Time to sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In that case I’m not with the consensus.

I’d gladly appoint Cooper in the right circumstances, but that doesn’t happen (and shouldn’t happen), unless the ownership changes and we get an investment kick.
Fair enough we all have our opinion I'm not going to say yours is wrong and mines right , they are just opinions

IF, Wilder gets money to spend he’ll no doubt buy players to fit into his system. Whatever that is these days. The problem is if it doesn’t work any new manager is stuck with similar issues Wilder has inherited (without the baggage) and if they have a totally different system we’re probably writing another season with the benefit of parachute payments poured down the drain.

Fair enough we all have our opinion I'm not going to say yours is wrong and mines right , they are just opinions

My logic is purely it’s no good appointing someone new, letting them set the direction, right at the end (seemingly) of the owner’s tenure.

And I still have plenty of time for Wilder. His holding back tears and evident anger upon relegation resonated with me.

I’d say it was the opposite, we needed someone in who would meekly accept relegation and do a bit of badge thumping to try and get the fans back onside. We were down last August so it didn’t matter who we brought back in.

Wilder was that patsy, now we can start afresh with someone who has new ideas and different methods than the ones we’ve relied on in the past and subsequently have run out of steam.

Wilder’s come in, said he’d get fans back onside and get the players caring again. He’s hoodwinked those fans that are too daft to see past the “I’m a Blade” rhetoric and he’s completely failed on the player front. 2 of the signings made during his reign have been disastrous (Grbic and Holgate).

Time for him to disappear back to being a pundit and let someone with fresh ideas have a go. There are plenty of managers with the potential to ‘do a Wilder’ (2017 to 2019 version), get one in and let them have time to implement something.

Wrong.
We were down before Wilder arrived.
We needed preparation for next season there and then as we weren’t ever getting close to survival without spending huge sums to get a full new team in January. And that was never gonna happen.

New manager now and it’s another reset, another season start under prepared.
Why??
1- We would take weeks to select a new manager
2- when finally does arrive players likely out the country.
3- new manager needs to assess the squad and decide who may go and who to come in.
4- New manager needs to get the players playing his way, implement training and set tactics
5- Possible that 10 new players required and new manager has no idea where and who.

On top of that, the last few months reviews of the playing squad and operations and scouting completed is all out the window.
Who we going to rely on to build the squad? united world and their “expert” recruitment team??

It would be a complete disaster, and I guarantee would see us in the relegation places for at least the early months and may see us struggle to recover.

It’s bad enough as it is without sacking another manager ffs.
Jury is well and truly out whether the board can do their job and get the targets in and new contracts sorted, Wilder will have a head start as it is.

Wrong.
We needed preparation for next season there and then as we weren’t ever getting close to survival without spending huge sums to get a full new team in January. And that was never gonna happen.

Why??
3- new manager needs to assess the squad and decide who may go and who to come in.
4- New manager needs to get the players playing his way, implement training and set tactics
5- Possible that 10 new players required and new manager has no idea where and who.

On top of that, the last few months reviews of the playing squad and operations and scouting completed is all out the window.
Who we going to rely on to build the squad? united world and their “expert” recruitment team??

It would be a complete disaster, and I guarantee would see us in the relegation places for at least the early months and may see us struggle to recover.

Jury is well and truly out whether the board can do their job and get the targets in and new contracts sorted, Wilder will have a head start as it is.
Completely respect your opinion, mine differs though and yours maybe correct or may not. The points about timing are completely valid. The board should have been planning to replace him since it was clear he isn’t doing what he said he would (improve the team and get the fans back onside).

Keeping hold of Wilder is like doubling down on a bad decision in my opinion.

I completely agree that Wilder couldn’t have done anything to keep us up, that’s not why I want him gone. I want him gone because for all his bullshit and bluster were no further forward as a club than when he was reappointed. I’d argue we’re possibly worse off because he’s wasted scarce resources on the likes of Grbic and Holgate.

I see Alexander Blessin may be playing CL football with USG having got into the Belgium pro league playoffs... I wonder if hes got his license yet??
He qualifies under both the old and new rules. He's managed for 2 full seasons in Belgians top flight and half a season in Serie A. Unfortunately he looks like the one that got away. Champions League football and a reported salary of around £3m a season puts him out of our reach for now.

Wrong.

Why??

Totally agree. I'm in Wilders camp. Keep him and let him build a squad. Others have their opinion and I'm not going to tell them that they are wrong. But, I'm backing the current man in charge. Let's see how it pans out. I'm quietly confident we will come good next season and I'm positive. If others want to sit there moaning and groaning then crack on. He ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Personally, I'm glad about that (and I'm not blinded about him being a Bladez I just think he has the appetite to really give it a go and will prove himself again). We'll see.

IF, Wilder gets money to spend he’ll no doubt buy players to fit into his system. Whatever that is these days. The problem is if it doesn’t work any new manager is stuck with similar issues Wilder has inherited (without the baggage) and if they have a totally different system we’re probably writing another season with the benefit of parachute payments poured down the drain.
I have a similar concern. We seem to have gone full circle from using the overseas market back to tub thumping British signings supplemented by academy prospects if the likes of Ayling and Mcatee are an indication of the targets we are looking at. Its a backward step imo having the football team manager driving all aspects of recruitment when he needs to be focusing on pitch performance.

Comments that the incoming HOR will have to work closely with CW suggests it will be mainly his appointment. That may explain why we have been so slow to bring in a replacement. No club in the EPL and very few of the top Championship clubs work to this model. All have Sporting/ Technical Directors responsible for contract negotiation, recruitment, fitness and conditioning and medical services.

We have recently seen CW's intransigence resurfacing when he states there is nothing wrong with the system. If it goes pear shaped after the first 12 games next year as you say ground hog day will be upon us and we will be in exactly the same mess we were when Slav came in. This continued repetition of making the same mistakes is draining. The adage there is none so blind as those that will not see springs to mind.

I still want him to stay but it's very disappointing that he's not made us harder to score against

I thought his appointment would prevent absolute humiliation but it's not come close
Disappointing? Total sodding ineptitude- if you cant set a team up to defend, you fail level one of the basic coach management badge!

Until we have new ownership, we are basically treading water.

I'm resigned/happy to tread water with CW in his current fired up , 'I'll show em, I care cos I'm a Blade' routine than go left field.

I'm in no doubt that he'll try his bollocks off. With no real backing, who could we attract? He's got a point to prove, over to you CW.

Unless you have a unique set of circumstances then you never know who your next manager will be.

So, whist you might harbour concerns that we’d be stuck with players conditioned to Wilder’s system that we couldn’t shift, that could be levelled at any future manager.

Unfortunately football is one of few industries where it’s acceptable to go in and change over 50% of the staff in a very short time.

So whilst it’s a fair point, it could be the case with AN Other.

The alternative is to have a DoF who helps decide how we set up and then hires only coaches prepared to go with that method. Though you could argue with Wilder-Hecky-Wilder, we’ve ended up with something similar and had 3/5 seasons in the PL.

Let’s wait and see. I believe there’s a clear plan in place and for the first time in a few seasons everyone is on the same page behind the scenes. We will get it right. Trust the process. UTB!!
This from the same source who said the January transfer budget was potentially even bigger than the Summer one, and McBurnie was signing a new deal? I suppose it’s good to balance out the fatalistic ITKs with the more positive ones.

Let’s wait and see. I believe there’s a clear plan in place and for the first time in a few seasons everyone is on the same page behind the scenes. We will get it right. Trust the process. UTB!!

But Andy and Rifleman say its all going to shit and we need to sell everything that isn't nailed down.

Bringing him on is without doubt the only real positive for Wilders tenure this season. But how many of his bizarre selections, tactics and substitutions does it take to balance out that single success?
I completely understand + agree with your sentiments Sean , but the trouble is that there is no-one in power at the club who even faintly understands the rubbish nature of all those Wilder decisions.
This is the difficulty of having an absent owner & Board , who simply don't have the interest or ability to grip the football side of things.
The only person here is Barrow Boy Bettis and I strongly suspect that he doesn't look at Wilder with any degree of objectivity - apart from anything else he's too much on his plate.
Wilder has in effect carte blanche - who is going to take him to task on the issues you've enumerated ?
I reckon Wilder is left well alone as long as he doesn't moan about the budget and signings foisted upon him.

If Wilder wasn't a "Blade" or if this was any other manager all but around 1 percent would want him out.

Of course 2016- March 7th 2020 he was great.

Subsequent to that there isn't any evidence to the contrary to say he's "good"

God knows what the summer will bring but our recent record on transfers doesn't make me confident.

Derby and Sunderland took years to recover from seasons like this. So God knows how we will fare next season, as it stands now I wouldn't back us to bounce back.
I don’t want him here next season.

However, I do sympathise with the view of some that it really doesn’t matter who is manager under the current ownership

I’d like him to stay and to lead us to a prolonged period of success. That would be awesome.

In my last role, it became apparent that the leadership of the business from the CEO was lacking, meaning that the whole business was rudderless, lurching from one initiative to another which never actually stuck, whilst continuing to make the same mistakes from sales to production making our jobs more difficult, leading to burnout and the inevitable exodus of good people from the business.

When I handed my notice in, the CEO offered me a Head of Department role, with a more interesting portfolio and a pay rise. I turned it down because I didn’t believe in the leadership of the business and the lure of the role wasn’t enough to overcome those misgivings.

I see an analogy there with Arblaster. What’s the point in being captain of a sinking ship? If it’s going to affect your career, and potentially your mental and physical health, how long do you stick at it?

Like I say, selfishly I hope he does stay with us, and that we get new ownership and leadership with some dynamism and fresh ideas about how to succeed. But I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest for considering his future and deciding that it lies elsewhere.
Great reply ... hope you are settled now in a great job

Back
Top Bottom