Time to sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why do so many fans get sucked in this man’s rhetoric. PA is nothing more than a Saudi politician and being deceitful will be second nature to him. Throwing a dead cats on the table (training ground, hotel etc) shouldn’t detract from the fact he came into a largely solvent football club and is now residing over a club that can’t pay its debts. This has been an extremely embarrassing season both on and off the field.
The group as a whole was “largely solvent” only because McCabe had to write off £27m of debt to get him on board in the first place. And another £10m of debt put into share capital. Prior to that the group had net liabilities of £41m. In league one.

Last edited:

Hecky 14 games, 5 points. 0.35 PPG

Wilder 31 games, 11 points. 0.35 PPG

Their points per game is identical.

We conceded 4+ goals in 3 games under Hecky.

We've conceded 4+ goals in 6 games under Wilder (7 if you include the FA Cup), though it feels like a lot more.

We scored 11 goals under Hecky. 0.78 GPG.

We've scored 23 goals under Wilder. 0.74 GPG.

Our goals per game is very slightly worse under Wilder, but realistically, they're the same.

We conceded 39 goals under Hecky. 3.45 GPG.

We've conceded 58 goals under Wilder. 1.87 GPG.

Bizarrely, despite the drubbings, we've been better defensively under Wilder, though nothing to really celebrate.

Saying Wilder has been better than Hecky is polishing a turd. It might look shiny and better but it's still a turd. Neither have done a good job, they've both been as crap as each other.
Can't be right. I read on here that we'd hugely improved under Wilder.

The time to go the different approach was when the sacked Hecky,
I’d say it was the opposite, we needed someone in who would meekly accept relegation and do a bit of badge thumping to try and get the fans back onside. We were down last August so it didn’t matter who we brought back in.

Wilder was that patsy, now we can start afresh with someone who has new ideas and different methods than the ones we’ve relied on in the past and subsequently have run out of steam.

Wilder’s come in, said he’d get fans back onside and get the players caring again. He’s hoodwinked those fans that are too daft to see past the “I’m a Blade” rhetoric and he’s completely failed on the player front. 2 of the signings made during his reign have been disastrous (Grbic and Holgate).

Time for him to disappear back to being a pundit and let someone with fresh ideas have a go. There are plenty of managers with the potential to ‘do a Wilder’ (2017 to 2019 version), get one in and let them have time to implement something.

Hecky 1st 10

Scored 7, Conceded 30, no wins, one draw, nine defeats

Hecky last 4

Scored 4, Conceded 10, one win, one draw, 2 defeats

Wilder 1st 10

Scored 11, Conceded 26, two wins, two draws, six defeats

Wilder last 11

Scored 12, Conceded 37, no wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats

Overall

PH - P14, W1, D2, L12, GD 11 GA 40. -29 Pts 5. Average result 0.79 - 2.86 - 2.07 per game.

CW - P21, W2, D5, L14, GF 23 GA 63. -40 Pts 11. Average result 1.1 - 3. -1.9 per game

There's not a lot in it but United are a better attacking team under Wilder and I think both the eye test and numbers back that up. 23 goals scored in 21 games is just a standard terrible PL team record. The goals against records are both horrific.

The start and ends of the season have been a disaster (first 10/last 11, -48 GD, 4 Points). That middle spell, end of PH, start of CW (3 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats, -21 GD) across a full season is 32/33 points.

So in summary, not been great

I’d say it was the opposite, we needed someone in who would meekly accept relegation and do a bit of badge thumping to try and get the fans back onside. We were down last August so it didn’t matter who we brought back in.

Wilder was that patsy, now we can start afresh with someone who has new ideas and different methods than the ones we’ve relied on in the past and subsequently have run out of steam.

Wilder’s come in, said he’d get fans back onside and get the players caring again. He’s hoodwinked those fans that are too daft to see past the “I’m a Blade” rhetoric and he’s completely failed on the player front. 2 of the signings made during his reign have been disastrous (Grbic and Holgate).

Time for him to disappear back to being a pundit and let someone with fresh ideas have a go. There are plenty of managers with the potential to ‘do a Wilder’ (2017 to 2019 version), get one in and let them have time to implement something.
Who? The club still hasn't hired any support staff so it has to be the full on, old school, "I do it all" boss. Not many about

Who? The club still hasn't hired any support staff so it has to be the full on, old school, "I do it all" boss. Not many about
My suggestion is Evatt, he’s done the job at Bolton and Barrow without much assistance or budget. I can’t see that Bolton have a DoF.

He signed 16 players when he first took over as they were in the shit financially and had a lot of players out of contract.

He’s a wheeler dealer, that’s the market we’ll be in (albeit at a higher level).

Took same team and players as Wilder who had them bottom before his sacking, and ran us close until late in the season for automatics. Wilders Boro got thumped 4-1 at the Lane , we got thumped by Carricks Boro 1-3. Just fallen short admittedly this season, but he seems more progressive than Wilder.

We’ll see next season. Happy to be proven wrong by Wilder

Just an opinion

My suggestion is Evatt, he’s done the job at Bolton and Barrow without much assistance or budget. I can’t see that Bolton have a DoF.

He signed 16 players when he first took over as they were in the shit financially and had a lot of players out of contract.

He’s a wheeler dealer, that’s the market we’ll be in (albeit at a higher level).
If Bolton go up through the playoffs they’ll be in the same league as us (and two points better off at the start of the season). Can’t see why he’d leave them to come to us in those circumstances. Possibly if they don’t go up, I suppose.

If Bolton go up through the playoffs they’ll be in the same league as us (and two points better off at the start of the season). Can’t see why he’d leave them to come to us in those circumstances. Possibly if they don’t go up, I suppose.
It goes against my ‘spread the net wider’ theory but he lives in Chesterfield and we’re a much bigger job for him than Bolton, we’ll probably pay him more than they will and he won’t have to live in a hotel 3 or 4 nights a week.

It goes against my ‘spread the net wider’ theory but he lives in Chesterfield and we’re a much bigger job for him than Bolton, we’ll probably pay him more than they will and he won’t have to live in a hotel 3 or 4 nights a week.
… but we’re a laughing stock with a huge rebuilding project on our hands. Our reputation has been damaged by the on- and off-field stuff since late last season. It could be that he would be tempted by the project, but he could also think fuck that got a game of soldiers and decide to stick to where he’s already making a difference.

Is he better than Wilder?

Hecky 1st 10

Scored 7, Conceded 30, no wins, one draw, nine defeats

Hecky last 4

Scored 4, Conceded 10, one win, one draw, 2 defeats

Wilder 1st 10

Scored 11, Conceded 26, two wins, two draws, six defeats

Wilder last 11

Scored 12, Conceded 37, no wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats

Overall

PH - P14, W1, D2, L12, GD 11 GA 40. -29 Pts 5. Average result 0.79 - 2.86 - 2.07 per game.

CW - P21, W2, D5, L14, GF 23 GA 63. -40 Pts 11. Average result 1.1 - 3. -1.9 per game

There's not a lot in it but United are a better attacking team under Wilder and I think both the eye test and numbers back that up. 23 goals scored in 21 games is just a standard terrible PL team record. The goals against records are both horrific.

The start and ends of the season have been a disaster (first 10/last 11, -48 GD, 4 Points). That middle spell, end of PH, start of CW (3 wins, 3 draws, 8 defeats, -21 GD) across a full season is 32/33 points.

So in summary, not been great
W 1 D 2 L 12 from 14 ??

… but we’re a laughing stock with a huge rebuilding project on our hands. Our reputation has been damaged by the on- and off-field stuff since late last season. It could be that he would be tempted by the project, but he could also think fuck that got a game of soldiers and decide to stick to where he’s already making a difference.
I wouldn’t blame him for not wanting it, but I know him and I think he’d be up for it. I’ve not spoken to him since I moved here but I know it’s a job he’d be interested in.

The only issue for him would be job security, he got away with a poor initial few months at Bolton because he sold it to the board as a project over a few years. They were shite until Christmas the first season but he had to sign a new squad and get them playing together, that’s what we need. He might not get that time and understanding at the Lane though.

My Bolton mate reckons they should have had automatics sewn up a while back and every time they had a chance to get themselves into the top two, they blew it. He reckons the squad is mentally weak and isn’t at all confident they’ll beat Barnsley. It surprised me a bit about an Evatt team. Time will tell I suppose, but if he gets Bolton up, chances are he’ll want to stay there.

I see Alexander Blessin may be playing CL football with USG having got into the Belgium pro league playoffs... I wonder if hes got his license yet??

This is the problem.

“Get rid of Wilder”

Replace with whom?

Current suggestion is Evatt. Never even managed at a level higher than League One.

Wilder has a promotion from the Championship not to mention a 9th place PL finish. When he was in the same division as Evatt last time he romped it with 100 points.

Nothing against Evatt at all. But he has no credentials to currently suggest he would be better than Wilder.

He’s just the next fancied name that’s come up.

Disappointing as it may be, being handed the keys to the Titanic when the iceberg is upon us was never going to be a fair reflection on his credentials.

At least give the bloke the summer window and see how he goes.

Besides which, Wilder clearly isn’t going anywhere. You may as well save your energy.

This is the problem.

“Get rid of Wilder”

Replace with whom?

Current suggestion is Evatt. Never even managed at a level higher than League One.

Wilder has a promotion from the Championship not to mention a 9th place PL finish. When he was in the same division as Evatt last time he romped it with 100 points.

Nothing against Evatt at all. But he has no credentials to currently suggest he would be better than Wilder.

He’s just the next fancied name that’s come up.

Disappointing as it may be, being handed the keys to the Titanic when the iceberg is upon us was never going to be a fair reflection on his credentials.

At least give the bloke the summer window and see how he goes.

Besides which, Wilder clearly isn’t going anywhere. You may as well save your energy.
Wilder had no credentials to say he would get us a 9th place finish in premier league as he had never managed above league 1 , no one knows what the future holds but I think the general consensus is let's step away from the past and look to appoint someone up and coming with a point to prove

I think the general consensus is let's step away from the past and look to appoint someone up and coming with a point to prove

In that case I’m not with the consensus.

I’d gladly appoint Cooper in the right circumstances, but that doesn’t happen (and shouldn’t happen), unless the ownership changes and we get an investment kick.

Back
Top Bottom