on fitness too given how late many arrived.

Neither Hecky nor Wilder stood much of a chance with these players at this level.

Cash is still limited.

So, unless you have a sure fire replacement, who will come and will accept the parameters then you just need to get on with accepting Wilder as manager. He has 4 promotions with 3 different clubs in Oxford, Northampton and the Blades. He’s not a novice and he has a good foothold in what has to be done. If we’re nowhere to be seen next season then by all means wave goodbye.

No point wasting your breath on expecting something to happen that won’t.

He’s done well at that level for us before and although short at the top level, we still have players who are very good to outstanding at the level below. If he stays then Egan has done well there, Robbo also. Arblaster looks a gem and Hamer also could be outstanding. There are others like Osborn and Bogle who can be very good too. Just let the manager do his job and let’s see where we go. We have quite a few good young players. Perhaps they grab the nettle and take us forward.

While teams like West Brom are allowing themselves to get pasted 3-0 away to the Pigs, you know there are plenty of points up for grabs down there.

What tactics would you go with?

I’m not necessarily a Wilder fan but can’t see where we’ve got the players to make the tactics relevant really.
Ahh now that’s the question, isn’t it?

It’s going to sound like I’m dodging the answer, but the truth is that if I knew, I’d be involved in football coaching and management somewhere rather than my actual day job.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the tactics objectively aren’t working whilst not having an alternative to suggest as a layman.

He has 1 year left on his contract. We will lose McAtee and Archer.
We will also no doubt lose Anel.

If he doesn’t sort the defence early in pre season I will see it has he’s done.
Imagine a manager who needs to sign 15 players or so not looking to sort the defence 😂

This message board is funny at times.

Ahh now that’s the question, isn’t it?

It’s going to sound like I’m dodging the answer, but the truth is that if I knew, I’d be involved in football coaching and management somewhere rather than my actual day job.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the tactics objectively aren’t working whilst not having an alternative to suggest as a layman.
It’s just an easy dig at Wilder to say tactics.

But everyone who’s been to the last 8 games or so has seen huge improvements along with huge limitations within the squad. The football first half was amazing and should have been 4 up.

So the signs are there. The signs are there that we have no leaders and no defenders. Wilder has said this for about 15 games. It’s easy to see the problem but when you cannot rectify it it’s more difficult.

The problem re lack of leaders in the squad was very apparent to anyone with any sense, back on pre season. The board obviously didn't really help Hecky last summer with the lack of funds made available, but it really shouldn't have been beyond him and the recruitment team to focus on bringing in some leaders, even if they were to come from the lower leagues.

Even the more established players this season, the likes of Egan, Nice guy Bash, Norwood etc, all go missing when the shit starts hitting the fan. No one at any time this season has looked to take ownership of the numerous footballing disasters that we have had to endure on the pitch. No one has been banging heads together and telling them to get a grip. No team with leaders allows us to get pumped by 8 at home (I'll never forgive any of that team for that shit show).

Bottom line is that if some of the fans could see the problem re lack of leaders back in the summer, why in all that is holy, could the manager at the time, his management team and the recruitment team not see it? Fucked if I know. At least CW has actually come out and said the obvious in that we need leaders for next season Hallelujah. Its finally been recognised. Now if we can only look to get a decent keeper or two, a new defence who can win things in the air, and maybe a forward or two then we might just be onto something...

The problem re lack of leaders in the squad was very apparent to anyone with any sense, back on pre season. The board obviously didn't really help Hecky last summer with the lack of funds made available, but it really shouldn't have been beyond him and the recruitment team to focus on bringing in some leaders, even if they were to come from the lower leagues.

Even the more established players this season, the likes of Egan, Nice guy Bash, Norwood etc, all go missing when the shit starts hitting the fan. No one at any time this season has looked to take ownership of the numerous footballing disasters that we have had to endure on the pitch. No one has been banging heads together and telling them to get a grip. No team with leaders allows us to get pumped by 8 at home (I'll never forgive any of that team for that shit show).

Bottom line is that if some of the fans could see the problem re lack of leaders back in the summer, why in all that is holy, could the manager at the time, his management team and the recruitment team not see it? Fucked if I know. At least noe CW has actually come out and said the obvious in that we need leaders. Hallelujah. Its finally been recognised.
Agree somewhat but Luton did it?

Ogbenne and Chong combined few of £5m both seem excellent characters both performed exceptionally when in the championship.

They made signings like Barkley / Lakonga who both seem the right fit.

I get Hecky wasn’t given loads but he wasted so much of it.

Ogbenne was at Rotherham United everyone knew he was an excellent player that covers lots of positions and yet we don’t go for it.

Wilder best not make the mistake with the goalkeeper there.

Ogbenne and Chong combined few of £5m both seem excellent characters both performed exceptionally when in the championship.

Ogbenne was at Rotherham United everyone knew he was an excellent player that covers lots of positions and yet we don’t go for it.

That's my point. Hecky didn't have a bucket load of cash to spend last summer but what he did have he didn't spend it wisely. There are leaders and decent players out there but we managed to miss every last fucking one of them. That's on Hecky and his team.

Each to their own, and I appreciate that others will see it differently, but I have more faith in CW bringing in the right players this coming summer (yes I know he's made mistakes with transfers before but which manager hasn't) that I ever did with Hecky in charge. What done is gone, but we need to get it right with this summer's recruitment. The number of players going out the door is a blessing as we have gone stale and need a reset.

3 to go....(games)

That's my point. Hecky didn't have a bucket load of cash to spend last summer but what he did have he didn't spend it wisely. There are leaders and decent players out there but we managed to miss every last fucking one of them. That's on Hecky and his team.

Each to their own, and I appreciate that others will see it differently, but I have more faith in CW bringing in the right players this coming summer (yes I know he's made mistakes with transfers before but which manager hasn't) that I ever did with Hecky in charge. What done is gone, but we need to get it right with this summer's recruitment. The number of players going out the door is a blessing as we have gone stale and need a reset.

3 to go....(games)
Wilders issues were mainly based around the second season in the PL and some have some questions over the first season recruitment policy that finished 9th.

Championship wise his recruitment was absolutely tremendous. His recruitment at Boro was also seen as very good.

I am a big Wilder fan but he is a top level championship manager and a bottom end PL manager which fits right in with us.

He will need to get the recruitment right but it seems United World have some say with the left field signings such as Grbic.

We need to let Wilder get his first choice targets and then promotion in 2 seasons would be a certainty in my opinion

Thing is, we knew Ndiaye was going to leave. Let’s be honest.

All this last minute Hail Mary to get him to stay should have meant there was a really solid plan to replace him.

When we went up before Wilder decided to move Lundstram in to make us more robust and it worked.

We already played 3-5-1-1 under Hecky. I don’t therefore get why he had no plan for Ndiaye. If Hamer was the replacement for Berge like he was supposed to be, then either Hecky should have been working on an alternative set up, like 5-4-1 to make us more robust and boring or looking at Ndiaye replacements.

Not like there were none. I don’t know if his prison sentence in Belgium had taken place by then, but Chair of QPR is one of the at ilk. Carvalho who went to Hull was another one. We certainly fannied about enough with Akpom to know that if we were decisive he could have been here.

Daft as it may sound but signing Archer was a poor move because he didn’t fit what we needed. Now if we’d decided to replace Sharp with him and also get one of the above, then fine. But we just thought good player, let’s get him, but with no idea how it would all piece together.

Thing is, we knew Ndiaye was going to leave. Let’s be honest.

All this last minute Hail Mary to get him to stay should have meant there was a really solid plan to replace him.

When we went up before Wilder decided to move Lundstram in to make us more robust and it worked.

We already played 3-5-1-1 under Hecky. I don’t therefore get why he had no plan for Ndiaye. If Hamer was the replacement for Berge like he was supposed to be, then either Hecky should have been working on an alternative set up, like 5-4-1 to make us more robust and boring or looking at Ndiaye replacements.

Not like there were none. I don’t know if his prison sentence in Belgium had taken place by then, but Chair of QPR is one of the at ilk. Carvalho who went to Hull was another one. We certainly fannied about enough with Akpom to know that if we were decisive he could have been here.

Daft as it may sound but signing Archer was a poor move because he didn’t fit what we needed. Now if we’d decided to replace Sharp with him and also get one of the above, then fine. But we just thought good player, let’s get him, but with no idea how it would all piece together.
I think that’s the most random part of it.

Hecky copied Wilder’s system and tweaked it well. But then got to the PL and then just threw it all up against the wall.

Selling Ndiaye (isn’t Hecky fault) but not replacing him another similar type player was such a schoolboy error.

He should have learnt from the Lundstram debacle that we need runners in Midfield. They have to be able to have the ball and be very athletic. So we sign Souza who isn’t the most athletic in terms of covering ground and no good on the ball.

We signed totally the wrong players. 12 months later there’s only Hamer that’s been any good.

Almost as if the transfer 'strategy' was to bring in decent players if they become available to us and fit in with our budget, rather than having a robust scouting team who actually go out and pro-actively seek the right players for the system that we want to use. The scouting of our transfer targets has been laughably woeful.

Let's just hope that we start to actually identify the players we want and go get them rather than seeing what becomes available and trying to fit pieces from different puzzles into the same jigsaw. No wonder the overall picture is a mess and we have pieces that don't fit.

Back
Top Bottom