Time for Wilder until the end of the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A multi millionaire who likes a drink. Not at all judgemental. Can he make an improvement to this team? Probably yes would be my none back door, 6 million, shit my nappy opinion.
Where’s the judgement? I said I would be asking the question and it is an entirely valid one, especially if you’re going to be handing over a very large salary to someone.

I think I’d take it. Having watched us this season we have absolutely no idea what we’re doing, no game plan, no nothing. His game management is bizarre, subs too late in games and his interviews also worry me, he’s not watching the same game we are & then there’s the constant injuries.

Wilder wouldn’t be my first choice, but Hecky is on thin ground. I’m swaying towards saying it’s time for him to go

Agree... I would be asking that person the same question too.
One way to prove it is.......take the low paid 8 month contract to prove your desire.
Also if you're confident you can do a good job then you'll accept the low paid contract because you'll be paid a £1 million bonus if we stay up.

If the prospective manager is insisting on 3 or 4 year contracts with a high PL level salary, that shows what their real motivation is.

Again I'd be highlighting the potential difficulties for the new manager and asking for their opinion and why they think they'll succeed.
I'm agreeing with many of your reservations but there are reservations that apply to every manager we could appoint...they are all risks.

Football fans are notoriously fickle and the Prince is experienced enough to know this.
It was only last week 90% of fans were fully behind Hecky, now it seems a third at most are behind him, a big change in support after just 1 game.
My view is judge Hecky over 2.5 season not just the last few matches and judge Wilder over 4 season..what ever it was.

Also remember back to when we appointed Danny Wilson and how that split the fanbase.
We won and few and played well and all the dissenters went quiet.
Accept that a Wilder appointment isn't ideal but if the choice is keep Hecky or take the risk on Wilder (but only as a stop gap)

Then for me the choice is with Hecky we're 100% down with a serious possibility of challenging Derbys low points record
Where as with Wider I'd say we're 25% down but guaranteed to easily go past Derbys points total, also guaranteed more organisation and effort.
and as a Blade as long as we do our best going down fighting then I'm not too fussed and would still support us even in league 2.
But the choice isn’t to keep Hecky or take a punt on Wilder is it? There are many other choices.

Where’s the judgement? I said I would be asking the question and it is an entirely valid one, especially if you’re going to be handing over a very large salary to someone.
Let's be clear. I don't think Wilder is the answer to our current woes. Bringing in his personal wealth and accusing him of being a drinker is a bit of a low blow and frankly irrelevant. IMO he'd be getting more out of the current team than the present incumbent.

We can’t get a manager who isn’t a free agent as we don’t have the cash to pay for compensation. And realistically who would walk into this utter shitshow?

Give it Chris until the end of the season? Hopefully (please God have some mercy) we’ll have new ownership by then.
No no
No
No
No
Please no

But the choice isn’t to keep Hecky or take a punt on Wilder is it? There are many other choices.
I think Hecky has proved, sadly, he can’t get us firing
CW is wrong for all the reasons stated

New blood

Hastenhuttl did well, been out of work for a year so may be getting concerned he could becoming forgotten
Kept Saints up, blooded youngsters and would be capable of getting us up if we go down
If he will take our salary, I can’t think of anyone more suited

He wouldn’t see the season out when he was here and everything had turned to shit. He’s not done much since that 9th place finish so why anyone thinks he’ll save us must be mainlining deludamol.

Fair point but suspect the Prince has zero interest in the future.
He just wants us to stay up this season, so he can sell for a higher price.

Any new manager who is ambitious and decent will surely factor in that there's a massive chance they'll be managing in the Championship next season.
So they'll only come if we give them a massive salary for a decent number of years, don't think they'll want a relegaiton clause either.

Think it's the wrong time to look to the future regards an appointment.....think the Prince will be looking for a stop-gap.
He's seen with his own eyes how Wilder instantly changed performances with a structure in league 1.
He's also seem how Wilder can turn water into wine buy making weaker players outperform a beat teams consisting of much better individuals.

Logic suggests the time to look to the future is when the new owner arrive....they'll be itching to sack whoever is the manager at the time
so they can bring in their own man.
If he wanted us to stay up he should have spent more money on better players

Forget

About

Wilder

I agree that we may need to consider Hecky just isn't working. Can't say I'm happy that he's not quite cutting it because I like the guy but there is still a slim if incredibly unlikely chance of us rescuing survival this season and if Hecky going means we get that and the club think so then fair enough.

But for the love of all things please forget about Wilder. He's been nothing but a failure since he left us, he's soured the atmosphere at the Lane and he simply will not recreate that magic we had. Now don't get me wrong, if they appoint him I will back him but I think going backwards to try and emulate what we once had under him is just pure wishful thinking.

Adored Wilder for what he did at the club. We need to move on.

I think Hecky has proved, sadly, he can’t get us firing
CW is wrong for all the reasons stated

New blood

Hastenhuttl did well, been out of work for a year so may be getting concerned he could becoming forgotten
Kept Saints up, blooded youngsters and would be capable of getting us up if we go down
If he will take our salary, I can’t think of anyone more suited
He had better players at Southampton and we don't have any money to spend, can't see him doing anything

Let's be clear. I don't think Wilder is the answer to our current woes. Bringing in his personal wealth and accusing him of being a drinker is a bit of a low blow and frankly irrelevant. IMO he'd be getting more out of the current team than the present incumbent.
Agree apart from the last sentence no way would he sort this

give porter a chance to rebuild his career

1. No, it isnt even close, Clough worked miracles year after year.

2. Neither did Wilder. Both him and Bassett had a top division best finish of 9th.

I cant deal with peoole who re-write history...I'm oot 🤣🤣

Wow....you're not reading properly.....selective memories.....and I don't even like Wilder.

1: Lets use another club as an example. Cheltenham are currently bottom of league 1.
Would you say it needs a miracle for them to be challenging for a Champions league place in a few years?

If that happened, for me the Cheltenham achievement based on the impossibility scale would be comparable to someone taking over a good decent sized Championship side (like Middlesboro) , gaining instant promotion then giving them 100's of millions in the PL to buy some the best players and having them win the Champions league twice. (However the Champions League is a much harder competition to win compared to the European Cup because in the European Cup was the previous years best clubs not the current years best clubs and also you often never played anyone decent until the quarters or semi finals).

Both would be incredible miracles that would be hard to believe could be possible

2: Never mentioned finishing position....the 9th position finish was when our season fizzled out at the end due to the temporary suspension due to covid.
I watched most of the Bassett matches. It was an up and at'em Warnock style of football.
We had the big man upfront and used to knock long balls and crosses into him. We defended like lions and were generally established mid table most seasons.
We were lucky to have Brian Deane, played a few games (think to was 2) for England who caused terror amongst div 1 defences.

Where as the Wilder team had no star players or star strikers.
For 2 or 3 seasons, away fans used to say, they can't be that good they don't have any well known players.
We had average players under Wilder but someone how (thru loads of practice with lack of injuries) consistently played like a well drilled unit.

I've already said I don't think Wilder would keep us up, not sure anyone would, so logic says...let's build for the future
but I'm not sure (due to the takeover) the timing is right for that....so maybe we'll be forced to settle for a one season only stop gap.
If it's not Wilder then I wonder what Kevin Blackwells doing ;)

Wilder would be groundhog day. No thanks. He’s proved he doesn't work so why go back.

We need to think outside of the bubble of proud Yorkshiremen if we want to compete with the big boys.
Not exactly working for Bournemouth either though is it with the young, highly rated foreign manager. I don't think pep could keep us up quite honestly. I mean, two top end championship strikers, three if we class Brewster as a third, four half decent midfielders, four reasonable defenders and one decent goalkeeper, and maybe three pl players in the entire squad, it's hardly hecky's fault that.

We've just played lots of decent teams, ok Fulham the worst of them, but still it was away and we just need to play a bottom half team at home and we've had one of those all season. I don't count palace because we had such a crap team out.

Wow....you're not reading properly.....selective memories.....and I don't even like Wilder.

1: Lets use another club as an example. Cheltenham are currently bottom of league 1.
Would you say it needs a miracle for them to be challenging for a Champions league place in a few years?

If that happened, for me the Cheltenham achievement based on the impossibility scale would be comparable to someone taking over a good decent sized Championship side (like Middlesboro) , gaining instant promotion then giving them 100's of millions in the PL to buy some the best players and having them win the Champions league twice. (However the Champions League is a much harder competition to win compared to the European Cup because in the European Cup was the previous years best clubs not the current years best clubs and also you often never played anyone decent until the quarters or semi finals).

Both would be incredible miracles that would be hard to believe could be possible

2: Never mentioned finishing position....the 9th position finish was when our season fizzled out at the end due to the temporary suspension due to covid.
I watched most of the Bassett matches. It was an up and at'em Warnock style of football.
We had the big man upfront and used to knock long balls and crosses into him. We defended like lions and were generally established mid table most seasons.
We were lucky to have Brian Deane, played a few games (think to was 2) for England who caused terror amongst div 1 defences.

Where as the Wilder team had no star players or star strikers.
For 2 or 3 seasons, away fans used to say, they can't be that good they don't have any well known players.
We had average players under Wilder but someone how (thru loads of practice with lack of injuries) consistently played like a well drilled unit.

I've already said I don't think Wilder would keep us up, not sure anyone would, so logic says...let's build for the future
but I'm not sure (due to the takeover) the timing is right for that....so maybe we'll be forced to settle for a one season only stop gap.
If it's not Wilder then I wonder what Kevin Blackwells doing ;)

I think I read it properly and you did say "What Wilder did was up there with what Brian Clough did to Nottingham Forest in the late 80's, an absolute miracle, more than Leicester winning the league." - and to be honest, much as I loved the Wilder era, it wasn't up there with that at all.

Not exactly working for Bournemouth either though is it with the young, highly rated foreign manager. I don't think pep could keep us up quite honestly. I mean, two top end championship strikers, three if we class Brewster as a third, four half decent midfielders, four reasonable defenders and one decent goalkeeper, and maybe three pl players in the entire squad, it's hardly hecky's fault that.

We've just played lots of decent teams, ok Fulham the worst of them, but still it was away and we just need to play a bottom half team at home and we've had one of those all season. I don't count palace because we had such a crap team out.
I’m not saying our next manager has to be foreign. i’m just suggesting that we don’t restrict ourselves to the same old stereotype of english/yorkshire grit. It’s so old school and limiting.

If we replace hecky, which i think we should, then i’m just suggesting that we don’t restrict ourselves before we start. What are the benefits of a nationalist approach to a league with global appeal and international talent? There is none. There are good english managers but there are more numerous good foreign managers because the pool size is so much bigger. That’s the point i’m making and its exactly why in the English Premier League, English managers and players are outnumbered.

It’s a global league and therefore to succeed you need to have a global approach. For every bournemouth this season, there are far greater success stories using the best talents across the world than the best talents in just England or even the UK.

It’s not about foreign vs english. It’s about being open minded.

I don’t think it’s a low blow at all. Last thing we need is the reintroduction of a drinking culture into the club, and he does have previous on that. We’ve all seen it.

Regarding personal wealth, coming into large sums of money in a short period of time can absolutely lessen someone’s drive & hunger. In any walk of life. Not saying it has in his case, but I would want very clear indications that it hasn’t.

This era is definitively over. It's time to find a new identity

While he is on free he properly get the job now. International break now.

Anyone think any of the current front 3 can really the troops? Half time bollocking? Not a prayer. Saw this yesterday and numerous times before. Hecky doesn't have that kind of bite about him. We are weak as piss when it comes to battling.

So for me he has to go.

It's the current fashion of divisive thinking.

Where if they like someone they can do no wrong
If they don't like someone then they can rot in hell.

Personally couldn't care less if I like someone or not, just want the best available for the job in the circumstances.
and our circumstances are the owner wants out and trying to sell the club
So would be really surprised if he went for an ambitious expensive option with a long salary.
Surely he'll prefer a cheap stop gap option just until the end of the season and someone agreeable to work with McCall and Lester.

I've been supporting us for over 50 years and apart from Brian Clough never seen a managing miracle happen taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot, being 6th in the Premier League in the latter stages.

Cheltenham Town are currently in league 1.
Imagine if I said they've going to appoint a new manager and end up challenging near the top of the Premier League, that would seem impossible.

We didn't even have any star players with many of Wilder's players at best, average Championship standard. Thats why no one bid for them.

Never seen a Blades manager anywhere near as good in my 50 years.
We had one decent spell with Bassett but it was generally all about motivation, hard work and long ball (agree Hodges had skill).
Where as under Wilder we actually outclassed Man Utd in the 1st half at home, playing Real Madrid type football.
We also went away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at least matching them on football style and ability, that never got close to happening under Bassett or Warnock,
Real Madrid type football. How did that go?

It's the current fashion of divisive thinking.

Where if they like someone they can do no wrong
If they don't like someone then they can rot in hell.

Personally couldn't care less if I like someone or not, just want the best available for the job in the circumstances.
and our circumstances are the owner wants out and trying to sell the club
So would be really surprised if he went for an ambitious expensive option with a long salary.
Surely he'll prefer a cheap stop gap option just until the end of the season and someone agreeable to work with McCall and Lester.

I've been supporting us for over 50 years and apart from Brian Clough never seen a managing miracle happen taking a club from bottom of league 1 to challenging for a Champions League spot, being 6th in the Premier League in the latter stages.

Cheltenham Town are currently in league 1.
Imagine if I said they've going to appoint a new manager and end up challenging near the top of the Premier League, that would seem impossible.

We didn't even have any star players with many of Wilder's players at best, average Championship standard. Thats why no one bid for them.

Never seen a Blades manager anywhere near as good in my 50 years.
We had one decent spell with Bassett but it was generally all about motivation, hard work and long ball (agree Hodges had skill).
Where as under Wilder we actually outclassed Man Utd in the 1st half at home, playing Real Madrid type football.
We also went away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at least matching them on football style and ability, that never got close to happening under Bassett or Warnock,
The 6 0 win v Surs in 1993?

You're talking about who you like.....I prefer Bassett too.
Bassett used to regularly slate the team, loved his honesty but agree he didn't put the spotlight on individuals.
Don't mind the walking bit, makes no odds he was about the be sacked anyway.
If today Hecky announced he was walking, wouldn't think any less of him, tried his best but not good enough, he's a decent bloke and kept the seas quite calm.

Speak any neutral, compare the facts and you can't really compare Wilders achievements with Bassets achievements.
What Wilder did was up there with what Brian Clough did to Nottingham Forest in the late 80's, an absolute miracle, more than Leicester winning the league.
He has very average players but outplayed teams full of stars, how is that even possible?

Also Bassett never challenged near the top of div 1, taking on the best teams, at any point in his whole career.
To be fair probably the achievement and success went to Wilders head and understandably became arrogant.
Another point is covid times was surreal and a stress on everyone, don't blame anyone for acting strangely during that time.
Bassett did beat Liverpool at home and away.
Littlejohn, Flo come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom